• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

I read somewhere that the movies in fate/stay night spoil some things so it's best to ppress ctrl and skip them. Was it referring to the movie that plays at the end of the prologue? Or is there another animation I should be weary of?

I read somewhere that the movies in fate/stay night spoil some things so it's best to ppress ctrl and skip them. Was it referring to the movie that plays at the end of the prologue? Or is there another animation I should be weary of?

I don't think there is anything to worry about in the original release . The Vita intro movies might have minor stuff, but I don't remember anything specific that is a spoiler.

I doubt there is anything you really need to skip.

Did anyone get Love at First Sight already? The game was released today on Steam.

Looks creepy as F
ndLWL0A.gif

Yuuichi

Hey guys, I don't know if you noticed, but a while back I asked for advice on my next VN. My vndb list is at this link. Thanks.

C;H or Eien no Aselia (also you have a duplicate relase of this listed, as the English version is the game and expansion. This bothers me because that's just the kind of person I am w)

Jazz573

I thought this would be relevant because it's about a game from a mainly VN developer. I'm taking a short break from VNs right now, and am playing an oldschool JRPG for the PC-98 made by Leaf, called Filsnown. It's a pretty fun game, that plays similar to oldschool FFs. The music is great, with both FM and MIDI options. The graphics are also pretty good for the platform it's on. If you're interested in the kinds of games Leaf used to make, than I definitely recommend it. Unlike most Leaf games it's not a VN, although it is still an eroge. There is also a Windows version but it's pretty rare.

If your talking about the vita openings, I'd say the heavens feel OP spoils some stuff.

I've been playing fate/stay night. I'm not that far but it's been an enjoyable ride so far. The only visual novel I've played prior to this was katawa shojo.
I enjoyed reading things from Rin's perspective much more than Shirou

cj_iwakura

Why isn't anyone playing Love at First Sight? I just need a positive impression of the game to push me off the edge and buy the game.

I think you answered your own question...

I've been playing fate/stay night. I'm not that far but it's been an enjoyable ride so far. The only visual novel I've played prior to this was katawa shojo.
I enjoyed reading things from Rin's perspective much more than Shirou

Long, isn't it?

Schir

Neo Member
Why isn't anyone playing Love at First Sight? I just need a positive impression of the game to push me off the edge and buy the game.

The story's mediocre and cliché at best, the soundtrack's a cacophony, the whole thing's an hour and a half long, and the author writes about scars like this:
viNbFlc.png

It's a bad game. Don't play it.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
How is that grasshopper game supposed to be? I'd get it for laughs. Looks like it gets a little ecchi when I Google image'd it.

The Indiegogo Campaign for the gay dating sim/JRPG Fantastic Boyfriends - Legends of Midearth- has launched. So if you like bara, JRPGs and supporting LGBT content, please give it a look.

GAF Topic

Also to note, GAF's own apricot has helped with the translation of this game so far so you're also supporting Gaffers in the industry. :)

Jawmuncher

Josephl64

Just ordered my copy of that Angel Beats! VN, also the second volume of the new Rance OVA...I guess it's related enough to VNs to just mention in passing.

I still got Evenicle to play. Since I haven't even started it, I'm not so sure when I'll be playing the Angel Beats! one.

JulianImp

They removed all torrents etc and are going to be only a board for discussion and fan translations. So everything is allright with fuwanovel.

I never heard of that site before, but I guess that's because I'm not that much into VNs yet. Does anyone know if actual fan translation groups go there?

I was thinking about going back into fansubbing and fan translating in order to keep polishing my Japanese, so I'd be thrilled if I could hop into some translation project (as long as it isn't for a blatant eroge, I guess).

I liked the old Fuwanovel too.

Should I buy Ace Attorney Trilogy or save up and import Danganronpa 2 and 999? (Love SDR2 and 999 but I do not own legit copies, only played AA5)

Yuuichi

Care to elaborate?
Seconding this. The changes have been massive improvements in my mind, and I'm actually friends with Tay (the new head) now. Aaeru and I did not get along very well, I know I've posted about it before so just search or something.

I never heard of that site before, but I guess that's because I'm not that much into VNs yet. Does anyone know if actual fan translation groups go there?

I was thinking about going back into fansubbing and fan translating in order to keep polishing my Japanese, so I'd be thrilled if I could hop into some translation project (as long as it isn't for a blatant eroge, I guess).

Fuwa is basically THE place for EL vn discussion. I know of multiple translation groups that are based or started there.

Speaking of translations, I have a bit of news I guess. I was going to keep it a secret originally but I've been blabbering away about it on twitter so no real point in that.

I've been working on setting up a project for myself, and unfortunately the tools for said game are long gone and I wasn't able to find a competent hacker so I've been working on it myself, and things are looking up. I have a script and a very good idea of how to put it all back together, I've just been incredibly busy and have another non-school programming commitment to finish first, but I hope to have repacked text working this weekend. Fun stuff.

The other piece of news is a little more interesting, and I'm honestly not sure how much of it I should talk about, so apologies for vagueness. Light's games aren't so invincible after all. I haven't been able to produce a script yet, but I have lots and lots of working assets. The encryption is off the wall crazy though. The dream of translating Soranica Ele is only mostly insane now.

Fate /Stay Night question

When you reach a dead end, and there's a tiger dojo hint thing, does it spoil the story for you? I should just decline it if I don't need any help, right?

About three hours into C;H, pretty solid so far, waiting for the hook to get me.

I thought Chaos;Head was fantastic, but there are a lot of criticisms against the later parts of the story. I understand why it could turn some people off, but I personally really enjoyed it all the way through. Taku, specifically, was a really entertaining protag.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Fate /Stay Night question

When you reach a dead end, and there's a tiger dojo hint thing, does it spoil the story for you? I should just decline it if I don't need any help, right?

No it pretty much just chastises you comedically and tells you why you died for the most part.

Crayten

Banned

There a multiple Fan Translation going on and you can check there status every saturday here.

http://blog.fuwanovel.net/2015/05/vn-translation-status-16052015/

JulianImp

Jazz573

There's also a list that goes up every Saturday on 4chan. It usually has slightly different data, and it's mirrored on [url="http://www.reddit.com/r/visualnovels]the VN subreddit[/url].

I need a new spooky horror VN to play. Any good ones available in English that aren't Higurashi/Umineko, Saya no Uta, or Phenomeno (or Corpse Party if it counts)? Curious about Euphoria and I see Gore Screaming Show is getting translated again, but those are likely still a ways off.

cj_iwakura

I need a new spooky horror VN to play. Any good ones available in English that aren't Higurashi/Umineko, Saya no Uta, or Phenomeno (or Corpse Party if it counts)? Curious about Euphoria and I see Gore Screaming Show is getting translated again, but those are likely still a ways off.

Chaos;Head? I think it's the spookiest of the trilogy.

JulianImp

Is it me or are both LNs that were looking for translators gal-games? I'm not entirely sold on doing that kind of TL work, since it doesn't seem like a genre I'd particularily like.

Also, any tips on browsing Reddit to look for TL work on fan-translated VNs and other stuff? I haven't ever visited the site before, and it doesn't look all that friendly or easy to browse at first glance.

Chaos;Head? I think it's the spookiest of the trilogy.

Watched the anime and don't really feel the need to play it. Also not really what I'm looking for. I want something with the atmosphere and tone of Saya no Uta or Corpse Party, even if few things can compete in those aspects.

I did like Lux Pain, though Ignition really borked the translation on that one.

Shizuka

Watched the anime and don't really feel the need to play it. Also not really what I'm looking for. I want something with the atmosphere and tone of Saya no Uta or Corpse Party, even if few things can compete in those aspects.

I did like Lux Pain, though Ignition really borked the translation on that one.

999? Banshee's Last Cry?

999? Banshee's Last Cry?

Fan of the first and got bored of the second after like 5 hours. Though 999/VLR isn't really what I'm looking for, even if the premise can lend itself to that (Euphoria for example based on the trailer).

The anime is awful and hardly representative of the game's tone.

I know, but it's still not really what I'm looking for. I'll probably play it at some point though, likely when knowledge of the anime has completely left my mind.

I know, but it's still not really what I'm looking for. I'll probably play it at some point though, likely when knowledge of the anime has completely left my mind.
That's really the best option, sorry you put yourself through that abomination of a show. Who knows, maybe the updated version with character routes will be available by the time you're ready.

cj_iwakura

Great interview, but this stood out...

Due to its popularity, offers soon began rolling in from companies to adapt Higurashi into a live action-movie. Ryukishi recounted the importance of retaining creative control of your works when they are adapted because if you don’t, the adoption might not truly embody the spirit of the original work; this advice he received directly from Takashi Takeuchi and Kinko Nasu, the artist and writer for Type-Moon, respectively. To this end, Ryukishi07 said that during the filming of the Higurashi live-action, he was often present just off screen, sitting in a box, making sure that each scene was true the spirit of the visual novel. He would also go on to recount that all of the members of 07th Expansion was present during each and every recording session during the production the Higurashi anime for similar reasons.

If this is true, why did the Umineko anime turn out so badly?

Still, I have mad respect for Ryukishi, least of all because he endorsed our fan translation of Ougon Musou Kyoku(something that Witch-Hunt didn't give a damn about).

Utaw<arerumono 2 looks cool.

Loving the animations and the new characters design felt true to the original and expected for a sequel.. Will watch.
They even included an amnesic guy lost in a forest rescued by the local village girl.

What can i ask for more ??

-----------------------------
The new Sunrider game is a surprise since i thought they would finish that story with more free patches ...but i have to admit that the gameplay of sunrider was intresting. I does however need to improve the choices during the "talk sections" and correct some slowdowns during some battles.
In short :
-More choices during the story
-More side missions
-More voices ( not even enough )

The game is not bad as it is, but it's held back by renpy and their budget.let's hope they can correct this for the third part but i'm not holding my breath.

Ps : cool interviews BTW

Top Bottom