• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
That's the thing though, it uses lovecraftian themes but completely misses the point of lovecraftian themes because anime must save the day.

Whatever though, I like the silly premise, they don't really take themselves all that seriously and sex scenes are hilarious so far.

PikkonX

Just picked up 999 for DS as my very first Visual Novel. Liking it a lot so far. Anything I should know about during my playthrough?

Shizuka

Just picked up 999 for DS as my very first Visual Novel. Liking it a lot so far. Anything I should know about during my playthrough?

Just know that there are several endings, that's all. Other than that, try to play the game without additional information (a.k.a. go blind).

Using a guide for 999 is actually not a bad idea. The game's structure is pretty terrible and there is already way too much repetition without trying to fumble through it on your own.

Shizuka

Using a guide for 999 is actually not a bad idea. The game's structure is pretty terrible and there is already way too much repetition without trying to fumble through it on your own.

Like people mentioned with Steins;Gate, try to get at least one playthrough going blind, use a FAQ after that.

Jazz573

Like people mentioned with Steins;Gate, try to get at least one playthrough going blind, use a FAQ after that.

I used a walkthrough pretty much for every ending of 999, and I still enjoyed it. Then again, I actually prefer to use walkthroughs, because I hate missing anything. That's why I always use walkthroughs for every JRPG I play. I don't really find that walkthroughs ruin the experience for me--they usually make it better. There probably aren't too many other people like me though, so I guess I'm a little weird. By the way I also used a walkthrough for all of Steins;Gate. I never once went blind, and I've never desired to ever go in blind. Of course, I still try to use spoiler-free walkthroughs, but they really don't detract from a game in my opinion.

Anyways, I'm on Chapter 9 of Chaos;Head.
I totally did not see Shogun being Takumi. It also seems like every character has a Di-Sword, and almost the entire cast is a bunch of nut-cases.

Jazz573

I'm at Chapter 10 of Chaos;Head.
Suwa just shot Hatano. Not that I care, because he's total scum. Though it would've been better if Sena had killed him so she could get her revenge for what he did to her mother and her little sister. Of course there are others suffering as much, like Nanami. I really feel sorry for her. :( I know she's not real, but I'll never forgive Nozomi for what they did to her.

Steins;Gate spoilers:
Do you think or know if there is a connection between SERN and Nozomi? Is it known anywhere, what wordline C;H takes place in?Do you think Okabe and his friends knew of Takumi and his friends, or is all they know just about knowing that the New Gen murders happened? On that note, I think it would be cool to see the Steins;Gate characters meet the Chaos;Head characters, even in a non-canon spinoff.

Jazz573

Lol. Does Overdrive seriously think it needs DLC? Though it's better they do that than milk one of their franchises like Kira Kira or DearDrops. Guess I should ask: is the DLC made by Overdrive or MangaGamer? I'd guess it's more likely Overdrive, since MangaGamer pretty much only does translations.
It's their best selling game, no surprise they are trying to make more content for it. Someone in Japan is making it, MangaGamer doesn't have development capabilities.

Jazz573

For anyone who has played Go! Go! Nippon, what's so bad about it? I mean the VNDB ratings are mostly concentrated between 6 and 8, so it can't be that bad.

Edit: Here's some more encouraging news from MangaGamer.

Edit 2: Don't know if anyone noticed, but in the link about Go! Go! Nippon's DLC, they also discuss a limited hard copy for No, Thank You! I'm not interested in BL games (not the target demographic, though interestingly, even though their targets overlap, I am interested in Otomege, probably because the main characters are girls), but for those who are I thought you might like to know.

Sorry, didn't notice someone already mentioned No, Thank You!'s hard copy.

Antiwhippy

Sorry about that. Didn't consider that it could be a spoiler.

Also man, demonbane suffers from that All you need is kill localisation quirk where they think a ton of cursing is dark and edgy instead of being very silly.

Shizuka

No, Thank You is also getting a hard copy LE.

That's MINE!

black-chick-throws-a-table-gif.gif

Steins;Gate spoilers:
Do you think or know if there is a connection between SERN and Nozomi? Is it known anywhere, what wordline C;H takes place in?Do you think Okabe and his friends knew of Takumi and his friends, or is all they know just about knowing that the New Gen murders happened? On that note, I think it would be cool to see the Steins;Gate characters meet the Chaos;Head characters, even in a non-canon spinoff.

Takumi was broadcast across the nation when he caused that big fuss on the streets, so Okabe knew of him at least. Daru also mentions a Neidhardt that he knows online, that was also searching for the IBN 5100.

As far as I'm aware, Taku and Okabe interact in the non-canon 8bit spinoff. There's also a short story where Okabe does his crazy rants to Sena on the streets, and some small insignificant Twitter interactions between Daru, Kurisu, and Taku in Robotics;Notes.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like the Memory's Dogma kickstarter is going to be funded. At this rate the physical release seems like it could actually happen.

Yeah I saw that, and there's even a physical OST possibility as well. Well, if those both happen then I will definitely fund >_> Probably will get there in about a week or so. As an add on, I assume I can just do the $5 tier and then add on the physical game and OST from there, correct? No real minimum you need.

Jazz573

I'm near the end of Chaos;Head and
all I can say is poor Takumi. :( I can't imagine how much pain he is going through. Norose is fucking cruel. Why is Rimi not doing anything? Is she possessed by Norose or something?

Edit:
Oh, it was a delusion. Well that's a relief.

I just finished route A and AA of Chaos;Head. What a great game. I was surprised that there was no epilogue scene after the AA ending though. It seems pretty common for that to happen after good endings based on my experience from the other VNs I've played. Is it worth playing through route B?

Edit: So Memory's Dogma has been funded.

Jazz573

Why did the funding explode today? It did more today than the previous few days.

Your link doesn't work.

Really? It works perfectly fine from here. I'm not sure how to help.

Anyways, I just finished Steins;Gate 8-bit. It's a pretty good game and I liked the references to Chaos;Head. I still feel it's a bit too expensive though, for how short it was. Still the box is kind of cool, and it came with a soundtrack, so in the end I still think it was worth it.

Another question, although I posted it earlier:
Is it worth it to go through Route B in Chaos;Head, or should I just move on to a new VN?

Is it worth it to go through Route B in Chaos;Head, or should I just move on to a new VN?

It's a gigantic pain in the ass to see because the skip function doesn't stop at delusion trigger points. I don't think it's worth the effort unless you really feel the need to see everything.

Jazz573

It's a gigantic pain in the ass to see because the skip function doesn't stop at delusion trigger points. I don't think it's worth the effort unless you really feel the need to see everything.

Thanks. I'm going to move on. On Monday I'm getting my copies of Baldr Sky 1+2 in the mail, so I'll need a VN to fill in the time between that. Unfortunately since I can't read Japanese I'll have to play BS 1+2 with VN Reader, hopefully all goes well.

I liked it. The actual ending was pretty depressing given how happy the A and AA endings were, so it's kind of a whiplash if you do it right away. But you do also get detailed descriptions of how all the New Gen incidents occurred. I guess the question is whether you want to read that though.

Jazz573

But you do also get detailed descriptions of how all the New Gen incidents occurred. I guess the question is whether you want to read that though.

Don't know if I have a strong enough stomach for that. Guess I'll never be able to play any of Nitro+'s darker VNs like Saya.

Antiwhippy

Finished demonbane (or at least one character's route anyway). Mostly skipped through all the battle scenes which I suspect severely cuts down on the playing time.

Have a lot of problems with it. Firstly there's a reason why I skipped the battle scenes, and it's because it's overly-written. Not only in padding but also just way too flowery. I get that the point is to be theatrical but it reads like the diary entries of someone who listened to too much Evanecense and Linkin Park. Sex scenes are also kinda terrible, but in a way that I can laugh at so that's fine. Also dunno if it's the localisation but while I don't mind cursing, the use of it feels incredibly out of place.

That said, really fun premise, ok to good characters, and while the story isn't exactly the most cerebral it is a fun roller-coaster ride that is anime as fuck. Which kind of negates the whole lovecraftian aspects of it really.

Jazz573

Why did the funding explode today? It did more today than the previous few days.

Sekaiproject sent out emails to backers of their previous projects, letting them know about the kickstarter. I got the email but I'd already backed it.

In the thread on /r/visualnovels about it get funded, dovac from SP, pretty much said that's the reason. I'm a bit surprised you hadn't seen that yet, since I've seen you post over there, though I suppose I don't how often you go onto the subreddit.

Edit: Already at almost 37k.

Sekaiproject sent out emails to backers of their previous projects, letting them know about the kickstarter. I got the email but I'd already backed it.

In the thread on /r/visualnovels about it get funded, dovac from SP, pretty much said that's the reason. I'm a bit surprised you hadn't seen that yet, since I've seen you post over there, though I suppose I don't how often you go onto the subreddit.

Edit: Already at almost 37k.

That makes sense. I just hadn't gone to Reddit today, so I didn't see that thread.

Top Bottom