• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Except there is a tier with both...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Translation Status Update July 17 from /r/visualnovels

Originally from /jp/ on 4chan

Fuwanovel version

Woah. Didnt see that.

But yeah. I dont know. I dont want to play a 11 year old VN, that actually already got a TL-patch 6 years ago.

Considering half the Muv Luv thread right now is "selling my Steam key" I can't really blame them.

Isnt that mostly because they will wait for the Vita version?

Just watched the Supipara Opening, since I usually like Minori titles.

Judging by the Opening that game seems quite boring. Looks like some typical slice of life game with some magic thrown into...

I finally made my way through Saya no Uta after several years of planning to get through it, and... I don't know, I feel a bit mixed on it.

While I think that the horror elements of the novel were superb, and it kept me on the edge of my seat, I have a couple reasons why I can't fully get behind this one. First and foremost, the ero content was truly revolting and I'm having a hard time understanding how this game is so highly recommended to beginners. Like, yeah, I get that it's a perfect example of a short VN that wastes no time getting to the mystery (as someone who intends to write a VN in the future, I find it extremely admirable because of that), but I seriously can't imagine telling someone new to the genre that this is a game they should check out. I feel like it would convince most people that the genre is nothing but stories written around perverted sexual trash. While I know that it is essentially a requirement for most eroge to succeed in Japan, I think now there are so many series (Zero Escape, Hotel Dusk, Ace Attorney, Danganronpa) that are much better as far as "gateway drug" games are concerned, and even after that I'd recommend that people go into something like Fate/Stay Night or Ever17 before going into something like this. I'll accept, though, that I live in the United States and therefore my view on sexual content is possibly very different from the rest of the world's, and definitely Japan's. In other areas it may not seem like that big of a deal, but to me it was pretty gross.

My second complaint has more to do with the downfalls of being a short VN. Although it was engaging from a thriller perspective, I never really started caring much about the characters, and it felt like none of them really got their chance to reveal themselves to me as interesting people. When they died, I didn't care. This made me thankful for the slower, more slice of life parts in other VNs (especially stuff like Higurashi and STEINS;GATE) because when the shit hit the fan in those, I found myself DEEPLY caring about the characters and the screwed up situations that they found themselves in. This game, unfortunately, fell short there. Also, the endings, while conceptually brilliant, seemed sudden and as if they were missing that little extra "something" to make it feel like a proper conclusion. Right now, even though I kind of like the vague feeling of it, I still feel like the game really needed a true route, or an after-credits sequence, or SOMETHING.

So... yeah. I guess my overall impression is that it's a pretty solid VN, but not really something I'd recommend for those new to the genre. I'd give it a 6/10 on the scale of what I've played thus far.

cj_iwakura

I finally made my way through Saya no Uta after several years of planning to get through it, and... I don't know, I feel a bit mixed on it.

While I think that the horror elements of the novel were superb, and it kept me on the edge of my seat, I have a couple reasons why I can't fully get behind this one. First and foremost, the ero content was truly revolting and I'm having a hard time understanding how this game is so highly recommended to beginners. Like, yeah, I get that it's a perfect example of a short VN that wastes no time getting to the mystery (as someone who intends to write a VN in the future, I find it extremely admirable because of that), but I seriously can't imagine telling someone new to the genre that this is a game they should check out. I feel like it would convince most people that the genre is nothing but stories written around perverted sexual trash. While I know that it is essentially a requirement for most eroge to succeed in Japan, I think now there are so many series (Zero Escape, Hotel Dusk, Ace Attorney, Danganronpa) that are much better as far as "gateway drug" games are concerned, and even after that I'd recommend that people go into something like Fate/Stay Night or Ever17 before going into something like this.

My second complaint has more to do with the downfalls of being a short VN. Although it was engaging from a thriller perspective, I never really started caring much about the characters, and it felt like none of them really got their chance to reveal themselves to me as interesting people. When they died, I didn't care. This made me thankful for the slower, more slice of life parts in other VNs (especially stuff like Higurashi and STEINS;GATE) because when the shit hit the fan in those, I found myself DEEPLY caring about the characters and the screwed up situations that they found themselves in. This game, unfortunately, fell short there. Also, the endings, while conceptually brilliant, seemed sudden and as if they were missing that little extra "something" to make it feel like a proper conclusion. Right now, even though I kind of like the vague feeling of it, I still feel like the game really needed a true route, or an after-credits sequence, or SOMETHING.

So... yeah. I guess my overall impression is that it's a pretty solid VN, but not really something I'd recommend for those new to the genre. I'd give it a 6/10 on the scale of what I've played thus far.

F S/N has some really, really revolting trash too. And it drags like no other. I'd NEVER recommend it to a beginner. Or, uh, anyone.

Yuuichi

Just watched the Supipara Opening, since I usually like Minori titles.

Judging by the Opening that game seems quite boring. Looks like some typical slice of life game with some magic thrown into...

I mean, Sakura no Uta fits that description and it's probably the best game I've ever played, so...

F S/N has some really, really revolting trash too. And it drags like no other. I'd NEVER recommend it to a beginner. Or, uh, anyone.
I liked it a lot and never really thought it dragged (at least, not once I got used to the characters), but I also played it after having played through 20+ish VNs, so maybe I'm off base by suggesting it. I also haven't played Heaven's Feel yet (one of these days!). Even so, I had a pretty strong emotional experience with the Fate route in particular, and I think that it's a great example of the type of powerful experiences the medium is capable of.

cj_iwakura

I liked it a lot and never really thought it dragged (at least, not once I got used to the characters), but I also played it after having played through 20+ish VNs, so maybe I'm off base by suggesting it. I also haven't played Heaven's Feel yet (one of these days!). Even so, I had a pretty strong emotional experience with the Fate route in particular, and I think it's a great example of what the medium is capable of.

All the trash is in UBW and HF.

Especially HF. UBW is the best route, but even then you have
random trashy sex because why not.

Unless you played the edited version. Even those have hours upon hours of UNLIMITED COOKING WORKS.

fertygo

I don't know F/SN is pretty safe to recommend to beginner, peep that usually want into these thing usually not anti to random anime blabbering hijink

All the trash is in UBW and HF.

Especially HF. UBW is the best route, but even then you have
random trashy sex because why not.

Unless you played the edited version. Even those have hours upon hours of UNLIMITED COOKING WORKS.
Hmm, yeah.
The scene in the Fate route I was okay with, because the way it was written was actually quite emotional in a way that made it seem, at least to me, that it served a purpose of added character development in somewhat of a mature way (at least, mature in comparison to almost all other shitty sex scenes I've had to play through during my wild foray into the wacky world of VNs), but the UBW scenes just felt tacked on. I had been expecting it at that point, so it was just an eye roll, but even so I was disappointed after the first one convinced me that maybe that kind of content CAN have a place in a VN's story where it actually adds to the experience instead of detracts from it. The sexual content in HF is actually what has made me take so long to play it, I was very excited to go into it riding off of the amazing hype of UBW, but then I heard that it has like six sex scenes instead of one or two, and that makes it sound pretty unappealing to me.
I'd play the all-ages version, but I have a weird OCD thing about missing content that drives me nuts, so... I guess I'll just have to endure it. Maybe it should be my next game just to get it out of the way and decide if it's good as a whole or not, lol. I'd say that it could be the worst route of any game I've played, though, and I'd still probably think F/SN was great simply because of Fate/UBW's overall strength.

I also found the cooking stuff to be not THAT bad if I remember correctly, but like I said, I've gotten really used to VNs doing similarly ridiculous things to give excuses for calmer moments with the characters (never forget
kick the can
in Ever17). I like the characters in Fate enough at this point that I don't mind sitting through it. It's kind of like hanging out with old friends at this point.

I don't know F/SN is pretty safe to recommend to beginner, peep that usually want into these thing usually not anti to random anime blabbering hijink

Well it was the first visual novel I read, it's actually a fairly common one that got people into VNs. Though I suppose that was ages ago when VNs were barely known in the West and certainly weren't widely accessible like they are now.

cj_iwakura

Hmm, yeah.
The scene in the Fate route I was okay with, because the way it was written was actually quite emotional in a way that made it seem, at least to me, that it served a purpose of added character development in somewhat of a mature way (at least, mature in comparison to almost all other shitty sex scenes I've had to play through during my wild foray into the wacky world of VNs), but the UBW scenes just felt tacked on. I had been expecting it at that point, so it was just an eye roll, but even so I was disappointed after the first one convinced me that maybe that kind of content CAN have a place in a VN's story where it actually adds to the experience instead of detracts from it. The sexual content in HF is actually what has made me take so long to play it, I was very excited to go into it riding off of the amazing hype of UBW, but then I heard that it has like six sex scenes instead of one or two, and that makes it sound pretty unappealing to me.
I'd play the all-ages version, but I have a weird OCD thing about missing content that drives me nuts, so... I guess I'll just have to endure it. Maybe it should be my next game just to get it out of the way and decide if it's good as a whole or not, lol. I'd say that it could be the worst route of any game I've played, though, and I'd still probably think F/SN was great simply because of Fate/UBW's overall strength.

I also found the cooking stuff to be not THAT bad if I remember correctly, but like I said, I've gotten really used to VNs doing similarly ridiculous things to give excuses for calmer moments with the characters (never forget
kick the can
in Ever17). I like the characters in Fate enough at this point that I don't mind sitting through it. It's kind of like hanging out with old friends at this point.

I deliberately played the unedited version because of how 'important' that content is to HF, and I call BS.
Absolutely nothing that the revised version couldn't do instead. It's sick at worst(Shinji), tasteless at best(Sakura's private time).

jonjonaug

I deliberately played the unedited version because of how 'important' that content is to HF, and I call BS.
Absolutely nothing that the revised version couldn't do instead. It's sick at worst(Shinji), tasteless at best(Sakura's private time).

Eh...I kinda like the H scenes in HF? For being there, I mean, the actual writing in them is atrocious but I like the idea of them a lot more than in Fate or UBW. In those scenarios there's always some ridiculous "we gotta do this because REASONS" justification going on. The replacement scenes in RN make more sense with the characters too, it makes no sense that Rin didn't present "just have sex with Saber" as a solution but it totally fits with her character that she didn't bring up the much riskier plan in RN-Fate until there was no other option. Also it's hilarious that in the Fate route Shirou's like "Have sex? I dunno Tohsaka, that sounds hard" but in RN-Fate he's like "Risk my life for potentially no gain? Heck yeah I'll do that!".

While magic bullshit justifications are also present in HF to some extent, that scenario also takes the time to focus on how Shirou and Sakura are physically attracted to each other. Their relationship was always ready to go, as opposed to Saber and Rin which builds over time, and it felt like that was just an excuse for them to justify something that they both want but are hesitant about doing for their own reasons (both of them thinking they don't deserve to be happy). Replacing that with blood sucking is just less interesting.

Regarding the one sex scene in HF that really doesn't have much to do with the story either plot-wise or thematically,
Sakura sending Rider after Shirou to give him a sex dream but being crushed when he dreams about Rin instead of her is like the most perfect case of bullying ever
so I don't mind it.

Marche90

Well, ain't this nice for VN lovers with a 3DS?

FuRyu is bringing a few indie VNs to the 3DS, incluiding:

-Higanbana no Saku Yoru ni
-The House in Fata Morgana
-World End Economica.

For the first one, I wonder if it can be self-published, for the second one I don't have my hopes up, seeing how MG doesn't deal with consoles, and for for the last one... AKU-AUDI!!!!!!!!
Unless of course the JP version has the ability to switch to English, in which case I'm set because I have a Japanese 3DS

Shizuka

-World End Economica.

For the first one, I wonder if it can be self-published, for the second one I don't have my hopes up, seeing how MG doesn't deal with consoles, and for for the last one... AKU-AUDI!!!!!!!!
Unless of course the JP version has the ability to switch to English, in which case I'm set because I have a Japanese 3DS

Weeeeeeeeeird.

Does anyone mind letting me know about how far I am in Muvluv Extra? The in-game date is 12/20,
we're at the hotsprings and everyone got drunk last night and now we're playing air hockey for some reason.

I'm enjoying it for what it is, but man it feels like it's dragging on now. And while I can see a few hints of things that will probably lead into the next entries, there's no overarching plot to keep me interested.

jonjonaug

Does anyone mind letting me know about how far I am in Muvluv Extra? The in-game date is 12/20,
we're at the hotsprings and everyone got drunk last night and now we're playing air hockey for some reason.

I'm enjoying it for what it is, but man it feels like it's dragging on now. And while I can see a few hints of things that will probably lead into the next entries, there's no overarching plot to keep me interested.
You're close to the end.

BTA

-World End Economica.

That's weird, huh. I started Fata Morgana this week and was thinking it'd be neat to see on other platforms. Doubt we'll get that here though...

This is reminding me that I really should finish/restart Higanbana at some point. I played most of the first release and never got around to the rest despite picking it up.

Taruranto

I still have to read Higanbana too, but according to R07 I'm a goat.

I remember reading some chapters of the manga and it being vaguelly interesting.

Verelios

I still have to read Higanbana too, but according to R07 I'm a goat.

I remember reading some chapters of the manga and it being vaguelly interesting.
Haha, yeah. Tonally, Higanbana gets a bit off after the first episode, or should I say campy. It doesn't detract much from the story, and coming off Umineko I completely understand why Ryu07 went in the direction he did, as it's much more similar to Higurashi in comedy and he explains why in the afterthoughts.

Great VN that I was just a bit disappointed with regarding continuity/flow.

hamchan

Wise move for the Sharin no Kuni Kickstarter to cancel and restart it later. Things just weren't going right for it at all, no point continuing to the end of the month.

Here's the info on the cancelization/restart:

As evidence of this, we would like to announce our plans for the restart of this project on Kickstarter, tentatively titled “Re: Sharin no Kuni - A Visual Novel Localization Project.”

The official schedule of this restart project has yet to be determined, but we are currently making preparations for launch by the end of August. The goal to localize the game remains unchanged, but we plan to make several improvements to the project, including:

Reconsidering the initial and stretch goal amounts
Redesigning reward tiers and pledge amounts
Considering developing editions of the game for consoles/platforms in high demand, such as PS Vita and Android
Considering development of additional reward items requested in our rewards survey
Revising promotional methods and messages

In addition to the above, we will be accepting suggestions through comments and direct messages, so if you have a good idea to make the project a success, please let us know! We will consider any and all feedback.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Nice! My Fault Milestone One artbook came in today! A nice surprise :) Too bad the comic at the end isn't translated, though.

eefara

Finished playing the OELVN Lucid9. Not a bad little game; it's a murder mystery thriller, completely free, and currently unfinished. The team producing it, Fallen Snow Studios, is apparently making the game during their free time. Inciting Incident is what's currently released on Steam, and it's advertised as the common route of the game, more-or-less.

Don't let that fool you, though- Inciting Incident pretty much wraps up the premise of the game- pursuing a serial murderer, while still leaving loose ends as a nice/terrible cliffhanger for the reader.

It took me about 9 hours to get through the game my first time; while I enjoyed it overall, I did feel that the writing could have been a bit tighter. The characters' personalities came off a little too stronger for my liking, I wasn't a huge fan of the character art, and the game drags for the first 3 hours or so. But despite that, when it gets going, it gets going, and has some very nice, tense situations to get lost in.

Overall, a game I'd recommend looking into; decent writing and the low low price of free made it an entertaining diversion from my usual.

Taruranto

Finished playing the OELVN Lucid9. Not a bad little game; it's a murder mystery thriller, completely free, and currently unfinished. The team producing it, Fallen Snow Studios, is apparently making the game during their free time. Inciting Incident is what's currently released on Steam, and it's advertised as the common route of the game, more-or-less.

Don't let that fool you, though- Inciting Incident pretty much wraps up the premise of the game- pursuing a serial murderer, while still leaving loose ends as a nice/terrible cliffhanger for the reader.

It took me about 9 hours to get through the game my first time; while I enjoyed it overall, I did feel that the writing could have been a bit tighter. The characters' personalities came off a little too stronger for my liking, I wasn't a huge fan of the character art, and the game drags for the first 3 hours or so. But despite that, when it gets going, it gets going, and has some very nice, tense situations to get lost in.

Overall, a game I'd recommend looking into; decent writing and the low low price of free made it an entertaining diversion from my usual.

I find western devs who insist on writing VN with Japanese characters pretty funny. These ones are voiced in english too!

takoyaki

Finished Root Letter yesterday, thought it was good but not great.

It’s a beautiful looking game, mostly well written and the soundtrack fits the atmosphere. The gameplay is split into scavenger-hunt-like sections where you try to find people and AA-like sections once you found them. You try to get them to tell the truth by pressing their statements and presenting evidence you collected. This is sometimes interrupted by a feature called “Max-Mode” that’s supposed to give you the feeling of urgency, but I didn’t think it worked very well since there’s no punishment for picking wrong answers until you get the right one by chance.

The city, sights and people are well realized. You feel like you’re on a vacation in the real city of Matsue, investigating what happened to your old penpal Aya from 15 years ago. It’s definitely a slow burn and while the game always gives you the choice of where to go next, all places except for the one where the story will advance are almost always empty. The game flirts with that great sense of knowing where people might be at what time of the day (like Shenmue/Deadly Premonition), but it doesn’t really use it effectively.

My first playthough took me roughly 18h (31% of trophies), you can unlock one of three endings on your first playthrough and 2 more endings, one of them being the best ending, unlock after you’ve beaten Root Letter once. It’s a very hand-holdy game and the ending is only influenced by the choices you make at the beginning of each chapter. The game gives you the option to skip full chapters starting with the second playthrough, so unlocking the other endings will take you 2-4h each if you use this function.

Don’t want to go into details because of spoilers, but feel free to ask if you want to know more about the game.

blacksark

Finished Root Letter yesterday, thought it was good but not great.

It’s a beautiful looking game, mostly well written and the soundtrack fits the atmosphere. The gameplay is split into scavenger-hunt-like sections where you try to find people and AA-like sections once you found them. You try to get them to tell the truth by pressing their statements and presenting evidence you collected. This is sometimes interrupted by a feature called “Max-Mode” that’s supposed to give you the feeling of urgency, but I didn’t think it worked very well since there’s no punishment for picking wrong answers until you get the right one by chance.

The city, sights and people are well realized. You feel like you’re on a vacation in the real city of Matsue, investigating what happened to your old penpal Aya from 15 years ago. It’s definitely a slow burn and while the game always gives you the choice of where to go next, all places except for the one where the story will advance are almost always empty. The game flirts with that great sense of knowing where people might be at what time of the day (like Shenmue/Deadly Premonition), but it doesn’t really use it effectively.

My first playthough took me roughly 18h (31% of trophies), you can unlock one of three endings on your first playthrough and 2 more endings, one of them being the best ending, unlock after you’ve beaten Root Letter once. It’s a very hand-holdy game and the ending is only influenced by the choices you make at the beginning of each chapter. The game gives you the option to skip full chapters starting with the second playthrough, so unlocking the other endings will take you 2-4h each if you use this function.

Don’t want to go into details because of spoilers, but feel free to ask if you want to know more about the game.
Mmm I'm interested in that game, but Amazon jp reviews were pretty bad right? The important thing is characters and stiry are interesting?

takoyaki

Mmm I'm interested in that game, but Amazon jp reviews were pretty bad right? The important thing is characters and stiry are interesting?

Amazon reviews are often really low because of some small nit-pick that Japanese fans had with a character/gameplay-change/etc.

But with Root Letter, it could be that a lot of them went in expecting a thrilling mystery novel. It's a lot more "slice of life" than I thought it would be.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
And so is ChuSingura46+1 S chapters 2&3. I wonder if they'll actually end up completing this despite their awful Kickstarter. Maybe I'll check out the free chapter and see if the translation is any good.

I love how they have somehow been managing to be able to put them up, despite not getting all their bunches of monies.

JulianImp

-World End Economica.

Sweet! I was thinking about getting Higanbana, and this makes things way easier than having to buy the discs in Japan.

Taruranto

Thinking of starting either Fata Morgana or Higanbana, how long are they?

I think Higanbana is kinda short? (Higurashi Rei length?)

Jazz573

Thinking of starting either Fata Morgana or Higanbana, how long are they?

I think Higanbana is kinda short? (Higurashi Rei length?)

VNDB says Fata Morgana is medium length (10-30 hrs). That is still a huge range tho.

And Higanbana (the first part) is short (2-10 hrs). And that's the same for the second part as well.

Taruranto

Fata Morgana's around 25-30 hours.

Way too long, I guess I'll go with Higanbana... although I forgot I still have Higurashi Hou to read.

Kinda worried about that, I'm not a fan of those sequels written years after, hopefully it doesn't end up tainting my memories of Higurashi. :S

Top Bottom