• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | February 2013 | The most desirable handheld in Japan

Takao

Banned
Gravity Rush is the new Loco Roco/Patapon, IMHO. A game that seems to be loved by people online, pushed a lot by Sony but not a big factor saleswise.

Well, despite Vita's horrible sales Gravity Rush has outsold the first Patapon, and potentially the second in Japan.

anddo0

opinion needed!

new little kings story
ragnarok odyssey
assassins creed liberation
earth defense 2017

leaning towards LKS but not sure which to toss my $40 at..

NLKS: I don't own it. But it's seems to be a good game with some framerate issues.

Ragnarok Odyssey: Own it; don't judge it off the demo. The game doesn't open up until chapter 3. It feels very much like MH.

Assassins Creed Liberation: I liked this more than AC3. It's Assassins, love/hate.

Earth Defense 2017: It's just a joy to play.. LOOT! A ton of weapons, which all impact the game differently...Kill tons of aliens.. Control mechs, tanks, speeder bike etc..

I'd go with EDF, despite it being slightly overpriced.

Munin

Does anyone know why I can never actually download anything from the store via the Vita itself? Basically as soon as I click the orange "Download" button the whole page freezes, then after a few minutes I get the error "NP-8016-5".

The store is also insanely slow on my device, even though my Wifi otherwise works fine and fast as it should e.g. in the browser.

Posting for new page :(

Massa

Does anyone know why I can never actually download anything from the store via the Vita itself? Basically as soon as I click the orange "Download" button the whole page freezes, then after a few minutes I get the error "NP-8016-5".

The store is also insanely slow on my device, even though my Wifi otherwise works fine and fast as it should e.g. in the browser.

Are you connecting your Vita to a standard WiFi router? Have you done any configuration on that router regarding opening ports, or setting up the Vita to be on a DMZ?

Also, if you have the means to try taking the Vita to a friend's and testing it on their WiFi network.

DiscoJer

Posting for new page :(

Do you have a 3G model? I have one and I wonder if somehow it's caused the Wi-Fi inside to be atrocious. Because I have problems with that a lot as well, even though the Vita is in the same room as my desktop and laptop, both with Wi-Fi adapters that work just fine. So I know it's not the signal.

One thing that seems to help somewhat is going into Settings, the Network, then Wi-Fi settings, then turn on "Disconnect Wi-Fi Automatically"

Don't ask me why that helps, but when I started getting those errors, I looked it up in a search and someone on Gamefaqs said to try it. And it worked.

Shikoro

Try setting your settings to default. By that I don't mean formatting, just resetting your system settings.

On another note, I finally got the EG platinum. It was my first golf game, really fun and challenging with maybe a bit too much content. XD
ebgphoto6esnp.jpg

NLKS: I don't own it. But it's seems to be a good game with some framerate issues.

Ragnarok Odyssey: Own it; don't judge it off the demo. The game doesn't open up until chapter 3. It feels very much like MH.

Assassins Creed Liberation: I liked this more than AC3. It's Assassins, love/hate.

Earth Defense 2017: It's just a joy to play.. LOOT! A ton of weapons, which all impact the game differently...Kill tons of aliens.. Control mechs, tanks, speeder bike etc..

I'd go with EDF, despite it being slightly overpriced.

Yeah EDF is great fun. Just a shame I never see many people online because its really fun co op. Its great fun single player as well but co op is just that bit more fun and crazy.

Im tempted by RO myself. I wouldnt say it feels anything like MH though. More like a cross between God Eater and PSO, both of which I loved (while I really dont like MH). But i have only played the demo.

Assassins creed liberation is an OK game. Its story is a mess and it has some pretty bad frame rate issues and bugs. However it does feel very much like assassins creed (complete with frame rate issues and bugs lol).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Thanks. You should also try the NGS+ one. :D

You can't new game + with your upgraded weapons, so really: fuck that. I'm not doing Master Ninja rank on Master Ninja, that's too much of a headache along with the six-axis fucking with the bow controls.

kiyomi

Is it normal for my Vita to ask the time and date every time it stays powered off for a few hours?

Nope. I have mine set by internet and it never asks the time except when I'm moving memory cards around, where you're undergoing the initial setup process.

opinion needed!

new little kings story
ragnarok odyssey
earth defense 2017

If you're ok with dropping down 40$ for a game, I'd say it's between NLKS and RO, but those are the only two I've played. Out of those two, I liked NLKS more - it's a wonderful sim/action RPG/RTS that's held back by a frame rate that dips when there's a lot going on screen. If you're ok with that, it's a really great game and lots of us here went and got the platinum trophy for it too - we liked it that much. RO is a lot of fun but people tend to either like it or hate it, so.

Sei Madou Monogatari trailer is up.
So it is more like Mystery Dungeon type of dungeon crawler, hmm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87dUiQd08Zs

This looks pretty awesome actually - I hope at least one of these dungeon crawler Vita games comes to the West.

Do you have a 3G model? I have one and I wonder if somehow it's caused the Wi-Fi inside to be atrocious. Because I have problems with that a lot as well, even though the Vita is in the same room as my desktop and laptop, both with Wi-Fi adapters that work just fine. So I know it's not the signal.

One thing that seems to help somewhat is going into Settings, the Network, then Wi-Fi settings, then turn on "Disconnect Wi-Fi Automatically"

Don't ask me why that helps, but when I started getting those errors, I looked it up in a search and someone on Gamefaqs said to try it. And it worked.

Yeah I have a 3G model and I've never had that problem. Definitely something that shouldn't be happening though! The new PS3 store is atrocious so I'm glad the Vita store is the same old store, much easier to navigate.

kiyomi

Well I think it's moreso the combat in MH, it hasn't really been touched in how many games? On top of that the animations are pretty much the same right? All they need to do is make new and or slightly modified armor and weapon sets and voila, a new MH game. They basically recycle enemies over and over as well. I'm just tired of it as a franchise.

Was just messing with ya on the whole violence/archaic thing! I guessed you meant in regards to the combat and being locked into animations and soforth, although that doesn't sound exactly like your complaint, more the rehashing of ideas, right? I've only played a little bit of MH:FU, maybe an hour or two, but I didn't really get hooked into it, and I can't speak about how different iterations of the franchise have progressed. Playing offline seems like a really watered down experience, and I'm not even sure if, being in the EU, I can do the whole ad-hoc PS3 thing. I'm much more excited for something fresh, judging by the demo, SS looks a lot more appealing to me.

What I meant to ask yesterday but didn't have the time for - are you still interested in some Ragnarok co-ops? The best online experience I had of it was with yourself and Grim so it'd be fun (for me at least, dunno about you guys hah) if we could do that again since I think we're all at roughly the same point. None of us are overpowered at least, I don't think - which was my main point of contention when playing online, someone would always make it waaay too easy.

AwRy108

opinion needed!

new little kings story
ragnarok odyssey
earth defense 2017

Ragnarok is mediocre unless you plan on spending most of your playtime online with other people; otherwise, wait for a retail copy to hit $20 or less.

AC Liberation is decent, but, again, wait for a retail copy to drop in price.

NLKS is quite good, as long as you can overlook the chugging framerate (never hampers gameplay). No retail version of this in the US, and importing will cost you more than $40. Also, keep in mind that the game is very similar to the Wii version, but the Wii version is significantly cheaper.

EDF is decent, but $40 is way too steep of a price--it's not hard to find the PS3/360 version of this for less than $15, so keep that in mind as you consider paying the "digital only, Vita game" tax.

IMHO, I'd spread your $40 over PSN content, especially considering the huge Square-Enix sale that's currently going on. Also, Valkyria Chronicles II is currently $20, and it's a much better game than any of the four you asked about.

ZeroAKA

Seems like a good sign. Hopefully Soul Sacrifice sells enough so that it becomes a new franchise for Sony.

IMHO, I'd spread your $40 over PSN content, especially considering the huge Square-Enix sale that's currently going on. Also, Valkyria Chronicles II is currently $20, and it's a much better game than any of the four you asked about.
It's actually $10 right now, even more reason to buy it. :p

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...es-2/cid=UP0177-ULUS10515_00-VALKYRIA1937PSP1

opinion needed!

new little kings story
ragnarok odyssey
earth defense 2017

you're leaning the right way :) . nlks is the sleeper gem on the vita - was surprised by just how much fun i had with it (& wish i could own a hard copy)...

among the others, i enjoyed assassin's creed, ragnarok odyssey still hasn't clicked for me, & earth defense force will be bought at $20...

jwk94

you're leaning the right way :) . nlks is the sleeper gem on the vita - was surprised by just how much fun i had with it (& wish i could own a hard copy)...

among the others, i enjoyed assassin's creed, ragnarok odyssey still hasn't clicked for me, & earth defense force will be bought at $20...

I want NLKS so bad but I just can't justify the $40 price tag.

garath

Seems like a good sign. Hopefully Soul Sacrifice sells enough so that it becomes a new franchise for Sony.

It's actually $10 right now, even more reason to buy it. :p

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...es-2/cid=UP0177-ULUS10515_00-VALKYRIA1937PSP1

Oh god. Why did I read this. I loved the first Valkyria chronicles on ps3. I just never got around to buying it on the PSP. I'm still playing through FF6-9 dammit lol.

I want NLKS so bad but I just can't justify the $40 price tag.

That's my problem too. I'm primarily a PC gamer and I don't like paying more than $20 just to add to backlog :p

I don't believe Square Enix spoke about the PS3 version yesterday. If Sony is smart they'll force Square to make it Vita timed exclusive. Give it a nice bundle with some silk screening, and it will sell well. It's a franchise that has a good history for re-releases of quality titles selling well.

LOL.

Now I've heard everything. ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

If i wanted to play sales instead of games i'd have bought 3DS ;)

Niiice. *vita-bro-fist!*

Twinduct

1 out of 5?
Think it includes the amount of people making JPN accounts? or did I miss the international release of the demo already?

kiyomi

Was just about to post this.

YEEEEESSSSSS. I've been waiting for ages for this! (funny how it'll probably come before the promised Mac port, too)

Those neon colours are gonna look great on dat OLED.

Yeah ; I actually bought it on Mac and haven't been able to play it! Kind of a shame, but hey. If the game is as good as everyone seems to think it is then I'll really look forward to it. Along with Frozen Synapse, my Vita is trying to make my Steam account redundant. :p

Fuck yes.

God vita really is becoming a portable PC for indie games

yeah, I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I've predicted this since the NGP reveal when people said western support for handheld console is minimal, the big publishers may not publish a lot of original games rather than some cheap ports, but I always thought indie studio is rising quickly in the western market and they will give plenty of support for vita.

of course I never predicted vita hardware sales to be struggling this much, but it's good to see indie still care enough for the platform to make games on it.

1 out of 5?
Think it includes the amount of people making JPN accounts? or did I miss the international release of the demo already?

I assume it means 250k downloads vs Japanise userbase of 1250k.

And the number of downloads from outside Japan is probably really small considering how much effort it takes (and second card)

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
does Tearawa 64 has a release date?

Gravity Rush is the new Loco Roco/Patapon, IMHO. A game that seems to be loved by people online, pushed a lot by Sony but not a big factor saleswise.

At least Toyama is still working for SCEJ, unlike the creator of LocoRoco and Pyramid.

So Hotline Miami is coming to Vita. Pretty awesome news ; it's nice to see some of these indie successes come to the system. Cross-buy, too.

Better news than anything "games related" that was in Vita Hell 2.0.

Ramune

I've got a Vita question and this seems like the most reasonable thread to ask. I have a North American Vita. When Phantasy Star Online 2 officially launches later this month, what do I need to do to my Vita to get a Japanese account on it? I found some tutorials, but they were all from early last year and there have been several firmware updates since then, so I am not sure if they are still valid.

One of two things first.
1) Make sure you have a decent sized Memory Card if your going to download the game.
or
2) Get the special package version since that comes on a card so you can (hopefully) survive on as small as a 4GB if that's all your playing (like me).

Then you have to
3) Sign up for a JP Sega ID.
&
4) JP PSN account

To fully answer your question, do you have only 1 memory card or more than 1? Obviously having more than one will help immensely.

Munin

How the hell will Hotline Miami control though? That game relies on instantaneous aiming. You can forget sticks. Maybe they'll try to use the rear touchpad?

BTW is there anything like Advance Wars on the Vita? I know there's a ton of TRPGs but I'd like something slightly faster-paced.

How the hell will Hotline Miami control though? That game relies on instantaneous aiming. You can forget sticks. Maybe they'll try to use the rear touchpad?

BTW is there anything like Advance Wars on the Vita? I know there's a ton of TRPGs but I'd like something slightly faster-paced.

controller support on pc version have lockon feature, I have easier time play with controller than mouse on pc.

Hotline Miami plays fine on PC with a 360 pad.

I would hope they polish it up for this release too but, eh, you never know.

kiyomi

We already know that since 2 months or so now. Held off on playing the Vita version due to that. All slowpokes of you :p

Still cool as hell though.

I thought it was just talk from the developer and not actually confirmed or anything. Either way, I'll probably get it if it's priced well.

Thanks for the sheet btw - I actually got that one! I'm really on a roll now.
of 2

I don't think any of those games are worth $40.

You could conceivably get your money's worth out of Ragnarok if you had friends to play with online. I bought the game and have only played it solo. I lasted about 12 hours before all desire to continue was lost

Top Bottom