• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | February 2013 | The most desirable handheld in Japan

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
FFX-2 being rumored on top of FFX!
H6j1JBs.png
Exentryk said:
Roughly translates to "FFXHD's latest screenshot (PS3 version) is comparable to almost FFXIII. The game is coming in June. FFX-2 HD is also planned."
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=48416074&postcount=701

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Hype.

FFX-2 was awesome, and I would love to play that on the Vita.

Didnt finish FFX2 originally, I would REALLY welcome that development. Although I still will probably enjoy the replay of FFX as well, but I really hope they added at least a few new bosses.

Toma

there's no news about vita at Destination Playstation or any news?

Was hoping for a price cut or something.

http://www.sceainvites.com/

Its an NDA event. Last year we got smaller info leaked but other information was made official only 2 months after the actual event. So... dont hold your breath for anything.

daoster

Didnt finish FFX2 originally, I would REALLY welcome that development. Although I still will probably enjoy the replay of FFX as well, but I really hope they added at least a few new bosses.

I doubt Square would give actually put in the effort for new bosses, but if they gave us the International version, I'd be happy.

Toma

I doubt Square would give actually put in the effort for new bosses, but if they gave us the International version, I'd be happy.

Well it seems to be a remake, not a port, considering the upgraded graphics. So who knooows.

VanWinkle

I just put that image I made on my Vita, it's about the length of my thumb. Maybe that was a bit too extreme, lol. I'd just really like to resize it as I don't feel 3D PSP games look very nice on Vita. Even disabling bilinear filtering I still find the graphics look blurry, with jaggies sticking out more.

Well they're PSP games. They DON'T look very nice. Even on the PSP.

Toma

True, Lol. You hidden bastard :p
(Btw would you freak if someone created an isometric DF2 for Vita?)

It doesnt even need to be Dwarf Fortress 2, even a clone ala Towns or Gnomoria would get me to squeal.

I tried to play Dwarf Fortress via Remote play on my tablet somehow. Soooo not possible if the interface isnt remade for a touchscreen. Although the Gnomoria interface COULD work, since he already integrated an easy to use menu bar. Sigh.

But yeah, next to FS Vita (GOD DAMN AWESOME), my next big wish. After that I want a Paradox game please. Then the Vita can die as much as all the haters want it to :p

I just put that image I made on my Vita, it's about the length of my thumb. Maybe that was a bit too extreme, lol. I'd just really like to resize it as I don't feel 3D PSP games look very nice on Vita. Even disabling bilinear filtering I still find the graphics look blurry, with jaggies sticking out more.

Yes jaggies will appear but without bilinear filter games won't be blurry at all, UNLESS the original game had some king of AA applied.

I may be wrong but pretty sure they aren't Sega.

C'mon you know I'm kidding.

It's not so much that there's nothing to shoot at, but rather e.g. a boss or one of his subsystems that you can't destroy in time anymore, even though you are technically surviving up to that point. The lifebar analogy doesn't work, since a lifebar wouldn't continuously decrease. I don't know, of course it doesn't happen often, but it's just really weird. Would have preferred the game without the time mechanic and they could still have used all the time based powers.

Ahhh, I think I've encountered the exact problem you're talking about.

I kept dying and continuing on the big... crane like?... boss about 3 stages in... and based on the checkpoint I'd hit, it didn't seem like I had enough time or targets... but after trying some different strategies, I found one that let me scrape by and make it out after beating it, even after taking a few hits.

The life bar analogy is fine. It's a fact: the clock is your health and as such:
There are no health pickups, there are time pick ups.
When you take damage, it takes time off the clock.
The clock is your ship's life. Period. When it runs out, you die and must continue.

I believe the Shinobi game on PS2 was like that -- your lifebar was always decreasing and if you didn't kill/move with enough speed and skill, you died because you took too long. Fact is

To me, the time mechanic is what really sets it apart from everything else and large reason of why I like it.

Toma

Ahhh, I think I've encountered the exact problem you're talking about.

I kept dying and continuing on the big... crane like?... boss about 3 stages in... and based on the checkpoint I'd hit, it didn't seem like I had enough time or targets... but after trying some different strategies, I found one that let me scrape by and make it out after beating it, even after taking a few hits.

The life bar analogy is fine. It's a fact: the clock is your health and as such:
There are no health pickups, there are time pick ups.
When you take damage, it takes time off the clock.
The clock is your ship's life. Period. When it runs out, you die and must continue.

I believe the Shinobi game on PS2 was like that -- your lifebar was always decreasing and if you didn't kill/move with enough speed and skill, you died because you took too long. Fact is

To me, the time mechanic is what really sets it apart from everything else and large reason of why I like it.

Exactly, fantastically refreshing shmup. Although I am sure I will probably never beat all those challenge levels.

Skyzard

Banned
C'mon you know I'm kidding.

Yeah..but there are some quite cool characters as well I think. I only played the original a tiny bit though, I got in a steam sale quite later on but are there many characters missing or something? One I'm not sure about is Ryu from Shenmue. - according to wikipedia he is missing..shame. I would have loved the PC exclusives especially too. Still, not too bad with the crazy taxi guy, vyse, knights.

Ty4on

Yes? That would be the game presented in its native resolution on Vita. I'd rather it be in a black box than blown up and kind of blurry.

The Vita screen has four times the res of the PSP screen meaning four pixels can act like one PSP pixel which they do with bilinear filtering turned off. Then it's basically in its native res on a 5 inch OLED display and it's jaggy because it's a PSP game. AA would be nice, but you don't have all the power in the world when emulating.

Twinduct

It doesnt even need to be Dwarf Fortress 2, even a clone ala Towns or Gnomoria would get me to squeal.

I tried to play Dwarf Fortress via Remote play on my tablet somehow. Soooo not possible if the interface isnt remade for a touchscreen. Although the Gnomoria interface COULD work, since he already integrated an easy to use menu bar. Sigh.

But yeah, next to FS Vita (GOD DAMN AWESOME), my next big wish. After that I want a Paradox game please. Then the Vita can die as much as all the haters want it to :p

The problem with the clones is its just not the same heh. The years of love that went into DF2 allows such a deep experience unmatched by anything else.

But yeah interface is ass and completely impossible to navigate without a fully fledged keyboard. Would kill for a proper town sim.

I told you guys about Ragnarok Odyssey and how boring and crap it was, why no one listen to me here?

get God Eater if you want something till SS.

Got God Eater, the Bullet thing is still confusing me to no end.
But this is the effect of not choosing your battles Toto. If I avoid everything you hate on I'll be limited to so little :/

Toma

The Vita screen has four times the res of the PSP screen meaning four pixels can act like one PSP pixel which they do with bilinear filtering turned off. Then it's basically in its native res on a 5 inch OLED display and it's jaggy because it's a PSP game. AA would be nice, but you don't have all the power in the world when emulating.

Just make the AA an optional setting so people can try themselves. I am sure the AA would benefit some games without considerably slowing them down.

Noi

The Import Corner for the March thread is longer than the NA/EU section. :( Needs more localizations.

bleh Ragnarok Odessy demo left a sour taste in my mouth. Was hoping it'll scratch the SS itch :/

A shame, I really like the game. The Ragnarok fanservice goes a long way.

Twinduct

The Import Corner for the March thread is longer than the NA/EU section. :( Needs more localizations.

A shame, I really like the game. The Ragnarok fanservice goes a long way.

I loved R.Online back in the day. It's just that I can feel the grind waiting. The Orc Boss was also really boring to fight :/

I wanted to like it, I just couldn't :S

Noi

I loved R.Online back in the day. It's just that I can feel the grind waiting. The Orc Boss was also really boring to fight :/

What class did you try? Assassin is pretty fun cause it requires you to go #YOLO to beat everything, with later fights being really tense due to his weak range/defense but high agility requiring you to dodge everything.

I've never had to grind in RO myself. I mostly stuck to one or two outfits to constantly upgrade and just plain beating chapters gave me enough materials to upgrade what I wanted. Still, you could always wait for a sale or something before you jump in if you didn't really find it that fun for it's current price.

matmanx1

Picked up the Vita version of PSABR with the PS+ sale going on and man is it pretty! I think it's got to be one of the best looking games on the Vita. We definitely need more native resolution games running at 60fps. It's a pretty awesome thing to behold.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

You don't have to,it's a big ugly turd and just a bad clone.

I mean,they didn't even try to take advantage of the hardware and kept the segmented areas and core outdated structure from MH, the lock on wasn't good and was shoved into a shitty combat system, the crafting system,leveling/gears leveling,cards,skills are damn crap and copied from MH but by by untalented dudes... boring environments,boring quest,boring fights,shitty art style this is pure Gameloft quality.

oh Noi...first your P3P defending in the OT and now RO..what with you and horrible games?

you are the anti-Derrick :p

Interesting tweet...

goodbye PS3 experience on the go, Welcome XBLI experience on the go.

Toma

goodbye PS3 experience on the go, Welcome XBLI experience on the go.

Considering that, on average, Indie games were the more innovative and more diverse games last gen, GO indie games! Although it seems to shape up more like Steam on the go, than XBLI (which I approve of).

Noi

oh Noi...first your P3P defending in the OT and now RO..what with you and horrible games?

you are the anti-Derrick :p

I just play video games! It takes something truly terrible like Enslaved (an insult to the last 10 years of video game development) or Bug's Creed 3 for me to recoil in disgust.

Edit: FYI, I've been reading the suggestions for the new thread's title. Your input is appreciated!

Heads up VitaBros

Stranger's Wrath Vita NA/EU patches are up which include alternate control scheme that forgoes back touch entirely (thanks in part to input from GAF Members!) and leaderboards

Can't stress enough to buy this if you haven't yet already. Believe a PSN sale is due as well (^___^)

Now onto that Platinum!

Toma

Heads up VitaBros

Stranger's Wrath Vita NA/EU patches are up which include alternate control scheme that forgoes back touch entirely (thanks in part to input from GAF Members!) and leaderboards

Can't stress enough to buy this if you haven't yet already. Believe a PSN sale is due as well (^___^)

Now onto that Platinum!

Where did we get that information about that sale btw? When is that supposed to happen?

Famassu

I just play video games! It takes something truly terrible like Enslaved (an insult to the last 10 years of video game development) or Bug's Creed 3 for me to recoil in disgust.
Don't see how Enslaved, which is basically a slightly less polished melee-emphasizing version of Uncharted, is the biggest insult to the industry. It was a decent game that Namco should've paid NT to polish it for a few more months.

Noi

So.

Easiest plat on vita?

Either Gravity Rush, Virtue's Last Reward or PS-All Stars.

Then again, I haven't played stuff like Resistance.

Don't see how Enslaved, which is basically a slightly less polished melee-emphasizing version of Uncharted, is the biggest insult to the industry. It was a decent game that Namco should've paid NT to polish it for a few more months.

Understatement of the millennium. If Uncharted was like Enslaved, Sony's gaming division would have millions less money to operate with.

Don't make any effort in trying to convince me otherwise, nothing you say is gonna change my opinion on that awful game.

Top Bottom