• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | February 2013 | The most desirable handheld in Japan

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Holy crap that looks sweeet!

So looking forward to highscoring the shit out of that with my fellow Vitamuffins ;)

Edit: Grab Sound Shapes (ON SALE) tomorrow for $8.

Code:
Game Title	Normal Price	Sale Price	PS Plus Sale
Escape Plan	$14.99	$10.49	$7.34
Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational	$35.99	$25.19	$17.63
Hustle Kings PS Vita	$9.99	$6.99	$4.89
Little Deviants	$17.99	$12.59	$8.81
MLB The Show 12 PS Vita	$17.99	$12.59	$8.81
ModNation Racers: Road Trip	$17.99	$13.99	$9.79
MotorStorm RC Complete Edition	$11.99	$8.39	$5.87
PlayStation All Stars: Battle Royale	$35.99	$25.19	$17.63
Reality Fighters	$17.99	$12.59	$8.81
Smart As	$26.99	$18.89	$13.22
Sound Shapes	$14.99	$10.49	$7.34
Super Stardust Delta	$9.99	$6.99	$4.89
Unit 13	$26.99	$18.89	$13.22

mauaus

Vita.png

I asked, he responded... seems like sony is always very optimistic when it comes to the Vita

Noi

There's only one day left before this month's Vita Challenge ends! The winner gets to pick the Game of the Month for the March thread, so send those entries in!

So looking forward to highscoring the shit out of that with my fellow Vitamuffins ;)

Edit: Grab Sound Shapes (ON SALE) tomorrow for $8.

Code:
Game Title	Normal Price	Sale Price	PS Plus Sale
Escape Plan	$14.99	$10.49	$7.34
Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational	$35.99	$25.19	$17.63
Hustle Kings PS Vita	$9.99	$6.99	$4.89
Little Deviants	$17.99	$12.59	$8.81
MLB The Show 12 PS Vita	$17.99	$12.59	$8.81
ModNation Racers: Road Trip	$17.99	$13.99	$9.79
MotorStorm RC Complete Edition	$11.99	$8.39	$5.87
PlayStation All Stars: Battle Royale	$35.99	$25.19	$17.63
Reality Fighters	$17.99	$12.59	$8.81
Smart As	$26.99	$18.89	$13.22
Sound Shapes	$14.99	$10.49	$7.34
Super Stardust Delta	$9.99	$6.99	$4.89
Unit 13	$26.99	$18.89	$13.22

This pleases me greatly.

I'm tko_hero on Psn. Please feel free to add and I will do the same.

There's only one day left before this month's Vita Challenge ends! The winner gets to pick the Game of the Month for the March thread, so send those entries in!
NOI I WOULD HAVE BEATEN GRAVITY RUSH IF I KNEW THIS

get ready for senran kagura april game of the month baby

What was the threshold for the gold trophy for that challenge? I haven't had time to switch my Vita back to my US PSN to check my time but I think I just barely scraped the Gold time.

mauaus

Vita.png

I asked, he responded... seems like sony is always very optimistic when it comes to the Vita

This is the last thing he wrote:

@mauaus don’t worry sir, there are some great titles coming. I know because I’ve signed them. I can’t pre-announce them, but they are coming

Takao

Banned
lol I'm fairly certain Shahid just posted a Tweet saying "AAA games are great, but aren't there only 6 left?" or something to that equivalent before apparently deleting it.

there are maybe only six left on vita

I had fun with Sound Shapes. Going through the albums was pretty good though only the Beck one really stood out for me. Building stages and playing through some user-created stages was fun. Death mode was rage-inducing BS for me, but totally optional. I loved beat school - it's a music puzzle mode. It was really novel and cool, even though it didn't last very long.

I platinumed Sound Shapes (it's one of the reasons I wanted a Vita, originally) and then promptly deleted it. I have had no inclination to buy the released DLC and I do not think it warrants the space necessary on my memory card.

I find myself wishing it was Everyday Shooter with leaderboards and trophy support... it just... didn't click for me.

Try the demo first, seriously.

Guys, I'm super excited. Bit.Trip Runner 2 is going to come to the Vita! Shows up in the new trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juEY-CvjlY0&feature=player_embedded

It's not cross buy but I don't care. Still great news.

Ohhh... I'm interested.
I own the first one steam but never got into it with keyboard/mouse...
Love the new artstyle... seems like it'll be fun, I'd buy for Vita...

SOOOOOONNNNYYY WHERE IS MY BIGGER MEMORY CARD?!

MDSLKTR

Yes! I was going to insta-purchase sound shapes after trying the demo. Glad I waited. Will probably get battle royal if I get the ps3 version with it.

Shoyz

I wish that DLC trophies increased the max percentage rather than lowering your current. Sucks that I'm stuck at 67/100% in Gravity Rush instead of what it actually is, 100/133%.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Random, I know, but I finished Chapter 1 of Corpse Party last night, and O_O.

For a game that only uses pixels, it can be really, really scary. There were certain parts that gave me chills. Pixels are scary. That is all.

Nothing for me from the PS Awards thing, as I pretty much have all of the games that are nominated. Tempted to snag Persona 2, though. I've never played it. So many games, dammit.

Also, thoughts on Knytt Underground: It's ugly and pretty at the same time, but I can't help but feel that some of the "level" design is sloppy. It's a little frustrating not knowing how you are supposed to access certain things, not to mention there being countless secret openings and passageways that have no sort of hint that they are there (even Castlevania would have cracked, or slightly discolored walls, to let you know they were breakaway). I also think the map is almost too big. I love exploration, but it just seems way too unfocused. I think I'd have preferred a smaller, more polished map. Maybe half the size (which would still be amazingly sizable). I'm also getting a little tired/annoyed of the constant anti-religion crap in the dialogue. It's not that I have a problem with the content, just at how poorly written and forced it feels. It just comes off as the creator of the game trying too hard to sound intelligent and deep. It's the same tired rhetoric concerning religion we've heard a million times before. It's neither a new perspective, or as interesting as the writer thinks it is. I find myself skipping through the tons of dialogue between characters, because it's just not compelling.

Overall, I love the sense of discovery that the game has, but I just wish it was simpler and scaled back. Less in all areas, I think, would have been better. Still, though, I recommend it for anyone wanting a colorful, atmospheric puzzle/platformer. I'm glad I got it at discount, though. I wouldn't recommend it for $14.99. $7.99 is a solid price for it.

Random, I know, but I finished Chapter 1 of Corpse Party last night, and O_O.

For a game that only uses pixels, it can be really, really scary. There were certain parts that gave me chills. Pixels are scary. That is all.

Nothing for me from the PS Awards thing, as I pretty much have all of the games that are nominated. Tempted to snag Persona 2, though. I've never played it. So many games, dammit.

Also, thoughts on Knytt Underground: It's ugly and pretty at the same time, but I can't help but feel that some of the "level" design is sloppy. It's a little frustrating not knowing how you are supposed to access certain things, not to mention there being countless secret openings and passageways that have no sort of hint that they are there (even Castlevania would have cracked, or slightly discolored walls, to let you know they were breakaway). I also think the map is almost too big. I love exploration, but it just seems way too unfocused. I think I'd have preferred a smaller, more polished map. Maybe half the size (which would still be amazingly sizable). I'm also getting a little tired/annoyed of the constant anti-religion crap in the dialogue. It's not that I have a problem with the content, just at how poorly written and forced it feels. It just comes off as the creator of the game trying too hard to sound intelligent and deep. It's the same tired rhetoric concerning religion we've heard a million times before. It's neither a new perspective, or as interesting as the writer thinks it is. I find myself skipping through the tons of dialogue between characters, because it's just not compelling.

Overall, I love the sense of discovery that the game has, but I just wish it was simpler and scaled back. Less in all areas, I think, would have been better. Still, though, I recommend it for anyone wanting a colorful, atmospheric puzzle/platformer. I'm glad I got it at discount, though. I wouldn't recommend it for $14.99. $7.99 is a solid price for it.

This is exactly how I feel about KU. I still enjoy the game a lot and I love how organic everything feel by not following you typical game structure but it could be so much better.

Baconbitz

Banned
As of yesterday I had the 3rd time my Vita went dark with the lights still on. Holding home did nothing. My 3rd force restart. @askplaystation sent me something to try and fix. I hope it works.

Unit 13 is briliant example how to waste great and enjoyable gameplay by completly ignoring story.
Throwing a screen with 40 or so missions to complete might be acceptable in $1 iphone game but not when you are asking 40$ for it.

Dingotech

I wish that DLC trophies increased the max percentage rather than lowering your current. Sucks that I'm stuck at 67/100% in Gravity Rush instead of what it actually is, 100/133%.

Amen!

They shouldn't even add the DLC to the completion percentage if you don't own the DLC.

It's completely a marketing move, so that people look at the percentage and think oh noes I need the DLC to finish the game!

Dingotech

Unit 13 is briliant example how to waste great and enjoyable gameplay by completly ignoring story.
Throwing a screen with 40 or so missions to complete might be acceptable in $1 iphone game but not when you are asking 40$ for it.

Except it isn't $40 in the sale and it's a really fun game to play in short bursts.

Games can be fun when ignoring story as well, Hotline Miami basically has no story but it's a blast to play.

Fusebox

Banned

Not sure I agree. I think if they added some generic geo-political white noise storyline into it (and you know that's what it'd be) I think I'd be hammering the button to skip the cutscene to get to the next gameplay. Imo breaking the game into pure gameplay missions is a great move for a portable shooter.

You sir, have horrible taste.

Story would have never made Unit 13 any better, if anything it would have crippled it by not allowing more freedom.

Munin

Except it isn't $40 in the sale and it's a really fun game to play in short bursts.

Games can be fun when ignoring story as well, Hotline Miami basically has no story but it's a blast to play.

Huh, Hotline Miami has one of the most interesting and best presented stories of any game in the past few years. Just because it doesn't shove it in your face with tons of awkward exposition like a lot of games these days doesn't mean it has no story.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm one of the biggest fans of story in games, but come on, let's be honest here, most modern day, military shooters have crap, generic, boring stories. It's always trying too hard, and is often filled with some sort of "Rah Rah," propaganda that is more comical than poignant. We'd be rolling our eyes at the dudebro protagonists, instead of just taking the game for the gameplay it has. It's strategic, open-ended in how you tackle your objectives, it looks nice (especially for a year one Vita title), and controls really, really well (I'd have loved a patch for gyro aiming like Uncharted: GA, however; I thought I'd HATE gyro aiming, but hot damn, does it feel so frigging good and natural after a while, but overall, it's a nice feeling TPS on the Vita).

I think Unit 13's set up is great. It focuses on the missions and game play, and leaves the filler to our imaginations. Damn, I'm super tempted to rebuy it at that price.

I initially thought the "no story" component would bother me about the game, but ultimately, I didn't even miss it.

Kerub

Banned
How long would you say Virtue's last reward is? I checked howlongtobeat.com and that said around 30 hours for the main story! :-O Is that true?

I'm one of the biggest fans of story in games, but come on, let's be honest here, most modern day, military shooters have crap, generic, boring stories. It's always trying too hard, and is often filled with some sort of "Rah Rah," propaganda that is more comical than poignant. We'd be rolling our eyes at the dudebro protagonists, instead of just taking the game for the gameplay it has. It's strategic, open-ended in how you tackle your objectives, it looks nice (especially for a year one Vita title), and controls really, really well (I'd have loved a patch for gyro aiming like Uncharted: GA, however; I thought I'd HATE gyro aiming, but hot damn, does it feel so frigging good and natural after a while, but overall, it's a nice feeling TPS on the Vita).

I think Unit 13's set up is great. It focuses on the missions and game play, and leaves the filler to our imaginations. Damn, I'm super tempted to rebuy it at that price.

I initially thought the "no story" component would bother me about the game, but ultimately, I didn't even miss it.

Pretty much.

Rasec

Still 2 days for the return of my love for Ninja gaiden and some good action moments.
Really hope it comes out on European psn this Wednesday and not only on friday.

I want to have fun *__*

Dingotech

Huh, Hotline Miami has one of the most interesting and best presented stories of any game in the past few years. Just because it doesn't shove it in your face with tons of awkward exposition like a lot of games these days doesn't mean it has no story.

I disagree, watch the youtube analysis of the game by I think 'errant signal' or something like that.
His argument is that the story in hotline miami basically boils down to the devs telling you
that there is no story and the game is just pointless violence with fun gameplay.

Now you can disagree with his view, but I think you're reading waaay too much into the game if you think it has one of the best/most interesting stories of the past few years. And yes I've 100% completed the game even with the secret ending.

ON-TOPIC - I'll be buying Hotline Miami for my Vita when it comes out, so I don't dislike the game at all. :D

Top Bottom