• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | February 2013 | The most desirable handheld in Japan

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Thank goodness for this thread! I was going to go insane reading through the thread last night for the Vita Heaven direct feed. Thought i was the only one who thought the next few months of Vita in Japan looks awesome...

arigato

Glad to have provided some help:) Vita JPN is delivering many of the kind of games I enjoy, and feel a lack of variety with on consoles, now just have to hope they come to the US so I can fully play them! ^_^

As far as PS+... Yay, a game I already have on 360, and a game I've played before on PSP! Hehe. This happens a lot with PS+ games for me... and I couldn't care much less about Urban Trials, but glad for those who are looking forward to it. Maverick Hunter X will be worth the DL again just for the music, not to mention there's a fun game under it all.

Top of Page Suggestions: Buy Dokuro, look forward to Soul Sacrifice? And buy Gravity Rush... even if you got it for Free! ;) It deserves your actual money!
Suggestion to Sony: Lower the price on these silly Memory Cards...

I disagree. Just becasue you use to buy a lot of games, it does not mean you are willing to buy multiple 32GB cards. In fact, this is what is holding me from buying a Vita right now. You know, money doesn't grow on trees.

I still only have an 8GB card in my Vita. I just manage my game storage like i do the music on my phone.

Salaadin

Depends on your preference -- I haven't cared to play RPGs in a long long time. I played FFXIII a year or two ago and platinumed it, but I haven't even started FFXIII-2 yet... I just don't gravitate to that genre anymore. I just want to see people support a new IP based on a kickass universe and developed by what I consider to be the best developer in the game right now. I'm sure P4G is great, especially if you're a Persona fan or really into JRPGs, but if you like Metal Gear or action games at all, Rising looks to be amazing.

I think I'm most excited that Platinum handled the development on PS3 this time, so like Vanquish, it should have great performance instead of being the sub-par Bayonetta port. That was playable to me and yeah, that game had performance issues on all platforms, but I don't want to see another case like that again.

And yes, 64gb would have me bitching that my card was too full quickly... but a 128gb? That'd be perfect for me at this point.

I only speak so highly of P4G because I went in totally blind to anything that series has to offer and, by the end, I was just blown away. I havent been that into a game in so long...the kind where its literally all you play for weeks and weeks until its over...and when it is over, youre met with such a feeling of sadness.
It went from "that one RPG that gaf always raves about" to one of my favorite games of all time.

And I dont want to take away anything that PG has done for Rising. It was quite literally resurrected and turned into a great game. I love the demo and everything shown so far so my excitement is pretty high. Im always down for more Metal Gear too in any way, shape, or form.

Not if you want to believe the masses. You see the PSP was dead ... but thanks to monster hunter it became a success and now that the franchise has been money hatted away, the Vita is dead and no amount of anything will save it.

They could have announced a 10 year plan with a timeline of having 10 first party titles a month and it would have been a disappointment to the masses.

All this has turned into is a sanctioned smearfest.

I follow everything in your post except for that. What do you mean? People are trying to sabotage the Vita? You mean to say that people are just hating on it needlessly, despite the fact that it's an amazing piece of hardware and it has an awesome line up of games already? No, I dunno what gave you that idea bro.

Also I stand by my original statement about MH - it's old and archaic and I'm tired of it. I want something new in that type of monster hunting game. PSO was amazing on the Dreamcast and PC and I really hope 2 is brought to the Vita in the West, it'll be a lot of fun and it'll definitely attract people to the platform I think.

Deathmatch Village, F2P MOBA for PS3/Vita.

Beta is PS3 only, but this is certainly a surprise.

This... this is what I've been wanting on Vita. Maybe not rednecks but I've been wanting a MOBA on the Vita. So happy right now - hopefully we don't have to wait like 6-8 months for them to localize it on the American servers (despite it being in English).

zulux21

I disagree. Just becasue you use to buy a lot of games, it does not mean you are willing to buy multiple 32GB cards. In fact, this is what is holding me from buying a Vita right now. You know, money doesn't grow on trees.

In your case you may disagree but I didn't say always I said likely. In general if a person really wanted to play the games on a system something like storage issues wouldn't hold them back, overall price might, but your average gamer wouldn't skip a system just because they would have to manage their memory cards or buy multiple memory cards to play all of their games. A bigger memory card by itself would do pretty much nothing in regards to selling more vitas, thus at this time I highly doubt sony even cares about putting money into designing bigger memory cards.

Now if the price cut plus library in japan helps move vitas and sales pick up, then something like a bigger memory card would become a higher priority.

This... this is what I've been wanting on Vita. Maybe not rednecks but I've been wanting a MOBA on the Vita. So happy right now - hopefully we don't have to wait like 6-8 months for them to localize it on the American servers (despite it being in English).

Only trouble is, the dev is Bloober Team, whose last game was A-Men so errm.. we'll see how this turns out.

EDIT: I think they also handled the Alien Breed Vita port, so it's not all bad I guess.

Alien Breed Vita is the same as the PSM version but with none of that micro transaction bullshit, online/cross-play/ad-hoc co-op and all the level packs available without any need to purchase them. (You get the PS3 version, too)

It's fun as hell. Gauntlet x Aliens. Haven't tried co-op yet, though.

In your case you may disagree but I didn't say always I said likely. In general if a person really wanted to play the games on a system something like storage issues wouldn't hold them back, overall price might, but your average gamer wouldn't skip a system just because they would have to manage their memory cards or buy multiple memory cards to play all of their games. A bigger memory card by itself would do pretty much nothing in regards to selling more vitas, thus at this time I highly doubt sony even cares about putting money into designing bigger memory cards.

Now if the price cut plus library in japan helps move vitas and sales pick up, then something like a bigger memory card would become a higher priority.

Well, if we look at the mass market, apple gives you the choice to buy an Iphone with different storage capacities. I think the average consumer is aware that storage can be an issue. Now, what I was saying is that Sony should release a new model with embedded memory. A new Vita model with 64GB of embedded memory could sell very well with the right price.

Dammit I just bought Maverick Hunter X a month ago. Never played X before so I thought I would dive in before school started back up.

I guess Urban Trials looks good. I blew at the XBLA games though.

zroid

Banned
revenge of the post from a fortnight ago:

I just got off the phone with SCEA support (after being on hold for 25 minutes) and they said there is literally no way to terminate my PS+ subscription a week in advance of its expiry. So no War of the Lions for me. I even tried to ask if they would allow me to buy the game at regular price after my sub ends and then refund me the difference ($5). They said they can't because it's Square Enix's problem.

that's the last time I download a game with PS+. fuuck yoouuuuu Sony. ~_~

SmokyDave

So, I feel like Urban Trials would be incredibly fun on Vita. Worth the $8? That's a pretty solid price.
There's no way of knowing yet. Personally I'll be refreshing the store like a mofo because I'm a sucker for Trials and iOS Trials clones. The lack of analogue acceleration is going to make it interesting, to say the least.

I can't wait though. It only needs to be vaguely competent and I'll play the shit out of it.

My OCD would not let me keep track of various cards and rearranging bubbles every time I switch. The point of me doing mostly digital is so I never have to swap cards. And the memory cards are even smaller than the game cards... so eff that. I will buy a new memory card and try to sell my 32gb to recoup some of the cost once a card larger than 64mb comes out. Until then, I will be miserable trying to manage all my shit on 1 card.

revenge of the post from a fortnight ago:

I just got off the phone with SCEA support (after being on hold for 25 minutes) and they said there is literally no way to terminate my PS+ subscription a week in advance of its expiry. So no War of the Lions for me. I even tried to ask if they would allow me to buy the game at regular price after my sub ends and then refund me the difference ($5). They said they can't because it's Square Enix's problem.

that's the last time I download a game with PS+. fuuck yoouuuuu Sony. ~_~

One, if not of the only, people who is angry that Sony gave them a free game for subbing to PS+. :lol

kassatsu

Banned
Their other game never released in North America, so don't hold your breath.

zulux21

Well, if we look at the mass market, apple gives you the choice to buy an Iphone with different storage capacities. I think the average consumer is aware of storage issues. Now, what I was saying is that Sony should release a new model with embedded memory. A new Vita model with 64GB of embedded memory could sell very well with the right price.

with the right price it indeed could sell well, but something like that would likely be a $300-400 system at this time which wouldn't move any systems. As for your example with apple, last time I checked you couldn't use any storage that isn't on board which makes the whole situation not all that different. Sony gives you the choice to buy a vita with different storage capacities, it just so happens you can change your mind without having to buy a whole new system as the storage is something you can change.

I also never said they weren't aware that storage can be an issue, I said that if they really wanted to play the games on the platform that they would deal with it either by managing their data or buying multiple cards.

Don't get me wrong, I still personally think that current version of the vita shouldn't exist... given the digital push sony from the start should have had at least 16gb of room on the vita and offered the memory cards to expand that. they didn't because they wanted to keep the price down.

A new model with on board memory will come, but there is no need to rush it. Apple may be able to pull off yearly models, but sony wouldn't get away with that. I would rather they continue to have 2-3 years between models and long term support.

My OCD would not let me keep track of various cards and rearranging bubbles every time I switch. The point of me doing mostly digital is so I never have to swap cards. And the memory cards are even smaller than the game cards... so eff that. I will buy a new memory card and try to sell my 32gb to recoup some of the cost once a card larger than 64mb comes out. Until then, I will be miserable trying to manage all my shit on 1 card.

which is exactly the other part of my argument, if they didn't get multiple cards they would instead just deal with managing the card they did have :p

One, if not of the only, people who is angry that Sony gave them a free game for subbing to PS+. :lol

Yeah, the rearranging the bubbles every time you change cards is really annoying, especially if you have nearly 100 items on one card. It was tedious when I transferred my card to my newer white Vita, imagine doing it when you want to switch to your PS1 games on a different card. Stupid, Sony.

zulux21

Yeah, the rearranging the bubbles every time you change cards is really annoying, especially if you have nearly 100 items on one card. It was tedious when I transferred my card to my newer white Vita, imagine doing it when you want to switch to your PS1 games on a different card. Stupid, Sony.

hopefully it's something they address with a future firmware update. The system obviously has some on board memory, it shouldn't be impossible to do something like assign the bubbles a value and a location (aka that bubble is 10 and located at 1-7... the seventh slot on the first page) where that would take up just a few bytes per bubble, something that is way less than even the space required for a single background wallpaper.

or you know just save the data on the memory card so that it places itself properly every time you boot up the card... maybe it adds a few more seconds to loading up a card when you switch so it can move it but it would be nice :/

Shoyz

Moving wallpapers to memory card so they won't need to be reset each time (not to mention avoid compression), and moving trophy data to memory card so you won't lose them if you forget to sync! Why even use the onboard memory.

Another thing I hadn't realized is that you can't reset your Vita offline. I tried to reset so I could play some Persona 4 on my US Card only to realize that we had an internet outage, and if you don't log in to your PSN account, it completely locks out your memory card. Complete paper-weight unless I formatted the card until I got back online.

At least it's a good reason to get a second Vita when they do an eventual revision.

Shoyz

Is there a way of watching the stream again. I can't find the archives on Ustream.

You can find it on the official website rather than the ustream link, not that it's really worth watching. It's just the trailers with untranslated dialog inbetween.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
You can find it on the official website rather than the ustream link, not that it's really worth watching. It's just the trailers with untranslated dialog inbetween.

New trailers arent worth watching now?

So Dragon's Crown is like the Capcom D&D games for the Saturn, as well as Golden Axe and The King of Dragons? And on top of that it has insane artwork and four player co-op?

...I may have to put it above Soul Sacrifice and Killzone Merc for my most anticipated Vita game now.

zulux21

So Dragon's Crown is like the Capcom D&D games for the Saturn, as well as Golden Axe and The King of Dragons? And on top of that it has insane artwork and four player co-op?

...I may have to put it above Soul Sacrifice and Killzone Merc for my most anticipated Vita game now.

Really we don't know a ton about dragon's crown.
In general it's considered a 4 player odin sphere though.

First NGS+ and now MMX and Vanquish? PS+ is on a roll.

They're good games, for sure... well, NGS+ would be better if it wasn't 1/2 the intended framerate... but for free, I'm okay with it. But Vanquish and MMX? Amazing. And about time on Vanquish -- Europe PS+ got it months ago. It's one of the few games I love enough to keep my physical copy of too, but I'll love having it digitally too.

ZeroAKA

While Dragon's Crown does look interesting, I'm not a fan of the strangely proportioned character designs. The archer is the only character I can see myself playing as.

Only trouble is, the dev is Bloober Team, whose last game was A-Men so errm.. we'll see how this turns out.

EDIT: I think they also handled the Alien Breed Vita port, so it's not all bad I guess.

I've been wanting a MOBA and it'll be free to play so /shrug. I'm currently getting my fix with Guardians of Middle Earth, but that'll probably never come to the Vita so :(

Sometimes, picking a different aesthetic just to be original does more harm than good. I'd say redneck is one of those toxic styles.

Yeah at first I was like "Wait... rednecks? .... really?" So, I dunno. It could be fun, but the theme is really weird. I would rather have them done a sci fi MOBA or something :\

Their other game never released in North America, so don't hold your breath.

True, still don't understand why it takes these European devs like a year to just put games that are already in English on the American servers.

zroid

Banned
I don't know why, but the new trailer for Dragon's Crown just did absolutely nothing for me. I was really excited for this game once upon a time.

The Ni no Kuni effect of diminishing interest after long periods of waiting. But unlike Ni no Kuni, I don't know that I'm going to buy it anyway. Aside from the art, nothing that was shown in the trailer really gave me any reason to care. Even the animations looked kind of janky.

zulux21

I don't know why, but the new trailer for Dragon's Crown just did absolutely nothing for me. I was really excited for this game once upon a time.

The Ni no Kuni effect of diminishing interest after long periods of waiting. But unlike Ni no Kuni, I don't know that I'm going to buy it anyway. Aside from the art, nothing that was shown in the trailer really gave me any reason to care. Even the animations looked kind of janky.

the only reason i need to stay excited for dragon's crown is this

as odin sphere was the second game (well spirited sequel) in the crown series (princess crown was first) and dragon's crown is supposed to not only be part of the series, but also is the dream project of the guy in charge of them, thus I have high hopes for it.

zroid

Banned
Haven't played Odin Sphere yet, it's in my backlog :\

But honestly, it looks like a much more interesting game than Dragon's Crown. We'll see, though, maybe they just haven't shown their best hand yet.

zulux21

Haven't played Odin Sphere yet, it's in my backlog :\

But honestly, it looks like a much more interesting game than Dragon's Crown. We'll see, though, maybe they just haven't shown their best hand yet.

Hopefully, I think there is a lot about dragon's crown we don't know yet, hopefully when they reveal it all we will have a lot to be excited about...

im curious what features the vita version will have over the ps3 as they said it would have stuff like touch screen input exclusive to it, but in general my plan is to get it on the ps3.

So I want to get serious for a second here:

Do you guys think the Vita really is in trouble, after that random stream that didn't reveal anything big except a price cut? I mean, we've all been holding on for the ride, just patiently hoping it would be fine after a price cut and some new games but I'm starting to actually get really concerned now.

This is my favorite handheld, and one of my favorite gaming platforms of all time. I want it to be around long, and to get lots of good games. I just feel like Sony isn't money-hatting enough third parties, or they're not forcing enough of their first party devs to make projects for it.

I'm pretty sure Naughty Dog said outright that they don't want to touch the Vita, which is pretty lame considering Sony pays their bills and could make them put out a game for it - they just don't. That's the main problem Sony has, they don't or can't push their studios to support their handhelds because they're a lot more flexible than Nintendo and Microsoft are.

Sure we have Cambridge making KZ: Mercenary and a part of MM making Tearaway, but neither are dedicated Vita studios.

Honestly, they should have either set one to two studios as Vita developers, and have them only make Vita games - or at the very least have smaller teams within their bigger studios work on nothing but Vita games. There just isn't anything iconic coming out for the Vita currently, and Sony is obviously not money-hatting third parties anymore so... it's just a damned shame.

Sorry, I just got a bit upset after seeing countless posts crying for the death of the Vita. It's just rough considering how much I like the system and it's games.

Do you guys think the Vita really is in trouble

It depends on what you define as "in trouble":

- It won't catch up with 3DS on sales
- It will have at least two more years of solid first party releases
- It will have at least two more years of sparse third party releases

It won't "win" just like the PSP, Xbox360 or Gamecube didn't win their respective generations. We'll still get good games out of it nonetheless.

Do you guys think the Vita really is in trouble, after that random stream that didn't reveal anything big except a price cut? I mean, we've all been holding on for the ride, just patiently hoping it would be fine after a price cut and some new games but I'm starting to actually get really concerned now.

This is my favorite handheld, and one of my favorite gaming platforms of all time. I want it to be around long, and to get lots of good games. I just feel like Sony isn't money-hatting enough third parties, or they're not forcing enough of their first party devs to make projects for it.

I'm pretty sure Naughty Dog said outright that they don't want to touch the Vita, which is pretty lame considering Sony pays their bills and could make them put out a game for it - they just don't. That's the main problem Sony has, they don't or can't push their studios to support their handhelds because they're a lot more flexible than Nintendo and Microsoft are.

Sure we have Cambridge making KZ: Mercenary and a part of MM making Tearaway, but neither are dedicated Vita studios.

Honestly, they should have either set one to two studios as Vita developers, and have them only make Vita games - or at the very least have smaller teams within their bigger studios work on nothing but Vita games. There just isn't anything iconic coming out for the Vita currently, and Sony is obviously not money-hatting third parties anymore so... it's just a damned shame.

Sorry, I just got a bit upset after seeing countless posts crying for the death of the Vita. It's just rough considering how much I like the system and it's games.

I'd be concerned if it Werner for the fact that the stream didn't matter to the west. He'll it was ONLY in Japanese.

Yes vita is in trouble, no it's not dead. People just like to hate on things

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I don't think it should be a western studio such as Naughty Dog's responsibility to prop up the Vita. The handheld market is strongest in Japan, and SCEJ/Japan Studio are either too mismanaged, small, incompetent or dead to pick up the weight in their local market. They lost the opportunity to forge partnerships with big publishers. They can't even send out a new Patapon or LocoRoco in a timely matter. It's shameful. We're getting western indie games, got Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed, but not even an iOS port from S-E, or 3DS ports from Capcom and Konami.

There's a serious problem in Japan.

zulux21

I don't think it was in trouble after that, it's been in trouble long before that.(but it's not dying) That being said the lack of new announcements isn't a big deal... you announce them to far out you get people bitching about how they are likely cancelled (ffx dragon's crown) It's not like that stream was the last chance to announce new games for the year.

just a couple random dates that might be of interest with the vita
feb 20th: future of playstation presentation... sounds like a good time to announce new vita games as well as a ps4 to me.
feb 25-28th: destination playstation... sounds like a good time to announce new games to me
march 25-29th: GDC... again a good time to announce new games.
june 11-13th: E3... once again a good time to announce new games for the fall.

it's not like they had to drop all of their eggs in one basket. The fact is the japanese line up is actually pretty solid for the next month, that with a price cut will likely boost sales... how much has yet to be seen, but it's pretty likely that they have good march numbers in japan.

ideally soul sacrifice really makes the japanese excited, and word of mouth of how awesome that is plus how awesome the vita is increases demand, which then they could easily have a vita heaven 3 independent of any of those dates to announce new games. There is little doubt that sony will support the vita for at least 3 years, and really I don't think sony is in a hurry to take loses just to move more units. They have seen twice over with the ps3 and psp that taking their time and getting things right a few years into a products life can result in that product making a big tournaround... 2.5 years in (aka about 1.5 years from now)they very well could line up a couple big games, announce a new version that has cool features for less $150 or so, and really take off then. Until then it will just be a bumpy ride most likely.

Ran rp

Woah I didn't know that the music volume slider worked for Music Unlimited too. I was wondering why it sounded so low compared to the native music app. I wish the playback buttons also worked.

Top Bottom