• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

The console version has a lot of the same issues. The best way to play it in English is the JAST PC release.

Nah, the PS3 version's improved visuals more than make up for any minor issues (like the word wrapping thing that makes like 2 emails hard to read). This steam port seems to have introduced some problems that the PS3 version didn't have otherwise it'd be the best way to play it.

Phototropic

Neo Member
Are there any English guides for Psycho-Pass?

I'm not looking to spoil anything, but I'd like to at least have an idea of how many play-throughs/branches I'm dealing with as I usually get burned out on VNs after a couple paths.

Steins;Gate is one of my favorite games, but I can't imagine playing through it without a little guidance as it took me 40-50 hours as is.

No confirmation, but I'm expecting it to be the same day as the other versions.

thanks, I hadn't seen any info re this.

I'm playing through the PS4 version now without having watched the anime. It's easy to pick up. I like how brisk the pace is, I've already gone through a few cases in maybe 3 hours

Shizuka

I'm not looking to spoil anything, but I'd like to at least have an idea of how many play-throughs/branches I'm dealing with as I usually get burned out on VNs after a couple paths.

Steins;Gate is one of my favorite games, but I can't imagine playing through it without a little guidance as it took me 40-50 hours as is.

Not right now, though I expect someone will write one in a week or so.

thanks, I hadn't seen any info re this.

I'm playing through the PS4 version now without having watched the anime. It's easy to pick up. I like how brisk the pace is, I've already gone through a few cases in maybe 3 hours

The game is considered to be a tad short, up to 20 hours of play time.

Google translations of Japanese guides could give you a picture of how it's structured.

Shizuka

Just finished Psycho Pass. It must be one of a few endings, I guess. I'm not sure if it's the "true" ending or whether it's just the normal one, but I can definitely describe the game as underwhelming.

I was expecting a lot of it, I have to admit, but still, the game was quite underwhelming and felt half-baked.

I wonder if there wasn't a better option from 5pb's catalogue that NISA could've chosen instead, even if the SciADV games are all locked to PQube.

cj_iwakura

Just finished Psycho Pass. It must be one of a few endings, I guess. I'm not sure if it's the "true" ending or whether it's just the normal one, but I can definitely describe the game as underwhelming.

I was expecting a lot of it, I have to admit, but still, the game was quite underwhelming and felt half-baked.

I wonder if there wasn't a better option from 5pb's catalogue that NISA could've chosen instead, even if the SciADV games are all locked to PQube.
Probably counting on the anime's popularity to sell it(which seems accurate).

BTA

Probably counting on the anime's popularity to sell it(which seems accurate).

Yeah, it didn't seem particularly special, and more like they were banking on people liking the anime enough to bite.

I still never watched all of the first season of the anime, so I'm not getting it anytime soon myself.

Marche90

Was definitely not expecting to see this when opening Steam:

CrRjRPV.jpg

Shame about the reported quality of the port, tho.

Psycho Pass is a 2017 title for me I suppose.

Was definitely not expecting to see this when opening Steam:

Shame about the reported quality of the port, tho.

It's mostly minor stuff that they hopefully will fix. Having played with the Steam version a bit I'd still take it over the JAST release due to the visuals. It's hard to go back to the blurry 570p original release.

XMSHO

It's mostly minor stuff that they hopefully will fix. Having played with the Steam version a bit I'd still take it over the JAST release due the visuals. It's hard to go back to the blurry 570p original release.
The broken 720p res. is more than minor for me, the steam port down scale the sprites badly from 1080p. It puzzle me how something like that passed to the final ver.
If you have less than 1080p monitor you should stay away from the steam port, I don't but I prefer to read in window mod. Mages promised that they will fix 'some issues', it's still to be seen what will they fix and when.

The broken 720p res. is more than minor for me, the steam port down scale the sprites badly from 1080p. It puzzle me how something like that passed to the final ver.
If you have less than 1080p monitor you should stay away from the steam port, I don't but I prefer to read in window mod. Mages promised that they will fix 'some issues', it's still to be seen what will they fix and when.

Oh yeah, that a real problem for those with lower than 1080p displays.

StereoVsn

Is Steins;Gate original going to release alongside Zero on PS4 I wonder. Supposedly that's 1080p and not 720p but I am not certain how true is that.

Is Steins;Gate original going to release alongside Zero on PS4 I wonder. Supposedly that's 1080p and not 720p but I am not certain how true is that.
I believe the PS4 port uses the same 720p upscaled to 1080p assets that is in the Steam version. There's no sign the PS4 version is ever getting localized though.

They aren't 720p in the Steam version, are they?

The JAST release was 570p and lower res than both the PS3 and Steam versions, the visual improvement from just the 720p PS3 release was already really evident. But you can see clear upscaling artifacts on the sprites in the Steam version. But maybe the CGs or backgrounds are different? I wish someone with technical knowledge would look at the port as a lot of the details are unclear.

BTA

I believe the PS4 port uses the same 720p upscaled to 1080p assets that is in the Steam version. There's no sign the PS4 version is ever getting localized though.

Yeah, we're not getting Steins;Gate on PS4, at least not bundled with 0. Note that what was bundled with 0 in Japan didn't even have trophies if I'm remembering correctly, so releasing that separately would also require more work to be done.

2017? Why? NISA why?!

Well the PC port doesn't exist in Japan. The surprise is more that NISA is actually publishing it on Steam and not MAGES. Well that and how terrible NISA was at communicating that the PC version is not coming near the same time as the game on other platforms. I wonder if the PC version will run on the same engine as Steins:Gate Steam and have similar issues.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
The JAST release was 570p and lower res than both the PS3 and Steam versions, the visual improvement from just the 720p PS3 release was already really evident. But you can see clear upscaling artifacts on the sprites in the Steam version. But maybe the CGs or backgrounds are different? I wish someone with technical knowledge would look at the port as a lot of the details are unclear.

Yeah the CGs look native I imagine they were created differently and at higher res than the other assets.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Harmonia (new visual novel from Key) has a Steam page up and it's release is dated for September 23.

From renowned visual novel studio Key, which brought you the highly rated visual novel “planetarian~the reverie of a little planet~”, this is “Harmonia”, the latest kinetic novel in the series.

And they didn't even mention Clannad?? I know the Planetarian anime is still fresh and new, but Clannad is a huge hit, too.

jonjonaug

I'm playing the Psycho Pass game now and speaking as a fan of the anime I'm enjoying it quite a bit. All of the characters are nailed down pretty well and the story expands the setting in an interesting, constructive way (so far at least). Especially when compared to season 2 which just fell flat on its face. I just hit a pretty cool twist that
while I saw it coming from a mile away, was still a bit surprising because I didn't honestly think the story would go that far with the main character.

My only real criticism so far is that the script needed a lot more QC work, there's frequent grammar errors, some oddly phrased sentences, and for some reason Kagari's name keeps getting confused with the new Enforcer.

Rereading S;G and trying to look past Okabe's chuuni act and the ecchi banter and just mayuri as a whole, it's quite fun 8 hours in. FULL SPOILERS!
Just got done with the Kerr black holes/Jellymen/SERN infodump you get after Okabe recovers the IBN 5100 at the shrine for the first time. Somewhat amusing to see some of Okabe's chuuni ass lines being foreshadowing (especially the repeated one about creating an invention that would change the history of mankind).

aravuus

So that's the end of core/question arc, next up is the answers arc that's also 4 eps long, right? Sounds like October could be a good time to finally jump into Higurashi.

Novectacle announced a Vita port of The House In Fata Morgana on Twitter.

Translation (by Dionysus42 on Fuwanovel): said:
House in Fata Morgana Collected Edition - Newsflash

Exclusively for the PS VITA, it's been decided that Fata Morgana will be re-released. Original story plus the supplementary material in this Complete Edition. Moreover, could it be a "modern edition" containing voice acting?! Please wait for further news!

No info on an English release as far as I know although I think Novectacle is still interested in bringing Fata Morgana content to the west despite underwhelming sales numbers on Steam.

VA, which I'd rather not have in Fata Morgana personally, might be interesting for a reread. (SPOILERS!)
Although if The Maid and the Master got garbled VO and the others reflected their ethnicities, it could be great on a reread (would spoil the ambiguity of some doors the first time through, though).
I hope the background is not implying that the art is redone without an option to switch back to the original art because I love the art in the original.

XMSHO

^^ famitsu and dengekionline articles have more expand details...The points I get from MT them are:
The port will integrate both of the original game and the fandisc (Another Episodes), It will have original content which is the part that will be voiced (?), new music and illustration that accompany the new content.
As usual with MT, we will need someone to confirm the details. But as a matter of fact, Fata Morgana already have a partial VA with some well known names on top of that. I'm taking about the drama CD which cover the first three chapters of the game, unfortunately the rest of chapters had been put on hold due to week sales. Which is why I find it hard that the whole game will get a complete VA.

There isn't a source for "underwhelming sales numbers on Steam" though.

Top Bottom