• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Jazz573

I've been playing Steins;Gate for a few days. Currently near the end of Chapter 5, Shared Route.
Man, Okabe's got himself into some deep shit. As for the other characters, Kurisu is pretty scary, Suzuha is probably the most normal (besides Kurisu), aside from her unhealthy obssession with the IBN 5100, Daru is pretty weird (I'm pretty nerdy too, but not to the extent of Daru), Moeka is pretty suspicious, Faris is cute but she's a bit of a weirdo. As for Mayuri and Lukako, I think they're both absolutely adorable. Speaking of Lukako, I kind of feel sorry for him being constantly teased by Mayuri and Okabe.

http://moe-gameaward.com/prize/2014/gp.html

Moe game award winners, ヤフー

I can't make the threads anymore since mods starting locking them (lol) but people here are maybe interested.

Not surprised about Aokana winning. Didn't like most of the heroines but the game is still pretty good.

And I should really read that game about building rockets. Lots of people seem to like it even though the premise sounds kind of...specific. In terms of interest / hobbies.

Yuuichi

装甲悪鬼村正;162621439 said:
Not surprised about Aokana winning. Didn't like most of the heroines but the game is still pretty good.

And I should really read that game about building rockets. Lots of people seem to like it even though the premise sounds kind of...specific. In terms of interest / hobbies.

That rocket game seemed to get a lot of praise, along with nanairo. I don't really like the art or premise for either, but maybe I'll play them one day. I do like rockets though, I've built quite a few (and blown up more than my fair share). Aoikana is gonna happen this summer, I've actually been knocking down games left and right with 3 games in the last 4 months, which is as many games as I cleared last year.

Did you ever find out why last year's was locked? You should PM one and make a thread if you get the go ahead.

Have you SEEN what happens to any thread on normal side with any sort of questionable 2D content? It's a bad idea to even think about it.

When I shouldn't be sleeping and get some midterms out of the way maybe I'll do some short reviews of the stuff I've beaten.

Durante

Actually that doesn't happen if you set it up not to happen. "Harem" ending is a pretty normal afterward with just paling around. Which ending did you get specifically?
I actually got the
Onee-chan ending. Kinky!

I'll try and think of a few things while I wake up to recommend though! (I think I recommended it since I'm the only one I see recommend it.)
Thanks for that!

Answer to question 1: Money. Sex sells. Can't do anything about it. You get over it after you've played enough.

As for recommendations, that's a tough one. I want to say Rewrite, but it pretends to be a fairly normal setting for quite a while. Maybe Umineko or Dangan Ronpa (if you somehow haven't played it) might better strike your fancy.
I've played both Umineko and Dangan Ronpa. Umineko and Higurashi are probably my favourite VNs. I'll look into Rewrite.

On the off chance you can read Japanese, it's a much easier question.
Sadly not.

upandaway

I actually got the
Onee-chan ending. Kinky!

Thanks for that!

I've played both Umineko and Dangan Ronpa. Umineko and Higurashi are probably my favourite VNs. I'll look into Rewrite.

Sadly not.
How about Higurashi and Muv Luv Alternative for unique settings. Though for MLA you'll need to survive Muv Luv Extra before then.

Have you SEEN what happens to any thread on normal side with any sort of questionable 2D content? It's a bad idea to even think about it.

When I shouldn't be sleeping and get some midterms out of the way maybe I'll do some short reviews of the stuff I've beaten.

Eh, I'd say as long as he uses few pics and keeps things labeled NSFW, then there wouldn't be much issue. I'm not a mod though, and the current atmosphere may not be the most accommodating for that.

I'd still a PM a mod though.

Knurek

Have you read Song of Saya? Great Lovecraftian setting, sex scenes that work with the story/plot, lovely music/artwork...
I thought Planescape: Torment was your favourite VN?

That rocket game seemed to get a lot of praise, along with nanairo. I don't really like the art or premise for either,
Not liking the art of Nanairo? Madness, that game is beautiful.

I thought Planescape: Torment was your favourite VN?

It's hilarious how the closest thing to PS:T is a hardcore nukige called Mugen Renkan.
I'm not even joking, Mugen Renkan tells a better story than everyone's favorite Uchikochi tweest mysteries へ[ ᴼ ▃ ᴼ ]_/¯.
20130120192713txj63.jpg

aravuus

The digital twist helped me get over the deaths pretty fast too, knowing that they managed to bring back those who died in the end. And Chiaki better be one of those brought back, I don't care how. Put her on an iPad or something.

Pretty much my thoughts too.
But I mean, even with all the despair events etc, the game's world is futuristic enough to have convincing virtual realities and AIs. I see absolutely no reason why they COULDN'T revive an AI other than to fuck with the players.

I guess we'll see in the inevitable Danganronpa 3.

Well, the interpretation with the original dialogue is a bit different.
It essentially says that someone took Junko's womb and implanted it in their body rather than literally having sex with her corpse. It's speculated to be Mikan as she implied having her "lover" already inside her.

May or may not be more disturbing than the "translation error" depending on how you look at it.

Yeah, that's.. I really can't say which ones is more disturbing lmao

If you think that's bad, wait until we get Ultra Despair Girls. I haven't played it, but like DR2, I'm already spoiled to hell and back with that one. There are some... interesting... parts of the story that might or might not be worst than what you put in your spoiler bars.

Oh lol, can't wait. Just now noticed it is actually getting a US release too (thank god the PSTV is region-free, UNLIKE SOME MACHINES I OWN)

e: aw fuck, no Tales of Hearts R today

e2: oh hey, island mode seems fun. I thought it'd just be continuous free time to get to know your friends, but looks like it has a bit of a minigame flavor to it too. It's nice to see everyone alive again... ;_;
I will never, ever use that emoticon again, I just had to in this case

e3: also, here's an important side note: my DS3 lost ONE BATTERY BAR out of three during the whole fucking 40-hour playthrough. What the hell did Sony do with the DS4, it runs out of batteries in like three hours of play?!

Yuuichi

装甲悪鬼村正;162627394 said:
Not liking the art of Nanairo? Madness, that game is beautiful.

I'm not calling the art bad (because if I was doing so I agree I would be objectively wrong) but it seems stylistically inconsistent now that I look at some screens again, which is what really bothers me.

OniBaka

Going to start reading FSN realta nua from start, I had read up to heavens feel on the original VN but lost interest half way through due to burning out and left it for 5 months.

Can't wait to get back in with the new features.

Didn't like Sakura which was another reason

装甲悪鬼村正;162621439 said:

What? They were all pretty likable characters, what didn't you like about them?

What? They were all pretty likable characters, what didn't you like about them?

Mashiro needed like half of her route to come off her Misaki trip and stop being annoying, Misaki herself is a miserable pile of envy and pettiness, being unlikable is one of her character traits. I don't even remember anything about Rika, that girl was like air. Asuka is okay, it's hard to hate her, but similar to Rika she just isn't very interesting.

I think the supporting cast is way better than the main heroines. I would have taken a route for pretty much every other character instead of what we got with the main four.

JulianImp

I've been reading Higanbana on and off. The fact that it's episode-driven makes it a lot easier to play in short bursts, whereas I often didn't know when to stop while going through Umineko. Having just finished part five of the first disc, I really like how the story preys upon the expectations I've carried over from Umineko, and the even more blurred line between reality and fantasy. While applying the tools Umineko showed me can be good for dispelling the youkai's magic, there're some things I can't quite explain with logic.

At times, I feel like Umineko's teachings are actually clashing enough with Higanbana that it's like I'm one of the mindless goats trying whatever to unravel the narrative (ie: I might be looking to hard into things here).

Also randomly decided to start "reading" Higurashi Kizuna on my DS starting with the first, but I still end up missing out on too many kanji, even if I'm doing way better nowadays than I used to when I first got the games. I guess I'll keep going back to it every now and then until I'm finally able to read most of it, at the very least.

Still feeling down about not getting Kizuna 4 while I was in Japan, but paying almost 5K yen for the game only felt a bit too expensive for me (maybe if it included the collector's edition...). I guess I'll end up givingin and buying it the next time I go to Japan, since owning 3/4 games isn't where it's at.

CrovaxPSO

Got my copies of Flowers Natsu-hen with the soundtrack and White Robe Love Addiction/HakuAi. HakuAi comes with an organ donor card, thought that was a neat thing to include even if it's maybe a little weird. Gave the Flowers soundtrack a quick listen and it's as good as expected, maybe better than the spring volume. I'll probably start Flowers first just to continue the story even though I'm curious to see how HakuAi turned out.

Jazz573

I have a few questions:

Is the English patch for Utawarerumono compatible with the digital version?

As for my other question, I am coming close to finishing Steins;Gate, and I was hoping someone could tell me without going into any spoilers the order of the Science ADV games. I'm not sure if I'm correct, but I think the order is C;H > S;G > C;C > R;N. Also, does it matter that I played S;G before C;H?

I have a few questions:

Is the English patch for Utawarerumono compatible with the digital version?

As for my other question, I am coming close to finishing Steins;Gate, and I was hoping someone could tell me without going into any spoilers the order of the Science ADV games. I'm not sure if I'm correct, but I think the order is C;H > S;G > C;C > R;N. Also, does it matter that I played S;G before C;H?

That's the correct chronological order, yes. And it doesn't really matter if you play S;G before C;H, other than missing a few minor references here and there. C;C and R;N apparently have some stronger connections to the previous titles, though.

Anko

Got my copies of Flowers Natsu-hen with the soundtrack and White Robe Love Addiction/HakuAi. HakuAi comes with an organ donor card, thought that was a neat thing to include even if it's maybe a little weird. Gave the Flowers soundtrack a quick listen and it's as good as expected, maybe better than the spring volume. I'll probably start Flowers first just to continue the story even though I'm curious to see how HakuAi turned out.

Flowers Natsu-hen OST is amazing. My favourite track is probably チューリップ (tulip), which is also the title screen song, but they're all great. A very relaxing and lovely OST. I learned from my mistake of not ordering the OST with the game for Haru-hen and bought this straight away this time. MANYO does amazing work as always.

I've finished both Flowers Natsu-hen (I would advise finishing the game before listening to the drama CD) and HakuAi. This was probably the best month in my entire life. What did we do to be blessed with two yuri VNs in a month. Even one a year would be quite rare. The two are very different in feel so it's interesting to play them one after the other.

I'll leave this here for a certain ending that will probably leave the biggest impression for HakuAi:
お肉美味しい

CrovaxPSO

Flowers Natsu-hen OST is amazing. My favourite track is probably チューリップ (tulip), which is also the title screen song, but they're all great. A very relaxing and lovely OST. I learned from my mistake of not ordering the OST with the game for Haru-hen and bought this straight away this time. MANYO does amazing work as always.

I've finished both Flowers Natsu-hen (I would advise finishing the game before listening to the drama CD) and HakuAi. This was probably the best month in my entire life. What did we do to be blessed with two yuri VNs in a month. Even one a year would be quite rare. The two are very different in feel so it's interesting to play them one after the other.

I'll leave this here for a certain ending that will probably leave the biggest impression for HakuAi:
お肉美味しい

I've read that there might be some creepy stuff in HakuAi so I think I have an idea of what that might mean, haha.

I didn't listen to the drama tracks yet but when I was ripping the CDs I saw Chidori's version of chaleur and had to listen to it. It's so good, I like it more than the regular version.

Accordingly, I started Natsu-hen and got up to where Erika first meets Chidori. Interesting first encounter, to be sure.

JulianImp

I know this isn't IndieGAF, but I need yout help VN GAF!

The thing is I'm currently working on a visual novel myself, and I wanted to know GAF's thoughts on how much agency players want out of the ones they play, since it seems VN players aren't as put off by lack of agency as more mainstream gamers. Then, there's also something that's specific to my project in particular:

My high concept for the game is a short mystery story with several parallel narratives that each show a specific character's point of view but, rather than having each POV be a separate chapter, I wanted to experiment with allowing the player to hop from one POV to the next at pre-set moments during the narrative.

As a result from watching the events through a different POV, the player would receive different bits of information, which can potentially result in different interpretations of the crime. While the players will have access to the information as they come across it, the deductions would only happen at the end of each game with all the information the player has gathered in that particular run. My goal with all this is that, while there will be a single truth, it won't be as important as the way the players experience the events during each particular run, which will result in a multitude of different truths, all of equal worth.

All this means that I might need to do some heavy railroading, therefore limiting player agency, and that it'd also be very important that players don't just play the game once, reach whatever truth they get and never touch it again. That means I'd be relying on a probably niche group of players who would be willing to play my mystery VN multiple times, so I don't know if I might be betting on a particularily niche group of visual novel players...

I'm not particulaly knowledgeable about VNs, which is why I turn to you guys for advice, since I feel like this is the particular genre that'd be the best fit for the kind of thing I wanted to do. Anyway, thanks in advance to anybody who shares their thoughts!

Plenty of visual novels don't have any choice. If the structure of your story demands limiting player agency that is a perfectly fine way to design it. People familiar with VNs should also be accustomed to multiple read throughs of the game. Many VNs are structured in a way that requires you to play through multiple routes to get the full (or different) picture.

Anko

I've read that there might be some creepy stuff in HakuAi so I think I have an idea of what that might mean, haha.

I didn't listen to the drama tracks yet but when I was ripping the CDs I saw Chidori's version of chaleur and had to listen to it. It's so good, I like it more than the regular version.

Accordingly, I started Natsu-hen and got up to where Erika first meets Chidori. Interesting first encounter, to be sure.
Just... Par the course for the Hakuisei series. Haha. I imagine it will catch first timers off guard.

And yeah, I like Chidori's version more too, even though I am a Shimotsukin fan. Her version is gentler. That it reminds me of Chidori is a huge plus.

Yuuichi

So I just finished Steins;Gate, and I wanted to play the 8-bit game. Is there anywhere I can legally obtain a copy?

There's a guide to buying games legally by me that's a little bit outdated (new one coming soon(TM); the changes are minimal) in the OP, if you need help beyond that I would be glad to assist you.

blah blah blah

I've wanted to talk about this for a while. This is might get long and lack coherence in that I should probably be asleep right now.
THE FOLLOWING TEXT CONTAINS UNMARKED THEMATIC AND PLOT SPOILERS FOR A GAME THAT WILL PROBABLY NEVER GET TRANSLATED (Soranica Ele) AND PROBABLY A FEW OTHER RANDOM GAMES.

Coincidentally, I happened to have recently finished a game that basically sat down and asked questions like: "What is player agency?", "Is agency an illusion?", and "Is it the authors story, or the readers story?" which has had me really thinking about storytelling as of late. With much of my recent thoughts in mind, I have some questions about how you're going to handle things.

I want to start by asking: what is a "different truth?" I ask this because one of the key elements of Soranica is that, while the main story of each route is the same, depending on what route your in the way things play out is as different as could be, with some characters only choosing to take certain actions in very particular situations. All of these routes have a sort of "equal value" as you claim, but I guess what I'm not understanding is are the actual events changing as you discover what appears to be happening, or is the only thing changing supposed to be the interpretation of the event based on the perspective and knowledge of the player. Since there is a "single truth" as well, I have to wonder what relation that has to the different truths. Are they mere parts, or is there a single correct truth while the others are wrong?

In terms of this style of storytelling, I can't help but say you should perhaps go play a game called Ever 17. E17, Soranica, and multiple other games I won't mention for spoiler reasons are prime examples of the specialty of VN's as a medium: non-linear storytelling. VN's allow for repetition as a storytelling element in a way that no other medium does in that they are usually designed to be a repayable, choice driven narrative where the outcome can change. Some of the smartest stories, in my opinion, manage to take advantage of that fact and seamlessly integrate it into the narrative to provide small meaningful mysteries and story arcs that come together under one large umbrella to form a complex whole in a way that no other medium can. In that way, if you create a story that isn't just a retelling of the same exact thing with one ending, but rather a complex mystery which is impossible to fully understand from just one angle, I don't think having players stick around will be an issue, given that solving the mystery is the whole draw of a mystery game. This can be done wrong and certainly doesn't belong in some media, the infamous "Endless 8" from Haruhi is a fine example of what you shouldn't do: create something where the nuances are borderline meaningless to the point of wasting the reader's time.

Honestly, the best way to understand what the hell I'm rambling about is to go experience it. For someone who claims to have not a ton of experience with the medium, I have no hesitation in restating the above and telling you to go play Ever 17 and pay attention to how the mystery is written. Do us all a favor though, and take notes on how the game also struggles with pacing.

JulianImp

Wow, thanks for giving me all that advice! I'll definitely see if I can check that VN out.

I've been thinking overnight about what would work, and the whole problem about the fact that players who hop across POVs getting a mess of information that makes no sense, possibly turning most player's final deduction into a stupid "dunno, whatever" moment rather than the cathartic one that it should be.

So far, I've come up with the idea of, rather than giving too much information that'd change the whodunnit or howdunnit, focusing on each POV covering different aspects of the whydunnit, making that a focus of the game: While who committed the murder and how it was carried out are undeniable facts, the "truth" for answering why it happened isn't as clear-cut as the other two, and that's where being able to hop across POVs would factor in, allowing players to explore and realize different things that might've factored in as motives to the crime, with no obvious answer. This approach would allow me to keep the central theme of the narrative (the focus on partial truths rather than a single, absolute one), trimming the added complications that would come from making several alternative whodunnits and howdunnits.

I'll still go ahead and take a look at other works though, because I might be artificially constraining myself with my current vision for the project.

Thanks again, and I definitely appreciate the time you took to write your reply.

EDIT: Thanks go to Basileus777 as well. Coming from more interactive games, I was still unaware of how well-received non-interactive VNs are, since most of my acquaintances aren't accustomed to them, so they downright refuse the though of playing through a kinetic novel or doing more than one run through it.

Anko

How many copies do most VNs have to sell to break even? I know the budget varies from game to game but Hakuisei Aijou Izonshou didn't even break Famitsu's top 30 which has 30th at 3,004 copies. It's a lot worse than I expected... The yuri fan in me is ordering me to buy a third copy just to support them.

Yuuichi

How many copies do most VNs have to sell to break even? I know the budget varies from game to game but Hakuisei Aijou Izonshou didn't even break Famitsu's top 30 which has 30th at 3,004 copies. It's a lot worse than I expected... The yuri fan in me is ordering me to buy a third copy just to support them.

Depends on a lot of things, including budget and staff (if you know how big the whole staff list is I can estimate a cost) as well as secondary merchandising. Merch also helps to make a lot of money back at a pretty good margin.

Some math.
At 5000 copies (towards the top of mid range PC sales from what I can gather), a 8800円 game likely makes about 2400万円 in revenue to developer (depends on distributor), and from what I understand about the games is that a "normal" game usually costs between 2000万円-3000万円 because companies know how the market works. There are more detailed cost breakdowns around the net, but I don't really feel like going in to them.

Obviously some companies like Navel or Light can just crank out titles that sell 1万+ (often on much larger budgets of 5000万+) copies on name alone, which is obviously a big deal because of the extra merchandising audience that gives you. Things like an anime adaptation can also be a big boost for titles for similar reasons.

If you want to discuss things in more detail I would be glad to, I love this sort of thing.

Anko

Depends on a lot of things, including budget and staff (if you know how big the whole staff list is I can estimate a cost) as well as secondary merchandising. Merch also helps to make a lot of money back at a pretty good margin.

Some math.
At 5000 copies (towards the top of mid range PC sales from what I can gather), a 8800円 game likely makes about 2400万円 in revenue to developer (depends on distributor), and from what I understand about the games is that a "normal" game usually costs between 2000万円-3000万円 because companies know how the market works. There are more detailed cost breakdowns around the net, but I don't really feel like going in to them.

Obviously some companies like Navel or Light can just crank out titles that sell 1万+ (often on much larger budgets of 5000万+) copies on name alone, which is obviously a big deal because of the extra merchandising audience that gives you. Things like an anime adaptation can also be a big boost for titles for similar reasons.

If you want to discuss things in more detail I would be glad to, I love this sort of thing.
Sorry for taking so long to respond and thank you for offering your insight.

The VN is an all-age PSV VN actually, and the MSRP is 6,264円. I would imagine that the cut that developers get will be smaller than that of PC developers due to platform royalty. It's a really niche title, being all-age yuri and all.

There's probably not a lot of merchandise either. Just a few items here and there that is sold at events or via their own online store. There's basically only two listings for merchandise on the store although I believe there are other goods sold at events that were not listed. It's still not a very big list.

As for the number of staff involved, looking at the credits, there seems to be around 40 names involved in the production. From minor things like line stamp artist to marketing and stuff. There are also 5 main seiyuu, and 10 credited for nameless mobs. Is 40 a lot? It feels like it might actually be more than Innocent Grey's Flowers series... I might have double counted some names since some were responsible for multiple roles but I counted as best I could. Apologies if my method seems crude.

Yuuichi

From what I can gather it probably cost towards 200万 (probably slightly less?) to make.

If I were to take a guess, this isn't the only version of this game you'll be seeing.

Shizuka

I don't want to do it, I was just checking if anyone was going to because I want to talk about the game somewhere when it's out.

Anko

From what I can gather it probably cost towards 200万 (probably slightly less?) to make.

If I were to take a guess, this isn't the only version of this game you'll be seeing.
Thanks for the estimate. That doesn't sound too bad (it actually sounds pretty cheap, unless a 0 is missing). And the director has said that it would be the only version. Said it wouldn't be fair to those who bought a vita for it. He stated it explicitly because the prequel had a 2nd version that added routes + pc version some years after. Sequel has all possible routes already but I do hope they release a PC version down the line.

Thanks again.

Woops, a zero is missing. That should be 2000万.

(*´∀`)

Well shit. Lol. Should have known. 200万 is way too cheap. Orz

Yuuichi

Thanks for the estimate. That doesn't sound too bad (it actually sounds pretty cheap, unless a 0 is missing). And the director has said that it would be the only version. Said it wouldn't be fair to those who bought a vita for it. He stated it explicitly because the prequel had a 2nd version that added routes + pc version some years after. Sequel has all possible routes already but I do hope they release a PC version down the line.

Thanks again.

Woops, a zero is missing. That should be 2000万.

(*´∀`)

Is anyone making an OT for Higurashi no Naku Koro ni release this week?

Holy crap, I missed when they announced that it's releasing this week! I never got around to playing the first English release, but I absolutely loved the anime. If I weren't so dang swamped this week, I'd consider taking a shot at the OT.

Shizuka

Do you guys think it's okay if I make the OT with all the information from the MangaGamer listing? Does anyone have a good idea for an OT subtitle? Would I be able to use the OT for all releases after the first chapter, instead of making one for each chapter?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Make sure to make a little custom content for the thread in the OT since copy paste ones are looked down upon. I'll make one if no one wants to make a proper one though.

I'd probably use "Please do not deplore yourself." for the subtitle, but something silly from the game would be good too but nothing is popping up in my head atm.

JulianImp

Do you guys think it's okay if I make the OT with all the information from the MangaGamer listing? Does anyone have a good idea for an OT subtitle? Would I be able to use the OT for all releases after the first chapter, instead of making one for each chapter?

Let's see...
"Bringing it home"
"The first shard/fragment" (anything but "kakera")
"Looking forward to June 20th"
"Get yourself demoned away"
"Prepare for watanagashi"
"Welcome to Hinamizawa"

Shizuka

"Welcome to Hinamizawa" is cool, although I was trying to make something work with "onikakushi" or demoned/spirited away, like you mentioned.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
You can take a look at my Umineko thread for a template if you're going to do it yourself. I assumed someone would have claimed the Higurashi one by now so I didn't bother really.

cj_iwakura

"Welcome to Hinamizawa" is cool, although I was trying to make something work with "onikakushi" or demoned/spirited away, like you mentioned.

I'm cool with Welcome to Hinamizawa. A before/after art comparison would probably be nice, though I still like Ryukishi's expressions the most.

JulianImp

I would've volunteered for the OT if only I didn't have exams coming up.

And all this reminds me I should read some more Higanbana soon. I like how chapters don't take nearly as long as Higurashi/Uminkeo ones, so I can enjoy them in one sitting rather than having to watch parts of it every now and then and losing track of where I was at at times.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I would've volunteered for the OT if only I didn't have exams coming up.

And all this reminds me I should read some more Higanbana soon. I like how chapters don't take nearly as long as Higurashi/Uminkeo ones, so I can enjoy them in one sitting rather than having to watch parts of it every now and then and losing track of where I was at at times.

I usually just reserved the day of release for Umineko and read through it all then so I could get in on the discussion elsewhere. lol

JulianImp

I usually just reserved the day of release for Umineko and read through it all then so I could get in on the discussion elsewhere. lol

I arrived late to the series, and even managed to spoil myself with (heavy Umineko spoilers)
the whole Shanon/Kanon thing
... then somehow forgot about it for the most part and proceeded to plow through it like a mindless goat.

I ended up taking too long before I even began caring about explaining the game boards rather than just passively reading each episode (it didn't help that I watched the anime first, and got crushed by the awful adaptation that messed up and made many things unsolvable). A while later the series finally clicked with me (mostly thanks to the very simplified ep8 mini-game), and then I lamented being unable to unlearn things and go back to tackling each episode while actively trying to solve things myself.

After Umineko, I've finally come to appreciate mysteries where the detective lets the culprit get away, where before I'd always go full Erika. It also helped me actively analyze things while watching/playing them rather than just going with the flow. Funnily enough, the series changed me and the way I think about mysteries greatly, but it managed to do so too late to save itself from being yet another mystery I simply read and discarded (guess that's how Battler must've felt). Now, I hate myself for having "read" so many mystery novels without thinking things myself, since I've basically spoiled themselves for me without enjoying them at all.

Top Bottom