• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

grim-tales

Well, got to say Lucid 9 was really good. Very funny in places with a great story IMO :)
Especially for a free VN the detail and music is outstanding, the writing is sharp, witty and suspensful, and made me think about things happening in my own life :)

I really enjoyed, thanks! :D

So apparently I can't actually buy the physical edition of Seinarukana anymore? I get an error that USPS is unavailable and it doesn't let me select any shipping method.

Edit: It only works if I try to buy it logged in as a guest. Weird.

grim-tales

Apologies for jumping the gun about Lucid 9
Fuck, that ending was one hell of a cliffhanger! But it was so sad :( :( :(
Why Rui?! WHY?!! :(

I hope one day we can see the rest of the story, it was excellent. Well written story (reminded me how much I love mysteries), good art and music.

grim-tales

I hope we can read the rest of the story of Lucid 9 soon, I'm just....

200_s.gif

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
After The House of Fata Morgana English Demo I got an itch for more VN. Are there any like Fata Morgana in terms of style (Not the usual anime art) and tone?

cj_iwakura

Finally finished the Robotics;Notes anime, so I guess I'm ready to go after the only one I haven't experienced; the Chaos;Head VN(I know the anime isn't an option).

Robotics;Notes' VN might be tighter, but the anime draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagged. It took 18 episodes to accomplish what seven easily could have, even with the Kimijima report crap. The twists were great, but took way, way too long.

It also never had the urgency of S;G, but I realized early on it wasn't meant to be as epic as S;G. It's more of an intimate story, and I like that about it.

Finally finished the Robotics;Notes anime, so I guess I'm ready to go after the only one I haven't experienced; the Chaos;Head VN(I know the anime isn't an option).

Robotics;Notes' VN might be tighter, but the anime draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagged. It took 18 episodes to accomplish what seven easily could have, even with the Kimijima report crap. The twists were great, but took way, way too long.

It also never had the urgency of S;G, but I realized early on it wasn't meant to be as epic as S;G. It's more of an intimate story, and I like that about it.
I hear the Robotics;Notes VN also really dragged, but the ELITE rerelease improved the pacing.

We should place bets on when we get the "Root Double is delayed, Regista is still working on it, it will come out in May" backer update. I'm guessing April 30th.

They sure as hell won't mention Regista in the update text.

I don't see where this confidence is coming from. SP implying that their partner is holding it up is something they do all the time. A line about how they are still working on it in Japan would not be surprising.

Wtf, that's one hell of a stealth release.
It was in limbo forever and then people got notices that their physical copies were shipping. A bit later the digital version was available for download.

Knurek

I don't see where this confidence is coming from. SP implying that their partner is holding it up is something they do all the time. A line about how they are still working on it in Japan would not be surprising.

They didn't mention Regista so far, neither on the Kickstarter nor on Steam forums. Might just be an NDA they signed, who knows...

jzbluz

Looks like the successor to photo kano was announced http://gematsu.com/2016/04/photo-kano-producer-announces-reco-love-ps-vita

Has a video recording gimmick this time. For those learning Japanese, the dating sims made by this team (kimikiss/amagami/photokano) are an order of magnitude easier than like any other VN.

Been tempted to buy Photo Kano since it's pretty cheap, but I haven't really kept to my resolution of playing VN to improve my Japanese, and I have tons of Japanese VNs. Buying VNs that I won't read has practically become a habit by now.

Mexen

Finally, I have a reason to post here. I just beat Trigger Happy Havoc and a few hours ago, I started 999 and I like it so far. I am fairly new to the genre, so new, in fact, that I found out Steins;Gate anime was based on a VN just a few months ago (it's one of my favorite anime, I watch it in between programming breaks)

Back to Danganronpa and 999.

Other than their sequels, which titles do you recommend that involve mystery and puzzles or just have their feel because I am digging this kind of VN.

I will be getting Phoenix Wright soon but I am looking at something called Sakura Spirit. A friend of mine also recommended Higjschool Possession. I dunno if the meet the criteria I want but if they are any good, I will make arrangements to purchase them.

Guide me, VN Senpais

Edit 1:
I have this steam VN about Star craft but I have not played it extensively. I feel like I would need to revisit Star craft first. Only got it because I was looking for free VNs and JRPGs on Steam.

Edit 2 : SC2VN that is the title

jonjonaug

The Ace Attorney games, Higurashi, and Umineko are all good mystery VNs. People who like Danganronpa and 999 also usually like Steins;Gate so I'd check that out too.

Mexen

The Ace Attorney games, Higurashi, and Umineko are all good mystery VNs. People who like Danganronpa and 999 also usually like Steins;Gate so I'd check that out too.

Coming across these for the first time, naturally... I will be sure to check them out. Thanks. I have seen Steins;Gate a fair amount of times, I wonder if my VN experience will be heavily affected negatively (like already knowing the plot, for instance).

Jazz573

Finally, I have a reason to post here. I just beat Trigger Happy Havoc and a few hours ago, I started 999 and I like it so far. I am fairly new to the genre, so new, in fact, that I found out Steins;Gate anime was based on a VN just a few months ago (it's one of my favorite anime, I watch it in between programming breaks)

Other than their sequels, which titles do you recommend that involve mystery and puzzles or just have their feel because I am digging this kind of VN.

I will be getting Phoenix Wright soon but I am looking at something called Sakura Spirit. A friend of mine also recommended Higjschool Possession. I dunno if the meet the criteria I want but if they are any good, I will make arrangements to purchase them.

Guide me, VN Senpais

Edit 1:
I have this steam VN about Star craft but I have not played it extensively. I feel like I would need to revisit Star craft first. Only got it because I was looking for free VNs and JRPGs on Steam.

Edit 2 : SC2VN that is the title

Sakura Spirit and the rest of its series are not worth your time. Highschool Possession probably isn't either, since its dev is known for mediocre games.

I hear the upcoming Root Double -Before Crime * After Days- is very much in the same vein as 999 (though it doesn't have "escape the room" puzzles or anything like that). It should be coming out on Steam any day now any month now probably this year.

jonjonaug

Coming across these for the first time, naturally... I will be sure to check them out. Thanks. I have seen Steins;Gate a fair amount of times, I wonder if my VN experience will be heavily affected negatively (like already knowing the plot, for instance).
S;G has one of the few really good VN->anime adaptations and there's certain things it does better than the VN even, but the VN has its own strengths too and is worth checking out.

Knurek

I hear the upcoming Root Double -Before Crime * After Days- is very much in the same vein as 999 (though it doesn't have "escape the room" puzzles or anything like that). It should be coming out on Steam any day now any month now probably this year.

I like your
unfounded
optimism.

Jazz573

Don't think it's coming on this worldline. :p

Top Bottom