• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Jazz573

Yay, let's do a Kickstarter for a previously F2P game. Really Sekai Project, stop.

It's a remake. Also,

We've partnered with Stage-nana to remake and bring over the the remaining untranslated content of the series. But we're not satisfied with just that, we're also creating a completely new chapter. On this journey, we've already spent $60,000 on development, translation, and licensing. Now we need your help to make the final game the best it can be.

Jazz573

Asking for 150k for this seems like a misread of the market, especially after their latest Kickstarter is failing.

Honestly, I think that failed for quite a different reason. And it's a completely different genre, and Narcissu is actually pretty well liked, so I expect it to be successful.

Shizuka

It's a remake. Also,

I know, but it's still the same game, at least the first and second chapters. They are doing additional content to justify the project, except we don't know if it'll be on par with the already release content. Oh, and:

Stretch goals (Subject to change)
$200,000: Support for more platforms (Specific Platforms TBD)
$250,000: Brand new Narcissu opening animation movie.
$500,000: (Secret!)

Not-This-Shit-Again-anime-28533251-604-340.jpg

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, I think that failed for quite a different reason. And it's a completely different genre, and Narcissu is actually pretty well liked, so I expect it to be successful.

Honestly, it's their only KS I didn't back. Just not into the magicak boy thing. I watched the first episode from that one spring anime with a similar theme, and it's just not for me. I think it's just one of those super niche things.

Jazz573

Honestly, it's their only KS I didn't back. Just not into the magicak boy thing. I watched the first episode from that one spring anime with a similar theme, and it's just not for me. I think it's just one of those super niche things.

Still a shame for the few people who would have been interested.

Shizuka

I understand you're backing all their projects, but why do you keep backing them when they haven't yet shipped any physical tiers you've backed? I'm incredibly wary of Kickstarter, I've backed exactly one Kickstarter (Class of Heroes II, which didn't meet the goal) and might back the first one that'll actually make it (Muv-Luv Trilogy, since they're doing everything Sekai Project didn't regarding the Vita ports).

Jazz573

I understand you're backing all their projects, but why do you keep backing them when they haven't yet shipped any physical tiers you've backed? I'm incredibly wary of Kickstarter, I've backed exactly one Kickstarter (Class of Heroes II, which didn't meet the goal) and might back the first one that'll actually make it (Muv-Luv Trilogy, since they're doing everything Sekai Project didn't regarding the Vita ports).

I'm probably going to back this, that Japanese School Life game, and Root Double. I hope they will wait a long while before doing any more KSes after that tho. They could also learn a thing or two from Degica.

I did make this reddit post however.

I have no objection to Kickstarters in principle, I've just come to the point with Sekai Project that they've failed to fulfill their promises or had problems with enough of theirs that I don't trust them and am perfectly willing to wait for it to come out on Steam. Hell, if I wait it'll probably be on sale soon after launch anyway, like all of their games. If they want to change my mind, they can start by making good on their older Kickstarters.

They could also learn a thing or two from Degica.
Degica is saying all the right things, but so did SP last year. Let's wait and see how Degica executes on everything.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

Because limited copies and goodies :x. Guilty as charged. Their original game doesn't intetest me either, though. I feel like things will pick up and my mailbox will get flooded all at once... soon...

And yeah, I feel for those that are watching the magical boy project fail. On top of it being super niche, I do also think they are having trust issues with fans with taking on so much in a year :/ I'm still optimitic ...

Jazz573

Aginyan from SP's response to my question:

We've already spent ~$60k of hard cash into the project, and in order to fund the production of important assets, we'd have to scrape together another 150k just to ship the games. Meaning no physical releases for anyone, no goodies, no extra scenarios, no new chapter.

Or we do this. For a series that I hope has many fans who would like to have physical items to hold in their hands, I think this is a proper and legitimate use of the kickstarter platform.

Jazz573

....I want those Narcissu goodies @ $180 toer.... I'm not helping, are I? >_>

Hey I'll back it. But if they announce any more after Narcissu, Japanese School Life or Root Double, I'm going to be a bit apprehensive about backing it. More KSs will just make it take longer to get their already growing list of licenses.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Hey I'll back it. But if they announce any more after Narcissu, Japanese School Life or Root Double, I'm going to be a bit apprehensive about backing it. More KSs will just make it take longer to get their already growing list of licenses.

They own my wallet already... But yeah I do feel it too, but still sticking myself out in a game of chance and pstience for exclusive goods.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
But I'm worried they'll announce another KS, that I absolutely will be unable to resist. :p

Yup I hear ya. (So many horrible typos I now notice with the past posts of going so fast on my phone...)

Still optimistic for a turn-around from them. Would hate to regret not getting any fancy boxsets.

Jazz573

Doubt many would care here, but Jawmuncher, a renowned member of SteamGAF made a VN. Get it here

Yes, it's mostly a joke game, and you probably won't get much enjoyment if you aren't part of SteamGAF.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Doubt many would care here, but Jawmuncher, a renowned member of SteamGAF made a VN. Get it here

Yes, it's mostly a joke game, and you probably won't get much enjoyment if you aren't part of SteamGAF.

Fine. I'll play it, and most likely enjoy it. I hope you and Jaw are happy with yourselves!

Jazz573

Another SP response:

OP:
Here we go again...

Why does this need so much money? Narcissu is much shorter than, say, CLANNAD which had a smaller goal on Kickstarter and is also from SP. It's also got no choices, right?

SP's response:

We are not funding localtization. That has largely been paid for already out of our own pocket.

Let's be clear that we are funding production of a game, meaning paying creators for artwork, voice work, music, etc., as well as the paying the development staff (what few there are) enough that they can eat and not die while working on this full time.

From ConfuzzledKoala on Reddit:

From what I can tell from watching the development of this project, it's sort of been /u/Aginyan 's pet project for a while. This isn't really the start of a new project, as it's been on their back-burner for quite a long time.

I'm not sure how being a pet project is an excuse.

Edit:

I'm hoping one day someone will go on reddit and tear them a new one.

Jazz573

You'll have to guess, not that different from my name here.
Goldzuka.

Figured that was you. :p

Lol at Aginyan's response to you.

Yep. No arguments there.
People need to come to terms and understand that Sekai has long since stopped using the Kickstarter platform to actually fund their projects. They have more than enough money to produce in-house as multiple projects have since taken that route. To them, Kickstarter is a glorified pre-order platform in which they not only don't have to deliver within your typical pre-order time frame, but rather they can abandon a project all together if it doesn't manage to prove to be profitable (Magical Boys anyone?).

If you subscribe to the notion that pre-order exclusives for AAA video game titles from publishers like EA are just a trash marketing ploy to trick consumers, then what do you think these Kickstarter pre-order campaigns really are...?

Shizuka

Cause you don't understand being a publisher? :p They are really beating around the bush.

Clearly, publishers know how publishers work and customers have no clue whatsoever. That's why Mangagamer, JAST USA and other companies have lots and lots of Kickstarters in their history for making their games work, or else they'd never be able to do them.

This guy raises a good point
I like Narcissu. It was one of the first that I read but I have a hard time seeing it reach $150K. That goal sounds outlandish. Grisaia's goal was only $10k higher. Clannad's goal was $10k less.
the first release could be as early as November for "Himeko's Epilogue". "A Little Iris" would release a soon after that, followed by "Zero" near the end of the year or early 2016. The new chapter "Sumire" would follow in early 2016.
Do you plan on having the KS start within a week and over within 30 days of that? That time frame seems extremely tight.
The release timeframe makes this whole thing even stranger. They want 150k and most of the work will probably be done before the KS ends.

Jazz573

Clearly, publishers know how publishers work and customers have no clue whatsoever. That's why Mangagamer, JAST USA and other companies have lots and lots of Kickstarters in their history for making their games work, or else they'd never be able to do them.

You tell 'em Shizuka! :p

I don't get why people defend them when the facts are that they have nine projects on Kickstarter and only one (or two?) of them are completely fulfilled.

None of their VN Kickstarters have been completely fulfilled. Even with Fault they haven't given the Vita port, the prequel game, or all of the physical goods.

Jazz573

I'd like someone on reddit to list all of their kickstarters, and ask for each one their explanation for why they've not yet delivered their physical rewards yet. It's time SP actually be held accountable for their actions.

Shizuka

None of their VN Kickstarters have been completely fulfilled. Even with Fault they haven't given the Vita port, the prequel game, or all of the physical goods.

I'd like someone on reddit to list all of their kickstarters, and ask for each one their explanation for why they've not yet delivered their physical rewards yet. It's time SP actually be held accountable for their actions.

Let's do this!

Top Bottom