• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | February 2013 | The most desirable handheld in Japan

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
move a little, B r ea k a l it tl e, turn a little, hurt a little.
Buy Sound Shapes tomorrow for $8

Dec

Overall, I like it. It's very arcadey and a pretty good fit if you have just a few minutes to play a game. So it's not quite a sitting down, more immersive experience like U:GA, but it's certainly not a bite-sized iOS thing, either. I guess it strikes a slightly awkward middle area. There's quite a lot of room for improving your score and quite a few of the levels you can tackle in differing ways ; some you can even do without killing a single guy, which is cool. Graphically it's nothing special, but it runs smoothly and plays fine, although you might find the aiming a little fiddly if you've played Uncharted and had the wonderful gyro aiming from that. It's a solid TPS for the price.

From what you describe here I'm not sure I'll like it, but everyone seems to like it so I may pick it up anyways.

I really liked the gyro from Uncharted and I feel like the aiming in that game would have been much less enjoyable without it.

Stranger's Wrath is going on sale like next week I believe in North America.

Awesome thanks for the heads up.

Firehead

Ended up winning this auction. Seems I will soon own a Vita now. Was that a decent price?

A few questions:
How's UMvC3 and LBP on the Vita? Are there any battery expansion things, similar to the powerpak on the 3DS? How durable is the screen? How's the DPad for fighting games? And what comes preloaded on the Vita?

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
100% getting super stardust delta - sooo excited for that one.
85% getting unit 13 - have been interested in play it esp looking for a shooter on vita... woulda liked it at 10$ though! hah

50/50 on sound shapes. seemed to get lots of glowing reviews when it first released... then a couple mixed ones popped up on this thread. not sure if i really want to bite.

still gotta get my year of PS+ as well...

whew AND strangers wrath next week - oy! hoping that hits 8-10$ mark

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
85% getting unit 13 - have been interested in play it esp looking for a shooter on vita... woulda liked it at 10$ though! hah

50/50 on sound shapes. seemed to get lots of glowing reviews when it first released... then a couple mixed ones popped up on this thread. not sure if i really want to bite.

Do you like music in general? Do you like gameplay based on music? Do you like creating and fiddling around with creative tools in games? Do you want to see a game that even Toto comments with "buy buy buy"?

If the answer to 2 of those questions is yes, get it.

Sid

Thanks everyone for the nice welcome.

As an european, I just got it 5 days ago and already got 28 hours clocked :)
Hope it stays that way, I also really liked P3P until the last third when it got very monotonous with the Tartarus.

Sonys three big games (Soul Sacrifice, Killzone, Tearaway) for sure. Hope we get a good Fifa 14 with most of the important gameplay features (Tactical Defending, Impact Engine) and a PAL release of Muramasa.
The only relatively unknown game I am looking forward to is a PSM title named Passing Time from Honey Slug and that is only because I liked Frobisher Says.
Good,I'm looking forward to them as well and hoping UC:GA 2 will be coming too along with that secret big third party exclusive....

I'm sure that I'm in the minority here, but Sound Shapes is really overrated. Outside of the Beck stages, the music is pretty bland, and the game isn't as clever as it thinks it is.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
PSY・S;48254352 said:
Waiting for something to happen with Lumines, NLKS, and EDF.

this man knows whats up.

Also, @Toma and @RN5 thanks for the opinions.

im personally not a huge enthusiast of music in general, also "creating" in games isn't much of an interest either. so i think im going to go with no on SoundShapes...save the money for Strangers Wrath or Motorstorm

i think it is still free so if you have a little room on your card and looking for a little change of gameplay - i give a hearty recommendation for OMG!Zombies mini. its nothing mindblowing, but its a nice different take.

SmokyDave

I'm sure that I'm in the minority here, but Sound Shapes is really overrated. Outside of the Beck stages, the music is pretty bland, and the game isn't as clever as it thinks it is.
I'm in that minority with you. Try as I might, I can't get in to it. The word 'mediocre' seems about right.

Dec

Ended up winning this auction. Seems I will soon own a Vita now. Was that a decent price?

A few questions:
How's UMvC3 and LBP on the Vita? Are there any battery expansion things, similar to the powerpak on the 3DS? How durable is the screen? And what comes preloaded on the Vita?

Pretty sure I've seen someone here say good things about this grip/battery pack: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0079V29EI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The screen is no less sturdy than an iPhone or similar. It feels really good.

Comes with these things installed:

iXZqGgxHH0vZV.jpg

iDms5t3qdphmD.jpg

dsigns1

A few questions:
How's UMvC3 and LBP on the Vita? Are there any battery expansion things, similar to the powerpak on the 3DS? How durable is the screen? How's the DPad for fighting games? And what comes preloaded on the Vita?

Both games are very good. There is a grip that has a battery expansion pack. Cant remember the name. The dpad is probably the best dpad there is for fighting games. The only game that comes preloaded is welcome park.

Certinty

Anyone in the UK know the cheapest store price for Persona 4?

Never played a Persona 4 game and have a lot of studying to go until mid June and am also wondering about how addicting the game is, should I hold off for now?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Toro app coming to NA: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013...ps-coming-friend-network-and-imaginstruments/

Friend Network, already a huge hit in Japan and other territories in Asia, is a unique social application for PS Vita that allows you to interact with friends and meet new people in a whole new way. Guided by PlayStation mascot mainstay Toro, the app lets PS Vita owners visualize their network of friends and gaming buddies through the use of avatars in a colorful environment, and through growing their friends list, players can grow their own unique town space within Friend Network. With the ultimate goal of reaching 100 friends within Friend Network, lobbies are available where players can meet new friends and exchange virtual “business cards.” These cards contain information that players can use to get to know others within Friend Network.
Additionally, Friend Network comes fully integrated with your favorite social networks. Players can connect to their Twitter and Facebook accounts to see which friends are also participating in Friend Network and add them immediately. Players can also request tasks from their friends, like planting crops in their garden, to expand their town yard space. As you can see, Friend Network is a great way to maintain and grow your PSN friends list!

Friend Network for PS Vita by PlayStation.Blog, on Flickr

OmegaZero

Pssssh, why would anyone waste money on a few old games when they can buy brand new portable ninja badassery tomorrow?

Ninja Gaiden Σ2+.

More Blood, Less Frames.

Dec

Pssssh, why would anyone waste money on a few old games when they can buy brand new portable ninja badassery tomorrow?

Ninja Gaiden Σ2+.

More Blood, Less Frames.

:( I'll have to see if the running is better than the first. I don't remember it being nearly that bad when I played it on Xbox all those years ago.

Anyone in the UK know the cheapest store price for Persona 4?

Never played a Persona 4 game and have a lot of studying to go until mid June and am also wondering about how addicting the game is, should I hold off for now?

Cheapest is £28 at Zavvi.

...It's Zavvi, though, so it could take a week to actually turn up in the post.

It is very addictive. If you've got a lot of studying to do, it probably wouldn't hurt to hold off just for a bit, haha.

ZeroAKA

well last i checked they still debating that. As far as the leveling goes carrying over makes it harder because of the reason you stated....you breeze through, get overleveled and miss all the weaker lines unless you just run through dungeons (missing money which youll need alot of in the end for the
fuse all trophy
and on top of that you really want the levels
for the margaret fight/trophy
).

Thats just the way i went through it and it worked,its certainly not written in stone....id just hate to see someone have to do a 3rd playthrough for these
All you have to do is equip your best Personas, buy the best equipment you've unlocked, and set EXP gain to low. Because you don't have to rely on leveling up to boost stats as much (especially for your main character), you can easily run past every enemy you see with little penalty. I'm on NG+ right now and just beat the
Rise
dungeon with my main character at level 20.

Edit: Wow, that was 2 pages ago. Mobile GAF didn't refresh properly.

Don't. Getting it with the First Edition Bundle gave us serious Vita buyer's remorse until we played something else.

I guess I'm in the minority when I feel like Little Deviants is a fun little game - although I got it for like $10 from that lockerz website. I missed out on the first edition bundle so I really wanted to give the game a shot. It's just a collection of minigames that showcases all the Vita's functionality - I dunno what people were expecting.

Also those two apps look awesome. We need more apps like this. I was just cruising around in NFS: Most Wanted and having an absolute blast btw. Really underrated game, more people need to pick it up.

ZeroAKA

Both of the new apps look great. I'll probably use them much more than that mediocre Ecolibrium app. However...

With the ultimate goal of reaching 100 friends within Friend Network, lobbies are available where players can meet new friends and exchange virtual “business cards.” These cards contain information that players can use to get to know others within Friend Network.
That's not much of a goal, is it? Increase the friend limit already, Sony.

Firehead

Pretty sure I've seen someone here say good things about this grip/battery pack: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0079V29EI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The screen is no less sturdy than an iPhone or similar. It feels really good.

Comes with these things installed:

Both games are very good. There is a grip that has a battery expansion pack. Cant remember the name. The dpad is probably the best dpad there is for fighting games. The only game that comes preloaded is welcome park.

Thanks much for the answers! Oh, and the 3G can be turned off on the Vita, right? I'd imagine it adds a bit to the battery drain.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member

hrrmmmmm....

others may like this stuff, but i'm not that enthused that every and anybody tries to create these social network communities for everything. i just dont get it i geuss. just more cllutter in your life.. do i really need this AND Near ( granted both serve different purposes) they are still social garbage.

even though i jsut re downloaded PvZ on my iphone, ipad, and gf's iphone.... i might get it for vita too...hahah just the trophies alone make it seem worthwhile.

zulux21

That's not much of a goal, is it? Increase the friend limit already, Sony.

it would be a mighty goal for me, I only have like 13 friends, and like 5 of them are a single person lol.

I only keep friends that I play games with regularly.

I can't be the only one looking forward to Mlb the show 13 next week right?

I'm not looking forward to the show 13 next week, but i am looking forward to it in 8 months or so.

Stardust is amazing. It looks as good as 2048 on the OLED.

Sol1dus

I'm excited for that Toro app. If its anything like Find Mii on the 3DS it should be very entertaining to meet new people.

I'm one of those people that defends Modnation. If its going to be cheap, I say get it. The game is atrocious at the end because of the frame rate going crazy. But until then, it gave me hours upon hours of fun kart racing. If it would get patched to fix the damm frame rate I would choose it over NFS.

Also going to get Oddworld if it goes on sale next week.

I'll definitely pick up Escape Plan this time. I would also like to recommend Sound Shapes, Super Stardust and unit 13. By going on sale they're definitely worth it (Stardust and sound shapes are actually worth full price but not unit 13).

PS should I get the Show for $8 if I'm trying to get back into baseball? (Have never followed it religiously, just a game here and there with some friends back in high school),

Sera O

Banned

I had fun with Sound Shapes. Going through the albums was pretty good though only the Beck one really stood out for me. Building stages and playing through some user-created stages was fun. Death mode was rage-inducing BS for me, but totally optional. I loved beat school - it's a music puzzle mode. It was really novel and cool, even though it didn't last very long.

Top Bottom