• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | February 2013 | The most desirable handheld in Japan

kassatsu

Banned
GDC panels of interest to Vita owners:

PlayStation Vita Development: From Start-to-Finish and Why You Should Be Excited About It
http://schedule2013.gdconf.com/session-id/824155

Controlling the Abyss: Designing Uncharted's Controls for the PlayStation Vita
http://schedule2013.gdconf.com/session-id/822951

Bedroom Developments: Making PlayStation Games in Your Underwear
http://schedule2013.gdconf.com/session-id/824187

Unfortunately it appears none of them will be recorded for all us non-GDC people to see : /

I will be at the PSM and Vita development ones. If there is anything cool I will post it in here

Top of the page: Life of Pixel got patched on PSM. Check it out.

sunnz

Remote play of Tokyo jungle to me is pretty good so anything above that would be just amazing.

Will the more graphically/content demanding games be more prone to problems/lag? like GTA 6?

I do hope R* do just release a GTA game made for the vita though :(

kassatsu

Banned
Anyone got an updated feedback on Life of Pixel

Slow down and double jump fixed. Those were my 2 biggest issues

I'm really enjoying Life of Pixel now! It still has a few unfair leaps of faith (the C64 stages especially) and a tiny bit of slowdown on the larger levels, but the patch is a freakin' massive improvement. Double jumping actually works, and the different music for each system makes a world of difference. I... think the graphics got an upgrade, too?

I've got about 12 more gems to get before unlocking the Master System stages, pretty excited to see those.

Ok! I have played Life of Pixel a bit! The art style and music is top notch! Kudos to developers. Still hating that some levels have leap of faith. And is it me or do the controls improve as you move from one generation to another?

From the PSM thread

Takao

Banned
Anyone got an updated feedback on Life of Pixel

There's some impressions in the PlayStation Mobile thread:

Slow down and double jump fixed. Those were my 2 biggest issues

I'm really enjoying Life of Pixel now! It still has a few unfair leaps of faith (the C64 stages especially) and a tiny bit of slowdown on the larger levels, but the patch is a freakin' massive improvement. Double jumping actually works, and the different music for each system makes a world of difference. I... think the graphics got an upgrade, too?

I've got about 12 more gems to get before unlocking the Master System stages, pretty excited to see those.

oldmario

2013-02-26-165329_zps45bde96d.jpg

Am i the only one seeing a dirty shadow on the floor?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Any tips for Urban Trials? Eg for getting good air? The two 'tutorial' levels are pretty limited.

Its all about pushing the bike back or forth in the right moment. To get a long or high jump, its usually enough to push the bike back shortly before the jump.

Well I guess I'm not buying a Vita in Japan today after all. The best value bundle, the 3g and 32gb memory card one that only costs 5000 yen more than the basic model, is out of stock everywhere and on Sony's website it says they aren't shipping any more. The insulting price of memory cards was always what most turned me off the vita and this seemed a good compromise. One less customer for you then Sony.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Life of Pixel doesnt show an update for me and I still get the same music when booting it up. Any ideas? Patch only live for EU maybe?

Toma

Redownload it from the store.

Thanks.

Btw, I am really digging the amount of depth and flexibility in Hustle Kings. Seems like a pretty safe purchase for anyone liking Billard. Should be still on sale, so grab it!

zulux21

Nothing definite yet, but I'm feeling pretty good about the idea of our next game (CSH) being on PC & Vita.

from Robert Boyd ‏@werezompire
creator of breath of death, CSTW and penny arcade 3 and 4

There's also:

Robert Boyd ‏@werezompire
Good to see Sony is actively reaching out to the indie game development community.

Although he could just be referring to the announcement of Thomas Was Alone.

Still, I'm getting giddy at the thought of all these indie games on Vita.

Toma

OF COURSE redownloading Life of Pixel killed of my savegame. I assume thats something PSM specific, but GRRR.

Toma

Although its still not the best game in the world, Life of Pixel definitely makes sense now as a game and the tunes actually make it enjoyable. Although the core gameplay is still a bit broken in the later levels with those leaps of faith. But the game has finally reached a point where its recommendable :)

The music and sound effects add a LOT to the charme.

SmokyDave

I really like Big Sky Infinity. It's just fun to pick up and do a couple of runs here 'n' there.

Just thought I'd get that off my chest.

Toma

I'm intrigued. Make a case for me to blow my freshly reclaimed PSN 10 clams on it.

Me chiming in:
BSI is a decent arcade game, reminiscent of Facebook/Flash games with better production values with tons of modes. Unfortunately, I didnt like it very much. I think the game is too simple and the randomization makes the level design feel generic instead of well designed. The FB game like grind didnt sit well with me either. Its not a deep game and relies for most of its replayability on the aforementioned grind and upgradeathon.

If you want a shmup: Sine Mora is the ultimate native Vita game choice atm.

Me chiming in:
BSI is a decent arcade game, reminiscent of Facebook games with better production values with tons of modes. Unfortunately, I didnt like it very much. I think the game is too simple and the randomization makes the level design feel generic instead of well designed. The FB game like grind didnt sit well with me either.

If you want a shmup: Sine Mora is the ultimate native Vita game choice atm.

You're right. I played the demo and while I'm no huge shmup fan, I love me some good art. And Sine Mora has that in spades.

Good sell.

Toma

Also, while Life of Pixel didnt improve its gameplay, the music is now almost too good. Just started the third world, and I... think I want a soundtrack.

SmokyDave

You're right. I played the demo and while I'm no huge shmup fan, I love me some good art. And Sine Mora has that in spades.

Good sell.
Even as a fan of BSI, I'd concur with the above. Although I enjoy BSI, I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending it.

I dig SM too. The difference is I can't relax with SM, I can with BSI. I don't really care about what's going on, I just enjoy the flashing lights.

Toma

Even as a fan of BSI, I'd concur with the above. Although I enjoy BSI, I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending it.

I dig SM too. The difference is I can't relax with SM, I can with BSI. I don't really care about what's going on, I just enjoy the flashing lights.

I still agree with that yeah. Its certainly a relaxing game to shut your mind of if you just want to watch some pretty colours. Too bad thats not what I want from a shmup :p And Sine Mora is still visually more impressive to me since the set pieces actually look like something, BSI feels more like a visualizer of sorts.

Toma

Dec

Decided to look up why I can't get 5 stars on this trick track in Trials and it looks like the score needed is the same as the PS3 version but the Vita version only has one jump at the end while the PS3 has 2.

Watching him do it I was surprised how bad he was doing, then at the end still got 5 stars, while I'm coming close to the track leader on every trick and not getting 5 stars.

1950 1880
1539 1567
1932 1783
1312 2092

My scores on the left. Obviously the last score is what is killing me but this is what that trick looks like in both versions (it's a flip meter, do the most flips within the jump).

Vita top, PS3 bottom.

I still agree with that yeah. Its certainly a relaxing game to shut your mind of if you just want to watch some pretty colours. Too bad thats not what I want from a shmup :p And Sine Mora is still visually more impressive to me since the set pieces actually look like something, BSI feels more like a visualizer of sorts.

Sine Mora it is. Just for the machine designs.

SmokyDave

That's exactly what it feels like! I play Beat Hazard in the same way.

Man, I'd kill for Beat Hazard Vita.

Decided to look up why I can't get 5 stars on this trick track in Trials and it looks like the score needed is the same as the PS3 version but the Vita version only has one jump at the end while the PS3 has 2.
I'm really struggling on a couple of stunt tracks. I wonder if this is why. What a stupid oversight.

Toma

Watching him do it I was surprised how bad he was doing, then at the end still got 5 stars, while I'm coming close to the track leader on every trick and not getting 5 stars.

1950 1880
1539 1567
1932 1783
1312 2092

My scores on the left. Obviously the last score is what is killing me but this is what that trick looks like in both versions (it's a flip meter, do the most flips within the jump).

Vita top, PS3 bottom.

Which level is that?

Alright so how is smart as?

Its a Brain age game with good production values and leaderboards. If you like the idea of having such a game on Vita, its worth the sale price.

Top Bottom