• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | February 2013 | The most desirable handheld in Japan

So, the Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus Official Thread will be going up tomorrow.

Any last minute suggestions for a tagline?
I'm still thinking of going for "More Blood, Less Frames" but if anyone has an idea that they want me to consider, speak up!
Blue = Vita Red = Blood Purple = Dead

The health potions are blue in NG and it's also Vita's colour was my thinking. Plus Blue + Red = Purple

So, why is no one mentioning how AMAZING that Soul Sacrifice trailer was?

http://youtu.be/5oMNu_8HonM

Honestly it looks just amazing. What worries me is that there's zero marketing for the game so far, and I assume since Sony is transitioning to their new marketing firm it'll probably be sent out to die. It could be a killer app for the Vita :\ Also, someone mentioned before that the environments are just one big arena but those environments look pretty awesome/huge..

Edit: Also I'm knee deep in NG Sigma+, what was that display correction you guys were making?

Honestly it looks just amazing. What worries me is that there's zero marketing for the game so far, and I assume since Sony is transitioning to their new marketing firm it'll probably be sent out to die. It could be a killer app for the Vita :\ Also, someone mentioned before that the environments are just one big arena but those environments look pretty awesome/huge..

Edit: Also I'm knee deep in NG Sigma+, what was that display correction you guys were making?

For me I just find the art style to be a complete turnoff. I simply don't want to spend time in that world. It looks dark, dreary, and utterly uninspired. More power to those who like it though. :)

Shoyz

For me I just find the art style to be a complete turnoff. I simply don't want to spend time in that world. It looks dark, dreary, and utterly uninspired. More power to those who like it though. :)

How about the pet-like way your character strokes the monster book's eyeball to open it?

zroid

Banned

I don't think "uninspired" is the word for it, but it's definitely not my favourite art style... :(

I still have the game pre-ordered and will probably pick it up, but I'm not sure if I will enjoy it all that much.

ZeroAKA

That video looks better graphically than I remembered from my experiences with the Japanese demo. I wonder if Marvelous/SCEJ polished up the graphics.

Well I'm personally a fan of dark, gritty, grimy and or post apocalyptic things so I guess my opinion isn't as valid :p Don't get me wrong, I can enjoy high fantasy or cutesy stuff (like DJMAX) but my bread and butter is dark stuff. This game looks like it has buckets of blood and gore so I'm right on board. I think the violence will probably hold this game back from being as widely appealing as MH is.

Still, I stand by my statement that MH is archaic and people should stop putting so much stock into the franchise.

kiyomi

I would, but everytime my Near says it picked one up, I cant actually find it in Treasure Park :(
The direct message thing still works though, will do that then :)

Edit: Done and won!;) Will send you one in return. Want an easy or hard one? ;p
Easy, of course! (I know this is ~12h ago but hey.)

I'm trying to get at least A rank. Yesterday I went up to B and back down to C thanks to one of RpgN's devilish sheets!

kiyomi

Well I'm personally a fan of dark, gritty, grimy and or post apocalyptic things so I guess my opinion isn't as valid :p Don't get me wrong, I can enjoy high fantasy or cutesy stuff (like DJMAX) but my bread and butter is dark stuff. This game looks like it has buckets of blood and gore so I'm right on board. I think the violence will probably hold this game back from being as widely appealing as MH is.

Still, I stand by my statement that MH is archaic and people should stop putting so much stock into the franchise.
Don't mean this in an offensive way at all but I couldn't help but find a slither of irony in the way you call MH archaic, yet violence with blood and gore is okay with you, even attractive, in a game. A little archaic? :p

Kinda reminded me of something else, I'll ask you about it soon.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I was expecting something more like a horror fantasy version of Demon's Souls when I saw the original concept art. I think it's hard to strike a tone like those concepts when you make a co-op action game but then I never played the demo so maybe it's more dark than it looks in the footage. To be fair there isn't a game in existence that can live up to those concepts (not only the images but also the idea of sacrifice)

Facebook works pretty good, but no WhatsApp. The browser isn't as good as I hoped it would be. It's ok but a far cry from browsing on an iPad

I guess I should have been more specific. I just need Facebook, YouTube, Skpye, WhatsApp, and a good browser. Doing research on the net the Vita browser is considerably worse than mobile safari and chrome.

I just want a dedicated gaming handheld that I could also use to surf the web on wifi connections and chat via WhatsApp or Skype.

Fusebox

Banned
I just want a dedicated gaming handheld that I could also use to surf the web on wifi connections and chat via WhatsApp or Skype.

But then it wouldn't be a dedicated gaming handheld.

Vita makes for a woeful tablet btw, I really recommend against trying to use it as one.

brentech

Amazing to see the fallout of an event that seemingly got propped up overnight. People get way too damn hype for massive game changers at the weirdest of times.

This thread is betting unbearable.

This... this is what I've been wanting on Vita. Maybe not rednecks but I've been wanting a MOBA on the Vita. So happy right now - hopefully we don't have to wait like 6-8 months for them to localize it on the American servers (despite it being in English).
The new multiplayer in the new Ratchet & Clank game is pretty MOBA-ish. You have to buy base defenses and creeps, and there's a resource gathering phase before you can assault the enemy base, but over all it's pretty MOBA.

Honestly, they should have either set one to two studios as Vita developers, and have them only make Vita games - or at the very least have smaller teams within their bigger studios work on nothing but Vita games.
Sony Bend has been handheld exclusive for nearly a decade. And the Cambridge team has been working on Killzone since before the Vita launched, and they previously did LittleBigPlanet PSP. I wouldn't be surprised if they start on a Vita game based on the new IP Guerrilla is supposed to have in the works after Mercenary, though it will likely be years before that game will be out.

The new multiplayer in the new Ratchet & Clank game is pretty MOBA-ish. You have to buy base defenses and creeps, and there's a resource gathering phase before you can assault the enemy base, but over all it's pretty MOBA.

Sony Bend has been handheld exclusive for nearly a decade. And the Cambridge team has been working on Killzone since before the Vita launched, and they previously did LittleBigPlanet PSP. I wouldn't be surprised if they start on a Vita game based on the new IP Guerrilla is supposed to have in the works after Mercenary, though it will likely be years before that game will be out.

Didn't R&C Vita get delayed again?

And from what I've played, LBP PSP kind of sucked... I wouldn't have thought it was Bend after playing Uncharted:GA.

RoKKeR

I'm going to buy a $50 PSN card. Vitabros, fill my budget for me.

Hot Shots - $35
Kyntt Underground - $9
MGS3 - $20
Rayman Origins - $27
Sine Mora - $10
Sly Cooper - $27
Sonic Racing - $30
Resistance: Burning Skies - $25

Massa

I guess I should have been more specific. I just need Facebook, YouTube, Skpye, WhatsApp, and a good browser. Doing research on the net the Vita browser is considerably worse than mobile safari and chrome.

The original Vita browser was crap, the updated version is significantly better. I actually use my Vita a lot for simple web browsing and twitter, it works fine.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Gamma: 1.1
Brightness: 0.0
Contrast: 1.1

Speaking of which, beat the Dyno rebattle on Saturday evening. Need to go grind essence to get the potions back before I go into the base. Even with button controls the bow controls are AWFUL since you can't turn the six-axis off to where it fucks with your aiming and if you twitch slightly while firing the bow you're fucked. D:

Velocity fans heads up.

Dear neogaffers - it's all very well having stats but how do we analyse those stats? I have a proposal. If you press the triangle button on the stats screen I'll run a simple maths formula on all the stats and print up a message - e.g. "ricen beans salutes you!" - where the name is chosen based on the formula. Who wants their neogaf name to be in the game? Or your real name if you prefer. Post a reply here and I'll add you to the array. James likes the idea and it's no problem to code it in.

Cheers,

Robin Jubber, Futurlab, Feb 2013

Post in here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=507883&page=4

Reposting this for afternoon Vita-gaf. Get ur names in the game!

Speaking of which, beat the Dyno rebattle on Saturday evening. Need to go grind essence to get the potions back before I go into the base. Even with button controls the bow controls are AWFUL since you can't turn the six-axis off to where it fucks with your aiming and if you twitch slightly while firing the bow you're fucked. D:

100% truth.

I guess I did hold really still the first couple of times I used the bow after I turned off the "feature" for touch.

Achtius

Hot Shots - $35
Kyntt Underground - $9
MGS3 - $20
Rayman Origins - $27
Sine Mora - $10
Sly Cooper - $27
Sonic Racing - $30

Not sure where you live but, it's selling at 9.99$ in Canada. Even at that price and being a big resistance fan myself, I am not touching nihilistic games.

Massa

Hot Shots - $35
Kyntt Underground - $9
MGS3 - $20
Rayman Origins - $27
Sine Mora - $10
Sly Cooper - $27
Sonic Racing - $30

Hot Shots Golf price is a mistake. First they dropped it from $35.99 to $17.99 on November 27.

Then on December 24 it went on sale ($12.49 for regular users, $8.74 for Plus) for a week... but after that week was up they returned it to the old price of $35.99 instead of $17.99.

Anyway, on your list I would definitely recommend Hot Shots, MGS3 and Rayman. All great games.

Not sure where you live but, it's selling at 9.99$ in Canada. Even at that price and being a big resistance fan myself, I am not touching nihilistic games.

For that price it's definitely worth playing. Controls better than most shooters (regardless of platform), it's just the level design and production values that don't really live up to modern standards. But for 10 bucks it's worth a try.

Fusebox

Banned

Hot Shots - $35
Kyntt Underground - $9
MGS3 - $20
Rayman Origins - $27
Sine Mora - $10
Sly Cooper - $27
Sonic Racing - $30

Sine Mora.

Sine Mora?

Sine Mora!!

Didn't R&C Vita get delayed again?

And from what I've played, LBP PSP kind of sucked... I wouldn't have thought it was Bend after playing Uncharted:GA.
Yeah, the the R&C game got delayed, but unless the development has completely derailed it should be out before Deathmatch Village, so it will be the Vita's first taste of MOBA.

And I didn't say Bend did LBP PSP - Cambridge did. And I wouldn't know anything about the game, other than that that Spiderbait song was pretty good.

Oh, and I don't remember if it has been posted here, but the PS Blog has another of those Evolution of PlayStation videos covering the PSP and Vita (at the bottom). It's pretty neat.

Hot Shots - $35
Kyntt Underground - $9
MGS3 - $20
Rayman Origins - $27
Sine Mora - $10
Sly Cooper - $27
Sonic Racing - $30

For $3 more you can have both Vita and PS3 versions of the game...

Dang it, why isn't Metal Slug Anthology on the EU store!? D:

Any opinions on the PSP version of Metal Slug XX? I'm just craving some Metal Slug right now.

RoKKeR

So Hot Shots price is messed up, I'll wait on that. I'll but on Sine Mora so that leaves me with $40. Rayman, MGS3, and Sonic are what I go to next. Thoughts on these three?

VanWinkle

People who enjoy the genre should be excited about Trials. It's very good.

Great to hear!

Looks cool. Nice to see some more non-dark and dreary environments. I may have to get this when it comes out.

I concur on SS looking quite amazing...

maybe its because I've never gotten into MH before...but tbh, Toukiden, God Eater 2, and SS all looked REALLY fun to me...Similar style to MH, but not inferior in the least. Dunno why the hate against what potentially looks like awesome titles...

cyborg009

Banned

I think I did but it varies. For example we saw the front of the town of the Cerberus boss and the insides with Cerberus himself. Same thing with the harpy.

Lots of replies lol, sorry guys :S

Don't mean this in an offensive way at all but I couldn't help but find a slither of irony in the way you call MH archaic, yet violence with blood and gore is okay with you, even attractive, in a game. A little archaic? :p

Kinda reminded me of something else, I'll ask you about it soon.

Well I think it's moreso the combat in MH, it hasn't really been touched in how many games? On top of that the animations are pretty much the same right? All they need to do is make new and or slightly modified armor and weapon sets and voila, a new MH game. They basically recycle enemies over and over as well. I'm just tired of it as a franchise.

The new multiplayer in the new Ratchet & Clank game is pretty MOBA-ish.

Sony Bend has been handheld exclusive for nearly a decade. And the Cambridge team has been working on Killzone since before the Vita launched, and they previously did LittleBigPlanet PSP.

True I heard it was MOBA like, although it's still a shooter right? Hmmm, I dunno @_@ Also I didn't realize Bend was making portable games for that long, hopefully whatever they're cooking up is awesome. Sony should have put them to finishing Warrior's Lair, not Sony San Diego.

Wow this is WAY better, you guys are right. It just looked washed out before. Also yes the bow controls are god awful, I was screaming at my Vita earlier because I kept missing those assholes on platforms that you can't get to, and yet they keep repeatedly firing DIRECTLY AT YOU NO MATTER WHAT.

Then on December 24 it went on sale ($12.49 for regular users, $8.74 for Plus) for a week... but after that week was up they returned it to the old price of $35.99 instead of $17.99.

Yeah I got it for that price - SO happy that I did. Amazing game, and my first HSG game actually (don't hate me guys)

Great to hear!

Looks cool. Nice to see some more non-dark and dreary environments. I may have to get this when it comes out.

Yeah I think it looks great, shows us even more variety. So excited, it looks so fresh in both style and gameplay compared to MH.

I concur on SS looking quite amazing...

maybe its because I've never gotten into MH before...but tbh, Toukiden, God Eater 2, and SS all looked REALLY fun to me...Similar style to MH, but not inferior in the least. Dunno why the hate against what potentially looks like awesome titles...

I think it's the thought that nothing can compare to MH because MH essentially pioneered the genre. People just don't want to let it go, people don't want iteration especially when it jumped to another platform (for now) and they're generally using it as an example of the Vita's troubles.

Case in point - the backlash against PSABR, it was always getting hate and there were so many people who just wanted the game to crash and burn, just for the sake of watching it burn. They just don't want it to exist, and lots of MH fans just don't want these other games to exist.

Honestly the franchise is old and decrepit as far as I'm concerned, they can have their rehashed MH, I'll be much happier with SS, God Eater 2, and hopefully PSO2 if it gets localized on Vita.

I think I did but it varies. For example we saw the front of the town of the Cerberus boss and the insides with Cerberus himself. Same thing with the harpy.

If this means the levels will be shorter and more bite sized that could be fun, meaning it's more approachable as a portable game. Still, I wonder how this bodes for the story? Really wondering how it plays out.

DiscoJer

I think it's the thought that nothing can compare to MH because MH essentially pioneered the genre. People just don't want to let it go, people don't want iteration especially when it jumped to another platform (for now) and they're generally using it as an example of the Vita's troubles.

No, a closer situation would be World of Warcraft. Every so often a new game comes along and tries to out WoW WoW, but it really can't.

Why? Because Monster Hunter builds on its past games. It's always going to have much more content than any competitor starting from scratch.

That's really the thing with MH, in many ways, it's like a MMORPG. It's a huge time sink. Its competitors largely miss this and so people play them and "beat" them in a month or two. While the MH player keeps playing MH.

This is why I think Sega made a mistake with Phantasy Star Online. They have a franchise that can compare with MH in its depth, but by literally making it a MMORPG they are missing the MH audience. Or at least me personally, I really loved the two PS:p games, but I simply won't be able to play PS:O because it's a MMORPG.

So the PS: Portable games really are like the classic ones? I'm really looking for a non-MH monster hunting fix, and I got kind of burned out on RO.

Top Bottom