• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I think instead of using the installer I manually patched my copy of Chaos;Head with the unpacking tools for the NP+ engine. Also noted there was a better installer available at some point but it disappeared with the Jast take down of everything.

Yuuichi

I think chaos;head only took me one or two tries to get working, but that's because I'm the software whisper.

Looking around at what I've played and from what I can remember, the only other thing that comes to mind wasn't so much a difficulty as it was a horrible prank, anyone who played HoshiMemo likely know's what I'm talking about, especially if you didn't pay attention to what you were installing.

Typically anyone smart enough to actually manage to either hack or correctly use the very rudimentary (from a cs point of view) tools necessary to work with a game is competent enough to put together some sort of installer.

FluxWaveZ

A lot of people would buy it, but it being a PS3 game pretty much prevents it form happening. It would be happening right now if it were on the Vita.

Shizuka

236952_front.jpg

In my dreams.

cj_iwakura

A lot of people would buy it, but it being a PS3 game pretty much prevents it form happening. It would be happening right now if it were on the Vita.

Patently untrue. The PS3 flood gates are wide open. Tokyo Twilight, the X Blaze games, Steins;Gate, SCEA is like whatever.

FluxWaveZ

The updated Hakuoki comes to mind, it was like a year+ after the PSP release.

That works, but it's probably not economically feasible to do with just any game, and when a VN has a Vita version, that makes its localization prospects far more likely than where Yandere Hell is at.

The bulk of the localization was done, they just had to translate a few exclusive scenes.

Oh, well then it seems that doesn't even count after all.

cj_iwakura

I hope I don't have a hard time patching Chaos;Head. The preview of the anime on Robotics;Notes does make the adaptation look really bad, so it's VN or nothing for me.

Also, even though I like the show, I still plan on playing Robotics;Notes PS3 after finishing it. I like the game's aesthetics a LOT more.

Shizuka

The Steins;Gate manga is getting released in my country, the first (of three) editions came out last week. I bought it, but I don't want to read it before I get the game. The wait is getting harder and harder here.

You're overstating things here, but yes, being multi-platform reduces risks. It's not like the Vita has very many exclusive VNs localized after all.

Though I don't understand the obsession with Yandere Paradise.

Of course it matters. Name one recently localized visual novel that was a PS3 exclusive.
Tears to Tiara 2. Ar Nosurge is kind of similar enough to qualify for these purposes too.

Question for VN-GAF:

What do you think are the most difficult English patches to get working properly, of all the currently available translated VNs?

The most trouble I ever had was on Chaos;Head. When I finally got it working, I made sure not to mess with anything on my PC until I completed it.

I still haven't got YU-NO working properly. But I haven't tried that hard yet.

The reason I'm wondering is because I want to prioritize playing the most finicky ones ASAP before I get rid of some of my older Windows XP-running hardware.

Muv Luv was a bitch for me to install in general. And its even worse if you're on Windows 8 since a certain event in the game crashes if you're on 8.

Also had some problems with Little Busters, but that was more about choosing the right font to use since a lot of it was just fucked.

FluxWaveZ

Tears to Tiara 2. Ar Nosurge is kind of similar enough to qualify for these purposes too.

Those are mainly RPGs, aren't they? I really would not count those here. I think the clear definition of "visual novel" is very important when we're discussing potential platforms and their Western market feasibility; this goes in line with NISA's discovery that it's a genre people want in the West.

You're overstating things here, but yes, being multi-platform reduces risks. It's not like the Vita has very many exclusive VNs localized after all.

Though I don't understand the obsession with Yandere Paradise.

I dunno. A PS3 exclusive VN being localized in 2015? That's not something I see happening. And Yandere Hell is a game I would play day 1 simply because of its premise and, seeing how many other people have said the same, I'm 100% sure it would be happening if the game was on the Vita.

jzbluz

I'm not interested in Yandere Hell myself, but if a PS3 exclusive not selling enough is an issue then couldn't PS Now help with that? That way NISA could sell it to people with PS3 and rent it to people who don't have that particular console.

In any case, I would prefer SH and SRD to YH.

aravuus

Aww yeah, got a Playstation TV, now it's time to FINALLY play Danganronpa 2

I'm too hungover to do this right now though lol

gaiages

Banned
Muv Luv was a bitch for me to install in general. And its even worse if you're on Windows 8 since a certain event in the game crashes if you're on 8.

I'm glad I'm not the only one for Muv-Luv, I had a lot of problems as well (I was on Windows 7 though). I got Extra to work, but for whatever reason when I got to Unlimited it'd either crash or the patch wasn't applied and I only got the Japanese text... I looked into what a few people did, but either they didn't work or I didn't have the programming know-how (note: I have zero programming know-how) to fix it. Even tried the old uninstall/reinstall standby, which... didn't work,. lol. A shame, I really wanted to continue the series, since I suffered through Extra :(

Marche90

Aww yeah, got a Playstation TV, now it's time to FINALLY play Danganronpa 2

I'm too hungover to do this right now though lol

Did you bought the PSTV while drunk? xD

I'm glad I'm not the only one for Muv-Luv, I had a lot of problems as well (I was on Windows 7 though). I got Extra to work, but for whatever reason when I got to Unlimited it'd either crash or the patch wasn't applied and I only got the Japanese text... I looked into what a few people did, but either they didn't work or I didn't have the programming know-how (note: I have zero programming know-how) to fix it. Even tried the old uninstall/reinstall standby, which... didn't work,. lol. A shame, I really wanted to continue the series, since I suffered through Extra :(

I wouldn't throw your effort out of the window yet. Some things you can do:
-Read the digest version of Unlimited that was posted on Amaterasu
-Read the manga of Unlimited, which is fully translated
-Worse case scenario: try installing on a different PC/Virtual PC

Ra1den

I was fortunate to have no issues with any Muv Luv games. You definitely need to be compensated for getting through Extra... don't give up. I wish I could help but I'm pretty bad at stuff like this.

gaiages

Banned

I wouldn't throw your effort out of the window yet. Some things you can do:
-Read the digest version of Unlimited that was posted on Amaterasu
-Read the manga of Unlimited, which is fully translated
-Worse case scenario: try installing on a different PC/Virtual PC

Oh! Those are actually some pretty good options. Originally, I tried to watch a 'Let's Play' of sorts on YouTube, but even though it was a VN watching it was... boring. Probably because the uploader was advancing the text really slowly (understandable, but still).

And that was a while back... I *think* I have a different laptop now (it's fuzzy, lol), so I could just try installing it on the new laptop this weekend, too. If that doesn't work, I'll take a gander at the other options. Thanks! :3

Recently played through Verethragna, god this game is long.

As far as my experience with card battle eroge are concerned, Soukoku no Arterial certainly is the better game (which doesn't say a whole lot, because Arterial is not very good), but this one has plenty of H drawn by M&M, so Verethragna wins.

I can't even fault the game for having a dumb story, card games being serious business is never anything else but dumb, everyone learned that lesson through Yu-Gi-Oh anyway. So when the game begins with "at this school, playing Verethragna is a major part of the curriculum", and ends with card battles against gods, I really can't be bothered to roll my eyes.

Gameplay is also rather bland, mostly because the card variety is abysmal, there just aren't enough unique cards to collect, which is a rather fatal flaw for a TCG. The game ends with a sequel hook, if they plan to turn this into a series I hope they quadruple the number of cards in the next game. The art for the cards is pretty at least.

aravuus

Hahaha, no, thankfully. Would be a pretty hilarious thing to wake up to though, finding a PSTV and DR2 on the table lol

Anyway, question to the people who have finished DR2: should I play it with a guide? I want to experience as much as possible on my first playthrough, so I was wondering if there were missables or something.

Hahaha, no, thankfully. Would be a pretty hilarious thing to wake up to though, finding a PSTV and DR2 on the table lol

Anyway, question to the people who have finished DR2: should I play it with a guide? I want to experience as much as possible on my first playthrough, so I was wondering if there were missables or something.

The only missables are a couple of little bonus scenes that you need to own the right item at the right time to see. They are easy to miss so you might want to look that up, but those scenes aren't important or anything.

But I wouldn't play the trials or investigations with a guide.

Shizuka

No, don't use a guide. No need for a guide. Play it on easy if you must, but don't use a guide.

Yuuichi

No, don't use a guide. No need for a guide. Play it on easy if you must, but don't use a guide.

You might need a guide for one section in particular, involving some
gravel
. Anyone who's played should know what I'm talking about, it's the single hardest thing (I beat it on hard) in the game.

On an unrelated note, while I think the news about more VN's is good overall, I feel like it ultimately doesn't matter very much in terms of really high quality games, most of which are pc exclusive. People seemed so happy about it, and I don't see much coming from it. I know it makes me the cynic in the room, but I wanted to voice my opinion anyways.

aravuus

Thanks y'all

Just got to the first trial, and I've been playing the game for over 7 hours already. Granted, there's some idling, but I have a feeling this one's gonna take me a while.

Also, rebuttal showdown or whatever that blade dueling thing was called is stupid.

e: I LOVE the little tutorial texts though. "Bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang..."

You shouldn't need a guide, but if you get absolutely stumped, this is a good guide that's as spoiler free as possible.

But yeah, it's best to try and get through the game without a guide.

On an unrelated note, while I think the news about more VN's is good overall, I feel like it ultimately doesn't matter very much in terms of really high quality games, most of which are pc exclusive. People seemed so happy about it, and I don't see much coming from it. I know it makes me the cynic in the room, but I wanted to voice my opinion anyways.

Well we have been getting more on the PC too, but yeah, some more console/handhelds titles from NISA aren't likely to be a huge deal.

aravuus

Hahaha holy shit, buff Monokuma

That's terrifying

Do I get something special for reaching max level (which I assume is 100 or 99)? Gonna do everything to make the class trial sessions easier, definitely not a fan of those parts.

grim-tales

I'm still on the second chapter (I think) of DR1.
It can be a little strange at first as it doesnt seem fully voiced, the characters only say a short sentence, exclaimation or "Huh?" when you speak to them and the text box says something totally different.

aravuus

It did take a while to get used to, yeah, but now I quite like it. Some of the characters in DR2 have such hilariously idiotic catchphrases I can't really NOT smile at them. Like "POINTING!"

Zweizer

Banned
Well, I just finished Muv-Luv Alternative. That was a pretty wild and emotional ride. Gonna write a more detailed impressions post later, but overall I loved it, even if I didn't find the endgame up to par to the middle.

gaiages

Banned
You might need a guide for one section in particular, involving some
gravel
. Anyone who's played should know what I'm talking about, it's the single hardest thing (I beat it on hard) in the game.

Ugh, I remember that. I had to resort to (paraphrasing to avoid spoilers) more or less using everything with every phrase, and once I got the one that finally worked (after like three game overs worth of health lost... on Normal), I was like "What, seriously!?"

Other than that, though, no need for a guide. Well, that's probably irrelevant at this point, but I wanted to rant :p

Top Bottom