• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

I think this will end up being a weird question, and please feel free to PM me instead if you think a reply is better as I do not want to derail anything in the thread.

If I was someone who wanted to learn a bit of Japanese on the side at some point, are the localizations that the big VN companies provide good enough to use as a reference point, or are they good to really great localizations (possibly outside of Go Go Nippon and I wouldn't know how good that localization is of course) and just leave it at that?

Thank you very much.

JulianImp

I think this will end up being a weird question, and please feel free to PM me instead if you think a reply is better as I do not want to derail anything in the thread.

If I was someone who wanted to learn a bit of Japanese on the side at some point, are the localizations that the big VN companies provide good enough to use as a reference point, or are they good to really great localizations (possibly outside of Go Go Nippon and I wouldn't know how good that localization is of course) and just leave it at that?

Thank you very much.

How good is your current level of Japanese? I think trying to read VNs won't work at all unless you know most basic kanji.

Trying to learn words by looking at the translations would also be a bad idea, since a good translation sometimes opts to rephrase things so that they work better in the new language, which would result in you picking up the wrong words.

If you really want to learn and have at least enough to get by, then you could try joining a fan translation team or something, like I have. It's definitely a good way to practice and pick up new words (as long as you aren't slow enough at TLing that you end up slowing the whole development down).

Yuuichi

Thank you very much.

I'm actually having a hard time answering this in the realization it's been years since I played a localized game, wow w. From what I have played and read, if you're looking for the most literal translation, I would look in to KonoSora. That said, it has some more complex technical words that I had to look up when I was playing, so there is that.

aravuus

I want to know Japanese, but I don't have the time or the patience to actually learn it. We have spaceships and computers already, where's my "download a book into your BRAIN and absorb the knowledge" machine??

Jazz573

Licensed LN/anime adaptations are mostly on handhelds though.

Yeah but he specifically said VNs, which implies VNs in general.

I want to know Japanese, but I don't have the time or the patience to actually learn it. We have spaceships and computers already, where's my "download a book into your BRAIN and absorb the knowledge" machine??

Yeah, would be nice. I can read and write hiragana/katakana, but my kanji skills are terrible. I mean, I can recognize a few, and I know their pronunciation and meaning, but there's quite a few where I don't. I really need to put in some more time. I've also lost quite a bit of the grammar, so I should refresh myself.

How good is your current level of Japanese? I think trying to read VNs won't work at all unless you know most basic kanji.

Trying to learn words by looking at the translations would also be a bad idea, since a good translation sometimes opts to rephrase things so that they work better in the new language, which would result in you picking up the wrong words.

If you really want to learn and have at least enough to get by, then you could try joining a fan translation team or something, like I have. It's definitely a good way to practice and pick up new words (as long as you aren't slow enough at TLing that you end up slowing the whole development down).

I'm actually having a hard time answering this in the realization it's been years since I played a localized game, wow w. From what I have played and read, if you're looking for the most literal translation, I would look in to KonoSora. That said, it has some more complex technical words that I had to look up when I was playing, so there is that.

I truly appreciate the feedback.

My understanding of Japanese and kanji is close to non-existent right now, but I am somewhat aware of how difficult it is based on a friend of mine who has extensively studied Chinese. If I did decide to take the full task on, it would not be for a few years at least. I will definitely consider the fan translation idea if I do take it on.

It sounds like VN translations are no different than some video game translations and that's fine (and completely expected), and I will make sure that I do not forget KonoSora as well since a literal translation is what I was looking for.

Again, it would be a few years and I'm confident that I could learn the language even when I'm 40, but only time will tell if that will be the right action or not.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Memory's Dogma has been greenlit!

Also, the physical stretch goal has been reached. Well, actually, they decided to add it early. Backers can choose it as an addon for $40, and backers who pledge $250 get it for free.

Would I be able to just back the game for the $5 wallpaper and then add on $40, or would I need to actually get a reward tier with a game key? Everything else I've pledged to already had the physical game as a reward tier, so I'm not sure with this one!

Yuuichi

Would I be able to just back the game for the $5 wallpaper and then add on $40, or would I need to actually get a reward tier with a game key? Everything else I've pledged to already had the physical game as a reward tier, so I'm not sure with this one!

Assuming it works the same way as all the rest of Sekai's kickstarters, (backerkit) then yes.

I'd consider doing the same if I wasn't dirt poor and currently unemployed for the summer, something I hope to rectify soon.

Jazz573

So I started playing Baldr Sky Dive1 today, and I'm liking it so far. I'm playing with VNR, but I've been able to understand what's going on well enough. Gameplay seems kind of fun. The music is really good, but I think most stuff from I've is usually pretty good. I haven't played that much--I'm only at the beginning of Chapter 2. Not much to say about characters yet, except for Kou and Rain, because those are the only characters I've seen so far. Kou seems like a cool guy. Rain seems like a nice person, and she's kind of cute too, despite her cold looking face. Definitely think I'll enjoy this game, and I'd like to say that GIGA made a fantastic game.

Yuuichi

Baldur is supposed to be rather good and it's up there on my list of things to play on VNDB, but right now backlog is death. It also has gameplay which means it's a bit of extra tedium, I'll usually only end up caring about the story.

Instead, I'm getting some replays of things I finally own real copies of done during finals week as not to get to invested in what I was playing before this week. It's strange to come back to something after a few years and in it's original language.

Jazz573

I'd like to play some moege, but I don't know what's good. Well, I have some idea of what's good, but I'd like to get an answer from people with experience. Anyone have any recommendations? Translated or untranslated is fine. Thanks.

Edit: The Moege Awards looks like it has some good choices. Strangely they classify the Grisaia series as moege.

Yuuichi

I'd like to play some moege, but I don't know what's good. Well, I have some idea of what's good, but I'd like to get an answer from people with experience. Anyone have any recommendations? Translated or untranslated is fine. Thanks.

Edit: The Moege Awards looks like it has some good choices. Strangely they classify the Grisaia series as moege.

Vaguest question I've ever heard, it's like half of all games released. Do you have a VNDB I can look at to help narrow it down?

Yuuichi

My wishlist is 3 games over a page and it holds everything I would consider playing for now, holy hell.

Looking at that list of what you have, KonoSora is probably the go to if you don't want to buy anything. I can't really comment on the translation or the patch, What I've played of it is from the original. Otherwise without votes it's a bit of a guessing game for me, I can tell you liked F/SN and that's it.

Jazz573

My wishlist is 3 games over a page and it holds everything I would consider playing for now, holy hell.

Looking at that list of what you have, KonoSora is probably the go to if you don't want to buy anything. I can't really comment on the translation or the patch, What I've played of it is from the original. Otherwise without votes it's a bit of a guessing game for me, I can tell you liked F/SN and that's it.

Thanks. I asked the question on reddit as well and they suggested some others:

Dracu-riot!

Princess Evangile

Clover Day's

Lovepotion Sixtynine

The moege awards have nothing to do with moege.

And since nobody can look into your brain and know what kind of heroines and character-interactions will resonate with you, asking what's good doesn't make much sense. You'll need to read trials and/or stick with games from companies you like.

Things that I read and liked from this year were Sanoba Witch, Hanasaki Work Spring and Pure x Connect. PxC is goddamn hilarious, has an unusual protag, interesting heroines and a university setting for the special kind of people who get tired of high-school.

Hoshi Ori Yume Mirai is pretty grand. Where other games give you the credits, Hoshiyume starts PART II after a timeskip, which is about the couple as grown-ups, with the protag having (or working towards depending on the route) a job as an architect. It's great and one of my favorite games in general.

Koiiro Sora Moyou if you want a somewhat older classic. But really, you'll have to find things for yourself for the most part.

Like, maybe you're a weirdo who's totally into Augment-chan, what do I know.
ihvdfk0uudg.jpg

Jazz573

I managed to get my wishlist down to 21 pages or about 25% of before. Still a lot, but much better than before. It was hard to do, mainly because I think I have some kind of addiction for adding VNs. It's also easy to lose hours browsing VNDB. For me at least, VNDB is basically the TVTropes of VNs.

Finished ep 3 of Umineko a few days ago. First one where I felt glad I played it instead of just rewatching that part in the anime. Good stuff, even after having seen its anime counterpart (which was when I dropped it, so 4 and up is all new to me).

Unfortunately, ep 4 has been a chore so far. There's been some interesting stuff here and there, but I REALLY don't care about Ange's relationship with those 7 purgatory fucks, nor do I think her life in general needs to be shown for 5 hours, ESPECIALLY when it interrupted an actually interesting part in the world of 1986.

Like seriously, 90% of this could be trimmed down to 1/5 of what it was and the point would still get across well. Everything over ep1-3 could have been told in 10-15 hours, and ep 4 isn't shaping up to be any better paced.

Ep 5 better be worth it like you guys said.

JulianImp

Finished ep 3 of Umineko a few days ago. First one where I felt glad I played it instead of just rewatching that part in the anime. Good stuff, even after having seen its anime counterpart (which was when I dropped it, so 4 and up is all new to me).

Unfortunately, ep 4 has been a chore so far. There's been some interesting stuff here and there, but I REALLY don't care about Ange's relationship with those 7 purgatory fucks, nor do I think her life in general needs to be shown for 5 hours, ESPECIALLY when it interrupted an actually interesting part in the world of 1986.

Like seriously, 90% of this could be trimmed down to 1/5 of what it was and the point would still get across well. Everything over ep1-3 could have been told in 10-15 hours, and ep 4 isn't shaping up to be any better paced.

Ep 5 better be worth it like you guys said.
グッド!

By mere virtue of
Furudo Erika
's existence in Ep5, reasoning that the episode is good is possible for me
デス

I'd say Chiru's where the story finally gets to spread its wing after all the world-building in the previous episodes, so hopefuly you can bear with goat-kun and Ange for now.

Li Kao

I don't play as many (PC) VNs as I used to.. mostly because sitting at my desk for long periods of time is getting uncomfortable.

Figured someone here would know of a way to play them in a portable fashion? (Besides getting a laptop) I've seen people recommend Windows tablets but I'd have no idea which one to get.

I've tried Teamviewer to stream my pc to my phone but eh, it's just too slow. The Vita remote desktop thing is too slow as well sadly..

Good god, if you find a streaming solution that works, I'm all ears. Last week I tried Teamviewer, Splashtop and KinoConsole, and neither was up to snuff on my tests. I even entered Moonlight (formerly known as Limelight) beta and on top of not working every time, the thing makes a mess of my desktop resolution. I won't say with certainty that they are all abysmal, as I'm not really experimented in streaming, but...
So I'm still looking for a solution to my "don't really play VN but maybe it's because of the desktop" dilemma. A Surface would certainly be neat but absolutely out of my price range. I guess there still remains the budget Win tablet route.

Amusingly enough I just received an ad from my bank, subscribe to our magazine service and you get a free android tablet. But well, the thing looks weak.
Mmh... ah, there it is : Dual core / Memory 4go / 1024x768

I don't play as many (PC) VNs as I used to.. mostly because sitting at my desk for long periods of time is getting uncomfortable.

Figured someone here would know of a way to play them in a portable fashion? (Besides getting a laptop) I've seen people recommend Windows tablets but I'd have no idea which one to get.

I've tried Teamviewer to stream my pc to my phone but eh, it's just too slow. The Vita remote desktop thing is too slow as well sadly..

There is a program called VNDS Interpreter for Android (IIRC) which lets some VN's run on Android devices. I don't know if it can run most VN or if they require a game-by-game patch.

aravuus

There is a program called VNDS Interpreter for Android (IIRC) which lets some VN's run on Android devices. I don't know if it can run most VN or if they require a game-by-game patch.

You got me all excited since apparently it can run Umineko too, maybe I'd finally manage to finish the rest of the episodes too

But no, I can't buy it! Google play just says "payment method has been declined" when I try to purchase it. Fucking what? I've JUST used the same exact card on the same exact account to buy shit on Play a couple of days ago. Fix your shit, Google.

It even declines paypal! It's like the store isn't even trying for fuck's sake

Shizuka

Not to stir anything up again, but Reading Steiner (one of the Steins;Gate translators) posted another teasing image on /a/:

A few days earlier he posted on Vitagen regarding the Steins;Gate release and the future of the Science Adv series:

In addition, some people have emailed PQube regarding future localizations, and received responses along the lines of
Hi,
Thanks for the email. Please email me again at end June, I hope to have more information then.

Best regards,

Of course, this is all 4chan-sourced, but it certainly couldn't hurt to take Steiner's advice.
AND ALSO MAINTAIN HYPE

Jazz573

Not to stir anything up again, but Reading Steiner (one of the Steins;Gate translators) posted another teasing image on /a/:

A few days earlier he posted on Vitagen regarding the Steins;Gate release and the future of the Science Adv series:

In addition, some people have emailed PQube regarding future localizations, and received responses along the lines of

Of course, this is all 4chan-sourced, but it certainly couldn't hurt to take Steiner's advice.
AND ALSO MAINTAIN HYPE

Maybe more Science ADV games? :)

AND ALSO MAINTAIN HYPE

I've been following that, and am fairly hopeful for it. With C;H being one of my favorite VNs, I'd be incredibly hyped if Noah or C;C were announced.
I'm one of those few people who liked C;H more than S;G.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe more Science ADV games? :)

This would be awesome :) Still waiting here in NA to double dip on a console copy of S;G though!

Oh, and it looks like Memory's Dogma reached it's 50k stretch goal which means physical OSTs! Time to wait for the update to see how much I need to drop down for that and the game.

Yuuichi

Aselia the Eternal is supposed to be really good.

At the very least, I've really enjoyed it. Without spoiling too much, the plot points themselves are fairly predictable and generic, but the world and characters are usually engaging enough that it's easy to look past that. The gameplay is also very unique and a pleasant challenge.

Top Bottom