• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | February 2013 | The most desirable handheld in Japan

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So the PS: Portable games really are like the classic ones? I'm really looking for a non-MH monster hunting fix, and I got kind of burned out on RO.

PSP1/2 is like PSU. PSO2 is going to be like PSO1 but with online-only requirements.

This is why I think Sega made a mistake with Phantasy Star Online. They have a franchise that can compare with MH in its depth, but by literally making it a MMORPG they are missing the MH audience. Or at least me personally, I really loved the two PS:p games, but I simply won't be able to play PS:O because it's a MMORPG.
It was never meant to take on Monster Hunter though - it was created as a free to play PC MMORPG, and has been very profitable for SEGA. They more or less said it was one of the main reasons the company managed to handle huge drop in pachinko income last fall without significant consequences. The Vita is getting a console exclusive port, and hopefully it will be equally successful.

matmanx1

Others have mentioned it before but this grip http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006WJ70SS/?tag=neogaf0e-20 is very good. If you'd like to get a better handle (literally) on your Vita then I would highly recommend it. It's light, sturdy, adjustable and like most everything else that Hori makes, it just works well. It improved my control and comfort level in Need For Speed: Most Wanted immediately so I give it a big thumbs up.

Speaking of Need for Speed, I can't seem to stop playing it. I have P4G almost untouched in my backlog as well as numerous PS1 and PSP games and yet when I sit down for a couple of minutes with the Vita I gravitate towards NFS for just one more race and one more car upgrade. And then it's an hour later! Seriously good game, though and a very good port on the Vita.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Are there any other differences between 3G and Wifi versions other than 3G and Wifi?

TheSeks

Are there any other differences between 3G and Wifi versions other than 3G and Wifi?

3G allows Near to auto-update even without wifi/using 3G and using 3G features that haven't been included in games in like... months.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Hm alright, looking forward to picking up a Vita sometime this year.
Hoping to snag a good deal with a decent sized memory card.

wilflare

Others have mentioned it before but this grip http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006WJ70SS/?tag=neogaf0e-20 is very good. If you'd like to get a better handle (literally) on your Vita then I would highly recommend it. It's light, sturdy, adjustable and like most everything else that Hori makes, it just works well. It improved my control and comfort level in Need For Speed: Most Wanted immediately so I give it a big thumbs up.

Speaking of Need for Speed, I can't seem to stop playing it. I have P4G almost untouched in my backlog as well as numerous PS1 and PSP games and yet when I sit down for a couple of minutes with the Vita I gravitate towards NFS for just one more race and one more car upgrade. And then it's an hour later! Seriously good game, though and a very good port on the Vita.

I have the PDP trigger grips. haven't been using it much :/
does the Hori grip cause issues with the screen protector?

TheSeks

Near continues to be the second dumbest (rear touch being the first) dumbest thing about the Vita at this point.

Near wouldn't be bad if there was people using it in your area.

PSP2 has no owners.

Or allowed you to use it through your PSN friends list. Can't blackmarket trade locally since no one is playing Uncharted which means I can't power up my Fetishes (which are blackmarket only) and since Near won't let me and a few other GAF people trade through the backmarket over the internet, I can't ever get those.

GG, Sony/Bend/whoever did Uncarded/and Near.

ZeroAKA

Near wouldn't be bad if there was people using it in your area.

PSP2 has no owners.

Or allowed you to use it through your PSN friends list. Can't blackmarket trade locally since no one is playing Uncharted which means I can't power up my Fetishes (which are blackmarket only) and since Near won't let me and a few other GAF people trade through the backmarket over the internet, I can't ever get those.

GG, Sony/Bend/whoever did Uncarded/and Near.
Near does let you get Game Goods from your PSN friends who aren't near your location. I'm not sure if it works the same way in Uncharted, but I've gotten many Near goods in Ragnarok Odyssey and Treasure Park.

vivftp

I haven't used the Hori grip, but did use the trigger grips. I found the triggers themselves to be unusable for the most part. My hands are a bit too big to hold the Vita itself comfortably, and the trigger grips didn't help me there, I always started to get hand cramps after about 30-45 mins of use.

I then found the Nyko power grip and never looked back. Using it, my hands are in the perfect position to hold the Vita and of course it doubles the battery life so I find it to be essential for my use of the Vita.

leroidys

Patapon 3 is coming to vita tomorrow! I'm so damn happy. Now I just need:

Gradius collection
Metal Gear Ac!d 1/2
Mega Man Powered Up
Valkyrie Profile Lenneth
Portable Ops

Near does let you get Game Goods from your PSN friends who aren't near your location. I'm not sure if it works the same way in Uncharted, but I've gotten many Near goods in Ragnarok Odyssey and Treasure Park.

Yeah I pretty much *only* get stuff from people on my friends list. No one in my area ever posts anything.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Near and Wake-Up Club both make me feel like I'm in an Orwellian gated community. I don't know how many times I've pushed that button to learn what people are playing locally to see that it's coincidentally the last few games I was playing (because it's broken by design to overcount?). Then I get to wake up with the nagging feeling that there is no club and it's connecting to absolutely nothing; but all is good because I'm always first unless I completely blow the alarm. yay me

Fusebox

Banned
Not available in the west

They are $40 on ebay for the imported Japanese grips, they look awesome wish they were at least reasonably priced since I'd probably buy them at $5-$10 but not for the ridiculous mark up they are right now for an ounce or so of molded plastic

Seems a bit exy considering the Nyko is $25 at Amazon and comes with an internal battery.

Redhood

Near and Wake-Up Club both make me feel like I'm in an Orwellian gated community. I don't know how many times I've pushed that button to learn what people are playing locally to see that it's coincidentally the last few games I was playing (because it's broken by design to overcount?)

This so much! It adds your previous near updates also to the current count. So If u are alone in your area. It will show 10 people playing nearby. This so happens to me.

Bleh gonna have to buy a 32GB card. Wish there was still a special where you atleast get a game or something with :/

Every once in awhile, they have these things called sales. Sometimes The $100 retail card is on sale for $60. That's like a $40 game, man! ;)

Edit:
Wasn't the UK/EU supposed to get memory cards with game vouchers?

Twinduct

Every once in awhile, they have these things called sales. Sometimes The $100 retail card is on sale for $60. That's like a $40 game, man! ;)

Not here :/
Lowest I've found it, on sale, was R1020 .. which is about $115 :/

Importing aint an option either, bought a 16GB via Amazon.co.uk and it ended up more expensive due to import taxes.

leroidys

I think Gradius collection is at least transferable via PS3.
Yes, it is.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316058

Oh wow, thank you!

Bleh gonna have to buy a 32GB card. Wish there was still a special where you atleast get a game or something with :/

I've definitely completely outgrown my 8 gb card. Aside from price, I'm hesitating buying a 32gb card because what I would really like is a 64gb one, and I'm sure they will release these sooner rather than later.

I've definitely completely outgrown my 8 gb card. Aside from price, I'm hesitating buying a 32gb card because what I would really like is a 64gb one, and I'm sure they will release these sooner rather than later.
I'm concerned that Sony might consider those of us who are looking to move past 32 GB as outliers, and not make larger cards a priority. Same with folders. With Sony, you just never know. For such a good hardware company, they can be damn stupid when it comes to usability and customer needs.

opinion needed!

new little kings story
ragnarok odyssey
assassins creed liberation
earth defense 2017

leaning towards LKS but not sure which to toss my $40 at..

Munin

Does anyone know why I can never actually download anything from the store via the Vita itself? Basically as soon as I click the orange "Download" button the whole page freezes, then after a few minutes I get the error "NP-8016-5".

The store is also insanely slow on my device, even though my Wifi otherwise works fine and fast as it should e.g. in the browser.

Takao

Banned
I don't think it should be a western studio such as Naughty Dog's responsibility to prop up the Vita. The handheld market is strongest in Japan, and SCEJ/Japan Studio are either too mismanaged, small, incompetent or dead to pick up the weight in their local market. They lost the opportunity to forge partnerships with big publishers. They can't even send out a new Patapon or LocoRoco in a timely matter. It's shameful. We're getting western indie games, got Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed, but not even an iOS port from S-E, or 3DS ports from Capcom and Konami.

There's a serious problem in Japan.

There has been three Patapon games in five years. Chill, lol. As for LocoRoco, I fear that IP is dead. The first game received a big push from SCEJ, and was meant to be their mascot for the PSP. Here are the Japanese sales figures for those two franchises:

Patapon: 67,932 PSP the Best: 31,056
Patapon 2: 106,823 PSP the Best: 24,016
Patapon 3: 157,644

LocoRoco: 154,816
LocoRoco 2: 33,183

LocoRoco 2's stellar performance is likely why Midnight Carnival went DD-only globally. A shame too, since it's a much better game than the first.

Neither were big sellers in Japan, and given Vita's user base it would probably be pointless to release them right now. The games would struggle to sell much more than 100k worldwide, and both series would be dead forever.

Again, I will point out here, none of these games save for 2 are exclusive for Vita, so why are we expecting these announcements to be system seller?

- Price cut & new colors - Great! The price cut only came ~4 months late, but better late than never.

You should look at what Vita had for release during Fall 2012 versus Spring 2013. Doing a price cut "4 months" prior would've wasted the effect due to the fact there was literally nothing coming out for the device in Japan.

- Final Fantasy X - Will sell much better on the PS3.

I don't believe Square Enix spoke about the PS3 version yesterday. If Sony is smart they'll force Square to make it Vita timed exclusive. Give it a nice bundle with some silk screening, and it will sell well. It's a franchise that has a good history for re-releases of quality titles selling well.

You should look at what Vita had for release during Fall 2012 versus Spring 2013. Doing a price cut "4 months" prior would've wasted the effect due to the fact there was literally nothing coming out for the device in Japan.

Yep the timing for price cut in Japan is perfect

DiscoJer

There has been three Patapon games in five years. Chill, lol. As for LocoRoco, I fear that IP is dead. The first game received a big push from SCEJ, and was meant to be their mascot for the PSP. Here are the Japanese sales figures for those two franchises:

Patapon: 67,932 PSP the Best: 31,056
Patapon 2: 106,823 PSP the Best: 24,016
Patapon 3: 157,644

LocoRoco: 154,816
LocoRoco 2: 33,183

LocoRoco 2's stellar performance is likely why Midnight Carnival went DD-only globally. A shame too, since it's a much better game than the first.

Neither were big sellers in Japan, and given Vita's user base it would probably be pointless to release them right now. The games would struggle to sell much more than 100k worldwide, and both series would be dead forever.

Gravity Rush is the new Loco Roco/Patapon, IMHO. A game that seems to be loved by people online, pushed a lot by Sony but not a big factor saleswise.

Top Bottom