• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
My mind is literally buzzing from playing Steins;gate.

What do they mean by canned oden and canned ramen? They meant cup not canned, right?

BTW, what's the jumping off point when the branching paths start?

I meant payoff from the deluge of crude jokes and blatant fanservice. At least based on those first impressions, the show's sense of humor really put me off and the plot itself didn't manage to pull me in, either.

I can safely say that behind this wall , is a show that knows what he wants to create ( it's actually scary once you start putting everything together ) Not the best of the intro , but goddamn , there is a definitive potential in it.

I've watched all 6 eps and i'm hyped for the second half.

My mind is literally buzzing from playing Steins;gate.

What do they mean by canned oden and canned ramen? They meant cup not canned, right?

And why can't you put ramen in a can ? ( a big can , yes , but still a can )

JulianImp

Just got Higurashi! I guess I'll start reading it next week once I'm done with exams.

It's really cool that they've ended up having trading cards, but does anyone know if there're emoticons or any other goodies besides the cards themselves? I might end up making an exception for Higurashi and crafting my very first badge using the trading cards rather than just selling them away for profit.

I can safely say that behind this wall , is a show that knows what he wants to create ( it's actually scary once you start putting everything together ) Not the best of the intro , but goddamn , there is a definitive potential in it.

I've watched all 6 eps and i'm hyped for the second half.

Well then, I guess I'll end up giving it a chance sometime.

JulianImp

I realise i didn't have much sleep when i wrote this , but the show isn't scary at all .

My mistake

I actually read that as something making so much sense while also being something you couldn't ever possibly conceive by yourself and how that was scary or something, so no harm done.

Still, the first episode had my cousin and I facepalming nearly constantly at the brainless fanservice and plot developments, which were way more awkward than Kill la Kill's and with none of its coolness.

Antiwhippy

Moreso than nisemonogatari? :p

Man, my head is still buzzing from what I've played of steinsgate. Actually do love how in-depth it does trying to weave physics into its own pseudo science.

JulianImp

Moreso than nisemonogatari? :p

Man, my head is still buzzing from what I've played of steinsgate. Actually do love how in-depth it does trying to weave physics into its own pseudo science.

I'll admit that Nise was cringe-worthy many times, but I was already really invested into the series after Bakemonogatari so it wasn't as bad. If I had to liken Punchline to it, it'd probably be like getting the toothbrush episode as the first one of Bakemonogatari (and in that case I believe I would've dropped it as well, because wtf toothbrush scene).

Bascially, my thoughts after reading the sinopsis were "maybe the stupid fanservice mentioned is subverted or lampshaded to hell and back", but after watching the first episode and realizing that they were actually playing fanservice straight I kind of got creeped out by it.

I'm listening to this interview with a JAST USA employee, and it's interesting to hear him talk about how one of the major reasons we don't get more Otome or Yaoi games localized is because the voice acting for those is incredibly expensive to license. The voice acting studios that own the rights to those voices apparently aren't very willing to negotiate and demand huge sums that are higher than what the game as a whole will earn. They had to walk away from localizing the Starry Sky Otome series for this reason.

Antiwhippy

Man, Suzuha's
letter to the lab mems after she goes back to 1975

*Air-sucking noises*

This fucking game.

I'm listening to this interview with a JAST USA employee, and it's interesting to hear him talk about how one of the major reasons we don't get more Otome or Yaoi games localized is because the voice acting for those is incredibly expensive to license. The voice acting studios that own the rights to those voices apparently aren't very willing to negotiate and demand huge sums that are higher than what the game as a whole will earn. They had to walk away from localizing the Starry Sky Otome series for this reason.
Male voice actors are way more expensive in general, so this isn't really surprising.

cj_iwakura

装甲悪鬼村正;164169532 said:
Male voice actors are way more expensive in general, so this isn't really surprising.

FYI, I'm pretty sure your avatar is far from being work appropriate.

FYI, I'm pretty sure your avatar is far from being work appropriate.

?
okay, back to the old (and lewder) one.

edit:

I've finished HOTEL. a couple of days ago, what a bizarre game that is. It's extremely boring and this fact manages to be the whole point of the story somehow. It's great conceptually how there is a story twist that makes the reader think: "yeah, I guess this mundane story about the daily working life of these people in a hotel...kind of works?" The game has a weirdly creepy atmosphere but whatever expectations one has for the story they are definitely going to be betrayed. I'd never recommend this game to anyone because it really is boring as fuck but uhh, also totally fascinating at the same time?

God, what the fuck was that.

alice1lofm.jpg

Antiwhippy

Wait, what what.

So I apparently unwittingly fell into the suzuha storyline, and why didn't
Okabe just send the fucking D-mail at the end instead of travelling to 1975?

What?

I was shaking my head at Okabe throughout the whole thing.

cj_iwakura

Wait, what what.

So I apparently unwittingly fell into the suzuha storyline, and why didn't
Okabe just send the fucking D-mail at the end instead of travelling to 1975?

What?

I was shaking my head at Okabe throughout the whole thing.

Did you open your phone?

Antiwhippy

Oh I know about that now, but there's really nothing stopping him from sending the D-mail
even after experiencing the stable timeloop. He might have gone a bit insane, sure, but the option was still there.

Jawmuncher

header.jpg

https://store.steampowered.com/mobileagecheck/mobileapp/315810/

Has anyone here played Eden*? Either the Uncensored or Censored version is fine. Was just curious as to how far I am.
just got to the reporter being caught at the lake

Also with that did anyone happen to look at both versions? I saw the game CGs for the uncensored and they seem out of place with how the censored is set up. Which is a good thing since it doesn't obviously seem like something is missing when I'm playing. Hell I prefer considering the situations I saw feel like they kind of ruin the main characters.

Regardless of all this I like it so far.

Jazz573

header.jpg

https://store.steampowered.com/mobileagecheck/mobileapp/315810/

Has anyone here played Eden*? Either the Uncensored or Censored version is fine. Was just curious as to how far I am.

Also with that did anyone happen to look at both versions? I saw the game CGs for the uncensored and they seem out of place with how the censored is set up. Which is a good thing since it doesn't obviously seem like something is missing when I'm playing. Hell I prefer considering the situations I saw feel like they kind of ruin the main characters.

The H scenes weren't in the original game, so you're not really missing out on anything by playing the censored version.

The adult content is all in separate side stories that are basically "what if" scenarios. You're not missing anything in the main story.

Jawmuncher

The H scenes weren't in the original game, so you're not really missing out on anything by playing the censored version.

The adult content is all in separate side stories that are basically "what if" scenarios. You're not missing anything in the main story.

Thank goodness. Glad they did it that way rather than cramming it oddly into the story. So no answer as to how far I am? I'm trying to guess maybe half way?

Just finished Kami no Rhapsody. I usually never manage to finish the non- Ikusa Megami stuff from Eushully, so I guess I liked this one a bit more.

Characters and Story were shit. The game does it Kamidori style and makes you choose a heroine, except the protag doesn't give a damn and cheats on her with everything that slightly resembles a female. And I'm supposed to believe that he's a totally sympathetic nice guy. There is also no way I'm ever going to take a story seriously that's all about
killing a being that delivers unending prosperity with no strings attached because people totally need hardships to live a fulfilling life or something pffff.

I liked the gameplay for the most part, hex-based SRPGs are totally neat. And every other SRPG from Japan needs to copy this kind of progression system, because this game is completely grind free. It's pretty much quest-based exp, just finish maps, complete objectives and your party gets levels and skills without having to deal with the typical SRPG annoyances of units that get left behind because they never land the killing blow and all that nonsense. Very pleasant.

Antiwhippy

As the story progresses along I'm actually kinda impressed how they managed to give okabe's batshit insanity some context and humility, such as how he bought
Lukako the samidare to build his confidence up.

Jazz573

So last week I finished Steins;Gate, which I really enjoyed. I bought the 8bit spinoff, I'm just waiting for it come in the mail. Then, this week (Friday, in fact) I finished Utawarerumono, which was pretty fun. After that I played a short game for the PC-98, called Ripple Cafe, which I just finished about 30 minutes ago. I'm not really sure what to play next, so here's my vndb list.

Marche90

As the story progresses along I'm actually kinda impressed how they managed to give okabe's batshit insanity some context and humility, such as how he bought
Lukako the samidare to build his confidence up.

Okabe's an excellent character, and finding out why he acts so insane during the VN is a thing of beauty.

Currently on Chapter 2 of Steins;Gate. I will say one thing, I guess it's because of a slip-up, but...
Suzuha mentions that "this must be the age where women perform hard labor", so I'm going to assume she's a time-traveler. Maybe not necessarily John Titor, but it's a theory at least.

Current fave: Kurisu(tina).

Oh right... question. According the achievements thing, it says I need to reply to Faris' e-mails a certain way, but none of her words are blue. Is there something wrong here? Do I need to go through the game once before I can do something with them?

Oh right... question. According the achievements thing, it says I need to reply to Faris' e-mails a certain way, but none of her words are blue. Is there something wrong here? Do I need to go through the game once before I can do something with them?
If you wait too long after receiving a mail, you lose the chance to reply.

Antiwhippy

Hmmm, alright, might still check it out just because I want more from this series. :p

Also, got all the clears! Man, what a fantastic experience.

How's robotic;notes as a sequel btw?

upandaway

Hmmm, alright, might still check it out just because I want more from this series. :p

Also, got all the clears! Man, what a fantastic experience.
The anime's great too but it's a lot more focused than the game, for example they completely cut the time travel lecture from the beginning of the game (which I loved, so whatever).
I watched the anime with a friend in a marathon, after I finished the game, and it was amazing. There's a bunch of pretty good manga too.

R;N isn't a sequel, there's an actual sequel announced actually.

Jazz573

Actually Chaos;Child is the sequel, and R;N comes after that. And of course Chaos;Head comes before S;G.

Of course, S;G 0 might completely change that.

R;N isn't a sequel, there's an actual sequel announced actually.
Well, it's a sequel in the sense that it takes place 9 years after the true ending of S;G, but it's not trying to be another Steins;Gate, if that makes sense at all. That's the way the Science Adventure series goes, neither VN is really considered a Chaos;Head sequel, either (though Chaos;Child arguably is). They all certainly have some connections, though.

kurahador

Is Higurashi on steam worth playing for someone who already watched the anime series?
And what does it mean by Chapter 1? Is it the same as the anime first season?

JulianImp

Is Higurashi on steam worth playing for someone who already watched the anime series?
And what does it mean by Chapter 1? Is it the same as the anime first season?

Yeah, you should play it if you liked the anime series, since it cut lots of things from the VNs in order to fit the whole story into two seasons.
The main story has eight chapters (the first four were covered by the first season of the anime, and the latter four by the second season), and then there're extra chapters from additional content that brings up the total episode count to fourteen (at least for this release).

Edit: Each chapter covers one "loop", so you're looking at a VN that covers in ten hours what the anime adaptation covered in about half a cour (around 3 hours).

Antiwhippy

I know that robotic;notes isn't a direct sequel, I'm just more wondering about its quality compared to steins;gate.

I actually don't know how to feel about a direct sequel to steins;gate. I feel that the story is perfect as it is now. Some stuff exploring how the Steins;gate
timeline
unfolds could be alright I guess.

Yuuichi

I know that robotic;notes isn't a direct sequel, I'm just more wondering about its quality compared to steins;gate.

I actually don't know how to feel about a direct sequel to steins;gate. I feel that the story is perfect as it is now. Some stuff exploring how the Steins;gate
timeline

I've heard it's decidedly ok. Not bad, not great in the ways that S;G is.

timeline
Fortunately, it looks like that's exactly what S;G 0 is going for, exploring the
Beta worldline where Kurisu dies, which isn't detailed very much in the original VN.

That's how I feel about the anime. Too bad the VN will probably never be in English thanks to the platforms it is on.
You do know that Steins;Gate is releasing on PS3 and Vita in English in less than a month? Never give up hope.

It's a product that only exists because the PC version was translated first.
Think of it this way, Chaos;Head Noah and Robotics;Notes Elite in English are products that can only exist if Steins;Gate sells on consoles in the West, warranting more localization investments.

Chaos;Head Noah seems promising because some of the guys who were involved in the S;G translation have been working ahead on a secret project heavily implied to be the VN in question. They just have to sell it to some company other than JAST.

kurahador

Yeah, you should play it if you liked the anime series, since it cut lots of things from the VNs in order to fit the whole story into two seasons.
The main story has eight chapters (the first four were covered by the first season of the anime, and the latter four by the second season), and then there're extra chapters from additional content that brings up the total episode count to fourteen (at least for this release).

Edit: Each chapter covers one "loop", so you're looking at a VN that covers in ten hours what the anime adaptation covered in about half a cour (around 3 hours).

I see, thanks.

Top Bottom