• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | February 2013 | The most desirable handheld in Japan

I would be more impressed if we were getting XCOM or Civ 5. It's nice the Vita is getting something, but I was hoping for more than indie games.

Funnily enough, I love seeing Sony becoming more receptive to indie titles. And we're not getting the equivalent of a 1994 shareware compendium, either.

Bring on Trials, too.

EDIT: Just realised this is my first top 'o the page recommendation.

Buy escapeVEKTOR, friends.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
last jp ps+ game is zero escape

Wow. The new JP PS+ offerings arent shabby, not shabby at all (finally). Its really insane that people think that this stream was a non-announcement.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Man this thread is getting violent...

Also I can't wait to see velocity ultra say Carl's name like a million times

This thread was still tame compared to the other one.

Toma

Oh I know, I bailed on that thread early . No point getting banned. :) anyway less meta more vita!

You mean as in the Frozen Synapse announcement which was the most amazing announcement anyone could have done game wise? Not going to move a lot of units, but hot shit damn is that an amazing announcement of an amazing game. Cant think of much I'd prefer over it.

I would honestly buy a Vita for FS Portable.

dw next and zero escape were announced as jp ps+ games last month

Hm. Was there a thread on GAF? JP news doesnt seem to get much attention.

You mean as in the Frozen Synapse announcement which was the most amazing announcement anyone could have done game wise? Not going to move a lot of units, but hot shit damn is that an amazing announcement of an amazing game. Cant think of much I'd prefer over it.

I would honestly buy a Vita for FS Portable.

SpaceChem would make a nice Vita addition. But now we're port-begging like common plebs.

Toma

SpaceChem would make a nice Vita addition. But now we're port-begging like common plebs.

Not gonna happen either. I know straight from the horses mouth that development on SpaceChem has ended and wont be picked up again.

I dont think it has enough mass market appeal for a third company to approach the SpaceChem devs either, but who knows. I certainly wouldnt have bet even a single Euro on the FS announcement before either.

Edit: You like EscapeVektor? Already impressions on it somewhere (link/quote)? The videos werent too convincing and looked more like Pacman than an interesting puzzle game.

zulux21

so I just woke up, checked news... as far as I can tell though no one is talking about the vita bonus pack, just the price cut o_O;

personally I think a vita system at the original price with a 32gb card is just as exciting to talk about as a vita system with no memory card for ~$50 cheaper o.o;

Toma

so I just woke up, checked news... as far as I can tell though no one is talking about the vita bonus pack, just the price cut o_O;

personally I think a vita system at the original price with a 32gb card is just as exciting to talk about as a vita system with no memory card for ~$50 cheaper o.o;

Oh yeah true. That makes the console about 100$ cheaper than before, doesnt it? Stand + foils included as well apparently, making it another 10-15$ cheaper. Nice.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Veru true; Taking away that Memory-related barrier of entry should be great. Was easily one of the main things that stopped me early on.

This isn't even mentioned in the "Vita Heaven" thread, is it? Should be there, rather than all that "everything is MoNHUnBaDerp!" commenatary over and OVER...

Moobabe

No price cut on the cards though - that, coupled with the potential announcement of the PS4, has me on hold for a Vita. Oh plus the "no gamez lolz" thing as well.

zulux21

Veru true; Taking away that Memory-related barrier of entry should be great. Was easily one of the main things that stopped me early on.

This isn't even mentioned in the "Vita Heaven" thread, is it? Should be there, rather than all that "everything is MoNHUnBaDerp!" commenatary over and OVER...

im not sure if it's posted anywhere... I just skimmed quickly as i am helping my wife get ready for work and just through it was odd I didn't quickly find any news on the value bundle in the price cut thread. If you guys that have been up haven't heard about it then it might not be bad news to get out somewhere because that value bundle is pretty nice for people who are gonna need space, I know if that came to NA my friends looking to buy a vita would get that over the $200 vita.

No price cut on the cards though - that, coupled with the potential announcement of the PS4, has me on hold for a Vita. Oh plus the "no gamez lolz" thing as well.

that value bundle is sorta like a price cut. i mean you could look at it as getting a $200 vita plus a 32gb memory card for $50 when they are normally $100 :p
the no gamez thing though is still a valid reason to not get a vita as while it's getting a number of games a lot of them are small indie or niche titles for it right now.

Oh my god please being that pack to the west.

If people can get a vita for the same price except it includes a 32gb card? Throw some plus in there and people are sold.

Think - you get a vita, the biggest card and then 4 games and another two each month

It's just the usual suspects.

Will be interesting to see what impact price cut and march busy with games will have on Vita sales in Japan.

zulux21

It's just the usual suspects.

Will be interesting to see what impact price cut and march busy with games will have on Vita sales in Japan.

well the immediate impact will be obvious.... vita sales for February are going to be absolutely terrible world wide now... and sales outside of japan will be nearly nothing until the price drop hits those areas as well.

Not gonna happen either. I know straight from the horses mouth that development on SpaceChem has ended and wont be picked up again.

I dont think it has enough mass market appeal for a third company to approach the SpaceChem devs either, but who knows. I certainly wouldnt have bet even a single Euro on the FS announcement before either.

Edit: You like EscapeVektor? Already wrote full impressions on it? The videos werent too convincing and looked more like Pacman than an interesting puzzle game.

I wasn't holding out any SpaceChem hope, but a man can dream!

escapeVEKTOR is quite a deceptive game from the videos, as it certainly doesn't look like it'd hold an extended amount of fun. The Pacman riff is there, certainly, but it's more than that.

In a nutshell...it's a bastard child of Pacman and Qix with the visual trappings of Rez or Groove Coaster and has you running increasingly complex geometric patterns to close off cells and open exit gateways. However, once you start throwing in things like gates, fixed path and hunter drones, turrets, boosts, detonators etc., it gets pretty complex and has you figuring out optimal pathways with some frenetic risk/reward at play. Some good modes, huge amount of content with a good difficulty curve...I personally think it's a must-have for the system. Looks terrific on that screen and controls wonderfully.

Looks are pretty deceptive with this one, but it gets my seal of approval.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
With the Bundle offering the 32 gig for basically 50 dollars more... I'd actually be ok with a 32 gig pricedrop to 60. Still letting the bundle maintain a savings, but also giving something to current Vita owners.

Bundling the Memcard system with Plus is a great idea, too. It basically would give you pack-in games, along with the memory to store them, and it'd even be a way to sell Plus itself in a bundle to current PS3 members. Add on all those potential Cross-Play games one could have on PS3 already, and it helps lower the percieved cost of the Vita more and more...

Toma

I wasn't holding out any SpaceChem hope, but a man can dream!

escapeVEKTOR is quite a deceptive game from the videos, as it certainly doesn't look like it'd hold an extended amount of fun. The Pacman riff is there, certainly, but it's more than that.

In a nutshell...it's a bastard child of Pacman and Qix with the visual trappings of Rez or Groove Coaster and has you running increasingly complex geometric patterns to close off cells and open exit gateways. However, once you start throwing in things like gates, fixed path and hunter drones, turrets, boosts, detonators etc., it gets pretty complex and has you figuring out optimal pathways with some frenetic risk/reward at play. Some good modes, huge amount of content with a good difficulty curve...I personally think it's a must-have for the system. Looks terrific on that screen and controls wonderfully.

Looks are pretty deceptive with this one, but it gets my seal of approval.

You sound different when you talk about good games, than compared to decent games. These impressions sound more convincing than the rocketbirds one ;) What was the price for EscapeVektor and what are the different modes?

gkryhewy

Every NeoGAF megathread is the same stuff over and over. How many "I love my vita, vitabros! Don't you, vitabros? Buy P4G, vitabros!" Have we had in here?

Toma

Every NeoGAF megathread is the same stuff over and over. How many "I love my vita, vitabros! Don't you, vitabros? Buy P4G, vitabros!" Have we had in here?

You dont love your Vita? Buy P4G!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

At least that stuff is positive, and not ill-informed.

It's just such... braindead rhetoric, especially if you've played MonHun V.S. some of those others. Save for sharing a Camera perspective & a hunting aspect, they gameplay is so vastly different that it seems a genuine disservice to just lump something like God Eater 2 under "MonHun Clone LOL!" And Toukiden, being an Omega Force game, AND allowing you to actually destroy enemies piece by piece, changing their attack styles and gameplay actively throught the fight? MonHun has a bit of that, but a game based around such sounds genuinely exciting (and like something I'd want to play, reqardless of platform.)

And I find it pretty cool to see Drag Crown get it's first update of the year at a Vita converence, rather than as a PS3 mention.

I guess I just dislike seeing quality products dragged through the mud for the sake of poor, repetitive jokes, and half-baked information... gotta vent it every once in a while!

That should be enough for you people! LISTEN TO THIS MAN

Ha, I dunno, Moobs...this thread is a bit of a different beast from the wonky love-ins we usually inhabit. I do love me some ugly ducklings.

You sound different when you talk about good games, than compared to decent games. These impressions sound more convincing than the rocketbirds one ;) What was the price for EscapeVektor and what are the different modes?

Rocketbirds is a great game, but I don't think it's a must-own if you're not totally sold on what a Delphine software platformer would feel like these days. I'm not a huge platformer fan, but love me some Flashback/Another World/Oddworld puzzle-platforming where the gameplay focus is far more about a measured approach than skill-based reaction and timing.

It's pretty divisive and thus I wouldn't pimp it hard in a thread such as this one. I don't like pushing a game in a non-OT thread where the chance of accommodating a game's quirks is far less tolerated.

However, escapeVektor has a greater appeal because it's mechanical sharp as a tack and is much more a known quantity given its simple parameters. Modes are normal, timed and eraser - eraser being really tricky, given you're playing the usual hectic craziness, but you can't go back over your claimed cell lines without scrubbing them.

The scoring system is pretty good, too. It has the usual bronze, silver, gold, platinum medals...but then you get badges and score modifiers for things like claiming multiple cells at once, getting two kills with a single detonation, going passive and not detonating etc.

There's also the ability to essentially bet on yourself and apply, say, a double modifier prior to doing a level - which is awesome when you start getting competitive on the leaderboards. If you fail, you lose the modifier.

Well worth the price of admittance. I'll admit a sliver of the reason I'm happy to support such an excellent game is that they're an Australian mob and I've got to support my countrymen - Australian development is a tough gig outside of iOS it seems - but regardless, this arcade puzzler is one I feel many would enjoy.

It has a slightly slow start, but once you start seeing the abilities at work and the complexity of levels increase, escapeVektor becomes something very cool indeed.

Toma

9.99USD, friend. I think there was a PS+ discount for a while there, but I still need to get back aboard that fine service.

Ah thanks. Will need to plan my PSN purchases accordingly and see whether I can fit in a 10$ purchase for it.

Moobabe

Ha, I dunno, Moobs...this thread is a bit of a different beast from the wonky love-ins we usually inhabit. I do love me some ugly ducklings.

Our wonky *only a handful of replies* love-ins are what make GAF special! The kind of threads you only see if you trawl back about 50 pages to see your OP and my reply of "WHY IS NO-ONE REPLYING!!?!"

So talk to me friend; why should I buy a Vita? I'm somewhere in between the love-fest of this thread and the, perhaps, misguided hate of the other. I share the concerns of the other thread that it seems like nothing is on the horizon...

Jamix012

Our wonky *only a handful of replies* love-ins are what make GAF special! The kind of threads you only see if you trawl back about 50 pages to see your OP and my reply of "WHY IS NO-ONE REPLYING!!?!"

So talk to me friend; why should I buy a Vita? I'm somewhere in between the love-fest of this thread and the, perhaps, misguided hate of the other. I share the concerns of the other thread that it seems like nothing is on the horizon...

Basically if you like the current line up, the console is for you. I bought one because I hadn't owned a PSP or a PS1 and I found the console to be attractive. As a result I found myself falling in love with 3 games in particular on it. Metal Gear solid 3, Persona 4 Golden and Gravity Rush. 2 of those are ports, but being able to play them on a handheld is a big + for me.
Do you feel like you'd get something out of being able to play PSP and PS1 games on a beautiful screen while also having access to a good, though perhaps fairly niche, library of games? The choice is yours.

zulux21

it really depends what you are after, stuff like dragon's crown, Ys 4, muramasa, the binding of isaac on the good are huge games for me... i'd take releases like those over uncharted, call of duty, GTA, bioshock any day.

if you are looking for big AAA titles though the vita isn't going to be that system any time soon. It seems to be cutting itself out a nice piece of the same pie the psp did with high quality niche releases, and this time getting high quality indie releases as well. If those aren't for you then there won't be anything on the horizon, if those are for you then the future looks pretty good right now.

Toma

it really depends what you are after, stuff like dragon's crown, Ys 4, muramasa, the binding of isaac on the good are huge games for me... i'd take releases like those over uncharted, call of duty, GTA, bioshock any day.

if you are looking for big AAA titles though the vita isn't going to be that system any time soon. It seems to be cutting itself out a nice piece of the same pie the psp did with high quality niche releases, and this time getting high quality indie releases as well. If those aren't for you then there won't be anything on the horizon, if those are for you then the future looks pretty good right now.

Frozen Synapse on the gooooooooooooo. God damn, I cant wait for it.

Oh God. Woke up and made the mistake of going into the Vita heaven thread. The amount of hyperbole in that thread is absurd. People taking pictures of vita's in the trash and what not.

Personally I rather like the Ice Silver Vita. I hope the US gets one.

une-vita-ice-silver-a-taiwan-ME3050111011_2.jpg

As for "under the radar" Vita games I am excited about, my vote goes to:

Lone-Survivor-PS3-PSV.jpg

Lone Survivor

I dunno. It's an investment, no doubt. If you pick one up, you've got a device with a heavy duty back catalogue that spans across a number of systems, not to mention its current crop of dedicated titles and - some titles notwithstanding - decent ports.

I cannot in good faith do more than simply say I enjoy mine as a great counter to the PC. As a bloke who doesn't game on a console any more, it fits both that bill and offers some great games in its own right.

Ran rp

Oh God. Woke up and made the mistake of going into the Vita heaven thread. The amount of hyperbole in that thread is absurd. People taking pictures of vita's in the trash and what not.

Personally I rather like the Ice Silver Vita. I hope the US gets one.

As for "under the radar" Vita games I am excited about, my vote goes to:

Lone-Survivor-PS3-PSV.jpg

Lone Survivor

... seriously? Edit: wow. I hate it when people have no sense of value when it comes to technology. $200+, fully functional machine? Throw it in the trash! I bet he promptly picked it up out of the bin after taking the dumb pic anyway.

Ran rp

It's a great game! It'll be a perfect fit for Vita.

More than meets the eye with Lone Survivor.

EDIT: Sorry, though you were referring to the choice of game! Heh heh.

Haha yeah I should have snipped the rest of the quote. I actually have Lone Survivor on Steam, I just haven't had time to play it yet. But I may wait for the Vita release.

Bordering on meta at times here, guys. Ssshhh. ;)

So the PSP exclusive GTA games sold around 12 million units between the two of them... why aren't Sony just throwing money at Rockstar right now?

I'd much prefer a Red Dead spinoff but if GTA portable can sell that much, then GTA Vita it is.

Twinduct

Bordering on meta at times here, guys. Ssshhh. ;)

So the PSP exclusive GTA games sold around 12 million units between the two of them... why aren't Sony just throwing money at Rockstar right now?

I'd much prefer a Red Dead spinoff but if GTA portable can sell that much, then GTA Vita it is.

Don't think they'll care today :p
Sony's ability to throw money to devs seems to have been pointless thus far. COD, MH, Bioshock Vita.

Besides, they'll most likely be throwing money for PS4 games now.

Oh my god please being that pack to the west.

If people can get a vita for the same price except it includes a 32gb card? Throw some plus in there and people are sold.

Think - you get a vita, the biggest card and then 4 games and another two each month

Sony is doing all wrong with Vita. They need to realize one of the Vita's biggest problems is storage. 32GB just isn't enough if you buy many games, and memory cards are too much expensive. They need either to realease a new high end model with 64-128GB of embedded memory or release bigger memory cards. I don't really care about a price drop if the storage issues are still here.

Top Bottom