• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Jazz573

So I'm still playing Baldr Sky Dive1. I'm about mid-way through the second chapter, going for Rain's normal route. Anyways, I'm enjoying it despite not understanding some parts, but I think I understand the key plot points so far. It would be nice if I could understand the small talk between characters, but it's not a big deal. I definitely would enjoy it better if I could understand Japanese better, but I can still tell that it's definitely a good game.

I'm thinking this game will probably be what gets me back to learning Japanese. I can read hiragana/katakana, but kanji is definitely a weak point, and I've also lost quite a lot of my grammar knowledge, which isn't ideal with VNR.

Talking about the other main aspect of the game, the actual gameplay, well I'm not that great, and I still haven't really gotten the hang of performimlng combos, but hopefully I'll improve. It's still fun, even though I suck at it.

Further to the previous point, if you guys have any suggestions about going about improving my Japanese skills, I'd really like to hear them. I did take two university courses in Japanese, so obviously I'm not completely new to the language, but I definitely am not great at it. But, anyways if you guys have advice, please let me know.

I recently bought two more visual novel hardcopies to add to my ever-expanding backlog, and they actually shipped on time. Trouble is, they were delivered to the wrong country. I'm currently working with customer support to sort this out, but I really have the worst of luck when it comes to purchasing physical visual novels, RIP. ;__;7

At least I'll eventually get them, yeah? I only started collecting physical (localized) visual novels at the start of this year, so I've been tracking down some of the out-of-print ones in priority over the current releases. The only one that is elusive to me (so far) is a physical copy of Nekopara Vol 1, of which absolutely nobody is selling a secondhand copy of. Denpasoft said they were working on their distribution system when I inquired about a restock, so I again assume I'll be able to purchase it eventually. However, the alternative is that I could use a proxy service to import the VN from the creators' website. Unfortunately, I have no idea what good proxy services there are; are there any recommendations for one that will purchase and ship a visual novel from Japan on your behalf?

Yuuichi

I recently bought two more visual novel hardcopies to add to my ever-expanding backlog, and they actually shipped on time. Trouble is, they were delivered to the wrong country. I'm currently working with customer support to sort this out, but I really have the worst of luck when it comes to purchasing physical visual novels, RIP. ;__;7

At least I'll eventually get them, yeah? I only started collecting physical (localized) visual novels at the start of this year, so I've been tracking down some of the out-of-print ones in priority over the current releases. The only one that is elusive to me (so far) is a physical copy of Nekopara Vol 1, of which absolutely nobody is selling a secondhand copy of. Denpasoft said they were working on their distribution system when I inquired about a restock, so I again assume I'll be able to purchase it eventually. However, the alternative is that I could use a proxy service to import the VN from the creators' website. Unfortunately, I have no idea what good proxy services there are; are there any recommendations for one that will purchase and ship a visual novel from Japan on your behalf?

Damn, finally someone with worse luck than me.

If you're looking for a proxy, I use http://www.dv8cag.com/. I've had 3? orders over the last year or so and all of them have been perfect. I haven't done a request outside of amazon though, so your mileage may be mixed.

Jazz573

I personally can vouch for Tenso. Everything I've got through them has been on good condition.

Edit: Also, Nekopara Vol. 0 has been announced.

Edit 2: Looks like it's getting an English release.

gaiages

Banned
For those that might be looking into grabbing a Windows tablet to play VNs, Best Buy is having a 2-day sale right now, and a DigiLand 8" tablet is going for $50. Looks like it'll be a decent low end tablet. It only has 16GB of memory, but you can use a MicroSD to help out with that, and the specs look like it'll run VNs just fine (then again, I know little about computers). Here's the link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/digilan...lack/3478033.p?id=1219582884928&skuId=3478033

Marche90

Not bad, not bad at all. Sounds like the kind of specs my tablet has. If you're only going to use it for VNs then by all means go for it since it is more than enough. Just be sure to install absolutely everything you can to the SD and use a Class 10 one.

Speaking of which, I'm finally using mine for that purpose again! (I had been using it as an eReader): Currently reading ToHeart 2, the newly liberated patch, and after that I'll read Dra+Koi and Kikokugai. Yeah, the XSEED Nitro+ Blasterz announcement got me in a Nitro+ mood
although I won't buy the game lol

Not bad, not bad at all. Sounds like the kind of specs my tablet has. If you're only going to use it for VNs then by all means go for it since it is more than enough. Just be sure to install absolutely everything you can to the SD and use a Class 10 one.

Speaking of which, I'm finally using mine for that purpose again! (I had been using it as an eReader): Currently reading ToHeart 2, the newly liberated patch, and after that I'll read Dra+Koi and Kikokugai. Yeah, the XSEED Nitro+ Blasterz announcement got me in a Nitro+ mood
although I won't buy the game lol

What's the quality of the ToHeart 2 patch like?

Hmm, I already own that. I thought there were more visual novels there, better ones.

I doubt it's the best, but Fragment's Note exists, and it's at least decent. I consider it mobile exclusive because in addition to iOS/Android, PSM is still technically mobile (and a dying platform).

Presumably nearing the end of Umineko ep 4 and it is ridiculous.
The whole flag situation with Virgilia and Krauss was just nonsense and it was great. I also like how Virgilia has become a total butt monkey this episode.

JulianImp

Presumably nearing the end of Umineko ep 4 and it is ridiculous.
The whole flag situation with Virgilia and Krauss was just nonsense and it was great. I also like how Virgilia has become a total butt monkey this episode.

Yeah, it gets crazy real quick there. I read the manga rather than the LN, so I only heard about that scene way later, and I instantly wished I could've just gone through the LN first instead. Still, being able to read the manga on the go as opposed to playing Umineko only while I was at home is what made me decide to play through Chiru while I read the manga for eps 1 to 4 (since I had watched the anime before).

Shizuka

I doubt it's the best, but Fragment's Note exists, and it's at least decent. I consider it mobile exclusive because in addition to iOS/Android, PSM is still technically mobile (and a dying platform).

I thought of that one as well, I might get it. I wish it was a native Vita title, but being PSM, I'd rather get it on my iPad.

image.php

JulianImp

Ha, I messed up there. Meant to say the VN.
First time I'm avatar quoted... it's kind of a strange feeling

Still, I do own the LNs up to EP 6 (all I could get by December of last year), and all the manga volumes up to EP7 #7 and EP8 #5 (and only managed to get #2 from Tsubasa), on top of the VNs. I only wish I could've found some Umineko merch, though. A Beato keychain would've been awesome.

That also reminds me that I foolishly though I could find the disks in a couple of stores I visited in Akiba. I quickly realized the error of my ways when I noticed the staircases leading up to the "PC Games" section were plastered with eroge illustrations all over the place (even the staircases).

Marche90

What's the quality of the ToHeart 2 patch like?

Hmm... decent, I guess? I haven't read all that much, but from what I've seen so far it seems competent. My guess is that the last routes are going to have better translations, except perhaps for Ruuko's, considering how Conman binge-translated that in one week (lol). About that route, I'm expecting a decent translation but tons of grammatical and punctuation errors

Hmm... decent, I guess? I haven't read all that much, but from what I've seen so far it seems competent. My guess is that the last routes are going to have better translations, except perhaps for Ruuko's, considering how Conman binge-translated that in one week (lol). About that route, I'm expecting a decent translation but tons of grammatical and punctuation errors

I'm just wondering whether I should wait for a final patch, but I have no idea how long that might take to release.

Marche90

That's a though question to answer. I would put it this way: if you have something else to read or do, do so before starting it and wait to see if another patch is released, but there's nothing wrong in starting it right now, because so far I haven't seen any fatal mistakes so far (even when I read the partial patch ages ago, the routes were fine)

Edit: Konomi's a goddamn ninja at the beginning of the game xD

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So any recommendations of VNs on steam with the summer sale?

I already have all of them on my wishlist but that's mostly out of morbid curiosity.

JulianImp

Eden is gonna be on sale, seems pretty dark (going by the trailer) compared to some of their other gazmes. I like their games so I'm picking that up.
Already @ 50% off too, so going lower. http://store.steampowered.com/app/315810/

Is it any good? I'm considering picking it up, but am not too sure about that. For reference, I had no qualms about putting up with Umineko being slow-paced at first or the fact that it was a kinetic novel, and I'm particularily into character drama series.

I'd love to hear any suggestions on other VNs that might be worth picking up during the Steam sale as well.

Is it any good? I'm considering picking it up, but am not too sure about that. For reference, I had no qualms about putting up with Umineko being slow-paced at first or the fact that it was a kinetic novel, and I'm particularily into character drama series.

I'd love to hear any suggestions on other VNs that might be worth picking up during the Steam sale as well.

Eden is pretty good, even if I think the first half was much better and the ending a bit anti-climatic. It's pretty much all character drama and it's not really slow paced considering it's less than 10 hours long.

I just read Kikokugai, the 2011 all ages remake version, and damn was that weird. Most of the twists and turns were really obvious, but it's certainly full of Urobuchi weirdness.

JulianImp

Eden is pretty good, even if I think the first half was much better and the ending a bit anti-climatic. It's pretty much all character drama and it's not really slow paced considering it's less than 10 hours long.

Alright, I've ended op biting on the sale. I'll let you guys know how it was for me once I begin playing it.

Do you think that at this point, this leads to the console release of Chaos;Head Noah or it may be regarding the PC release of Chaos;Head? He did use the Dual image from the Vita release, after all.

The implied PQube partnership makes me think consoles. Plus it's pretty much fully known at this point that Noah is being translated, to say nothing of business dealings.

It's been publicly stated that JAST has exclusive rights to all N+ pc games, so I wouldn't keep your hopes up for that.

There's nothing saying that they're not also working with JAST for a PC release of the original as well. That could be the true meaning behind the "Dual" teasing.

Top Bottom