• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Shizuka

Well, I claimed the OT, but feel free to keep suggesting subtitles for it. If someone can help me make a banner (just the main one) for the OT, I'd appreciate it. I can deal with the rest.

cj_iwakura

I arrived late to the series, and even managed to spoil myself with (heavy Umineko spoilers)
the whole Shanon/Kanon thing
... then somehow forgot about it for the most part and proceeded to plow through it like a mindless goat.

I ended up taking too long before I even began caring about explaining the game boards rather than just passively reading each episode (it didn't help that I watched the anime first, and got crushed by the awful adaptation that messed up and made many things unsolvable). A while later the series finally clicked with me (mostly thanks to the very simplified ep8 mini-game), and then I lamented being unable to unlearn things and go back to tackling each episode while actively trying to solve things myself.

After Umineko, I've finally come to appreciate mysteries where the detective lets the culprit get away, where before I'd always go full Erika. It also helped me actively analyze things while watching/playing them rather than just going with the flow. Funnily enough, the series changed me and the way I think about mysteries greatly, but it managed to do so too late to save itself from being yet another mystery I simply read and discarded (guess that's how Battler must've felt). Now, I hate myself for having "read" so many mystery novels without thinking things myself, since I've basically spoiled themselves for me without enjoying them at all.

Well, your spoiler is just a theory. A very probable one, but still, just a theory.

Honestly MangaGamer's new sprites are way above Alchemist's so I have no problem telling people to just play with the new ones.

Really? Make like Mr. Incredible and show me. :D

Still waiting on Kara no Shojo, although the email Mangagamer sent today was reassuring; they've started re-fulfilling the hardcopy orders within the past month after a restructuring of their current system, and have put in mine today. They're also just as hype as I am about Da Capo III, whenever it releases this year (and I'm certain to purchase it as soon as it's available, alongside Kara no Shojo 2 if the first lives up to everything I've read about it). In the meantime, I've been diving into various other visual novels - namely Fate/Stay Night: Realta Nua, Cho Dengeki Stryker, and finishing up Princess Evangile. I also plan on doing a few runs of School Days HQ to prepare myself for Shiny Days' release in June/July.

Lain

Discovered today that the steam keys for Littlewitch Romanesque are available for people that bought the physical release.

Well, I claimed the OT, but feel free to keep suggesting subtitles for it. If someone can help me make a banner (just the main one) for the OT, I'd appreciate it. I can deal with the rest.

|OT| Pay Tribute to Oyashiro-sama

|OT| Mark Spoilers or Be Demoned Away

|OT| Practice Your Swing

|OT| Gomennasai...gomennasai...gomennasai...

JulianImp

Well, your spoiler is just a theory. A very probable one, but still, just a theory.

AFAIK, nearly everything points to
Kanon and Shanon being the same individual
, which is what I meant. I think Ep7 hit me on the head over and over with that fact as well as explaining the first three game boards for the most part, and then there's Our Confession. While I haven't read through it yet, I've also heard the Ep8 manga explains what actually happened in Rokkenjima, and the author had confirmed as much (or something along those lines).

I guess all that could still be a theory because of the whole schrodinger's cat thing the game has going on, though, which is why I ended up really liking the series in the first place.

Edit: I agree with R_thanatos, even thought I'm partial towards the first two suggestions since I think
it's still too early for the last one

cj_iwakura

AFAIK, nearly everything points to
Kanon and Shanon being the same individual
, which is what I meant. I think Ep7 hit me on the head over and over with that fact as well as explaining the first three game boards for the most part, and then there's Our Confession. While I haven't read through it yet, I've also heard the Ep8 manga explains what actually happened in Rokkenjima, and the author had confirmed as much (or something along those lines).

I guess all that could still be a theory because of the whole schrodinger's cat thing the game has going on, though, which is why I ended up really liking the series in the first place.

Edit: I agree with R_thanatos, even thought I'm partial towards the first two suggestions since I think
it's still too early for the last one
I never picked up on it, and I think it's kind of a silly theory frankly, but that could be because it really screws with Jessica and George's character development.

JulianImp

I never picked up on it, and I think it's kind of a silly theory frankly, but that could be because it really screws with Jessica and George's character development.

I don't think it actually does. On the opposite, it reinforces the concept of
magic as the web of half-truths Sayo wove to cope with all his/her personal issues, as s/he tried to find a way to forget Battler.

Then, there're many things I think point towards that being the case (sorry for the long spoiler-fest):
  • Beato and Battler telling Jessica "[even] if you join us, there's
    people on this island". This also plays well with the
    chess themes, as there are 16 pieces in a default chess board
  • Many of the conversations between Kanon, Shanon
    and/or Beatrice could be read as Sayo talking to her/himself, either while alone or when near the people that knew about Sayo's secret (other servants except for Ghoda)
  • Most of episode seven being dedicated to Beato's origin, which makes it like she
    was Gaap at first, then she was a separate character who took Gaap's old-styled speech patterns, and then she decided to leave her spot as an Ushiromiya maid without anybody noticing it, and finally decided to make Jessica happy by having Kanon show up
  • The Ep6 duel of love between Kanon/Jessica, Shanon/George and Beato/Battler, where only one couple
    would be granted love at the cost of the other two pairs's lives
    . It might make sense for a magical entity such as Beato, but when you think about why Kanon or Shanon might even need to go through all that, it makes little to no sense
  • The spectacular way Erika was defeated after she managed to invoke a logic error in the board master's story. How could
    Kanon escape from the room he wasn't supposed to be in, but where Shanon was, all without violating any of the red truths stating who was in which room and which room was sealed in which way? Easy: Shanon left the room as Kanon and swapped places inside a locked room with Battler, and the only reason Erika couldn't find Kanon in the room was because it wasn't Kanon that was in there, but Shanon instead (again, red truths were used to trick the readers and characters alike)

I'd love to hear other contradicting theories on the matter, since I might be missing something due to learning about Umineko way after the final episode was released and most discussions about it were already over.

Shizuka

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni's OT should go up tomorrow night. There isn't a lot of exclusive information regarding the Steam release, so I've used a lot from MangaGamer's website and Steam listing, but I'm trying to come up with a few nice things like avatars I'm making for GAF.

Shizuka

"I did it! I did it all! I killed everyone, with my own hands!"

"Let me in, Keiichi!"

"It's time for your punishment game..."

"I'm sorry, but I'd rather leave the stage."

"I'll play with you. Come here, Cleaver girl."

"Broccoli or cauliflower, which one is green...?"

"Was the corpse...buried properly?"

So many good OT subtitles I just found. I can't choose one of them. Help me, guys!

jzbluz

"I did it! I did it all! I killed everyone, with my own hands!"

"Let me in, Keiichi!"

"It's time for your punishment game..."

"I'm sorry, but I'd rather leave the stage."

"Broccoli or cauliflower, which one is green...?"

"Was the corpse...buried properly?"

So many good OT subtitles I just found. I can't choose one of them. Help me, guys!

Shizuka

Maybe we shouldn't spoil the violence? I'd want to be a fly on the wall for someone who thinks it's just a sweet romantic mystery.

I think most people already have a faint idea that Higurashi is a horror or mystery game, from the anime reception. I wanted to come up with a subtitle that'd get people interested in the OT and read it, maybe even buying the game.

cj_iwakura

I think most people already have a faint idea that Higurashi is a horror or mystery game, from the anime reception. I wanted to come up with a subtitle that'd get people interested in the OT and read it, maybe even buying the game.

Then I like Cleaver Girl or 'Your Penalty Game Is Death'.

cj_iwakura

Fruit of Grisaia incoming!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/345610/

Looks priceless.
MrcQp8j.jpg

cj_iwakura

It has censoring, but there's a version of the patch that removes the censored stuff and restores it to the original. The base Realta Nua is all ages and removes the sex and a lot of the
rape stuff

I thought it was awkward at best and disgusting at worst in Fate and UBW, but I respect how it's important to Heaven's Feel.

Yuuichi

They stopped selling Realta Nua PC, so you're screwed there. Your only option is to buy the original FSN PC release and use the mirror moon patch.

Generally the cheapest version (assuming you want PC/ENG) is the twin pack they put out recently, has S/N and H/A for like $120, which is a pretty good price considering the current going rate.

Welcome to one of the most expensive hobbies on this side of gaming.

Jazz573

So I've been playing Utawarerumono for the past few days. I'm really enjoying it, both in terms of story and the gameplay. I'm coming close to the end, and
I really didn't see that sci-fi twist coming. It kind of reminds me of the huge genre shift in Yu-No's epilogue.

Yuuichi

So I've been playing Utawarerumono for the past few days. I'm really enjoying it, both in terms of story and the gameplay. I'm coming close to the end, and
I really didn't see that sci-fi twist coming. It kind of reminds me of the huge genre shift in Yu-No's epilogue.

yo ok I think I need to play this now.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So I'm playing through steins;gate on the PC and I'm confused as to how I'm pulling the phone out. Which key is it?

JulianImp

Uchikoshi fans should really check out the Punchline anime that he wrote for. The show really is Uchikoshi as fuck.

I tried watching Ep1 but wasn't really feeling it at all. Its particular kind of humor that relies on fanservice wasn't to my liking, and the plot points about a giant meteorite dooming Earth and the protagonist being able to bend time and space at will after becoming a spirit were too much for me to handle. It seemed like it had too many bland and/or vexing tropes with no interesting payoff, IMO.

First episode was awful for me, does it get better?

It does. It's more than the lewd comedy that it appears to be in the first episode. Though I actually think some of the humor in it is pretty good.

I tried watching Ep1 but wasn't really feeling it at all. Its particular kind of humor that relies on fanservice wasn't to my liking, and the plot points about a giant meteorite dooming Earth and the protagonist being able to bend time and space at will after becoming a spirit were too much for me to handle. It seemed like it had too many bland and/or vexing tropes with no interesting payoff, IMO.
What kind of payoff can you have in the first 20 minutes?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Ugh, I'm at a part where I have to pull up my phone in steins;gate and no matter what I do I can't figure out how to pull it out.

Is my game bugged?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Ugh, I'm at a part where I have to pull up my phone in steins;gate and no matter what I do I can't figure out how to pull it out.

Is my game bugged?

Well in the pause menu it should tell you the key you can also bring it up by dragging your mouse to the right bottom corner.

JulianImp

What kind of payoff can you have in the first 20 minutes?

I meant payoff from the deluge of crude jokes and blatant fanservice. At least based on those first impressions, the show's sense of humor really put me off and the plot itself didn't manage to pull me in, either.

Top Bottom