• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

JulianImp

Way too long, I guess I'll go with Higanbana... although I forgot I still have Higurashi Hou to read.

Kinda worried about that, I'm not a fan of those sequels written years after, hopefully it doesn't end up tainting my memories of Higurashi. :S
Nah, Ryukishi's good. Also, there was Umineko in between those, and they aren't actual sequels at all, but more like their own thing that often goes against the expectations built from his previous work.

Like, Higurashi starts like an average rural harem-ish SoL but turns into a macabre supernatural mystery later on, Umineko is darker and more serious in tone, with a focus on more complicated mysteries and unreliable narrators to try and make you question things and not stick with a single interpretation of what actually happened, and Higanbana is a bunch of one-shot short stories with a handful of recurring characters, this time focused on actual supernatural horror for the most part (playing off of your expectations after Umineko) coupled with a more relaxed and lighthearted tone for some stories that's closer to Higurashi's.

Weird, the Vita version was $50 on ricedigital's site, but only $40 on Amazon? I was leaning PS4 before but $20 off makes playing it on the PSTV instead really tempting. I wonder how much of a visual downgrade it would be.
Blame UK inflation, I guess.

There shouldn't be any difference other than resolution, and even that shouldn't have too much effect on a game consisting solely of 2D art. The first Steins;Gate looked just fine on PSTV.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
So Dovac has another twitter meltdown and Sekai Project has lost two employees in the past few days, including their PR guy. Things don't seem to be going well.

Uh oh :/

EDIT: I read it, and yeah some people should just not use Twitter, especially when they need to vent. Twitter can be a great tool to use, but can have a host of issues when too much it made publicly.

Kinda confused with the whole thing. So they didn't have a patch for the game and someone went and pirated one or something? Out of spite? Looked like he blocked someone on Twitter that was harassing him or something. But yeah, stuff that shouldn't be made...public when using a professional account.

Aku-Audi

They fired Aku-Audi?
I'm still there and those are completely unrelated to a late night twitter ramble. People move on and get opportunities all the time in video games, it's nothing negative nor bad.

Sorry to debunk the conspiracy theories, we are actually in our best year yet and just growing.

I'm still there and those are completely unrelated to a late night twitter ramble. People move on and get opportunities all the time in video games, it's nothing negative nor bad.

Sorry to debunk the conspiracy theories, we are actually in our best year yet and just growing.

Leak new games plox.

XMSHO

Sorry to tell you that Audi, but "conspiracy theories" don't get debunked that easily.
Hope everything is going well, but you can't blame anyone for sensing something is amiss at SP right now.

Aku-Audi

Sorry to tell you that Audi, but "conspiracy theories" don't get debunked that easily.
Hope everything is going well, but you can't blame anyone for sensing something is amiss at SP right now.

Things are normal and like every other day at the office so I can't answer to how it looks from the outside. But an individual ranting a bit on Twitter for 100th time doesn't really affect us, though I do agree that it should stop as it isn't doing anyone any favors to engage with people who are clearly out to just troll anyway.

Right now we have dovac strapped to a bed with a mouth guard like Hannibal Lecter. We only go near him to feed or to get budgets approved.

Conspiracy theories? Sigh. It's a shame even you have to take a tone like this.

Taruranto

af0d9LU.jpg

Lmao, this was kinda silly, even for R07...
I suppose "brain-parasites infecting all of humanity" are canon in Higurashi universe? Can't say I'm a fan of that.

Higurashi is at its best when it is a character focused-tale, so it was kinda bad.
K1 and Rena slaughter alone the 2000 inhabitants of Hinamizawa... the Onikakushi-hen refence with K1 calling his batt "Satoshi" was pretty funny, thou.

The club surviving the ordeal because they didn't doubt each others was a nice reference to the original, I guess.

As far the setting goes, I guess
the only logical explanation is that that takes place after Kai (The OP/ED also seems to imply that, by showing Shion and Tanako in her black outfit) and it's just one of the fragments Bernkastel created to play with.

The ED/OP was super good as expected of Dai.

Onward with Kamikanshi-hen now, that is the part that interested me the most anyway.

Taruranto

Ok, done with Kamikanshi-hen.

This was... was R07 on drugs when he wrote this?

It starts as a normal zombie apocalypse, as a continuation to Outbreak. Suddenly we are back to a more Kai-like narration with the Club being afraid of large groups and armed people (Keiichi and Rena literally slaughtered all 2000 habitats of Hinamizawa in Outbreak)

So they meet they meet this new girl and things proceed like a normal zombie apocalypse... SUDDENLY ALIENS. HANYUU IS AN ALIEN. THE NEW GIRL IS ALIEN. HANYUU PEOPLE ARE THE PARASITES WHO ARE ALSO ALIENS.

Suddenly TAKANO WITH SUPERSTRENGTH PROCEEDED TO BEAT THE SHIT OF SOME PEOPLE UNTIL HANYUU USES SOME MOVE CALLED HANYUU FLASH TO GIVE HER BUNNY EARS AND RENA SLAMS HER INTO A WALL.

Also the other new girl is an evil Alien trying to infect all human race with all her parasites and she success until Rika goes back in time (Somehow, this is not explained. No, they do not jump fragment I think based on Hanyuu reaction), the group captures her stopping the whole VN from happening and the new Gods are forced to play a club game that end ups with THEM IN A BIKINI AND A BONDAGE GEAR.

Then this rolls up

MNUK2i9.jpg

xmtGrHB.png

BTA

So Dovac has another twitter meltdown and Sekai Project has lost two employees in the past few days, including their PR guy. Things don't seem to be going well.

I looked into this and... I'm confused how this was a meltdown, exactly? Am I missing something? It's not exactly the most professional behavior, but "this isn't a discussion; take down your free download of the thing we're charging for or I'll get legal on you" isn't all that appalling or scandalous.

And like... I'm not someone who cares about adult content at all to begin with so maybe I just can't get the mindset, hmm. But when I searched on Twitter, I just saw a lot of people acting like the dude's personally responsible for "butchering" games by not always including 18+ content and that's beyond ridiculous.

I looked into this and... I'm confused how this was a meltdown, exactly? Am I missing something? It's not exactly the most professional behavior, but "this isn't a discussion; take down your free download of the thing we're charging for or I'll get legal on you" isn't all that appalling or scandalous.

And like... I'm not someone who cares about adult content at all to begin with so maybe I just can't get the mindset, hmm. But when I searched on Twitter, I just saw a lot of people acting like the dude's personally responsible for "butchering" games by not always including 18+ content and that's beyond ridiculous.

Did you miss the part where he started ranting about how he can't wait to leave the VN market? The patch part is whatever, it's silly to handle that through twitter, but it's afterwards that it turned bad.

And this doesn't really sound like someone who left willingly. His whole feed is depressing actually.

BTA

Spike Chunsoft has a Twitter poll for games people want to see on Steam. Surprisingly, it includes 428, Kamaitachi no Yoru, and Kenka Bancho Otome (and also Shiren, but that's not a VN).

428's a game I've always wanted to play, so it's really neat to know that it even has a chance of coming out. It feels like the type of thing that would finally been translated in the past year or two if there had been a PC version (or a Vita version, to a lesser extent). Kamaitachi no Yoru has that iOS release, but it'd be nice to see more of the series here. And KBO could be neat as well.

EDIT: Hesitated for a moment, and was beaten...

XMSHO

Voted for 428, but it's weird putting untranslated works vs. translated works... Kamaitachi no Yoru need to be on more platforms, specially with the phantasmal "android port" that we will never get.

takoyaki

Voted for 428, but it's weird putting untranslated works vs. translated works... Kamaitachi no Yoru need to be on more platforms, specially with the phantasmal "android port" that we will never get.

It's possible that they are thinking of re-doing the localization of the Kamaitachi games. If they are thinking about putting the whole series on Steam, they might have no other choice because the settings of 2/3 and Shin Kamaitachi are all very Japanese. And 1/2/3 share some of the same characters.

XMSHO

It's possible that they are thinking of re-doing the localization of the Kamaitachi games. If they are thinking about putting the whole series on Steam, they might have no other choice because the settings of 2/3 and Shin Kamaitachi are all very Japanese. And 1/2/3 share some of the same characters.

dunno if they will care about it to that extent, I always hear about how the first one is an important figure in the history of the medium, the structure of the VN and how it dealt with its endings. So I hope I can read it without digging up some old iOS device.

JulianImp

Ok, done with Kamikanshi-hen.

xmtGrHB.png

Not like this... not like this...ごめんなさいごめんなさいごめんなさい。

Now I won't be able to apply the uncertainty principle due to ignoring something such as this actually existed. Ugh...

At least I can still read Higanbana now.

Tjamato88

So I just started Steins;Gate on Vita and I'm really loving it. What are some other good/great visual novels that I can play after I get done with this one?

The only ones I really know about are Steins;Gate, Danganronpa and the Zero Escape series but I'm not sure if those even count.

Taruranto

So I just started Steins;Gate on Vita and I'm really loving it. What are some other good/great visual novels that I can play after I get done with this one?

The only ones I really know about are Steins;Gate, Danganronpa and the Zero Escape series but I'm not sure if those even count.

What are you looking for?

I'd suggest Ever17 if you liked ZE.

Shizuka

Play the ones you mentioned. Also, it'd help if you said what platforms you have.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
This seems like a good deal: Memories Off discounted up to 95%
Played 6 complete and yubikiri since those were like 1000 yen a pop the last time 5pb did a big sale. Are any of the previous games still worth playing? Enjoyed some of the routes in 6 but yubikiri was pretty zzz.

soc

Played 6 complete and yubikiri since those were like 1000 yen a pop the last time 5pb did a big sale. Are any of the previous games still worth playing? Enjoyed some of the routes in 6 but yubikiri was pretty zzz.

I honestly have no idea. If they're all terrible, I guess all I'll have wasted is about five bucks and several hours staring at a tiny glowing screen in the dark

takoyaki

This seems like a good deal: Memories Off discounted up to 95%

Thanks for the heads-up, that is a great deal. Probably not my cup of tea, but I always was curious about the series since Uchikoshi (ZE/Infinity) worked on the first two games as a scenario writer.

fertygo

Am I bad person really want Banchou Otome localized instead 428?

its sounds awesome, even under assumed all otome hijink concept, its made it even more interesting.

grim-tales

Thanks for the heads-up, that is a great deal. Probably not my cup of tea, but I always was curious about the series since Uchikoshi (ZE/Infinity) worked on the first two games as a scenario writer.

Is the game only in Japanese? I'm kinda interested too.

takoyaki

Is the game only in Japanese? I'm kinda interested too.

The $1 sale is just for the Japanese versions of the first 5 games.

I don't think a Memories Off game was ever officially localized and I didn't find a fan translation patch, but it's possible someone is working on it or that I just didn't find it.

About Steins Gate 0, my local European amazon tells me the game is out on August the 26Th. It that the real release date ?

Also I read about the premise of the story, and I can't say I'm too eager to play it as it is (MAJOR SPOILER FOR STEINS GATE)
the sequel in the timeline where Okabe fails to save Kurisu
People who played it : is there some kind of a golden ending or is it darker and more nihilistic than the first one ? Answer with spoiler tags if necessary. Thanks !

Top Bottom