• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Marche90

A link.

And it's getting an Indiegogo campaign. Sigh.

This was the VN that they announced that was going to be released first in the west, right? I know they are an established brand and theoretically they don't need a KS/IGG campaign, but I'll hold on my judgement of the whole thing for now until I get more info. Can't exactly access the main site here at work, since I don't know how worksafe it is (I spotted in the FB page that it's going to have an 18+ edition, so there's that)

I hope they don't ask for much money, at the very least

Uhh so, anyone here know how to read this Root Double guide https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...86dtkLgBR_ug/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=1187074196 ?? If the answer's "Yu-7", does it mean I have to adjust the bar of the person's whose name starts with Yu one "tick" from full (assuming empty is 0, full is 8 "ticks")? What's with the [A1]? Or [A2], [A3]? I'm eternally grateful for a guide day one to whoever it is that made this, but damn son, it could be a bit clearer.

Also, do I need to get the bad endings? There seem to be a lot and if they're just "filler", I'd rather skip em.

It is a confusing guide, there needs to be a key for it. The red answers are bad endings and I think the number is the amount of ticks, but it's not very clear.

XY = Root X Ending Y

So A1 would be Root A Ending 1, A2 would be Root A Ending 2, and so on.
A is used for all routes, so this doesn't work.

Javier

So what's the deal with Root Double? Is it by the same team that did the Infinity series? Is it up with those VNs in the "HOLY SHIT WUT" factor?

I got an answer to the A# thing in the Root Double guide.
After you get a root's best ending, you can use Answer Mode in it. This lets you directly select every possible option in its branches. You can ignore this if you haven't unlocked a root's Answer Mode yet.
If I'm understanding this right it seems to be a signifier of which branch/outcome you're choosing from that dialogue.

So what's the deal with Root Double? Is it by the same team that did the Infinity series? Is it up with those VNs in the "HOLY SHIT WUT" factor?
It's from the director of the Infinity series, not the entire team. It has a lot in common with those games, but it's supposedly not as heavy on the twists. Though I just started playing it.

Yuuichi

A link.

And it's getting an Indiegogo campaign. Sigh.

Haha, I didn't realize there was a campaign until I saw this. There's already an OP movie done from what I saw on the site (I didn't actually watch it), and Frontwing is one of the more successful VN companies, at this point it's just audience exploitation.

I'd bet money it'll be another flexible funding campaign and that the game is getting released regardless.

I'm also confused as to why it's in parts.
Fear of releasing $60 games? Chasing that nekopara crowd?
I don't understand the Japanese approach to the English market anymore.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I'm also confused as to why it's in parts.
Fear of releasing $60 games? Chasing that nekopara crowd?
I don't understand the Japanese approach to the English market anymore.

I've stopped trying to understand. Some have become more progressive with following global fans via social media, and implementing ideas/suggestions. I understand that international businesses operate differently... I don't think they understand that sometimes, though.

Considering that, I am curious with what it means for Nintendo's reconstructuring. Sounds more progressive but who knows. Most companies are still clueless.

Shizuka

I feel kinda bad saying that if you don't want companies making several Kickstarters for projects that don't need one, just stop backing their Kickstarters, but there are a few that really wouldn't happen without a Kickstarter, so...

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I feel kinda bad saying that if you don't want companies making several Kickstarters for projects that don't need one, just stop backing their Kickstarters, but there are a few that really wouldn't happen without a Kickstarter, so...

Yeah you really can't win either way :/ I hate the whole mentality of "oh I guess no one wants this..." if it doesn't go as planned.

Shizuka

Yeah you really can't win either way :/ I hate the whole mentality of "oh I guess no one wants this..." if it doesn't go as planned.

That said, the only VN KS I backed was Muv Luv, despite buying Kickstarted games on Steam like Clannad and Fruit of Grisaia.

The only blanket policy I have against Kickstarters is to not back higher tiers anymore (though I broke this with Muv Luv) otherwise I just take each one on its own.

OniBaka

Looking at steam sale, what VN do you guys recommend or read first?

I only read WORLD END ECONOMiCA 1 and 2 on steam.

My wishlist consist of below.

fault - milstone
Sound of Drop
Lucy
Notch
Root Double
Clannad
Higurashi When They Cry

root double is really making me question some events. it's been a while since i'm glued to a VN like that

Best money i've spent on a VN since a long time.

Knurek

root double is really making me question some events. it's been a while since i'm glued to a VN like that

Best money i've spent on a VN since a long time.

How's the translation? As bland as the Fuwanovel review painted it to be?
Also, what about QA? Any typos you've seen so far?

fault - milstone
Sound of Drop
Lucy
Notch
Root Double
Clannad
Higurashi When They Cry

Sound of Drop is nice and not really long. 5-7 hours, depending how fast you can read. It really reminded me a bit of Ever17 (the setting) and of other late 90s/early 00s VNs.

How's the translation? As bland as the Fuwanovel review painted it to be?
Also, what about QA? Any typos you've seen so far?

i'm Way deep into the "after" route , and most of the problem of that review were in the "before "route ..

So far , nothing stood out .. i don't really know if the translation is making me make mistakes or if the game is supposed to be that "deceptive" on your stance for some events.
i actually took several bad end route when i trully saw the problem way ahead of when i was supposed to make a choice but failed to properly adjust

For the translation : it's not bad , it's good most of the time and some passages seems "rough" at first glance but then the game justifies those later so i'm inclined to think it's great ? I'm missing context for the full picture but that would mean that if there are errors , they aren't bot that obvious to me.

No typo so far ( today is my last day of work before my holidays so i'm planning for some big play session tonight , more infos tomorrow if you want to wait )

Knurek

No typo so far ( today is my last day of work before my holidays so i'm planning for some big play session tonight , more infos tomorrow if you want to wait )

I still have 3 chapters of Danganronpa 2 to play, not to mention the School Mode, so it'll still be at least a week before I can start Root - no worries there.
Looking forward to your impressions.

Aselia is out for Steam now for $12. It's well worth that price for anyone looking for a strategy RPG/VN combination.

And Ozmafia seems to be doing pretty well. It's in the top 10 of the Steam sales chart. That's way better than Tokyo Babel and Gahkthun did. Or Root Double.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Aselia is out for Steam now for $12. It's well worth that price for anyone looking for a strategy RPG/VN combination.

And Ozmafia seems to be doing pretty well. It's in the top 10 of the Steam sales chart. That's way better than Tokyo Babel and Gahkthun did. Or Root Double.

"Release Date: Nov 3, 2011"
That's... a little misleading about Aselia :p Technically it was, but um not for Steam...

Good to hear an otome title doing well!! Actually pretty surprised it beat the others, especially with all the press Gahkthun did (which made big enough numbers to top the "now trending" on Facebook one day).

JulianImp

fault - milstone
Sound of Drop
Lucy
Notch
Root Double
Clannad
Higurashi When They Cry

Higurashi has only had the first two episodes released on Steam so far (out of eight main episodes and several gaiden ones), and each of them is a full story that when together slowly reveal a larger meta-narrative that connects them with each other. It's definitely a good choice if you're into mysteries and psychological horror, but be aware that you'll be investing quite a bit of time if you intend to get the whole story (which is worth it, IMO).

I always thought that Aselia first chapters were really good . Too bad that the gameplay becomes so annoying afterwards

Still a fun game

PhleBuster

Neo Member

I second this. It's pretty old now, but a really solid SRPG. Story's quite good and that part early on about not knowing the language of the world you're summoned to adds a nice unusual touch, but the real meat is the brutal, unforgiving strategy part with absolutely 0 luck involved.

Also for those unaware, Aselia's prequel to Seinarukana and story-wise it makes sense to play it before that.

Yuuichi

I second this. It's pretty old now, but a really solid SRPG. Story's quite good and that part early on about not knowing the language of the world you're summoned to adds a nice unusual touch, but the real meat is the brutal, unforgiving strategy part with absolutely 0 luck involved.

Also for those unaware, Aselia's prequel to Seinarukana and story-wise it makes sense to play it before that.

I'm here to third(?) the recommendation, it's among the best strategy titles I've ever played. You have to be willing to understand the interplay of it's systems to succeed, but the removal of luck and challenging scenario make it all the more rewarding. It's a bit dated in terms of overall asset quality, but the story is well executed.

So true at the bolded. At some point i was thinking that maybe i could take my time and proceed carefully and i realised that the game wasn't forcing me to be on the offensive. It was only later , much later that i didn't have ressources left .
I went "OH Sh-t" and realised that the game was telling me , in a not subtle way that you can't win wars by taking your sweet time.

Lesson learned.

------------------------------------------
In other news, fault MS1 and MS2 were updated this morning ( on steam ) :

A maintenance release for the ongoing sale!

For those following the ms1 Vita edition progress on our Patreon, this may not be the update you are looking for. Stay tuned!

Minor surprise feature: ms1 now understands enough of the pre-3D Camera version saves to put you back at the start of the chapter you were on. Hopefully this helps those with old saves.

milestone one v5.12, milestone two side:above v2.03:

•Text clipping is gone.
•Fixed a glitch with text scroll starting too early.
•The ms1 demo no longer incorrectly marks achievements as granted.
•Engine update; fullscreen works properly on Windows when DPI scaling is enabled.
•Further general fixes.

Very happy about the changes , even as i'm still dying to know about MS2 side : below .. i want screens , trailers , something , dammit

Root Double starts off well though a lot of information is being delivered at the onset, there is a lot of mystery and intrigue to keep you playing. Enjoying it so far.

Jazz573

So Eve R has an option between original and nostalgic music. It seems the original soundtrack is actually based on the Sega Saturn version. Which is fine, because I like that version. Nostalgic is more arranged.

Javier

Finished the main story in Kindred Spirits on the Roof after taking a break from it for a while. That ending hit all the right feels.

Looks like there are plenty of extra scenes to play. I'll check them out more sparsely, though.

I'll be moving to Root Double next.

Anko

Blessed EMS and AmiAmi, delivering Lilycle Rainbow Stage in time for the holiday weekend.

Lilycle Rainbow Stage started off a bit confusing for me with its huge cast but they're growing on me quick. It's got a calendar and event selection like Kindred Spirits and an ensemble cast too (a total of 15 chars!). I am liking the new characters like Saeka quite a bit. From the look of things, we will be with our characters for the span of 12 months.
Rytda8j.jpg
bvmjF9a.jpg
(Images taken from VNDB and the official site)
So far it's all cutesy yuri SoL but I can't sit through it for long periods of time at one go without an actual plot to sustain me. I'm not saying that it's boring (they are really cute and funny and the characters are mostly likable) but I'm more used to having an actual plot to keep me going as opposed to just cute every day life interactions. The same goes for Kindred Spirits... which I am still not done with, as blasphemous as it sounds. Even the Flowers series have their mysteries. So I guess I'll be taking this in doses.

I do like how there are a lot of scenes which involve a large number of characters just hanging out as friends, in addition to scenes where the couples are on their own. The narrative perspective changes around a lot so we get to look at things from many character's pov. The couples are more or less already paired up, since there were 3 original drama CDs on which this is based on where 3 couples were established. There is, however, a trio of completely VN exclusive characters whose relationships may depend on our choices? Will it be one where all three of them get along fine? Or will a pairing come out of the three?
(Image taken from VNDB, spoiler tagged because event CG)
Still, I'm enjoying Lilycle RS quite a bit and would never complain about having too much yuri in my life.

Edit:
Oh yes. Did I mention that it has quite the cast?
Nishino Tamaki Voiced by M.A.O
Sakuraba Yuun voiced by Kimura Juri
Takatsuki Saeka voiced by Terui Haruka
Ayasaka Ayumi voiced by Ookubo Rumi
Hitsuji Seira voiced by Fujita Saki
Kagami Hare voiced by Matsui Eriko
Kasugai Mio voiced by Akasaki Chinatsu
Kugayama Alice voiced by Uchida Aya
Mariya Natsuki voiced by Kanemoto Hisako
Oribe Ibuki voiced by Ootsubo Yuka
Segawa Ayame voiced by Takamori Natsumi
Shiina Mai voiced by Uchida Maaya
Shiina Mayu voiced by Asakura Azumi
Uzaki Waka voiced by Suzaki Aya
Wakamiya Hina voiced by Mikami Shiori

Knurek

Steam version confirmed?

//Edit:

Danganronpa 2 Chapter 5 spoilers:

I don't understand how the case could have been considered anything other than a suicide. Even if Nagito went to all the trouble to cause a situation when someone else is the direct cause of death, it's not like the 'culprit' did so willingly. He was just a tool Nagito used here, not unlike a baseball bat or an elevator or whatever else was the murder weapon previously.

hamchan

Pirating has pretty much been the norm for visual novels until recently and that's hard to break. I'd say just give it time. Steam gives them a lot of potential for sales.

That number is heartbreaking, it easily exceed my most optimistic estimation of sales numbers by a lot :(
This is the norm for all software, though western VN fans being unwilling to pay for full-priced releases is a concern. At least Kindred Spirits and Ozmafia are selling well even if Gahkthun and Tokyo Babel underperformed. Root Double's performance doesn't seem great out of the gate, but that's obfuscated by so much of the day 1 audience for it getting Kickstarter keys.

Anyone know how long a typical root double route is?

Just finished the "After" route, i took 9 hours.

During those 9 hours i got 6 bad ends

But goddam if that wasn't worth it. my mind if full of questions and that last twist was much unexpected.

The SSS system is really welcome. I does apport a certain element of gameplay that is certainly welcome in that situation. The game tells you that ignoring it will come to bit you later and damn it almost did. Some elements are Very intense because of that system

The bad ends .. the bad ends are so good... i really didn't like the bad ends in 9,9,9 but root double, they really are so well done.

So after 9 hours, no typos , the translation is satisfactory , i haven't seen anything that was an obvious error. My only complain is that i wish i knew all the keyboard keys functions so i could play only with my keyboard and no mouse ( on my bed )

Now off to the BEFORE ROUTE ! ( the game's already in the 8/10 range ) and i'm unsure whenever i've played 1/3 or 1/4 of it

Top Bottom