• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Jazz573

I know, I just found the way it was phrased amusing.

But I think Gahkthun's sex scenes could be cleaned up to a Steam acceptable standard without impacting them on a story level. There aren't even that many CGs worse than what was is in Kindred Spirits.

Oh okay. Sorry about that. Yeah you're right they aren't that hard to clean up to be acceptable for Steam.
Obviously that one scene would need to go away, and it honestly bothered me a ton. If you've played it, I'm sure you know what scene I mean. In fact that scene is one reason I'm hesitant to recommend it to people who aren't so keen on sex scenes.

Li Kao

Oh okay. Sorry about that. Yeah you're right they aren't that hard to clean up to be acceptable for Steam.
Obviously that one scene would need to go away, and it honestly bothered me a ton. If you've played it, I'm sure you know what scene I mean. In fact that scene is one reason I'm hesitant to recommend it to people who aren't so keen on sex scenes.

Care to expand a little on what all the fuss is here ? What's this scene you speak of ? I mean the 'What a wonderful' series has always picked my curiosity but it never stroke me as shocking. Now I'm curious / afraid of your answer.

Oh and casually browsing English VN fans' reviews is not a good thing T_T. I have just been hyped during one long article about a game that I see now was never localized. I didn't read the whole thing so maybe that's a divisive game, but the love for Dies Irae was real in this. Shit. No localization.

I'm playing Xblaze Code Embryo now and finished Hinata ending. I'd say it was quite avarage but I still want to clear other routes - since which ending you get is decided by reading TOI articles which that character also read - is it possible to somehow check this without reading article ?

Or save/load is the only option ?

I'm playing Xblaze Code Embryo now and finished Hinata ending. I'd say it was quite avarage but I still want to clear other routes - since which ending you get is decided by reading TOI articles which that character also read - is it possible to somehow check this without reading article ?

Or save/load is the only option ?
Once you beat the game once there are icons on the TOI articles that tell you which characters they correspond with before reading them.

Li Kao

Care to expand a little on what all the fuss is here ? What's this scene you speak of ? I mean the 'What a wonderful' series has always picked my curiosity but it never stroke me as shocking. Now I'm curious / afraid of your answer.

Anyone ?

Knurek

Oh god, that hacking scene in Eve: Burst Error.
If only the whole of game was like that... All those Clinton jokes are trying my patience.

Li Kao

Being new to VN there is a question that came to mind a few days ago, surely a very basic question, mind you.
Why are some big VN untranslated ? I don't mean officially as the reasons are quite guessable (publishing rights or lack of interest in your current editorial direction I guess), but on the amateur front ? Browsing the English VN community there is this feeling that some VN are simply not possible.
Muramasa, Dies Irae, Baldr Sky... and I must forget a lot more.

Why ? Is it because of size, of language complexity, of nasty DRM blocking the application of a fan trad ?

jonjonaug

Being new to VN there is a question that came to mind a few days ago, surely a very basic question, mind you.
Why are some big VN untranslated ? I don't mean officially as the reasons are quite guessable (publishing rights or lack of interest in your current editorial direction I guess), but on the amateur front ? Browsing the English VN community there is this feeling that some VN are simply not possible.

Why ? Is it because of size, of language complexity, of nasty DRM blocking the application of a fan trad ?

Difficulty, length, good chances of an official translation someday or just being C&Ded, etc.

Most of the good fan TLers who would have done one of those games (Makoto with Muramasa for example) do official work now.

Some japanese publishers want a lot of money, more than others.
Afaik the eushully games arent translated, even though some western publishers were interested in it, because they want far too much money.

And some might not even want their games to be published outside of Japan. I remember a few years ago some VNs had some message, that said that these games arent intended for foreigners, so there might also be some xenophobic reasons.

It's been awhile since I've read a visual novel, since I'm only interested in reading them on a portable and I am getting impatient waiting for Zero Time Dilemma. I pledged for Muv-Luv, but it doesn't seem to be coming out on Vita until next year. So I was looking into what is available and thought about picking up Code: Realize. The reviews seem to be good and the fact that it uses literary characters seems interesting, but people don't seem to be talking about it very much here.

However, there does look to be the potential for quite a few interesting upcoming vita releases. Besides Muv-Luv and ZE3, on vita it seems we have Root Letter and Root Double confirmed for the west, both of which look good but they don't look like they will be released anytime soon. I'm really hoping for localization announcements for Eve: Burst Error, Rewrite, Steins;Gate 0 and Yu-No as well. Do we expect any of these to make their way over to the west this year?

It's been awhile since I've read a visual novel, since I'm only interested in reading them on a portable and I am getting impatient waiting for Zero Time Dilemma. I pledged for Muv-Luv, but it doesn't seem to be coming out on Vita until next year. So I was looking into what is available and thought about picking up Code: Realize. The reviews seem to be good and the fact that it uses literary characters seems interesting, but people don't seem to be talking about it very much here.

However, there does look to be the potential for quite a few interesting upcoming vita releases. Besides Muv-Luv and ZE3, on vita it seems we have Root Letter and Root Double confirmed for the west, both of which look good but they don't look like they will be released anytime soon.

Root Letter is coming this Summer. And Muv Luv may very well come to the Vita this year.
I'm really hoping for localization announcements for Eve: Burst Error, Rewrite, Steins;Gate 0 and Yu-No as well. Do we expect any of these to make their way over to the west this year?
Almost certainly none will come this year, but Rewrite and S;G 0 are a possibility to come eventually, though I don't think Rewrite would be localized for the Vita. None of Visual Arts' localized titles are coming anywhere but PC right now and I don't expect that to change.

Li Kao

Difficulty, length, good chances of an official translation someday or just being C&Ded, etc.

Most of the good fan TLers who would have done one of those games (Makoto with Muramasa for example) do official work now.

Thank you for the input, I hadn't considered the translator "level" here. I mean the fact that for some titles you need talented people and that these people are already working in the industry and can't translate these titles anymore.

Some japanese publishers want a lot of money, more than others.
Afaik the eushully games arent translated, even though some western publishers were interested in it, because they want far too much money.

And some might not even want their games to be published outside of Japan. I remember a few years ago some VNs had some message, that said that these games arent intended for foreigners, so there might also be some xenophobic reasons.

Thank you too !
About the xenophobic point, well, let's remember the gigantic fuss the west made for titles like Rapelay and co, which in turn heated up the Japanese situation. I won't look for excuse for the more concerning traits of some VN, but it makes sense to me that after all this the players were greeted by a "westerner, fuck off, we didn't make this game for you" message.

Root Letter is coming this Summer. And Muv Luv may very well come to the Vita this year.

Almost certainly none will come this year, but Rewrite and S;G 0 are a possibility to come eventually, though I don't think Rewrite would be localized for the Vita. None of Visual Arts' localized titles are coming anywhere but PC right now and I don't expect that to change.

Hmm, I know that Root Letter's Japanese release date is June 16th and I read on one site that it would come west later this year, but summer seems very optimistic to me. I wouldn't be surprised if Muv-Luv Unlimited / Extra is available to download on Vita by the end of the year, but since I pledged at the physical level I am expecting a long wait into next year. This is coming from past kickstarter experiences, where I have yet to see a game deliver all its physical goods within a year of its campaign.

Hmm, I know that Root Letter's Japanese release date is June 16th and I read on one site that it would come west later this year, but summer seems very optimistic to me. I wouldn't be surprised if Muv-Luv Unlimited / Extra is available to download on Vita by the end of the year, but since I pledged at the physical level I am expecting a long wait into next year. This is coming from past kickstarter experiences, where I have yet to see a game deliver all its physical goods within a year of its campaign.

Root Letter claimed that it would have a simultaneous worldwide release.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
With Psycho-Pass as a game, I wish I bought the original premium edition as well, but I had no interest at the time for it. It's been long OOP and goes for a big amount now, for some reason :/ But I feel like I need to watch it to enjoy the VN as well, and of course, would want the premium editions... Bleh.

Root Letter claimed that it would have a simultaneous worldwide release.
Thanks. That's great, that makes two games to look forward to in June!

If you missed the news:
Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness (PS4, PS Vita, PC) - September 16th

http://nisamerica.com/games/psycho-pass/
I had never heard of this game before now but it looks good too. On first glance I like that the protagonists are not in high school and I like detective stories in cyberpunk settings.

That is promising.

Arthea

Is that Psycho Pass VN even good?
I never finished watching series, so I would be interested in a VN.
Or is it not the same plot as in anime series?

edited: oh wait, it's only being made? so nobody knows how good it is

Knurek

When we are getting not bleak Umineko, btw?

Have you even read Umineko past the summary?

It makes Saya no Uta and Psycho-Pass both look like child stories...

It's been out in Japan for a while.

XBONE exclusive though, so nobody bought it... :\

I wasn't being sarcastic, I really wanna Umineko, I thought you knew!

I'm just saying the whole series is way more depressing than one would assume from your message.

Anko

Ok. This is huge for me.

I don't know if this is already known, but Amazon Japan now allows all aged PC games to be shipped overseas. I know there was a whole thread on shipping console games previously, but last I checked, not a single PC game could be shipped. I have now ordered my third copy of Flowers Aki-hen just so I can get it next day on a Saturday.

Thank you Amazon. Thank you DHL.

Jazz573

Ok. This is huge for me.

I don't know if this is already known, but Amazon Japan now allows all aged PC games to be shipped overseas. I know there was a whole thread on shipping console games previously, but last I checked, not a single PC game could be shipped. I have now ordered my third copy of Flowers Aki-hen just so I can get it next day on a Saturday.

Thank you Amazon. Thank you DHL.

I've run into a few games that say they'll ship. But further down they also say they won't ship internationally. And when I click estimate shipping it says it can't be sent.

Fake Edit: Seems it's just a message and can be ignored. Guess they still need to fix that.

Knurek

Still no news about the shocking announcement from MangaGamer. Fuck it, we are next week ^_^

I wish we had some news, any news as to Root Double.
We're nearing two weeks since last KS update, I'm slowly losing hope the game will be released before Muv-Luv. :(

I actually think Resette's Prescription looks really great.

I like it that SP seems to be releasing more Doujin games in the west and at least they choose the good ones ;)

JulianImp

So, I've spotted both Dai Gyakuten Saiban (JP) and Virtue's Last Reward (US) are on sale on their respective eShops. The thing is I'm still pondering whether I should buy both (since that'd kind of stretch my gaming budget for this month), so I wanted to ask you guys for advice since the AA community hasn't replied after a couple days since I talked about it.

The biggest strike against DGS is that I still don't know enough kanji to fully understand what's going on even though I can still read enough of it to form a general concept of what's being discussed, which means I might end up missing out on vital pieces of information required to know which evidence to present or statement to press, for example.

On the other hand, I haven't played any other games in the zero escape franchise, so I don't know if I might be missing out on too many things due to that...

For reference, DGS is on sale for 50% off (so about 2.5K yen) until 04/18, and I think VLR is $15 until 04/21.

So, I've spotted both Dai Gyakuten Saiban (JP) and Virtue's Last Reward (US) are on sale on their respective eShops. The thing is I'm still pondering whether I should buy both (since that'd kind of stretch my gaming budget for this month), so I wanted to ask you guys for advice since the AA community hasn't replied after a couple days since I talked about it.

The biggest strike against DGS is that I still don't know enough kanji to fully understand what's going on even though I can still read enough of it to form a general concept of what's being discussed, which means I might end up missing out on vital pieces of information required to know which evidence to present or statement to press, for example.

On the other hand, I haven't played any other games in the zero escape franchise, so I don't know if I might be missing out on too many things due to that...

For reference, DGS is on sale for 50% off (so about 2.5K yen) until 04/18, and I think VLR is $15 until 04/21.

add a 5 dollars on top of that, get 999 off of Amazon (20 bucks IIRC), have the ride of your life, not even mind paying full price for VLR

JulianImp

add a 5 dollars on top of that, get 999 off of Amazon (20 bucks IIRC), have the ride of your life, not even mind paying full price for VLR

Living in Argentina means Amazon either doesn't ship here, or shipments tend to get "lost" in customs. So no, Amazon is not an option unless you're sugesting I purchase it digitally somehow. Even in that case, there'd be no need to buy it now unless it's on sale.

Living in Argentina means Amazon either doesn't ship here, or shipments tend to get "lost" in customs. So no, Amazon is not an option unless you're sugesting I purchase it digitally somehow. Even in that case, there'd be no need to buy it now unless it's on sale.

Aw, that sucks. :(

This is why we need a 3DS/Vita remaster of 999... sigh.

I'd say DAA, then. VLR without playing 999 is just... no. NO.

creid

There is an iOS port of 999, not sure if it made it to Android as well. Should be cheaper than a DS copy.

There is an iOS port of 999, not sure if it made it to Android as well. Should be cheaper than a DS copy.

I don't recommend it at all. A bit more convenient and has updated graphics, sure, but 999 is a worthy experience on DS alone. iOS doesn't do it the slightest justice.

Arthea

Removes all puzzles (as well as some -rather important IMHO- character interaction that takes place during them), arguably gutting the game's pacing, and also plot reasons.

I still can't understand why would they do something like this to their own game.

Top Bottom