• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | February 2013 | The most desirable handheld in Japan

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Is Japan some mystical land whose inhabitants are ignorant of gaming news? So what if this event was fire Japan? It offered Japanese fans nothing new either...

Because it wasnt aimed at japanese hardcore Vita owners? It was obviously aimed at people not owning a Vita and people not all that good informed about Vita.

That thing being announced a few hours before its being aired should have been a good hint.

Sid

OK then.....I would have rather preferred them advertising it more rather than putting out videos which no one besides GAF will watch.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
OK then.....I would have rather preferred them advertising it more rather than putting out videos which no one besides GAF will watch.

It was apparently aired in japanese TV. And I am not disagreeing with the notion of wanting more news, but if they want non-informed JP audiences to pick up Vitas NOW, it actually makes more sense to have an informational reel about games to be released in the next weeks (right after a price cut and a new color!), than whats coming in 2014/End of 2013.

Oshimai

... which had one major announcement for Vita (Tearaway). Hooray!

Killzone Mercenary and first footage of Black Ops Declassified. While Black Ops wasn't a polished product, it was still a major announcement.

On top of Killzone Liberation, that's not too bad for a system's first E3 and Gamescom showing.

I made the mistake of replying to you the first time. You clearly don't really want to have a discussion.

To reiterate my point in my first post you quoted, if any company wanted to make a major announcement, they would tell people ahead of time.

This presentation was announced last minute. Therefor not a lot of people would know about it. And if it was something major, Sony would tell people ahead of time. For example, most recently, the PlayStation meeting on the 20th.

Toma

Killzone Mercenary and first footage of Black Ops Declassified. While Black Ops wasn't a polished product, it was still a major announcement.

On top of Killzone Liberation, that's not too bad for a system's first E3 and Gamescom showing.

I made the mistake of replying to you the first time. You clearly don't really want to have a discussion.

To reiterate my point in my first post you quoted, if any company wanted to make a major announcement, they would tell people ahead of time.

This presentation was announced last minute. Therefor not a lot of people would know about it. And if it was something major, Sony would tell people ahead of time. For example, most recently, the PlayStation meeting on the 20th.

I dont know you, but I like you. Please stay in this thread, you have common sense.

daoster

Because it wasnt aimed at japanese hardcore Vita owners? It was obviously aimed at people not owning a Vita and people not all that good informed about Vita.

That thing being announced a few hours before its being aired should have been a good hint.

So Japanese gamers who are Monster Hunter fans or PSO fans don't read Famitsu and Dengeki and whatever Japanese gaming blog are popular over there? Nobody had any idea that Phantasy Star Online 2 (a popular and successful series) was coming to Vita at all?

These are things that should have been remedied by a strong marketing campaign, not a Vita heaven

Takao

Banned
Mario Gear Solid: Yoshi Walker, Shin Dynasty Warriors, Tales of the World 4, Hastune Miku Project Diva 3, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Phantasy Star Portable 3, Final Fantasy VIR, Dragon Quest XI, LBX 3, Shin New Love Plus...

it's a good thing i own 3ds too

Toma

So Japanese gamers who are Monster Hunter fans or PSO fans don't read Famitsu and Dengeki and whatever Japanese gaming blog are popular over there? Nobody had any idea that Phantasy Star Online 2 (a popular and successful series) was coming to Vita at all?

These are things that should have been remedied by a strong marketing campaign, not a Vita heaven

This IS the marketing campaign for JP. That stream/video right there. Thats also what they are going to shout from blogs and sony websites for JP in the next few weeks.

PRICE CUT
COLOR
GAMES YOU WANT THAT RELEASE NOW

If your beef is just that they called it "Vita Heaven" and not "Vita AD aimed at JP audiences", well then thats your problem.

Toma

Luigi Gear Solid: Yoshi Walker, Shin Luigi Warriors, Tales of the Luigi 4, Hatsune Luigi Project Diva 3, Phantasy Luigi Portable 3, Luigi Chronicles 4, Luigis Fantasy VIR, Luigi Quest XI, Luigi 3, Shin Luigi Love Plus...

Fixed :p

But yeah, there are some games I look forward to on 3DS. Namely Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing, but overall I am actually looking forward more to smaller Indie stuff as Urban Trials on Vita than the bigger games on 3DS (Cant get hyped for Luigis mansion at all).

Sid

Mario Gear Solid: Yoshi Walker, Shin Dynasty Warriors, Tales of the World 4, Hastune Miku Project Diva 3, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Phantasy Star Portable 3, Final Fantasy VIR, Dragon Quest XI, LBX 3, Shin New Love Plus...

These games are all garbage apart from MGS.

In case no one saw my post earlier and/or haven't visited the "Vita Heaven" thread:
a quick summary of the stream. may be incomplete due to my memory

-PS VITA System-
1.Price drop: 19,980 yen for both Wi-Fi and 3G models
2. a free week of PS+ for Japan accounts (free games include Uncharted, Dokuro, some others I forget)
3. Reader App (for manga)
4. Torne App (PS3's TV recorder thing, only in Japan)
5. New silver color for Vita

-Games-
1. PSO2 (Bundle with silver Vita for 19,980 yen)
2. Monster Hunter clones up the wazoo, Soul Sacrifice, God Eater 2, Toukiden, Valhalla Knights 3
3. Dragon's Crown (2D side scrolling Mon Hun clone? lol)
4. Sen no Kieski
5. UMD Passport: import PSP God Eater 2 to Vita (for free? i forget)
6. Gundam Breaker (Mon Hun mech clone?)
7. FF X (character model only)

For people saying the announcement had nothing new, the price drop, PS+ free games, Reader and Torne Apps, and the silver color are all new. The price drop is obvious, but I think the free games for PS+, along with the free week of PS+, is a good thing. We talk about PS+ freebies on America and Europe's PSN stores, but Japan really hasn't had anything like that yet. So far, Japan has only had discounts on games (and not very good discounts at that) and subscription rates are not as high as in other regions. More PS+ = more awesomer

I'm betting that in addition to selling more Vitas, SCEJ wants more PS+ subscribers. With the PS4 announcement in a couple of days, I'm sure SCEJ will hint that PS+ will be a must have service for the new console. Today's Vita announcement is Sony's attempt to win back more of the Japanese market they lost as well as get more PS+ subscribers for the future. I may seem overly optimistic, but I think Sony's announcement today is a good thing for the Japanese market.

The only thing I disliked about the announcement was that Toukiden was announced for both Vita and PSP, which will discourage many people from buying a Vita for that game, since they most likely have a PSP already. Sony needs to start letting go of the PSP if they want their latest handheld to get a larger market share.

Toma

Yeah that comment was a bit stupid as well. These games definitely are anticipated by many people and a great and diverse upcoming release roster. People need to stop shitting on either platform, both have its strenghts and weaknesses.

Sid

Yeah that comment was a bit stupid as well. These games definitely are anticipated by many people and a great and diverse upcoming release roster. People need to stop shitting on either platform, both have its strenghts and weaknesses.
What? lemme clarify...I have no interest in them.

Toma

What? lemme clarify...I have no interest in them.

Thats fine, but outright declarding them "garbage" is just trolling. Same thing I complain about in doom Vita thread posts about Vita usually.

I mean Horsez 2 is garbage, I give you that, but high profile names of the 3DS line up arent even really in the same stratosphere of game quality.

DBT85

I hope the combination of a price drop, free games on PS+ and PSO2 make a few people buy one.

I expect to see a price drop for the west mentioned on Wednesday.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
My final words about the stream:

"The Wii U's market position in Nintendo direct is definitely more comparable to the Vita. Nintendo (like Square here) pulled out whatever development scraps they had lying around in order to make long term promises. Zelda/FFXHD images and character redesign shots.

Vita has games coming, so they chose to showcase them with the price drop (everything other than Dragon's Crown and FFXHD is out by summer). It would've been nice to have hype-inducing crazy ass trailers for like Bayonetta or X (or some other game without a release year) to finish it all off though."

Sid

Thats fine, but outright declarding them "garbage" is just trolling. Same thing I complain about in doom Vita thread posts about Vita usually.
I have no reason to shit on any platform,if I wanted to buy something more I would have done that ages ago, those games mean nothing to me that's all.

Toma

Random aside: I recently went to try out the 3DS XL. While I didnt notice it as much with my 3DS, the pixel size on the 3DS XL compared to Vita is so jarring. I couldnt notice anything but pixels. Mario 3D Land immediately looked unappealing. My gf had the very same impression as well. Kinda weird now how people prefer the XL over the normal one if games look way cleaner.

daoster

Killzone, which until very recently was briefly mentioned and briefly shown on a clip shows, constitutes as a major announcement? A trailer of Black Ops (which we all kinda knew since the first day of the NGP) which deflated any and all hype and confirmed the worst fears of a lot of Vita owners concerning Call of Duty on the Vita constitutes as a major announcement?

I would say the price drop is a major announcement which wasn't told so far ahead of time, so here we are, a major announcement of a price cuts and little else.

What conversation are you trying to have with me? "Chilax guys, this wasn't meant to be big, lolz, wait till E3/Gamescom/TGS?" This is a message that has been repeated by Vita fans ad nauseaum since the NGP was first introduced.

This IS the marketing campaign for JP. That stream/video right there. Thats also what they are going to shout from blogs and sony websites for JP in the next few weeks.

PRICE CUT
COLOR
GAMES YOU WANT THAT RELEASE NOW

If your beef is just that they called it "Vita Heaven" and not "Vita AD aimed at JP audiences", well then thats your problem.

A price cut is good, new colors are good. introducing games which Japanese gamers can buy on the PC/PSP/PS3, and all of which have been announced before hand? That's not good.

My beef is that Sony seems to think that what they did today will actually produce significant momentum for the Vita. Announcing a price cut and...at least one new game would have been better than what they pulled off today.

You seem to think unless you're the hardcore Vita fan (in Japan), this is new and exciting news for potential Vita owners in Japan! I seem to think otherwise...

DBT85

Velocity fans heads up.

Dear neogaffers - it's all very well having stats but how do we analyse those stats? I have a proposal. If you press the triangle button on the stats screen I'll run a simple maths formula on all the stats and print up a message - e.g. "ricen beans salutes you!" - where the name is chosen based on the formula. Who wants their neogaf name to be in the game? Or your real name if you prefer. Post a reply here and I'll add you to the array. James likes the idea and it's no problem to code it in.

Cheers,

Robin Jubber, Futurlab, Feb 2013

Post in here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=507883&page=4

Toma

A price cut is good, new colors are good. introducing games which Japanese gamers can buy on the PC/PSP/PS3, and all of which have been announced before hand? That's not good.

My beef is that Sony seems to think that what they did today will actually produce significant momentum for the Vita. Announcing a price cut and...at least one new game would have been better than what they pulled off today.

You seem to think unless you're the hardcore Vita fan (in Japan), this is new and exciting news for potential Vita owners in Japan! I seem to think otherwise...

A price cut, new color, ps plus free for a week and ps+ offerings finally giving proper free games (not only discounts as it was now) is big for potential Vita owners in japan, correct.

The fact that they announce that together with the Soul Sacrifice release (and immediately following games) WILL move units, and I bet it wont be just a few. The bigger question how Sony will try to leverage this momentum and whether it will work.

Twinduct

Random aside: I recently went to try out the 3DS XL. While I didnt notice it as much with my 3DS, the pixel size on the 3DS XL compared to Vita is so jarring. I couldnt notice anything but pixels. Mario 3D Land immediately looked unappealing. My gf had the very same impression as well. Kinda weird now how people prefer the XL over the normal one if games look way cleaner.

Picked up an XL with Mario land. Was hoping it would 'fix' my issue with the original 3DS .. which was when moving an inch the whole effect falls apart.

It didn't :/

kiyomi

Didn't see the stream and haven't fully caught up with every minutiae of what happened (although thank you hi-fi), but my initial reaction is a bit tepid. Yes, it's perhaps a shame we didn't get much in the way of new games, but the sign that Sony has realised the precarious position the Vita is in and initiated a price cut does actually restore a little faith in their future plans for the system. Hopefully they announce the same for the west on the 20th, along with more concrete details on what we might see in 2013/14.

It's small but I think it's a start.

When/if Vita sales pick up and games are announced suddenly Vita will be alive again lol. But the complaints will continue to come in anyways.

This is a bad time to be a Vita/Wii U defender lol.

Toma

Picked up an XL with Mario land. Was hoping it would 'fix' my issue with the original 3DS .. which was when moving an inch the whole effect falls apart.

It didn't :/

Ah yeah, that too. The XL actually made that problem WORSE for me. Couldnt easily focus on the 3D image.

kiyomi

Toma, do you still do Treasure Park sheets? I sent you one out of nowhere but I can't remember if you actually play it now :lol

Toma

Toma, do you still do Treasure Park sheets? I sent you one out of nowhere but I can't remember if you actually play it now :lol

I would, but everytime my Near says it picked one up, I cant actually find it in Treasure Park :(
The direct message thing still works though, will do that then :)

Edit: Done and won!;) Will send you one in return. Want an easy or hard one? ;p

Ramune

I want to say that I knew exactly what was going to be shown in this "Vita Heaven" and outside of the price drop, I was pretty spot on. Was Gravity Daze, Project Diva, and P4G offered as the free games? Because if so, holy cow, Japan PS+ers didn't have ANYTHING as remotely good as what the west gets, so that would be pretty huge! And with the lineup coming soon, this is some much needed momentum. Glad to see they're doing something besides throwing games to the wind.

Only thing that disappointed me a bit was seeing God Eater 2 promote Ad-Hoc Party. Still hope it has it's own online mode, for my Vita friends that don't own or want a PS3.

And seeing all the cross PSP/Vita stuff reminds me of when the GameBoy Color came out and playing Pokemon vs. someone on a regular Gameboy gave you faster results on the color unit. You'd have already taken out their Pokemon, but the person on the regular GameBoy didn't quite get the bad news yet. Time to upgrade! ^_^;

I want to say that I knew exactly what was going to be shown in this "Vita Heaven" and outside of the price drop, I was pretty spot on. Was Gravity Daze, Project Diva, and P4G offered as the free games? Because if so, holy cow, Japan PS+ers didn't have ANYTHING as remotely good as what the west gets, so that would be pretty huge! And with the lineup coming soon, this is some much needed momentum. Glad to see they're doing something besides throwing games to the wind.

Only thing that disappointed me a bit was seeing God Eater 2 promote Ad-Hoc Party. Still hope it has it's own online mode, for my Vita friends that don't own or want a PS3.

And seeing all the cross PSP/Vita stuff reminds me of when the GameBoy Color came out and playing Pokemon vs. someone on a regular Gameboy gave you faster results on the color unit. You'd have already taken out their Pokemon, but the person on the regular GameBoy didn't quite get the bad news yet. Time to upgrade! ^_^;

They just mentioned Gravity Daze, Project Diva, and P4G in the beginning as current successful titles. The Japanese PS+ free games are Uncharted, Dokuro, Ridge Racer, a Musou game, a Sudoku puzzle game, and one more whose title I can't read. Definitely not as good as USA or EU PS+, but a start.

Here's a link to PS+ info http://www.jp.playstation.com/psn/plus/camp_Vita130228/

DiscoJer

Fellows, take a long, chilled glass of purchase escapeVEKTOR to settle those frayed nerves.

We're still getting Frozen Synapse Vita.

I would be more impressed if we were getting XCOM or Civ 5. It's nice the Vita is getting something, but I was hoping for more than indie games.

Top Bottom