• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | February 2013 | The most desirable handheld in Japan

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
vita is in no more trouble than it was in the fall. don't you worry your little heart about that schobeleth.

in fact it actually might be in a better position.

The Light

I thought the even was really just to announce the price drop and remind japan consumers of what is releasing soon. I don't get why people were expecting more. Unless their hype for the 20th flowed over to huge expectations for the vita event.

Kyon

Banned
I thought the even was really just to announce the price drop and remind japan consumers of what is releasing soon. I don't get why people were expecting more. Unless their hype for the 20th flowed over to huge expectations for the vita event.

It WAS just for the pricecut and to remind JP of the upcoming games for the ppl interested in it for the pricecut. It was never hyped as anything else.

I personally always hype conferences and announcements :) so my disappointment is in myself lmao

nowai

GOD FUCKING DAMMIT

but yes I do

gzV3oQK.jpg

Speaking of Senran Kagura! There's a ton of unlockables in the game and the DLC(so far) are just more chances to unlock more items from the slot machine. While playing you unlock coins. You use said coins to unlock outfit pieces at random, or you can buy "DLC coins" to guarantee you get a new item from the lottery.

slow edit :(
kukukuku

zulux21

DLC Cheating is a really tiring trend.

i miss proper gameshark support for games.

it was so fun in games to goof around with stuff...

that feeling when you put in the code to make L moon jump in ocarina of time... and you jump off something and hold it until link is so high up the map is just a spec.... and then fall for like 25 seconds only to take a half of a heart of damage.... I miss stuff like that :/

QP3

vita is in no more trouble than it was in the fall. don't you worry your little heart about that schobeleth.

Do you think the 20th will give us a better idea of where Sony is heading with it in the future?

What I mean is, if Sony shows off the PS4 and doesnt mention anything with cross play or vita connection, that (I would think) would be bad news. On the other hand, they could have big plans for the vita-PS4, which I would love to see and would think would bode well for the system (?).

Thank you brah ;( I just needed someone to be there for me and hold me and you did just that. I just want the little Vita to be able to stand up to it's big brother (literally), the 3DS XL. Why can't both handhelds and their communities just get along ;_;

zulux21

Do you think the 20th will give us a better idea of where Sony is heading with it in the future?

What I mean is, if Sony shows off the PS4 and doesnt mention anything with cross play or vita connection, that (I would think) would be bad news. On the other hand, they could have big plans for the vita-PS4, which I would love to see and would think would bode well for the system (?).

i think if they have big cross system plans it will be good for both systems (assuming it's optional like it should be)

I mean basically they could pull off the wiiu... except the controller has it's own game library that you can take with you wherever. And you don't have to pay for the controller if you don't want to... meaning you don't have to cover the $200 controller in the base cost of the console, instead you can get $400 of console with your console buy instead of $200 of controller and $150 of console :/

while I wouldn't use remote play much, I wouldn't mind using my vita for split screen where i can use the tv and my wife uses the vita screen so that we both have a full screen. I love local co op in games but wouldn't mind alternative choices for playing local co op.

Thank you brah ;( I just needed someone to be there for me and hold me and you did just that. I just want the little Vita to be able to stand up to it's big brother (literally), the 3DS XL. Why can't both handhelds and their communities just get along ;_;

Because people want to justify their buy by having the best library, the most sales ect.
The simple fact is the vita doesn't have to beat the 3ds to be successful. The psp didn't beat the DS but it was hardly a failure. People seem to forget just because you had the most sales doesn't mean it was better than something that had less sales.

I mean heck, Duke Nukem Forever sold more copies than like half of the games in my library (if I recall right it sold around 1.5 million copies) doesn't mean it's better than oh... persona 4.

Kingdoms of alamur sold a good number of copies as well... doesn't mean it was more successful than persona 4 either, as atlus actually made money off persona 4... the same can't be said of kingdoms of alamar.

a lot of people just look at sales though... thinking they are the only thing that maters... where then are a number of things that matter just as much... but that's just how it is.

OmegaZero

So, the Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus Official Thread will be going up tomorrow.

Any last minute suggestions for a tagline?
I'm still thinking of going for "More Blood, Less Frames" but if anyone has an idea that they want me to consider, speak up!

Shoyz

I'll close my eyes and not say a word if I can unlock it all in-game! :x I feel most games would just sell you the outfit pieces nowadays.

The risk is that the games themselves might become balanced towards it in that you choose to either waste time grinding it out or shell out the cash.

Monster Monpiece is a title I was really suspicious towards in that regard. To get a key (which is required to evolve certain rarer cards), you'll either need to spend the money to buy it as DLC, or grind 45 /thousand/ points in game. To put that in comparison, a pack of five cards costs somewhere around 1.5k, and battles tend to reward less than a thousand each. That's roughly 45 long battles for the average payout, or somewhere around 22.5 at best with random 'challenges'. And that's only one upgrade among many.

This concept is extremely palatable in a F2P game where you can earn the premium goods for free, but you shouldn't be penny-pinched in a full-priced retail game.

Twinduct

Hmm come to think of it, was this past event actually Vita heaven 2? I didn't see it mentioned during the stream nor was there any branding for it on the ustream/ Sony page?

Sure it is:

library is bigger
hardware is cheaper to produce giving room to price cut
PSN+ is spreading vita games to ps3 owners ;)
software releases for Q1/Q2 is better than lasy year
Sony should have Killzone for September and probably Sony Bend game for Q4.

now we only need cheaper memory cards

QP3

i think if they have big cross system plans it will be good for both systems (assuming it's optional like it should be)

I mean basically they could pull off the wiiu... except the controller has it's own game library that you can take with you wherever. And you don't have to pay for the controller if you don't want to... meaning you don't have to cover the $200 controller in the base cost of the console, instead you can get $400 of console with your console buy instead of $200 of controller and $150 of console :/

while I wouldn't use remote play much, I wouldn't mind using my vita for split screen where i can use the tv and my wife uses the vita screen so that we both have a full screen. I love local co op in games but wouldn't mind alternative choices for playing local co op.

This seems so logical and realistic, and yet, as being such I feel like it is too good to be true :(

Really hoping Sony goes this route with the vitas future though.

Sid

Makes sense. Man the hype on that thing exploded.
Also if anyone knows, wasnt there some teaser for Sony which ended at the start of the 'superbowl' ... or something? What happened to it?
lol that was the GoW:A ad on the Superbowl livestream on the internet,lulz.

zulux21

This seems so logical and realistic, and yet, as being such I feel like it is too good to be true :(

Really hoping Sony goes this route with the vitas future though.

I feel it would be the intelligent way to go about things. Worst case no one cares about the connectivity and it really doesn't hurt anyone. Best case people love the connectivity with third party AAA games and it sparks large sales of the vita and ps4.

Personally I don't think it would be a huge selling point, as I never felt the wiiu controller was anything all that amazing. But it would be a nice bonus use for the vita.

The Light

I don't think cross play will be a big deal. I mean didn't they tout that feature twice this gen on ps3 with the psp and vita, but nothing came of it.

zulux21

I don't think cross play will be a big deal. I mean didn't they tout that feature twice this gen on ps3 with the psp and vita, but nothing came of it.

the big difference would be that with the extra power the ps4 will have it would be possible all games would at least feature remote play to the vita... i mean there is only like 15 games that support remote play right now... it's hardly anything to care about.

if every game supports it though, smoother than it is now, then people who are interested in it might actually care.

The Light

the big difference would be that with the extra power the ps4 will have it would be possible all games would at least feature remote play to the vita... i mean there is only like 15 games that support remote play right now... it's hardly anything to care about.

if every game supports it though, smoother than it is now, then people who are interested in it might actually care.

This is true. I did not think about that.

zulux21

This is true. I did not think about that.

yup it will be interesting to see what sony does with a system that has a decent amount of ram. I mean with the ps3 party chat can't be done because there isn't enough ram... it's no wonder that being able to stream a game in the background isn't common.

ideally the ps4 packs enough punch that a crap ton of background stuff happens.
I mean we have rumored background video recording with uploads to youtube. If every game can support background recording of the game, then there is a good chance they could also support streaming of the game to the vita (likely not both at the same time)

While I am not big on social features (quite frankly if anyone on my facebook or twitter activate a tweet for every achievement they get I will remove them even though I don't really use facebook or twitter for anything but contests lol) stuff like uploading gameplay video is big for me as I do write reviews from time to time, and have been thinking about getting more serious about them (which reminds me I should get around to publishing my finished persona 4 review lol) the screen shot feature on the vita has been great as I can easily get the screens of stuff I wanted to talk about.

but i mean some other social features could be cool. Imagine if sony set up a network that by going to your ps home menu you could easily jump to a forum dedicated to the game you are playing where you could post about an issue you are having in a game, and go back to playing your game and be notified when someone responds to you... or heck instead of a forum perhaps set up a chat thing where you write the topic of your problem and some people who want to help you can see a stream of your game and tell you what you are doing wrong like they are there with you. There are a number of interesting social features out there if the system can handle it.

Question... How is the Vita as a tablet replacement? Is the Facebook app comparable to the one on ios? How does the browser stack up to mobile safari and chrome? Is WhatsApp available on Vita?

CAVE343

Question... How is the Vita as a tablet replacement? Is the Facebook app comparable to the one on ios? How does the browser stack up to mobile safari and chrome? Is WhatsApp available on Vita?
Facebook works pretty good, but no WhatsApp. The browser isn't as good as I hoped it would be. It's ok but a far cry from browsing on an iPad

ZeroAKA

The Vita won't work as a tablet at all. Its app selection is extremely limited.

zulux21

i wish it was a decent tablet replacement, then i wouldn't need to look into getting a tablet for ebooks/pdfs/manga reading :/

I've got a Vita question and this seems like the most reasonable thread to ask. I have a North American Vita. When Phantasy Star Online 2 officially launches later this month, what do I need to do to my Vita to get a Japanese account on it? I found some tutorials, but they were all from early last year and there have been several firmware updates since then, so I am not sure if they are still valid.

I got my Vita instead of a Nexus 7 because I was interested in games first and tablet-y stuff second so I'd recommend if you really want tablet-y stuff, I'd say get a tablet, haha.

Vita is okay for web browsing and pretty good for YouTube, but it sure ain't an iPad or Android-powered device.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
You need to keep it running in the background to stay online?

As long as you are doing something on the Vita, and as long as that something isnt deactivating Online (like certain games do), you stay online even if the app is closed.

Top Bottom