• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Mudo

Well, you can finish the Ace Attorney, Danganronpa, and Zero Escape franchises. All of those games are good.

Bunch of cool, legally available stuff: Muv Luv Alternative (releasing officially soon), Steins;Gate, Saya no Uta, No Thank You!!!, Umineko, Kindred Spirits on the Roof, Hanachirasu, and Haotful Boyfriend (yes, really).

In that case DEFINITELY check out No, Thank You. There's a demo on Mangagamer's website (NSFW).

Try Sweet Fuse (PSP game) or Hatoful Boyfriend.

WOW thanks for all the info. are most of your recommends on vita? i want to buy Steins Gate and at least 1 more on there tonight to start off

WOW thanks for all the info. are most of your recommends on vita? i want to buy Steins Gate and at least 1 more on there tonight to start off

Danganronpa 1 and 2 are on Vita now. The Muv Luv games won't be out on Vita until next year. 999 Vita is coming eventually so I'd wait for that to play Zero Escape as you really shouldn't skip right to the sequels.

I've heard good things about Code: Realize and it's going to be free on PS+ in October.

Saphirax

Do you have PS+? Code:Realize is going to be free next week and I highly recommend you give it a go. It's an otome game, but there isn't a strong focus on romance at all. It's character/story focused. The premise is interesting and the characters are great. One of the best VNs available in English.

There's also Hakuoki for PSP (should be available on psn) - C:R isn't short, but Hakuouki is even longer and has even less of a focus on romance (it's an otome game as well). If you're interested in historical VNs, I'd give it a go. It's feudal Japan + some supernatural elements.

However if you can't stand the setting (the focus of the game is basically the end of the Edo period and the samurai) then you'll most likely find it boring. The characters are also great.

Sweet Fuse (psp, also available on psn) is a fun, short-ish, mystery romp. It has some Danganronpa vibes but it's nowhere near as dark. It also has a kickass heroine (just like C:R) and some interesting characters.

Mudo

Awesome thanks everyone - this gives me a good start. I will report back what I think of them as i begin to dig in :)

jonjonaug

So I got shamed into reading Euphoria by friends on twitter and I finished one route (teacher route) and I have no idea what I just read. I went in expecting some kind of Saw/Hostel/Audition like thing with more sex in it, but after that was done I...don't even know what the hell I read. You know how Terry Gilliam films just go completely bonkers toward their endings and everything just turns into a dreamlike festival? That's what the ending of Euphoria was like. I have a million questions and zero answers.

It wasn't even as dark as I expected it to be? The MC was all like "no one can know the secret of my DARK URGES" but then he gets all flustered by his teacher calling him by his first name or burying him in her tits and it's kind of hilarious? Like there are hardcore scenes, but they're punctuated by the occasional super vanilla scene that ends up being gut bustingly funny when compared to the other stuff. The script knows to moderate itself to keep you reading rather than just doing something awful over and over again.

I do expect other routes to be darker, so I'm just gonna bite the bullet and go with what I'm assuming will be the worst one before working on the routes that'll probably have a better chance of explaining things.

So I got shamed into reading Euphoria by friends on twitter and I finished one route (teacher route) and I have no idea what I just read. I went in expecting some kind of Saw/Hostel/Audition like thing with more sex in it, but after that was done I...don't even know what the hell I read. You know how Terry Gilliam films just go completely bonkers toward their endings and everything just turns into a dreamlike festival? That's what the ending of Euphoria was like. I have a million questions and zero answers.

It wasn't even as dark as I expected it to be? The MC was all like "no one can know the secret of my DARK URGES" but then he gets all flustered by his teacher calling him by his first name or burying him in her tits and it's kind of hilarious? Like there are hardcore scenes, but they're punctuated by the occasional super vanilla scene that ends up being gut bustingly funny when compared to the other stuff. The script knows to moderate itself to keep you reading rather than just doing something awful over and over again.

I do expect other routes to be darker, so I'm just gonna bite the bullet and go with what I'm assuming will be the worst one before working on the routes that'll probably have a better chance of explaining things.
the teacher route is probably the most simple basic one there, if you thought that one was bonkers.....oh boy.

jonjonaug

Finished the Rika route. Um...hm. This feels like an unhealthy relationship.

At least that burp was amazing.

EDIT

Finished Rinna's route. I don't know what I expected, but it certainly wasn't THAT. This game is kind of amazing.

The true ending of Euphoria was just stupid I think.

But I actually liked the story. I wish they would remove all the H-scenes, maybe replace them with torture scenes and would release an "All Ages" version of that or a Non-H anime.

data

The true ending of Euphoria was just stupid I think.

But I actually liked the story. I wish they would remove all the H-scenes, maybe replace them with torture scenes and would release an "All Ages" version of that or a Non-H anime.

I just searched for this on google images. WTF. Please.

I just searched for this on google images. WTF. Please.

Yeah. It has Scat, rape etc. The actual premise is actually really cool though, especially because you are playing as an asshole enjoying all that.
I really think if you remove all the H-scenes and replace them with torture scenes it would still be a quite nice game and wouldnt hurt the story that much.

jonjonaug

Well, I got what I guess you could call the "harem" end of Euphoria and uh...yeah.

Also

>play through three routes of Euphoria
"hey maybe people were overselling the scat in this game"
>play the fourth route
"oh"

Given how things have been unlocked in the CG/Event/Staff Comment gallery so far, I think I have a couple bad ends left plus the true end. I'm probably close to the end. It's been an interesting experience, I think.

I don't think there is an harem ending of euphoria

There is plenty of bad ends , 2 good ends , 1 normal end , 3 "fucked in the head" ending ( no pun intended ), 1 true end.

jonjonaug

I don't think there is an harem ending of euphoria

There is plenty of bad ends , 2 good ends , 1 normal end , 3 "fucked in the head" ending ( no pun intended ), 1 true end.
I'm being sarcastic. It's the ending where
he usurps Nemu's rule and all the heroines are dead, restrained, or insane
. It certainly does end with all of them with Keisuke though, hence "harem end".

. It certainly does end with all of them with Keisuke though, hence "harem end".

oh that one..
it's a bad end

But i get your point

I didn't get that ending

T I M E T O R E I N S T A L L

jonjonaug

100% completed Euphoria.

Interesting game, even if thematically and conceptually it's a little too all over the place in its design. I was certainly never bored, but it got kinda silly at the end there.

Also I'm not sure how I feel about shitting on the reader for believing in one ridiculous otaku character type, only to immediately replace that with an even more ridiculous otaku fantasy backstory character.

I think if I have a favorite ending though it's Natsuki's, because
"fuck all this conspiracy sci-fi garbage, I'm gonna go live with my boy toy on a deserted island"
is an absolutely hilarious ending.

100% completed Euphoria.

Interesting game, even if thematically and conceptually it's a little too all over the place in its design. I was certainly never bored, but it got kinda silly at the end there.

Also I'm not sure how I feel about shitting on the reader for believing in one ridiculous otaku character type, only to immediately replace that with an even more ridiculous otaku fantasy backstory character.

I think if I have a favorite ending though it's Natsuki's, because
"fuck all this conspiracy sci-fi garbage, I'm gonna go live with my boy toy on a deserted island"
is an absolutely hilarious ending.

Pretty much . It's the only real ending that feels like an ending. Even the true end doesn't have that closure

Shizuka

Yeah, I guess I should, then. Last one I played was Tokyo Babel, which started out cool but went... well, kinda nowhere. I'm hoping this one delivers.

When you think it has delivered, it'll show you you know nothing. It'll continue to deliver until you can't take any more delivering, you'll break and come back from it stronger and wiser.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
When you think it has delivered, it'll show you you know nothing. It'll continue to deliver until you can't take any more delivering, you'll break and come back from it stronger and wiser.

Ok. That sounds like a thing I want. I want the shit knocked out of me by blocks of text.

Shizuka

"Root Letter will launch for PlayStation 4 and PS Vita in North America on November 1 and in Europe on October 28, publisher PQube announced.

The game will be available in standard, limited, and Pen Pal editions.

PQube also released a new story trailer. The story of Root Letter is told through the letters a girl named Aya wrote to you in high school, along with your own investigation, as you probe for clues and witnesses from her old hometown regarding her disappearance."

XMSHO

JctpJHW.png
I wonder who is Rice Digital~~

Taruranto

I enjoyed Root Double while reading it, but in retrospect it was like: Play it safe: The Visual Novel. I don't remember much about it.

I should start Fata Morgana one of these days.

Danny Dudekisser

I started Fata Morgana

15 Minutes in: Hmm... yeah, I guess this could be alright. The writing's good.

30 Minutes in: Ok, this is good. I'm intrigued.

60 Minutes in: OH JESUS GOD WHAT THE FUCK

Taruranto

I started Fata Morgana

15 Minutes in: Hmm... yeah, I guess this could be alright. The writing's good.

30 Minutes in: Ok, this is good. I'm intrigued.

60 Minutes in: OH JESUS GOD WHAT THE FUCK

Ah, I actually just finished the first episode too.

The first impression was: What's with the happy children. This is weird. Like Forest. Forest is shit.

"This is going to end in incest"

Roses... a witch... an eccentric grandfather...

"Ok, maybe it won't end in incest"

AHAH, SURPRISE INCEST!
It was pretty good. Good pacing too. I'm hooked.

Danny Dudekisser

Ah, I actually just finished the first episode too.

The first impression was: What's with the happy children. This is weird. Like Forest. Forest is shit.

"This is going to end in incest"

Roses... a witch... an eccentric grandfather...

"Ok, maybe it won't end in incest"

AHAH, SURPRISE INCEST!
It was pretty good. Good pacing too. I'm hooked.

Yeah, this is the perfect game for Halloween season.

Top Bottom