• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | February 2013 | The most desirable handheld in Japan

Yeah that Vita thread was pretty unbearable. I posted my thoughts and promptly left.

The sad part is that they did show games, they were just games we knew about - now we know more about some games, like that new Legend of Heroes game (which looks awesome). And honestly all the people clamoring for MH on Vita are just clinging to an old, archaic franchise. I'm so tired of MH's controls and grindiness, I'd much rather have PSO2 in English than MH.

Edit: TOP OF PAGE!! BUY ALL THOSE FF GAMES IF THEY'RE STILL ON SALE! Also buy DJMAX, Persona, and preorder and later buy Ys Celceta and Muramasa.

zulux21

Sony is doing all wrong with Vita. They need to realize one of the Vita's biggest problems is storage. 32GB just isn't enough if you buy many games, and memory cards are too much expensive. They need either to realease a new high end model with 64-128GB of embedded memory or release bigger memory cards. I don't really care about a price drop if the storage issues are still here.

While the memory card price is an issue personally I don't feel that the storage is even remotely an issue worth worrying about at this time.

The only people that it effects are the people who will buy a lot of games on your system.
if there are a lot of games on your system someone wants they will likely buy it regardless of storage issues.
they will also likely buy multiple cards if they have to have them all downloaded at once.
while yes it sucks for the people who buy a lot of digital games, it's hardly a problem that is effecting sales, a few here and there sure but memory card prices, vita price (which looks like it's getting some help), and big game announcements (hopefully feb 25-28th at destination playstation) are far higher on the list then overall memory storage limits.

Holmes

Hello VitaGAF. Long time lurker. Just wanna say I love my Vita and I have a few questions. I'm looking to buy some grips for my Vita and I want to know if any of you guys have any experience with that. The one I'm looking at now is the Nyko Power Grip. I've read some reviews and the main complaint I've seen is the bulkiness, which isn't much of a problem for me. The reason I'm looking into getting grips is that I eventually get discomfort in my hands after playing for a while (not as bad as the 3DS though, but still). And the extra battery life isn't a bad bonus either. I've seen that EB sells some grips too, but they look... subpar. And there are no stores in my area of Toronto that even have them in stock anyway.

Also, I might look into getting thumbstick caps as well. Sort of like this. Would it be worth it? They're pretty cheap, but I don't know. Sometimes my thumbs get uncomfortable using the thumbsticks.

Anyway, I'm gonna devote the next few days to Retro City Rampage. I want to 100% it. Wish me luck.

wilflare

Yeah that Vita thread was pretty unbearable. I posted my thoughts and promptly left.

The sad part is that they did show games, they were just games we knew about - now we know more about some games, like that new Legend of Heroes game (which looks awesome). And honestly all the people clamoring for MH on Vita are just clinging to an old, archaic franchise. I'm so tired of MH's controls and grindiness, I'd much rather have PSO2 in English than MH.

Edit: TOP OF PAGE!! BUY ALL THOSE FF GAMES IF THEY'RE STILL ON SALE! Also buy DJMAX, Persona, and preorder and later buy Ys Celceta and Muramasa.

I'm waiting on a drop on DJMAX and Persona :/
bleh. still waiting on that PSN card to reach my friend in the US... :/

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
yeah, really had to utilize the "G-commandment" and plead the fifth in that thread.

i mean we got the #1 requested thing people have been asking for vita and that was a price cut...

also we got updates on two games that many considered vaporware...so really they might as well be considered newly announced games!

im pretty happy overall with the event. for it being last minute, i think we got a healthy dose of info. just need to be sensible with expectations.

Ponn

Banned

Im sick of the MH bandwagon meme as well, im not even a fan of them and dont see the big deal. A big varied library is preferrable.

Ive said it before and still mean it. If the Vita was dropped and cancelled and we only got what is left to be released i would still love my Vita for PSP, PSone, FF, Persona and Jrpg library. Enough just pure awesome games to play till eternity. But i realize im in a very niche group that quite obviously cannot sustain a system. And it is very sad to see the potential of the system i like squandered and go unused.

Twinduct

Im sick of the MH bandwagon meme as well, im not even a fan of them and dont see the big deal. I big varied library is preferrable.

Ive said it before and still meanit. If the Vita was dropped and cancelled and we only got what is left to be released i would still love my Vita for PSP, PSone, FF, Persona and Jrpg library. Enough just pure awesome games to play till eternity. But i realize im in a very niche group that quite obviously cannot sustain a system. And it is very sad to see the potential of the system i like squandered and go unused.

PSP's success has been regarded to solely exist thanks to MH or atleast that's what most drive by posters believe. Honestly though every comment that was in English, during the stream, was something about 'Monster Hunter 4!?' or some shit.

Midou

PSP's success has been regarded to solely exist thanks to MH or atleast that's what most drive by posters believe. Honestly though every comment that was in English, during the stream, was something about 'Monster Hunter 4!?' or some shit.

Phantasy Star seemed to do really well too, PSO2 might be able to help get it closer to PSP's success at least.

Ive said it before and still mean it. If the Vita was dropped and cancelled and we only got what is left to be released i would still love my Vita for PSP, PSone, FF, Persona and Jrpg library. Enough just pure awesome games to play till eternity. But i realize im in a very niche group that quite obviously cannot sustain a system. And it is very sad to see the potential of the system i like squandered and go unused.

Yeah, it's kind of nice just to play PSP and PS1 games on an awesome screen with a full console set of controls. I've bought quite a few PSP games on sale and transferred a lot of PS1 games to it.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

Surprising, considering mh isn't even that big in the west.

Twinduct

Phantasy Star seemed to do really well too, PSO2 might be able to help get it closer to PSP's success at least.

Not if you want to believe the masses. You see the PSP was dead ... but thanks to monster hunter it became a success and now that the franchise has been money hatted away, the Vita is dead and no amount of anything will save it.

They could have announced a 10 year plan with a timeline of having 10 first party titles a month and it would have been a disappointment to the masses.

All this has turned into is a sanctioned smearfest.

Ponn

Banned

I think MH, helped in Japan, but starting second year they had that influx of finished big name games from third parties like GTA, Crisis Core, GoW and yea MH.

Rayman Origins Vita has all the same content ect as the console versions right?

Damn I'm torn between Persona 4 Golden and Revengeance releasing at the same time.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Damn I'm torn between Persona 4 Golden and Revengeance releasing at the same time.

Easily P4G, if only for content duration alone. Did you play the Revengeance demo?

gkryhewy

They could have announced a 10 year plan with a timeline of having 10 first party titles a month and it would have been a disappointment to the masses.

All this has turned into is a sanctioned smearfest.

No, that is precisely what would not have been a disappointment to "the masses," but I for one am grateful that we have elites like you around to explain why we should take what we're getting and be grateful.

dan2026

Hmm looking for a new RPG to play on the old VIta.

Almost got Final Fantasy Tactics but was turned of by the reports of framerate problems.

Thinking about getting Ys: The Oath in Felghana, but I've never played a Ys game before...

Sid

Almost got Final Fantasy Tactics but was turned of by the reports of framerate problems.

Thinking about getting Ys: The Oath in Felghana, but I've never played a Ys game before...
Start with Ys 7.

Ponn

Banned

Oh FFS i wish people would stop listening to that blabber. Just get FF Tactics WoTL abd enjoy one of the best games ever made.

Cha

We really need a Soul Sacrifice English demo in March. I'm itching to get back into the Japanese demo, but swapping cards is such a pain :/

Noticed a few creatures that I haven't seen before in today's "Vita Heaven" thing.

Edit: Holy Sh** - That other thread!! Lol.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

Why would frame rate even matter? It is a turn based strategy game.

In any case, you can always get tactics ogre. One of the best strategy RPGs ever made.

We really need a Soul Sacrifice English demo in March. I'm itching to get back into the Japanese demo, but swapping cards is such a pain :/

Noticed a few creatures that I haven't seen before in today's "Vita Heaven" thing.

You've got to figure they release a demo for it here soon. Especially considering its the single big release in spring/summer

Wazzy

Banned
Oh FFS i wish people would stop listening to that blabber. Just get FF Tactics WoTL abd enjoy one of the best games ever made.
Seriously. WOTL is amazing and while the slow down can be bad at points, it's really not enough to detract from the game like people make it out to be.

I just picked up FF I+II, IV complete collection and VI(own the rest) I'm gonna be having some fun times with my Vita.

Shoyz

You've got to figure they release a demo for it here soon. Especially considering its the single big release in spring/summer

Watch them not release it at all :(

I also love the fact that they're giving away hard copies of the demo -in cases- to new Vita purchases when our bundles come with loose-cart games. With a picture of a cased game on the box. Hilarious.

zulux21

hmmm the free vita game through plus this week is megaman x
also 20% off urban trails.

free ps3 game is vanquish this week

daoster

A price cut, new color, ps plus free for a week and ps+ offerings finally giving proper free games (not only discounts as it was now) is big for potential Vita owners in japan, correct.

The fact that they announce that together with the Soul Sacrifice release (and immediately following games) WILL move units, and I bet it wont be just a few. The bigger question how Sony will try to leverage this momentum and whether it will work.

Again, I will point out here, none of these games save for 2 are exclusive for Vita, so why are we expecting these announcements to be system seller?

- Price cut & new colors - Great! The price cut only came ~4 months late, but better late than never.
- Playstation + offering free games in Japan - this is great...for current Vita owners. If these games have not moved the Vita in any massive numbers, how will giving it away for free improve things? I still don't believe that giving away free games is a system seller. This may entice current customers to sign up to Plus, but probably won't be a system seller.
- PSO2 - If you're a a big PSO fan, chances are you already own it. Maybe will help move some Vita, but it won't be the "system seller"
- Soul Sacrifice - the dark horse that may end up being the system seller for Vita. But it seems like you guys (and Sony) are really putting all the eggs in one basket and hoping it sells like MH did for the original PSP. Are we sure about this? It seems like a pretty dark and mature game, and I'm not sure how well that will hold up with the Japanese gaming populace.
- Toukiden (or whatever the Koei game same) probably won't be a system seller. If you own a PSP already, why will I buy this on the Vita?
- GodEater 2, again, will probably be outsold by the PSP version and won't move significant units! This is like expecting Mass Effect 3 or Assassin's Creed III being system sellers for the Wii-U.
- Falcolm's RPG - yay!
- Bandai's Gundam game - a game that seemed like it'd be a PERFECT for the Vita...I mean, based on toy models? Oh wait...Ps3 game too.
- Valhalla Knights 3 - Will not be a system seller.
- Dragon's Crown - Is also a PS3 game...
- Final Fantasy X - Will sell much better on the PS3.

You may call this momentum, I call this flailing. If this was streamed on Japanese television channels, all the more reason to cry at the missed opportunity that was this event, where not a single new game was shown. Again, if Sony can't be bothered to show that they are making games for the Vita, why should third party care?

If you're a potential Vita owner, chances are, you're already a gamer that at the very least pays some attention to what games are on the horizon, and there's probably a good chance you're already in the Sony ecosystem (PS3 or PSP). Other than Soul Sacrifice, can you honestly tell me that any of these other games would make you jump to a Vita right away?

Salaadin

Im a Metal Gear die hard and, if I had to choose between Rising and P4G, Id pick P4G. Its an incredible game.

At least that stuff is positive, and not ill-informed.

It's just such... braindead rhetoric, especially if you've played MonHun V.S. some of those others. Save for sharing a Camera perspective & a hunting aspect, they gameplay is so vastly different that it seems a genuine disservice to just lump something like God Eater 2 under "MonHun Clone LOL!" And Toukiden, being an Omega Force game, AND allowing you to actually destroy enemies piece by piece, changing their attack styles and gameplay actively throught the fight? MonHun has a bit of that, but a game based around such sounds genuinely exciting (and like something I'd want to play, reqardless of platform.)

And I find it pretty cool to see Drag Crown get it's first update of the year at a Vita converence, rather than as a PS3 mention.

I guess I just dislike seeing quality products dragged through the mud for the sake of poor, repetitive jokes, and half-baked information... gotta vent it every once in a while!
Thank goodness for this thread! I was going to go insane reading through the thread last night for the Vita Heaven direct feed. Thought i was the only one who thought the next few months of Vita in Japan looks awesome...

arigato

Oh my goodness! The memories! The challenging missions and bosses! Thank you!

Seriously, PS+ is the best thing Sony has done this generation perhaps. Has there been a poll on that?

Co-sign I've wanted to play some Mega Man X since the summer. Perfect timing since I finished Golden Abyss last night.

Yeah...a price drop and a bone for ffx were the only good news... And only like 2 games were Vita exclusive... Super disappointing

What does "exclusive" have to do with anything? I could care less if it's got a PS3 or 3DS equivalent if it's a good game and worthwhile to buy on the Vita. 3DS has tons of exclusives I don't give a flying fuck about... which is why I don't own one. Point here is exclusive does not mean good. :p

I think the biggest dissapointment for me was no memory card size increase. Ah well. Not terrible, the price cut should help things a little.

Yeah, what the fuck -- I'm sick of running out of space on this 32gb. I'd buy a bigger card so I can fit everything without playing musical chairs.

It's pretty telling that the only interesting thing that was shown was FF10 HD, and I'm not really sure that anything was revealed except that it's still alive.

Oh well screw that I'm going to bed. I don't know what I was expecting.

It doesn't tell anything. Except that, for you, nothing interesting is coming. I like you, Divekick01, but I have to break it to you: your preferences and interests pertaining to the Vita do not apply to everyone and thus, it's only "telling" in the sense that it should tell you whether or not you have anything to be hyped about. :p

You forgot toukiden, and I think it's a little far fetched to call every single multiplayer action-rpg game a MH clone. DC a MH clone? Now that's stretching it as hell.

Exactly. 2D MP beatemup with RPG system = MH clone? Please. Even some of the 3D games are iffy on the comparisons.

freaking massive disappointment and waste of time,Sony just gave up completely on Vita it seems(will write my thoughts later when I wake up)

Well at least Dragon's Crown is still a thing.

smh@SCEJ and SCE Japan Studio

We knew you'd be disappointed, that was a lock, but yeah, I agree with you... I was hoping for a lot more than that, particularly new FW with folders or more pages at least and larger memory cards.

And I'm sure you'll be back to "Dragon's Crown doesn't exist" in a couple of weeks... just a random blip, nothing to see here, move along. ;)

Woah! Free Maverick Hunter X for Plus! I was gonna buy that game anyways but this is sweet, saved me $5 at least XP.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013...pdate-vanquish-joins-instant-game-collection/

Great. I love it when they give me shit I already own. :p
Oh well, it's a good update with 2 great games (Vanquish is one of the best games this gen, hands down... it's my favorite Platinum Games title until Tuesday at least. Probably my favorite TPS too.)
At least I get a discount on Trials for Vita.

Im a Metal Gear die hard and, if I had to choose between Rising and P4G, Id pick P4G. Its an incredible game.

Boo this man.

zulux21

I was hoping for a lot more than that, particularly new FW with folders or more pages at least and larger memory cards.

If only sony had two more big playstation events where news like a vita firmware update could drop in the next week.... oh wait that's right we have the future of the playstation event on the 20th and destination playstation on the 25th(-28th) :p

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
hmmm the free vita game through plus this week is megaman x
also 20% off urban trails.

free ps3 game is vanquish this week

I was wondering what that other user was commenting about a "trails" game. lol

Its URBAN TRIALS, people ;)

Tizoc

My first time playing MHX on the PSP I beat it without getting any armor parts, I've NEVER done that in any X series game before XD.
I still have the UMD but I am not selling it off~
Now gimme a Capcom sale so I can get BoF3!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
MHX for free..then Powered Up showing on PSN like a boss.

do it Capcom

We knew you'd be disappointed, that was a lock, but yeah, I agree with you... I was hoping for a lot more than that, particularly new FW with folders or more pages at least and larger memory cards.

No FW update for ages now lead me to think that the FW team is busy on PS4,which is the situation with the entire company it seems.

The worse is yet to come, when PS4 arrive Vita might even lose the B-teams games(Bend,MM) and shitty exclusives(AC3:L/COD) that it gets now,Sony budget will be for dat PS4.

And I'm sure you'll be back to "Dragon's Crown doesn't exist" in a couple of weeks... just a random blip, nothing to see here, move along. ;)

No, that will be just trolling,I never do that.

Atlus were keeping it in the dark, I was questioning development process ,they showed it now..end of story.

Salaadin

Yeah, what the fuck -- I'm sick of running out of space on this 32gb. I'd buy a bigger card so I can fit everything without playing musical chairs.
Thats what we say now. If they released a 64GB card, in a years time, we will be here again saying "Damnit Sony, wheres my 128GB card! This 64GB is tooooo fulllllll!!!" :p

Boo this man.
:(

I know Rising is going to be awesome and Im hyped as hell to get my LE tomorrow but I just feel like P4G is the better choice. Raiden cant compete with Yu Narukami!

Tizoc

MHX for free..then Powered Up showing on PSN like a boss.

do it Capcom

Did Powered-up ever have DLC released for it? Wonder if that's a reason it didn't get ported to PSN yet. Then again if they do put Powered-up on PSN, it'd be $10, altho it would sell more if it were 5-7.50 @_@

Toma

Bitch I'm not 'other user' and its trials!

its the only trials we will get anyway :(

Oh lol, wasnt checking the usernames, haha. BUSY WORKING, as you can obviously see with me posting in here.

If only sony had two more big playstation events where news like a vita firmware update could drop in the next week.... oh wait that's right we have the future of the playstation event on the 20th and destination playstation on the 25th(-28th) :p

Yeah, why announce things about the Vita at the conference/presentation dedicated to the platform? Let's wait to announce it until everyone is focused on the PS4. Brilliant. :p

Thats what we say now. If they released a 64GB card, in a years time, we will be here again saying "Damnit Sony, wheres my 128GB card! This 64GB is tooooo fulllllll!!!" :p

:(

I know Rising is going to be awesome and Im hyped as hell to get my LE tomorrow but I just feel like P4G is the better choice. Raiden cant compete with Yu Narukami!

Depends on your preference -- I haven't cared to play RPGs in a long long time. I played FFXIII a year or two ago and platinumed it, but I haven't even started FFXIII-2 yet... I just don't gravitate to that genre anymore. I just want to see people support a new IP based on a kickass universe and developed by what I consider to be the best developer in the game right now. I'm sure P4G is great, especially if you're a Persona fan or really into JRPGs, but if you like Metal Gear or action games at all, Rising looks to be amazing.

I think I'm most excited that Platinum handled the development on PS3 this time, so like Vanquish, it should have great performance instead of being the sub-par Bayonetta port. That was playable to me and yeah, that game had performance issues on all platforms, but I don't want to see another case like that again.

And yes, 64gb would have me bitching that my card was too full quickly... but a 128gb? That'd be perfect for me at this point.

Did Powered-up ever have DLC released for it? Wonder if that's a reason it didn't get ported to PSN yet. Then again if they do put Powered-up on PSN, it'd be $10, altho it would sell more if it were 5-7.50 @_@

I'm pretty sure it was covered in here at some point when Toto brought up the game and I learned what it really was...
It's on PSN in Japan, it's just something where Capcom claims Sony handles the porting/emulation or whatever and they claim they can't get it working on NA/EU PSPs/Vitas.
So the reason it's not on PSN isn't because of DLC, at least not the publicly stated reason.

While the memory card price is an issue personally I don't feel that the storage is even remotely an issue worth worrying about at this time.

The only people that it effects are the people who will buy a lot of games on your system.
if there are a lot of games on your system someone wants they will likely buy it regardless of storage issues.
they will also likely buy multiple cards if they have to have them all downloaded at once.

while yes it sucks for the people who buy a lot of digital games, it's hardly a problem that is effecting sales, a few here and there sure but memory card prices, vita price (which looks like it's getting some help), and big game announcements (hopefully feb 25-28th at destination playstation) are far higher on the list then overall memory storage limits.

I disagree. Just becasue you use to buy a lot of games, it does not mean you are willing to buy multiple 32GB cards. In fact, this is what is holding me from buying a Vita right now. You know, money doesn't grow on trees.

Top Bottom