• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

JulianImp

Looks like I either got it wrong the first time or they extended the sale, but it seems the Ace Attorney series (1+2+3, 5 and GAA) will actually be on sale on the JP eShop until March begins.

Jazz573

So uh GIGA is doing something, not sure what. But there was a link on the Baldr Heart site, about something called "Character1". Not sure exactly what that is. But the page does have some sweet looking shirts. Also they're having an event of some sort. Can someone with better Japanese skills translate it? I can PM the page if necessary.

Okay reading the site more, and also finding the Character1 site, it seems it's an event, that GIGA has a booth at? And they also have their own event planned there.

Alanae

So uh GIGA is doing something, not sure what. But there was a link on the Baldr Heart site, about something called "Character1". Not sure exactly what that is. But the page does have some sweet looking shirts. Also they're having an event of some sort. Can someone with better Japanese skills translate it? I can PM the page if necessary.

Okay reading the site more, and also finding the Character1 site, it seems it's an event, that GIGA has a booth at? And they also have their own event planned there.

yes, they're selling goodies, holding a mini lottery where you get one roll for each 3000 yen you spend at their shop, and most importantly they have a physical trail of baldr heart for visitors to try out.
is anybody going? Although I guess they'll have a downloadable trail out sooner or later anyway.

So, I've spotted both Dai Gyakuten Saiban (JP) and Virtue's Last Reward (US) are on sale on their respective eShops. The thing is I'm still pondering whether I should buy both (since that'd kind of stretch my gaming budget for this month), so I wanted to ask you guys for advice since the AA community hasn't replied after a couple days since I talked about it.

The biggest strike against DGS is that I still don't know enough kanji to fully understand what's going on even though I can still read enough of it to form a general concept of what's being discussed, which means I might end up missing out on vital pieces of information required to know which evidence to present or statement to press, for example.

On the other hand, I haven't played any other games in the zero escape franchise, so I don't know if I might be missing out on too many things due to that...

For reference, DGS is on sale for 50% off (so about 2.5K yen) until 04/18, and I think VLR is $15 until 04/21.

the phoenix wright games are very pun heavy so it would depend on how much you mind missing lots of those and the more subtle hints/clues giving during cross examinations/investigations.
But well, a 50% sale is good and it's not like you have to play it right away if you buy it.
If you're going to play it I'd recommend to try and get the hang of radical searching so you can look up words you don't know yet http://jisho.org/#radical .
edit: there's a trail of phoenix wright 6 you can use to see how well you'd manage http://www.capcom.co.jp/gyakutensaiban/6/trial_play/ .

JulianImp

yes, they're selling goodies, holding a mini lottery where you get one roll for each 3000 yen you spend at their shop, and most importantly they have a physical trail of baldr heart for visitors to try out.
is anybody going? Although I guess they'll have a downloadable trail out sooner or later anyway.

the phoenix wright games are very pun heavy so it would depend on how much you mind missing lots of those and the more subtle hints/clues giving during cross examinations/investigations.
But well, a 50% sale is good and it's not like you have to play it right away if you buy it.
If you're going to play it I'd recommend to try and get the hang of radical searching so you can look up words you don't know yet http://jisho.org/#radical .
edit: there's a trail of phoenix wright 6 you can use to see how well you'd manage http://www.capcom.co.jp/gyakutensaiban/6/trial_play/ .

Thanks for the link! It took me a while, but looking words up using radicals allowed me to get through it just fine. I won't be breaking any speed records on my playthrough since I'll often have to wade through looking up words, but then again I'd probably pick up lots of new ones while I'm at it and learn to recognize the kanji when they're used again over time, so it's win-win.

I'd also say I like the new mechanics they showed in the AA6 demo. Still, I kind of like Danganronpa more in how it handles the "listen to testimonies and spot contradictions" parts, and I guess that might be even harder for me to play through in Japanese... or maybe not, because I do have a wider vocabulary when it comes to listening compared to reading (so many kanji to remember).

grim-tales

Started on Lucid 9

The opening scene
with an assassin (?)/killer is pretty dark :eek:
But
Later Ryouta (the therapist) says "Let me know if you ever get the urge to murder someone"

HOLY SHIT :eek:
You're a murderer?

Started on Lucid 9

The opening scene
with an assassin (?)/killer is pretty dark :eek:
But
Later Ryouta (the therapist) says "Let me know if you ever get the urge to murder someone"

HOLY SHIT :eek:
You're a murderer?

I can't tell if this is speculation or a later game spoiler...

But I've been enjoying this so far.

Its getting better and better. What they actually want to port is not the pc version but the mobage adaptation of the game. Yes, you read it right ... the. mobage .version.

We want to make an English version of the currently released Japanese Mobage version of Chushingura46+1.

https://www.reddit.com/r/visualnove...ingura_461_prefundia_by_japan_content/d24ws4r

https://www.reddit.com/r/visualnove...ingura_461_prefundia_by_japan_content/d261z40

That description of the Mobage version sounds really awful, even if there's no believe they're adopting the mobile version's business model. Were they not able to license the Vita assets for this?

This project still seems like such a disaster.

That description of the Mobage version sounds really awful, even if there's no believe they're adopting the mobile version's business model. I don't know why they aren't just using the Vita version of the game.

This project still seems like a disaster.

Its basiclly the VN (not sure if its the complete game) with added gacha elements.

t73yX11.png

And since Next Ninja, Ltd. is managing this kickstarter its means that this is a port of the android mobage version. The Vita version on the hand was developed by Dramatic Create and they are not mentioned on the prefundia what concludes my assumption that they are not involved with this project.

*Note: Visuals/assets courtesy of inre, Inc.

The promotional trailer shown on this page is from the PC software version released in Japan, and from the official Youtube channel of ChuShinGra 46+1, provided courtesy of Next Ninja, Ltd.

Im not sure but at this point i would label this kickstarter fraud lol

There are so many misinformation on the page its not even funny anymore.

JulianImp

I finished my playthrough of Higurashi Kizuna 1 getting the regular onikakushi ending, so I'm now looking around for alternate routes, since I actually expected separate episodes with minor branching choices rather than multiple arcs using the same starting point and branching based on a couple choices you make.

My only gripe with some of these is that new branch options are sometimes locked behind tips, and it and the mood wheel are both opaque ways of giving the player choices at several points through the story. It's also a bit weird how the game doesn't help you by highlighting your current route in order to make mixing and matching choices easier. For example, I got to an alternate route where Keiichi and his dad visit Angel Mort and meet Shion, but then the story just branched back into the Onikakushi route; I later read online that there's a separate arc where Shion actually matters, but that Irie doesn't shop up during the Angel Mort scene in that route.

I can get Keiichi's reactions to his everyday life with the girls shaping up the story, but things such as Irie showing up feel like pretty arbitrary things that are beyond the player's control, since Keiichi doesn't even know who Irie is at that point, for example.

Guess I'll experiment some more to see how things change after I read some more tips, but it's a shame that Kizuna being a Japan-only game means it's hard to find stuff such as route maps (and I ended up stumbling upon one for the first game in the Crunchyroll forums).

Alanae

Hopefully the original devs don't get the wrong idea about why the kickstarter keeps failing :(

I finished my playthrough of Higurashi Kizuna 1 getting the regular onikakushi ending, so I'm now looking around for alternate routes, since I actually expected separate episodes with minor branching choices rather than multiple arcs using the same starting point and branching based on a couple choices you make.

My only gripe with some of these is that new branch options are sometimes locked behind tips, and it and the mood wheel are both opaque ways of giving the player choices at several points through the story. It's also a bit weird how the game doesn't help you by highlighting your current route in order to make mixing and matching choices easier. For example, I got to an alternate route where Keiichi and his dad visit Angel Mort and meet Shion, but then the story just branched back into the Onikakushi route; I later read online that there's a separate arc where Shion actually matters, but that Irie doesn't shop up during the Angel Mort scene in that route.

I can get Keiichi's reactions to his everyday life with the girls shaping up the story, but things such as Irie showing up feel like pretty arbitrary things that are beyond the player's control, since Keiichi doesn't even know who Irie is at that point, for example.

Guess I'll experiment some more to see how things change after I read some more tips, but it's a shame that Kizuna being a Japan-only game means it's hard to find stuff such as route maps (and I ended up stumbling upon one for the first game in the Crunchyroll forums).

you can try searching for: name of game + 攻略
I'm guessing it's these?
http://games.gaym.jp/DS/higurashi_ds/
http://games.gaym.jp/DS/higurashi_ds2/

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully the original devs don't get the wrong idea about why the kickstarter keeps failing :(

I wish it was easier for westerners to get in touch with devs/publishers in Japan. So few groups look for global input, but it's nice to see those that do.

*sigh* I sure looked forward to Beastmaster too, but yeah :/

JulianImp

you can try searching for: name of game + 攻略
I'm guessing it's these?
http://games.gaym.jp/DS/higurashi_ds/
http://games.gaym.jp/DS/higurashi_ds2/

Yup, that's it! The two later games apparently aren't on that site, but I guess I should be able to find them elsewhere with the kanji for 'strategy guide'.

Guess I'll check the additional routes out soon, since I'm looking forward to both experiencing the VNs (since I only watched the anime adaptation before playing this) and the extra content they fit into the DS games. I actually got the first three game's collector editions while in Japan, and a friend of mine will be bringing me the fourth game (regular edition though), so I'll have the full collection soon.

While I'll probably keep supporting later MangaGamer releases of Higurashi on Steam, I'll probably prioritize them less since the DS ones are pretty good, have a couple important scenes that use voice-overs compared to MG's having no voices at all and include extra story lines that'll probably take a while to get translated since we haven't seen MG's Episode 3 released yet.

Yuuichi

The whole thing is a mismanaged, deceptive disaster; I'd imagine it's clear there's interest but frankly "Japan Content" and friends seem more like a few greedy people just trying to cash in on a rapidly growing market with a good bit of money involved than a company interested in releasing a quality product.

also, hi, new guy(/gal)

Kieli

How is Gahkthun?

That it is written by the person responsible for Fate/Extella and CCC and whatnot doesn't inspire in me the greatest confidence. Not to say the stories in those games were bad, but they were nothing special.

How is Gahkthun?

That it is written by the person responsible for Fate/Extella and CCC and whatnot doesn't inspire in me the greatest confidence. Not to say the stories in those games were bad, but they were nothing special.

Huh? Sakurai didn't write for CCC and how can you even judge the writing of Extella when it's not released? Sakurai's writing is good, and it is generally praised for the quality of its prose, which doesn't come through in most translations, though Gahkthun's translation is quite good. The Steampunk series as a whole is noted for the quality of its writing.

The part of Lucid9 that's released ends on one hell of a cliffhanger. I played this free VN without knowing much about it and without much in the way of expectations, but it ended up being a nice surprise. It has a lot of angst, but I think it actually pulls it off well with some good character writing and dialogue.

StereoVsn

Huh? Sakurai didn't write for CCC and how can you even judge the writing of Extella when it's not released? Sakurai's writing is good, and it is generally praised for the quality of its prose, which doesn't come through in most translations, though Gahkthun's translation is quite good. The Steampunk series as a whole is noted for the quality of its writing.

So, how is the game then? Would it be as interesting as to Steins;Gate (amazing), AA (very good), Danganronpa (good to very good), Clannad (somewhat depressing), Muv-Luv (yet to play)? Is it more like Grisaia (didn't like), G-senjou (yet to play) or say Cho Dengeki Stryker (average)?

For Fate/Whatever I saw some of the anime series episodes and they seemed kind of meh. Fight animation was very good but storywise - eh... mediocre.

StereoVsn

It's basically a cross between Revolutionary Girl Utena and Demonbane.

Huh, the first part sounds pretty great as the Anime was original as hell considering on when it was released. Second part I am not sure as I never played/saw Demonbane? Can you elaborate more?

grim-tales

Really like Lucid 9 so far, some of the lines are really funny
like the part where you imagine you're married to your childhood friend, and watch the anime series xD

jonjonaug

Huh, the first part sounds pretty great as the Anime was original as hell considering on when it was released. Second part I am not sure as I never played/saw Demonbane? Can you elaborate more?
Episodic, ridiculous setting/story/characters, an over the top writing style, etc.

It's mostly the structure that's similar to Utena. Arcs focused on individual student council members as your opposition. Though Gahkthun isn't as good as Utena and doesn't have the same thematic strength. The Demonbane comparison is mostly about the

Gahkthun Steam keys are up on your account page for those who bought it early.

Sharin no Kuni Prefundia page is live. The goal is $140,000. The fandisc is a 240k stretch goal.

At the helm of this ambitious project is Frontwing, which has put together a team of professional translators made up of native English speakers and visual novel experts. Our localization team will work hard to deliver the best reading experience possible, creating a heavily revised translation based on the original scripts by TLWiki (see FAQ for details).
We hope to release this game in September 2016, on Steam. As the original game contains scenes with adult content, these will be replaced by less explicit scenes to ensure there are no holes in the narrative. These scenes will be newly translated. We estimate that the game will contain over 20 hours of gameplay, depending on your reading speed.
Localization: The Frontwing Translation Team
A brand new in-house translation team formed to localize games for the English-speaking market. Every member of the team is a native, or native-level, speaker of English. They have experience translating games, anime and manga, and have spent many years studying Japanese and Japanese-English translation.

Here are a few words from the translation team:
"Hi everyone, it's great to finally meet you all! As fans of the game ourselves, we are committed to creating a definitive version of Sharin that does justice to the original work. While we can't reply to questions and comments individually, we know how important it is to respect and listen to fans of the game. With little information about who we are, it's understandable that people may have some misgivings about us, but we hope we can begin to build trust with everyone from this point on."
Q: Are you going to be using the fan translation?
A: While we have permission from TLWiki to use the existing fan translation, it will only be used for reference, and the localization team will be carefully combing through it for translation, wording, and other errors. As a result, the official version will be heavily edited, although some similar passages may remain.

Jazz573

Memory's Dogma development update #5

The Release Schedule of Memory's Dogma

We've translated a new blog post from LizArts with a development update about Memory's Dogma.

The production of Memory’s Dogma has been progressing nicely, and we are happy to announce the schedule for Memory's Dogma. We had been working on the schedule since last year.

- “Memory’s Dogma” will be a multi-part release

- The first chapter was the story we wanted to write when this project began, and it was originally planned to be the common route for the first week.

- We are planning to release the Japanese version in August 2016, and the dual-language version sometime between September and November 2016.

- The Japanese version (physical release) is planned to coincide with the dates for Summer Comic Market. However, it may be later.

- If there are delays, only the dual-language version will be released.

- The story is planned to be divided into 2-4 game releases.

- Kickstarter supporters will get all of the digital releases as they become available.

When the Memory’s Dogma project started in 2013, it was originally planned to have a mainline scenario as the base story, and other routes were going to be branched off from the main story as sub-stories. It was going to consist of roughly 80% mainline and 20% sub-story branches. 

However, with this successful Kickstarter, we decided to increase the total amount of scenarios and as well as improve the overall quality of the game (of course, this also includes improving the background art and audio). As a result of digging into each character’s story more deeply, we created a main scenario for each of the heroines (Reina, Haruna, Akane, and Ema). 

Doing so has enabled us to give heroines their own unique stories and characters, and write about their own problems that they are facing, which we couldn’t accomplish in the previously-planned structure. This is one of those amazing things about crowdfunding. This is all thanks to those of you who supported us on Kickstarter.

We announced once last year that we had reconsidered and reconstructed the layout of the story scenarios before entering production. More scenarios simply meant that there were more materials to be made and thus more time needed. Even if we had rushed production of the game, there was no guarantee that we would be ready in time for Winter Comic Market in December. Besides, making a game quickly ultimately means we have to “not make” something in order to reach a deadline. Even now, we still have to do that to some extent.

For the sake of all of our supporters on Kickstarter, and the rest of you who are looking forward to playing the game, we wanted everyone to be able to play the game as soon as possible, and to ensure that the game is worth playing.

To determine how we could make a high quality game and release it as soon as possible, we consulted with Sekai Project and many others who offered their advice and support. The final decision we made was to pursue a multi-part release. We are planning to release the Japanese version in August 2016, and a dual-language release between September and November 2016.

That being said, we are working on the Reina route for the first chapter, as this was originally going to be the main story route. Since this was planned to be the common route for the first week, we thought it would be the best to have this come out first in terms of the overall story flow. Although it is possible that the release of the Japanese packaged version will be after September, we are trying our best to make it in time for Summer Comic Market in August. The number of Japanese packaged editions that will be distributed will be low, since we are going to release the dual-language version as soon as the English translation is complete. The overall story is planned to be divided into 2-4 game releases.

We are not completely sure how to divide the story yet, but we would like to split it in the best way possible for the scenarios to make sense. We are thinking of dividing this into two releases, and if this is not possible, we will have a maximum of four. Our Kickstarter backers are going to receive all of the 2-4 games, no matter how many releases the title is divided into. We are going to continue to do our best, and we would like you to stay with us as we work to bring Memory’s Dogma to the public.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We're still working out how to deliver the physical versions to backers. As shipping each game individually will be very costly. We're also going to try something a bit new this time. We would like to get backer's opinion gathered on our forums so we can better organize and search comments. So please give us your ideas or thoughts on this latest update here.

Anko

Starlight Vega.
Backed this to support yuri VNs.

Finally, an OELVN that doesn't make me cringe. Just wish the standing art were a bit more consistent with the CG art.

Scherza
for best girl. Can't believe they left her as a stretch goal.

Top Bottom