• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | February 2013 | The most desirable handheld in Japan

zulux21

is santa monica will continue making new dlc for psabr now that superbot is gone?

hmmmm would santa monica one of sony's most important NA studios continue to work on making DLC for a game that by pretty much all accounts is a huge failure.

*shakes an eight ball*
"outlook not good"

edit: top of the page recommendation... I've got nothing...

hmmmm would santa monica one of sony's most important NA studios continue to work on making DLC for a game that by pretty much all accounts is a huge failure.

*shakes an eight ball*
"outlook not good"

edit: top of the page recommendation... I've got nothing...

They are working on DLC, though.

There were rumours all DLC was cancelled, but then there were rumours it wasn't, haha.

STG

thank you PS+

I think it is also great that I can get the DLC for free just because I have the PS3 version.

zulux21

They are working on DLC, though.

There were rumours all DLC was cancelled, but then there were rumours it wasn't, haha.

i didn't say it was a no, i just said the outlook wasn't good :p
i'd imagine they are going to be busy with god of war 4 for the forseeable future as there is no way they aren't working on a god of war game for the ps4.

hurzelein

Where can I actually see my free space on my memory cards? Thanks

Downloading Hardboiled Chicken right now. Ps3 Version didn't make me buy it, but I love 2D Games on the vita, and from what I have seen the transfer looks very polished.

Akira_83

Banned
Heard that by cutting off a few pixels from the picture (960x544 to 960x542) it wouldn't compress as badly as a background.

I forgot to disable the ratio setting so it got shrunken to 956x542, but it did work, even though the file size went up a bit.

Better alternative I mentioned before: US Sellers from eBay. Same (or slightly increased price), without weeks of waiting for bare-bone airmail delivery from China.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330779749968

wait so we shouldnt make our vita wallpapers the res of 960x544? even though thats pixel for pixel the vitas screen size?

Yeah make sure you grab Kay and Emmett DLC while its free!

Theres way more content than I expected with the trials, story mode, and unlockable stuff for both characters.

anddo0

Started Dokuro yesterday... well the game is better than I expected! There's even boss battles :D

Great game. It's level design is kinda puzzling though (no pun). The difficulty of the areas are all over the place in terms of pacing. I can be cruising through one minute, then I hit an area that has me stuck for an hour. Some of the later puzzles are actually easier than the ones you encounter at the start.

Shoyz

wait so we shouldnt make our vita wallpapers the res of 960x544? even though thats pixel for pixel the vitas screen size?

Just a tip I'd heard. I used this one in particular: http://i.imgur.com/yMTvpP8.png
If you use it, there's a bit of white pixellation on the top of her armband. With the shrunken version, not there!

It's minimal but it does seem less compressed.

Here's the cropped version I did, feel free to compare yourself: http://i.imgur.com/sOenjDD.png

I think I remember rumours of Isaac Clarke and another God of War character being DLC for PSASBR? Maybe we'll see them in March.

Gonna go download Kat and Emmett now.

EDIT: Oh, I also vaguely remember rumours of a Gravity Rush stage too?

Presentation wise, does it get past the similarities to Trials to the point where it feels like its own unique and well realized game? Or does it come off more like a cheap knock-off? In other words, what's your feel for the game?

How is the metagame presented? Do you see people spending hours and hours addicted to this game to do 100% completion?

Thanks for posting Pete. :) I'm highly anticipating this.

It doesn't stray far from the Trials template... but it clearly has more love put into it than a cheap knockoff. It's the Forza to Trials Evolution's Gran Turismo. It's well done, it's fun... but it's not quite the real thing.

The metagame is quite good but it's hard to say with 100% certainty after one night of play. Getting 5 stars on every track is difficult and rewarding much like Trials HD/Evo and I definitely can see getting hooked into doing that. The other things it tracks like length on certain jumps or how many flips you can do on certain jumps is also very cool and you can decide whether you want to see the world records or your friends records on that... so if you have friends playing it the replayability definitely rises.

I'm really interested in this one since i love this type of game (sadly haven't played one in a long time since i don't have an xbox). Is there a lot of replayability? Is it more "slow skill based" or "crazy as non-realistic as possible stunt" based?

It is 'slow skill based' like Trials HD/Evo. It's not 1000000 flips and shit like Joe Danger.

As for replayability - yes. Though I do wish the track count was higher. I'm burning through the content (though not even close to 5 starring it all). I hope the devs have the DLC train lined up, it's something I will happily plunk down a couple bucks every few weeks for more tracks.

How does the lack of analogue input effect the game. Trials on Xbox relys heavily on throttle input. The analogue triggers in the pad allowed for balancing the bike on various throttle control. Is the vita dumbed down a bit?

The PS3 version is superior for two reasons and the triggers is the big one. The Vita version doesn't feel 'dumbed down' but we all know it has to be. So they atleast did a good job of hiding it. Quick taps on the gas work reasonably well to approximate holding the trigger at 1/4 pull or whatever.

Even though you didn't ask... the second reason the PS3 version is superior is the backgrounds have more stuff going on and sometimes it comes into the foreground. This happens a bit on the vita but not nearly as much on the PS3 version. It actually gives the game a bit more lively feeling and separates it a bit from Trials HD. All of that said, however, I think the positives of the vita itself (portability, amazing screen, etc) make up for its shortcomings and i'm certain the vita is going to be my platform of choice after finishing up the review. It's also $5 cheaper on the vita which makes the small differences easier to swallow.

bradigor

OK, this is rather odd.

I bought Little Big Planet Vita a while back on retail cart. It was second hand so bought the Network Pass from PSN. Anyway, I had to sell the game a couple of weeks back to raise some funds.

I go to get Wipeout 2048 today on PS+ and notice I have LBP Vita in my notifications menu ready to install. Therefore I install and it seems to be the full game. I check the store to see if there is a demo or something, but alas, there isn't one it seems to be the full game.

Now this is the weird bit. Next to the item in the notifications menu, it has the PS+ symbol next to it. So now I am wondering, could it be the PS+ option for March? Or maybe it is due to replace Gravity Rush and or Uncharted?

Wish I had taken a screenshot of this, but so far it all seems to be working.

Mr E.

Thanks for the replys Mortimer. This sounds interesting. I did wonder if they would have tried the throttle on the right analogue as an option. Will definately give this a look.

thank you PS+

I think it is also great that I can get the DLC for free just because I have the PS3 version.

crap.
I bought Wipeout HD&Fury on my original PSN account that I forgot the password and the password to the email address I signed up with.

Guess there is no way for me to get the free DLC, right?

Thanks for the replys Mortimer. This sounds interesting. I did wonder if they would have tried the throttle on the right analogue as an option. Will definately give this a look.

I was hoping for that also even though it would be quite awkward off the bat. But, alas, there are no options. You can use X or R. Square is brake/back up.

JoshHood

crap.
I bought Wipeout HD&Fury on my original PSN account that I forgot the password and the password to the email address I signed up with.

Guess there is no way for me to get the free DLC, right?
Nope, sorry man. I guess you could contact customer services, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Tizoc

I currently have less than 6 GB in my 32 GB memory card =P
Is there a way to do something like 'disk clean-up', to find some unneeded stuff to delete?

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
I currently have less than 6 GB in my 32 GB memory card =P
Is there a way to do something like 'disk clean-up', to find some unneeded stuff to delete?

sighhh you still have more gb than my 4 card :(

by disk cleanup do you mean backing up so you can remove stuff?

Has anyone gotten their PSN credit for the referral program thing yet?

no i think the earliest it can happen is the 22nd? or the following week?

Nope, sorry man. I guess you could contact customer services, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Probably beaten, but... it wouldn't matter anyway. Needs to be on the same account he's using on his Vita. If his PS+ account is the current account he's using, then he'd either have to buy PS+ for the original account or he'd have to have the WipEout 2048 cart or he'd have to buy the game on the old account or whatever... it's a mess either way.

If you like VC1 at all, you'll love VC2. Sure, it's not as great as the original, but it's a damn fine portable. It's literally jam-packed with missions, numbering over 200. There are additional classes that are pretty interesting. You can grind missions for parts and higher ranks.

If you wanted, you could really sink a ton of time into the game, well over 100 hours. For $10 it's a complete steal. And the high school setting isn't as cool, but it works fine. The characters are still memorable and unique, and each have little side stories.

It's Valkyria Chronicles. Don't overthink this.

Your pros are my cons. I liked the focused nature of the original game and the fact it had very, very little map reuse (if you never play optional missions, you never play the same map twice). VC2 in comparison is a grindfest of epic proportions taking place on maybe 4 or 5 distinct map segments that you see over and over and over again, chasing medals that are literally rewarded completely at random. It's the epitome of unfun.

The cast is also generic at best and horribly irritating at worst. After several hours I found I simply didn't give a crap about any of them - a far cry from how well I connected and sympathized with the cast of the first game. Valkyria 2's cast is literally nothing but stereotypes, even outlined literally in the OT:

VC2-Thread-Logo.png

Thankfully, Valkyria 3 seems to fix most of these problems - the cast is way more interesting and the grindfest structure is all but gone, though the fact map reuse continues is a shame. Too bad Valkyria 2 shot the chances of the better game ever coming out here to hell.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
how high on the priority list do you think a dedicated list of purchased games is for sony and psn? im losing track of all these games i buy....

wilflare

Probably beaten, but... it wouldn't matter anyway. Needs to be on the same account he's using on his Vita. If his PS+ account is the current account he's using, then he'd either have to buy PS+ for the original account or he'd have to have the WipEout 2048 cart or he'd have to buy the game on the old account or whatever... it's a mess either way.

feels like writing to Sony and see what happens :/

Tizoc

sighhh you still have more gb than my 4 card :(

by disk cleanup do you mean backing up so you can remove stuff?

No, more like an option to delete any 'shadow' data or temporary data from installtions, etc.

Also Sony need to release 64 GB cards at a decent price (in Europe), I'd jump on that day 1

So after playing the Etrian Odyssey demo on the 3DS, I'm eager for a dungeon crawler. I just bought Class of Heroes. Anyone want to recommend a good starting party / tips?

Shahed

Your pros are my cons. I liked the focused nature of the original game and the fact it had very, very little map reuse (if you never play optional missions, you never play the same map twice). VC2 in comparison is a grindfest of epic proportions taking place on maybe 4 or 5 distinct map segments that you see over and over and over again, chasing medals that are literally rewarded completely at random. It's the epitome of unfun.

The cast is also generic at best and horribly irritating at worst. After several hours I found I simply didn't give a crap about any of them - a far cry from how well I connected and sympathized with the cast of the first game. Valkyria 2's cast is literally nothing but stereotypes, even outlined literally in the OT:

Thankfully, Valkyria 3 seems to fix most of these problems - the cast is way more interesting and the grindfest structure is all but gone, though the fact map reuse continues is a shame. Too bad Valkyria 2 shot the chances of the better game ever coming out here to hell.

I loved the first Valkyria Chronicles. Top 5 games of the gen. While VC2 added some decent stuff from a gameplay perspective, being on the PSP crippled the game. Barely any units, small maps taht were recycled, and an unengaging narrative method. The tone was completely changed as well, and while I still enjoyed the game overall, it's still a shadow of what the first game is.

I was hoping for that also even though it would be quite awkward off the bat. But, alas, there are no options. You can use X or R. Square is brake/back up.
Besides not being able to customize controls that much how are the other customizable options?

Can we customize the bikes cosmetically and functionally? How about the drivers?

What will push me to get 5 stars on everything? Any incentive or prize?

there are new Soul Sacrifice info about AI companion you can take on your mission, there are 100 of them in the game and they show 3 of them being Lancelot, Gawain, and Perceival. looks great. the story really got me intrigued.

yella

I was wondering... how much space is reserved in a 32GB card? Mine is coming later this week, maybe early next week if customs doesn't clear it immediately.

daoster

This infuriates me. VC2's cast may be stereotypical, but to think that VC1's cast was any less stereotypical is not true.

Valkyria Chronicles 1 and 2 were your typical Shonen anime stories, and the cast of both games reflected that. Now it's cool if you didn't enjoy VC2's cast, but let's not pretend VC1's cast was some bastion of originality. (For the record, I enjoyed both games' cast and story very much).

Also, VC2 did not shot the chance of VC3 coming out in America. Sega did that the moment they announced VC2 for the PSP, and I'm surprised that we even got VC2 here at all.

Seriously, what was Sega expecting? A large seller on a system that was largely dead outside of Japan at the time of release ? And now we're reduced to mobile games. *sigh*

Shahed

there are new Soul Sacrifice info about AI companion you can take on your mission, there are 100 of them in the game and they show 3 of them being Lancelot, Gawain, and Perceival. looks great. the story really got me intrigued.

I really like the little tidbits of lore and background info they've given on the game. Always a sucker for that stuff. I just hope as much of the game as possible is okay to do single player/offline since I'll really be getting it for a campaign more than anything else

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It doesn't stray far from the Trials template... but it clearly has more love put into it than a cheap knockoff. It's the Forza to Trials Evolution's Gran Turismo. It's well done, it's fun... but it's not quite the real thing.

is the game cross-save? Might double dip in that case, playing the PS3 version where possible and then switching to vita when the PS3 is being hogged.

This infuriates me. VC2's cast may be stereotypical, but to think that VC1's cast was any less stereotypical is not true.

Valkyria Chronicles 1 and 2 were your typical Shonen anime stories, and the cast of both games reflected that. Now it's cool if you didn't enjoy VC2's cast, but let's not pretend VC1's cast was some bastion of originality. (For the record, I enjoyed both games' cast and story very much).

Also, VC2 did not shot the chance of VC3 coming out in America. Sega did that the moment they announced VC2 for the PSP, and I'm surprised that we even got VC2 here at all.

Seriously, what was Sega expecting? A large seller on a system that was largely dead outside of Japan at the time of release ? And now we're reduced to mobile games. *sigh*

Putting words in my mouth there - I only said I connected with the first game's cast much better. The problem I had with VC2's cast wasn't just that they were stereotypes, but that they were bloody annoying. I'll be hearing Avan's laugh in my nightmares for years to come.

I'm still not really sure the series had another direction it could have taken in terms of platform; I get the impression the first game underperformed and it would have been costly to make a second game on the same scale, and the PSP was hot in Japan at the time. It made sense purely in that it probably made back what they put into it on Japanese sales alone.

Top Bottom