• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

^^ famitsu and dengekionline articles have more expand details...The points I get from MT them are:
The port will integrate both of the original game and the fandisc (Another Episodes), It will have original content which is the part that will be voiced (?), new music and illustration that accompany the new content.
As usual with MT, we will need someone to confirm the details. But as a matter of fact, Fata Morgana already have a partial VA with some well known names on top of that. I'm taking about the drama CD which cover the first three chapters of the game, unfortunately the rest of chapters had been put on hold due to week sales. Which is why I find it hard that the whole game will get a complete VA.

There isn't a source for "underwhelming sales numbers on Steam" though.

woah, thanks!

XMSHO

Q: How accurate is SteamSpy?

A: Hi
Creator of SteamSpy here.
It has its limitations, namely free weekends. Anything below 30K is wildly unreliable. And you need at least 3 full days worth of data, so new games are also a bit off.
&

Who are you responding to here, I know how Steamspy works. Is Steamspy's number for Fata Morgana a very accurate number? No, but we know it's a low number and MangaGamer employees have indicated that it hasn't sold great either. And that's a a company built on selling the niche of the niche on narrow margins, not a console publisher that expects to sell more than a few thousand copies of a game.

XMSHO

Who are you responding to here? Is Steamspy's number for Fata Morgana a very accurate number? No, we know it's a low number and MangaGamer employees have indicated that it hasn't sold great either. And that's a a company built on selling the niche of the niche on narrow margins, not a console publisher that would be looking at selling a Vita game in like 2018.
It really should be "Is Steamspy's number for Fata Morgana a very unaccurate number? yes."
All I remember is GH showing her discontent on /jp and twitter when people start bringing these "sales number" and have a baseless discussion about what sold well and what not.
I'm not arguing about the feasibility of the port coming to the west on Vita, that is clearly unlikely. I hope you could just track back the employees comments about how it did.

It really should be "Is Steamspy's number for Fata Morgana a very unaccurate number? yes."

Nah, that depends on how you're using it. If you are saying it means it sold X number, then yes. But for a broader range it is more useful. And that broader range is probably all we really need to see if a Vita port makes financial sense for a publisher.

I'm not arguing about the feasibility of the port coming to the west on Vita, that is clearly unlikely. I hope you could just track back the employees comments about how it did.
Then what are we arguing about? The numbers here are in the context of whether a Vita port localization is likely. Though it is kind of funny to see myself on this side of the argument when I'm usually the one telling people that they aren't using Steamspy right.

XMSHO

Then what are we arguing about? The numbers here are in the context of whether a Vita port localization is likely. Though it is kind of funny to see myself on this side of the argument when I'm usually the one telling people that they aren't using Steamspy right.
How well the steam version did disregarding the Vita port news, your first reply have just the implication, but in the second one you said it didn't do well to MG. If we circle back to "based on Steam Spy numbers" that well be one the wrong times to use steam spy data.

How well the steam version did disregarding the Vita port news, your first reply have just the implication,
Nah, that wasn't my implication, the entire post was in the context of the Vita.
but in the second one you said it didn't do well to MG.
Which is why I edited that a while ago for clarity, but you missed that when you quoted. I'm not making some claim that the game bombed or lost MG money (IIRC Doddler commented at release that he was thankful that their games didn't require much to break even so it almost certainly didn't). Seek elsewhere if you want to complain about someone else's comments to that regard.
If we circle back to "based on Steam Spy numbers" that well be one the wrong times to use steam spy data.
Not everything I say is based off of Steamspy. But Steamspy is enough to get that the game has likely sold in the low thousands. And that was enough before this turned into some other argument.

XMSHO

Which is why I edited that a while ago for clarity, but you missed that when you quoted. I'm not making some claim that the game bombed or lost MG money (IIRC Doddler commented at release that he was thankful that their games didn't require much to break even so it almost certainly didn't). Seek elsewhere if you want to complain about someone else's comments to that regard.
we know it's a low number and MangaGamer employees have indicated that it hasn't sold great either.
Your changes didn't change the fact that you stated it didn't do well to MG, asked you to back this part of post, turned out I'm just seeing things ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Your changes didn't change the fact that you stated it didn't do well to MG, asked you to back this part of post, turned out I'm just seeing things ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't even know what we're arguing about anymore, it's certainly not about what I originally posted. I'm not interested in uselessly going word by word through my posts about a Vita port that you apparently don't care about because you have some bone to pick with something that was never more than tangential to my posts. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

XMSHO

I don't even know what we're arguing about anymore, it's certainly not about what I originally posted. I'm not interested in uselessly going word by word through my posts about a Vita port that you apparently don't care about because you have some bone to pick with something that was never more than tangential to my posts. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
dunno man why you started taking it this way. But I totally agree, it useless arguing about baseless statement stemming just from "We all know /Someone said it".

dunno man why you started taking it this way.
Yeah I wonder why...
But I totally agree, it useless arguing about baseless statement stemming just from "We all know /Someone said it".
Oh wait.
As if I ever said anything resembling that. But no doubt we'll get more reinterpretation from you.

But really, go find someone who actually believes the things you want to argue against.

jonjonaug

I finished all of Nadeshiko's scenario in Psycho-Pass last night. Most of the endings were pretty good, and there was a bunch of them (total of eight). I highly recommend picking it up if you're a fan of the anime.

If you're not a fan of the anime though I recommend watching it first, since there are some twists that have little impact if you havent, and the game spoils some of the big moments of season one.

I finished all of Nadeshiko's scenario in Psycho-Pass last night. Most of the endings were pretty good, and there was a bunch of them (total of eight). I highly recommend picking it up if you're a fan of the anime.

If you're not a fan of the anime though I recommend watching it first, since there are some twists that have little impact if you havent, and the game spoils some of the big moments of season one.

I don't remember a whole lot about the anime other than the characters and basic premise. Is this something I should refresh myself for? Is it worth knowing more specifics from the anime?

Exogenesis (which had its KS campaign in, like, 2013 or thereabouts) got yet another update. Essentially, the death of the director's mother was the apparent reason for the months-long silence. It's at the point where I have lost all interest and emotional investment I might have had whatsoever about the game, so I just feel bad for them. New release window is "before the end of the year", which seems really unlikely especially seeing as it's supposed to get a Vita port which would need port work, certification and whatnot.

But right now, after having rested from such an ordeal that included sleeping on a hospital bench for two weeks next to my dying mother (who exhibited all the signs you may have read about, or seen yourself firsthand), I’m anxious to get back to work. It's also quite exhausting to try and tell the story of what had just transpired, but you deserve to know why we've been silent - again.

I’m hoping that at the end of the day, what we all want is for the game to come out this year. Our team is hard at work to make that happen.

I'd also like to apologize if this update seems incoherent. It doesn't really flow all that well, and I wish I could structure it better. But right now my mind is all over the place, and I need it to focus on getting things done. I wanted to give everyone a clearer picture of where we're at production-wise, and we'll do that as soon as we can.

So for now, this update is going to be part 1. In part 2, we'll go more into detail about production and the challenges that await us as we make a final push to release the game before the year ends. We'd definitely love to show more of what we've been working on.

jonjonaug

I don't remember a whole lot about the anime other than the characters and basic premise. Is this something I should refresh myself for? Is it worth knowing more specifics from the anime?

If you've watched all of season one you're fine. There's nothing that warrants a rewatch of the first season, but there are things in there that will spoil you on a couple major plot developments that happen.

grim-tales

Sounds interesting about Fata Morgana - I've never played it so wondering if I should wait for a possible steam version now :s

I wanted to quote Funya's post but didnt realise quoting a post with spoilers in opens them :(

That's awful news about Exogenesis - feel really bad for the guy :(

AHA-Lambda

question for Steins Gate, posted it in the OT as well but it seems pretty dead =/

ok, I'm at chapter 4 now and I understand this game has many divergent paths from this point forward

Which am I best to pursue first? Just go for a standard play through or go for the True Ending first time round? Does it matter?
Just wondering as I notice many guides seem to leave the true ending to last

During any subsequent replays though, does the game story become substantially different in the pursuit of different endings? Just wondering if I'll need to reread 30+ hours of content again or if I can safely skip most of it outside of the choices and endings.

Shizuka

question for Steins Gate, posted it in the OT as well but it seems pretty dead =/

ok, I'm at chapter 4 now and I understand this game has many divergent paths from this point forward

Which am I best to pursue first? Just go for a standard play through or go for the True Ending first time round? Does it matter?

During any subsequent replays though, does the game story become substantially different in the pursuit of different endings? Just wondering if I'll need to reread 30+ hours of content again or if I can safely skip most of it outside of the choices and endings.

Get your first ending blind, don't search for any FAQs. After you get it, find a spoiler-free FAQ and go for every single ending leading to the true ending.

Yuuichi

Doesn't matter what you do first.

As for replaying content, most games have a skip only unread option, so you can use the built in skip to just work on the unread content. I can't say for sure because it's been a while and I don't have SG installed.

Make that United States and Canada only. I live in Mexico (SUPPOSEDLY located in North America, though pretty much every American company would like you to believe otherwise) and I can't access that link either.

Again, DEEN 2010. This outbreak is quarantined. Avoid the infected at all costs.

Eila

Any impressions on Harmonia? Bought in on a whim, since I loved Planetarian so much. Dunno when I'll get around playing it, but I hope it doesn't disappoint. Just a shame it doesn't have trading cards.

Any impressions on Harmonia? Bought in on a whim, since I loved Planetarian so much. Dunno when I'll get around playing it, but I hope it doesn't disappoint. Just a shame it doesn't have trading cards.

I finished it earlier today and thought it was pretty good but not on the level of Planetarian. It has a lot in common with Planetarian though, it definitely feels like a spiritual successor of sorts.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I finished it earlier today and thought it was pretty good but not on the level of Planetarian. It has a lot in common with Planetarian though, it definitely feels like a spiritual successor of sorts.

I'm guessing that it has a similar length as well?

Mudo

So I've never really gotten into visual novels. After reading up on Steins;Gate I am now very intrigued in general. Here is what I have played:
--part of Ace Attorney 1
-- part of Danganronpa 1
--All of 999

I own the sequel to 999 but not the newest one. what i would love are some recommendations for the best VNs out there. i want to get into them and i love reading.
Anything with interactivity beyond just reading is a plus.
I would much prefer Vita but could do PC also - it is just so more convenient to play these on the go rather than being locked to my PC. I am gay so anything that offers something to that crowd would rock but i'm not sure that even exists. I don't mind other ones though. Maybe I'd be more into the ones with a girl main character and a cast of guys? Not sure but i'm excited to dive into this world and just want to start it all off with some great ones. I'm very open to most any themes also. Thanks for ANY help my googling for Vita ones didn't return much especially in the way of reviews.

jonjonaug

So I've never really gotten into visual novels. After reading up on Steins;Gate I am now very intrigued in general. Here is what I have played:
--part of Ace Attorney 1
-- part of Danganronpa 1
--All of 999

I own the sequel to 999 but not the newest one.

Well, you can finish the Ace Attorney, Danganronpa, and Zero Escape franchises. All of those games are good.

what i would love are some recommendations for the best VNs out there. i want to get into them and i love reading.

Bunch of cool, legally available stuff: Muv Luv Alternative (releasing officially soon), Steins;Gate, Saya no Uta, No Thank You!!!, Umineko, Kindred Spirits on the Roof, Hanachirasu, and Haotful Boyfriend (yes, really).

I am gay so anything that offers something to that crowd would rock but i'm not sure that even exists.
In that case DEFINITELY check out No, Thank You. There's a demo on Mangagamer's website (NSFW).

I don't mind other ones though. Maybe I'd be more into the ones with a girl main character and a cast of guys?

Try Sweet Fuse (PSP game) or Hatoful Boyfriend.

Top Bottom