• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

So I am enjoying Zero Time Dilemma, but I am going a bit slow since I haven't had much time this past week. My vita is getting a lot of love lately and it seems like there are a bunch of visual novels coming in the next year that I hope I will have time for.

I have Muv-Luv coming from the kickstarter and will definitely be picking up Steins;Gate 0 since I loved Steins;Gate. It seems like I would enjoy Psycho-Pass as well since I like cyberpunk settings, but it is getting hard to keep track of all these upcoming games. Is there a good place that lists all upcoming visual novels in English for vita?

Shizuka

So I am enjoying Zero Time Dilemma, but I am going a bit slow since I haven't had much time this past week. My vita is getting a lot of love lately and it seems like there are a bunch of visual novels coming in the next year that I hope I will have time for.

I have Muv-Luv coming from the kickstarter and will definitely be picking up Steins;Gate 0 since I loved Steins;Gate. It seems like I would enjoy Psycho-Pass as well since I like cyberpunk settings, but it is getting hard to keep track of all these upcoming games. Is there a good place that lists all upcoming visual novels in English for vita?

I've done a few lists in the past, I'll probably do another soon. I stopped making them because everyone has a different definition for visual novels.

I've done a few lists in the past, I'll probably do another soon. I stopped making them because everyone has a different definition for visual novels.

That's great thanks. Are there any others I should be keeping an eye out for if my preference is for games in the sci-fi / psychological thriller genres or visual novels with adventure game elements? Thanks.

jonjonaug

Looking at Twitter, it looks like MG may have one more game. nbkz announced a new game from minori coming out in early 2017. Tweets say the game may be more experimental like eden, and that they're aiming at a simultaneous or near simultaneous release in Japan and internationally.

EDIT: I'm already at the airport, didn't go to the panel myself sadly.

Shizuka

Yes, I already played both of them. I liked them, but I am not sure I want to play the upcoming third version. I was thinking about Root Double, but I only have a 8 GB memory card and it seems to be too long and bloated.

Root Double isn't out for the Vita yet. For upcoming releases, you might be interested in Root Letter as well.

soc

Root Double isn't out for the Vita yet. For upcoming releases, you might be interested in Root Letter as well.

My hype for Root Letter has pretty much deflated after reading Amazon JP reviews (the top "positive review" is a satire post lol.) Mostly brutal takedowns of the scenario and the main character. To be fair, Amazon JP usually has a lot of early negative reviews.

Also checked Root Double size on JPSN and it's terrifyingly huge at 3.6 GB, guessing it'll be around the same size for the Western release.

Shizuka

My hype for Root Letter has pretty much deflated after reading Amazon JP reviews (the top "positive review" is a satire post lol.) Mostly brutal takedowns of the scenario and the main character. To be fair, Amazon JP usually has a lot of early negative reviews.

Also checked Root Double size on JPSN and it's terrifyingly huge at 3.6 GB, guessing it'll be around the same size for the Western release.

I thought Root Double was over 8GB, which is why it didn't get a retail release in Japan.

But if that was the case, I'm sure the team would've been able to squeeze another 300MB to make it fit. Weird.
I guess they didn't want to introduce compression artifacts.

Just look at how the Blazblue Vita ports turned out, the audio compression was horrendous.

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien: Rumbling Hearts is being localized based off the fan translation, to no one's surprise.

The anime version of this is my guiltiest pleasure, and I never played the fan translation, so I'm actually a little excited for this. Minus some of the endings..ergh.

I'd love to play an Otome game with female love interests. Do those even exist? (as in not Yuri bait for men, but actually written for women)

jzbluz

The anime version of this is my guiltiest pleasure, and I never played the fan translation, so I'm actually a little excited for this. Minus some of the endings..ergh.

I'd love to play an Otome game with female love interests. Do those even exist? (as in not Yuri bait for men, but actually written for women)

There's one or two games that have a Yuri route, but none of them are in English. Kindred Spirits is not otome, but it's supposed to be pretty good and not just Yuri bait for guys.

Shizuka

I caught a throat infection, so I'm looking for help with the Umineko OT graphics. I'd really appreciate help with that, but if not, the OT will still go up, but somewhat basic in that department.

Still on a weird VN mood this month, so I decided to pick up Steins;Gate for PC. Figured its been long enough since I watched the anime that I forgot most stuff and the journey will be entertaining.

That being said, holy shit 800x600 resolution is brutal. I have a choice of playing it by squinting or by being so pixellated everything looks censored. Really should've gotten it for the vita, or waited for the HD version.

StereoVsn

Still on a weird VN mood this month, so I decided to pick up Steins;Gate for PC. Figured its been long enough since I watched the anime that I forgot most stuff and the journey will be entertaining.

That being said, holy shit 800x600 resolution is brutal. I have a choice of playing it by squinting or by being so pixellated everything looks censored. Really should've gotten it for the vita, or waited for the HD version.
PS3 is higher res. Personally I played just fine on the PC (zoom using accessibility features might be possible) or set monitor to lower res to make Windowed mode bigger.

PS3 is higher res. Personally I played just fine on the PC (zoom using accessibility features might be possible) or set monitor to lower res to make Windowed mode bigger.

S:G's fullscreen mode works perfectly fine on modern Windows last time I checked (unlike some older VNs), why would you need to use zoom?

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Sharin no Kuni KS has pretty much stalled for the past few days.
Will defo not make it if nothing changes.

RIP crowdfunding VNs. Everyone jumped on board, but not all of us have infinite money to pledge. There's still one popping up every couple months, but hasn't been as bad as the last 2 years. This one I don't think was really advertised that much, but I think it's about time that the crowdfunding slows down, just a little. Some devs put all their eggs into one basket, I feel.

RIP crowdfunding VNs. Everyone jumped on board, but not all of us have infinite money to pledge. There's still one popping up every couple months, but hasn't been as bad as the last 2 years. This one I don't think was really advertised that much, but I think it's about time that the crowdfunding slows down, just a little. Some devs put all their eggs into one basket, I feel.

It's that and Sharin no Kuni's KS has had very little promotion. They haven't even been able to get sites to write about its existence. You can't just put a KS with a 140k goal out there and expect it to propagate itself. Hopefully this failure doesn't kill off Frontwing's interest in future localization efforts.

Is that a hint that they may release the 18+ version in the future?

It's a response to all the blowback SP has been getting the last few days as some of their employees or proxies have been spewing bile at the VN community, so much that even MangaGamer people were commenting on how terrible SP's PR and community management is.

Shizuka

It's a response to all the blowback SP has been getting the last few days as some of their employees or proxies have been spewing bile at the VN community, so much that even MangaGamer people were commenting on how terrible SP's PR and community management is.

Oh, I just needed some context. I feel sorry if Audi's has to clean up this mess.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I'm not really sure what it is. It's just fairly small and fits into about a quarter of my monitor unless I blow it up to fullscreen, in which it looks blurry. Just wanted to bitch about it, really.

It's cool! It might help to turn off the bilinear filter since that's pretty much just a blur filter.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
It's that and Sharin no Kuni's KS has had very little promotion. They haven't even been able to get sites to write about its existence. You can't just put a KS with a 140k goal out there and expect it to propagate itself. Hopefully this failure doesn't kill off Frontwing's interest in future localization efforts.

Yeah these goals just keep getting higher and higher, making it tougher. I also hope that frontwing will rethink not what they bring, but how they bring it. KS/Indie isn't the miracle system that many publishers think it is.

Yuuichi

Ouch, why so much? I can get a figure shipped from Japan for less than 1000Y :/

uhh
what?

Rates just went up too, are you shipping pictures or something?

I usually pay 1800-4000 (depends on amount and shipping type) for mixed media, which is generally smaller and lighter.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
uhh
what?

Rates just went up too, are you shipping pictures or something?

I usually pay 1800-4000 (depends on amount and shipping type) for mixed media, which is generally smaller and lighter.

Here's a list of my last few purchases of figures:

Shipping: 1,090 JPY - large nendo (start of June)
Shipping: 680 JPY - reg size nendo (end of May)
Shipping: 1,590 JPY - 3 figures - larger box (end of May)

I haven't imported anything since to see the price go up, but looks like it is a bit higher for the June purchase. Still, $20 in dollar currency for ONE physical copy of a game? Assuming it comes in a box and it is similar to say, the Clannad one SP sent out, I have a hard time seeing why it would be THAT much. Similar size, slightly more weight, but I don't think it would be $20 of weight.

Yuuichi

A list of all my orders off Amiami for the last two years
Shipping: 2,400 JPY (1 Game) (Oct 2015)
Shipping: 4,560 JPY (3 Games) (Jan 2015)
Shipping: 6,240 JPY (6 Games, but it was lightbox so it was basically a brick in disguise (several hundred page artbook)) (Nov 2014)
Shipping: 3,360 JPY (3 Games) (Jul 2014)
Shipping: 2,720 JPY (1 Game, 1 CD) (Jun 2014)
Shipping: 2,720 JPY (1 Game) (May 2014)

While I always ship ems (and in some cases basically have to) SAL is never cheaper than 2000円, so there's basically no point since the stuff I buy is expensive enough to make the insurance worth it. All the stuff I get from amazon through my reshippers is similar in cost, though that's usually a lot more CDS.

Even off amazon.jp, a single cd costs me 1200円 as of right now.
b9bf2138e7.png

I think the Punchline visual novel is getting localized.
I think lots of things every day. Gonna have to back that one up.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
A list of all my orders off Amiami for the last two years

While I always ship ems (and in some cases basically have to) SAL is never cheaper than 2000円, so there's basically no point since the stuff I buy is expensive enough to make the insurance worth it. All the stuff I get from amazon through my reshippers is similar in cost, though that's usually a lot more CDS.

Even off amazon.jp, a single cd costs me 1200円 as of right now.

Wow ok yeah I never use EMS, so maybe that's the difference right there. SAL, although has had me worried a few times with orders that took a while, has never been that pricey. Even on Amazon.jp.

Aku-Audi

Oh, I just needed some context. I feel sorry if Audi's has to clean up this mess.

Its not really a mess. We got the agreement 2 days before AX which doesnt mean we have all the details what that fully entails in terms of different versions, which the company constantly tries to get. AX took a lot of energy and strength out of all of us, so I dont mind Dovac venting a bit towards people who jump to conclusions. I see people crying, but I'm waiting for actual confirmation rather than blow smoke up people's asses. He could have probably left it at the first 2 tweets, but eh he's tired.

Was great meeting some of you at AX though, sadly I had to tend to a hospitalized staff member most of the weekend due to an accident. Strangely none of you came up and said you hated me or anything mean about us at all in person.

Shizuka

Umineko When They Cry |OT| This game will not have a happy ending

Also:

Its not really a mess. We got the agreement 2 days before AX which doesnt mean we have all the details what that fully entails in terms of different versions, which the company constantly tries to get. AX took a lot of energy and strength out of all of us, so I dont mind Dovac venting a bit towards people who jump to conclusions. I see people crying, but I'm waiting for actual confirmation rather than blow smoke up people's asses. He could have probably left it at the first 2 tweets, but eh he's tired.

Was great meeting some of you at AX though, sadly I had to tend to a hospitalized staff member most of the weekend due to an accident. Strangely none of you came up and said you hated me or anything mean about us at all in person.

If I went to AX, I'd have given you a hug for all the trouble you go through. For that and to ask for Grisaia on the Vita ASAP.

Aku-Audi

If I went to AX, I'd have given you a hug for all the trouble you go through. For that and to ask for Grisaia on the Vita ASAP.

I got a few of those actually. Always appreciated.

But yeah, patience people. Let us actually have the answers before you demand we give it to you, sending death threats via Twitter and whatnot ain't gonna do a lick of difference. I understand 18+ is this mythical deal breaker for many and that anything else is censorship the likes of North Korea, but with barely days passed since the agreement was struck (as was mentioned 5 times at the panel), just show some understanding that the company needs to actually work in the midst of AX craziness and aftermath.

Yuuichi

I'm not really sure what it is. It's just fairly small and fits into about a quarter of my monitor unless I blow it up to fullscreen, in which it looks blurry. Just wanted to bitch about it, really.

It's 1280x720, which is still pretty standard. You can try fiddling with your gfx cards options to throw some extra filtering on it or to downsample it.

Wow ok yeah I never use EMS, so maybe that's the difference right there. SAL, although has had me worried a few times with orders that took a while, has never been that pricey. Even on Amazon.jp.

I remember distinctly on the most recent thing I bought EMS was 2000円 because I had a "why would anyone ever do this lol" moment.

Top Bottom