• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | February 2013 | The most desirable handheld in Japan

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Over the filesize, really? Or the Sonic dlc..

People saying they wont buy the game because of the 800MB, which I can sort of agree that its an issue if you dont know how many MB MORE a dev might add.
But retrospective that panic talk is a bit funny if it only adds 50MB :p

Takao

Banned
I'd much rather have this:

snap0061xi6g.png

In a black box like this:

deadheadvitablackl6uyh.png

Than the current solution, which is this:

deadheadvita6hurg.png

Covering the entire screen, unless Sony can activate some AA.

That doesn't make sense at all, why would a dev need to release a game on a system for it to guarantee them releasing a game to the successor system?

Because PSP was a successful platform, and I don't need to state what Vita is right now.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
i can agree with minecraft and terraria, but I highly doubt something like DayZ will come. Not only would you need to likely water it down in order to get it to run decently on the vita, you would also need to cut like half the content to get it to fit on the vita (it's 10gb on steam, the vita supports 3, even assuming a decent size reduction due to lower res assets needed there still needs to be a lot removed to make it 3gb)

but WarZ is like 1.4GB something :p

I really think Vita can handle something like that without a huge cut, it just need a good engine for Vita which is another problem for these devs.

ZeroAKA

It ends up replacing game files on my digital edition - only 50mb or so increase after installing.
Oh, I didn't know that. The size did seem very intimating though.

I've been looking into Virtue's Last Reward for the past few days. Is it true that each of the escape puzzles only has to be done once, and then I'd be able to replay the game like a true visual novel?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Oh, I didn't know that. The size did seem very intimating though.

I've been looking into Virtue's Last Reward for the past few days. Is it true that each of the escape puzzles only has to be done once, and then I'd be able to replay the game like a true visual novel?

No, every time you replay the game you go a different route with OTHER puzzles. Its true that you dont need to replay a single puzzle however, compared to 999 for example.

ZeroAKA

No, every time you replay the game you go a different route with OTHER puzzles. Its true that you dont need to replay a single puzzle however, compared to 999 for example.
Do you mean that I'll still have to do the same escape sequences but with different puzzles for each route? If so, that doesn't seem too bad either. I'll pick it up if I find a good price for it.

yes, no 2xAA for PSP is weird, Vita's GPU should be more than capable of doing that.

lazy/incompetent SCEJ software engineers I guess.

Wouldn't any decent AA method require access to each and every game's internal framebuffer? I don't think you can apply a one-size-fits-all patch to every game on the platform and just expect it to work without serious problems on every last game.

Toma

Do you mean that I'll still have to do the same escape sequences but with different puzzles for each route? If so, that doesn't seem too bad either. I'll pick it up if I find a good price for it.

Nah, they are completely different rooms. As in different dialogue etc. You only need to play through the 30 or so puzzle rooms one time each, but will see the dialogue in between often. However, that dialogue also changes sometimes depending on some circumstances. The game has a handy text scrolling feature that stops at text you havent seen yet.

Thoroughly well designed game. Highly recommended.

damnit, the game is really hard, stuck at chapter 3 or 4 I think. :(

Took me quite a few times as well. Eventually, I just blew through it :) Keep at it!

Skyzard

Banned
People saying they wont buy the game because of the 800MB, which I can sort of agree that its an issue if you dont know how many MB MORE a dev might add.

Not to worry guys haha. I was a bit ticked at first as well but it happened with the previous update too and yeah, doesn't amount to much. PSASBR content baby!

Although it does suck if you're really tight on space to have to delete and reinstall. You really need about a GB or so free to keep the hassle to a minimum for large patches and cool demos.

Never thought I would but I'm really enjoying the Urban Trials demo - will buy that soon, sly demo next yay.

Munin

If you're running out of time "because there's nothing to shoot", odds are you got hit too much, since time is also your lifebar.

While the story mode forces the slowing of time mechanic, you can also switch your meter to do other things, like reflect shots instead, once you play arcade mode.

I know some people were pissy because the game randomizes powerups, so you can't employ memorization of patterns and powerups to maximize score... but I'm not good enough at the game to criticize the mechanic. If I start playing arcade mode, dodge every bullet on the screen and kill every enemy and still die because there's nothing to shoot, maybe then I'll start thinking the design is bad... but I doubt I'll ever be *that* good at it. ;)

It's not so much that there's nothing to shoot at, but rather e.g. a boss or one of his subsystems that you can't destroy in time anymore, even though you are technically surviving up to that point. The lifebar analogy doesn't work, since a lifebar wouldn't continuously decrease. I don't know, of course it doesn't happen often, but it's just really weird. Would have preferred the game without the time mechanic and they could still have used all the time based powers.

Toma

Never thought I would but I'm really enjoying the Urban Trials demo - will buy that soon, sly demo next yay.

The game was really good, unfortunately a bit low on content overall. Definitely worth the asking price however :)

Oh and while talking about UTF... that challenge level for the last world is as genius as it is devious.

Nah, they are completely different rooms. As in different dialogue etc. You only need to play through the 30 or so puzzle rooms one time each, but will see the dialogue in between often. However, that dialogue also changes sometimes depending on some circumstances. The game has a handy text scrolling feature that stops at text you havent seen yet.

Took me quite a few times as well. Eventually, I just blew through it :) Keep at it!

do I have to start the hard mode from the beginning, or can I just stage select the last stage and pick hard mode from there?

Toma

do I have to start the hard mode from the beginning, or can I just stage select the last stage and pick hard mode from there?

Unfortunately, I dont know :/ It COULD be enough if you play just the last level, but I dont know. You could try and if it works, you'll definitely notice at the end.

Takao

Banned
That didn't stop Keiji Inafune from releasing a game on it.
Didn't the PSP start off really weak though?

Inafune worked at Capcom during the majority of the PSP's real life, and worked on many games, including MegaMan: Powered Up.

And if the PSP started really weak, Vita hasn't started.

ZeroAKA

Thanks, that sounds great. I've been looking for a game with a solid story ever since I finished P4G. Now if I can only find a cheap copy somewhere...

Tizoc

Inafune worked at Capcom during the majority of the PSP's real life, and worked on many games, including MegaMan: Powered Up.
So why didn't he jump on the 3DS bandwagon @_@.

And if the PSP started really weak, Vita hasn't started.
Are there any financial reports or the like that compare PSP and Vita's performance during their first year or two?

Now that I think about it the Vita's like 1 Year old now? Totally forgot it was a 2012 system @_@.

Skyzard

Banned
By the way guys, if you're not subbed or don't check community much:

JSR:
The game has been updated to v1.01 on PS3 & Vita:

- Improved performance (Both versions)
- Fixed game freezes after long play sessions (Vita)
- Drawing distance has been doubled (Vita)
- Shorter loading times (Both versions)
- Fixed several little visual and performance issues (Both versions)
- Now it's possible to repeat a level just after clearing it (Both versions)
- Improved image import, solving errors and adding more compatible image formats.
- Saves can now be shared between PS3 and Vita, including progress, scores and throphies. Only on the first save slot, thou.

:)

Also Stranger's Wrath update is out :) Said something about aiming, downloading it now.

Takao

Banned
So why didn't he jump on the 3DS bandwagon @_@.

Inafune is working on a 3DS game too. It's a cutesy Dynasty Warriors clone with animals.

Are there any financial reports or the like that compare PSP and Vita's performance during their first year or two?

Now that I think about it the Vita's like 1 Year old now? Totally forgot it was a 2012 system @_@.

I really doubt PSP was pushing 35k back in 2006 in the US if that's what you're asking.

You can't possibly be serious right?

Yes? That would be the game presented in its native resolution on Vita. I'd rather it be in a black box than blown up and kind of blurry.

Toma

JSR:

Also Stranger's Wrath update is out :) Said something about aiming, downloading it now.

Now that is cool patch support.

Yes? That would be the game presented in its native resolution on Vita. I'd rather it be in a black box than blown up and kind of blurry.

Except there's no technical reason it has to be blurry since the Vita's screen is exactly twice the horizontal and vertical resolutions of the PSP's screen. If the emulator can be set to just render each pixel four times over it would look exactly like it would on the PSP were the screen that size.

This isn't an option on, say, the 3DS, because the 3DS's screen resolution isn't a multiple of either the GBA or DS screen resolutions.

Tizoc

Inafune is working on a 3DS game too. It's a cutesy Dynasty Warriors clone with animals.
Oh yeah where the heck is that game, been wanting to see more of it for a long time lol.

I really doubt PSP was pushing 35k back in 2006 in the US if that's what you're asking.
I was mostly wanting to know if the PSP sales during its first year were better or not compared to the Vita's first year.
Interestingly enough though, the Vita has been beneficial for devs who released games on it than on other systems. GoldenHelmet mentioned that the Vita sales of Stranger's Wrath were pretty good, and then there's the RCR devs comment on how the Vita was the more succesful release of the game.

Which brings me to this, I don't care that MS published it, GIMME MARK OF THE NINJA ON VITA DAMNIT!

Takao

Banned
Except there's no technical reason it has to be blurry since the Vita's screen is exactly twice the horizontal and vertical resolutions of the PSP's screen. If the emulator can be set to just render each pixel four times over it would look exactly like it would on the PSP were the screen that size.

This isn't an option on, say, the 3DS, because the 3DS's screen resolution isn't a multiple of either the GBA or DS screen resolutions.

Well that's the problem though, the emulator doesn't look like it's rendering the game in Vita's resolution, but just upscaling it. I'd take the native resolution in a black box over the current upscale solution for 3D games.

Munin

If the emulator can be set to just render each pixel four times over it would look exactly like it would on the PSP were the screen that size.

This is what I never really understood about the PSP emulation on Vita. People kept saying how great PSP games look on the Vita, since its resolution is the quadruple of the PSP resolution, I assumed the emulator did just that.

Then, as I commented a few days ago, to my disappointment I realized PSP games are somehow blurry messes on the Vita. And now someone tells me that the emulator actually does some shitty, weird upscaling that makes the games blurry instead of the simplest, best-looking solution.

Well, thanks Sony, I guess.

Dec

In my case it isn't an issue of memory card space. It's an issue of Canadian internet caps, Super Monday Night Combat also redownloaded the entire game for patches and it pretty much forced me to uninstall. 800mb isn't a huge amount, I have 175GB/month but I feel like I would play the game sparingly and everything adds up when you play a large amount of regularly updating games.

Well that's the problem though, the emulator doesn't look like it's rendering the game in Vita's resolution, but just upscaling it. I'd take the native resolution in a black box over the current upscale solution for 3D games.

I don't think you're understanding the statement. There's no way to write a platform emulator with a different target resolution than the original without introducing all sorts of issues that would have to be fixed on a game-by-game basis, so it's totally expected the emulator renders to a buffer at PSP resolution. The problem here is how that buffer is being handled for presentation on Vita - at present it's a filtered resize (probably bilinear) rather than straight up duplicating each pixel four times over (so instead of a single pixel being shown at a position, you get a 2x2 grid of pixels with the exact same color representing that single pixel). Because the screen is an even multiple of the framebuffer, the end result would be nearly identical to a screen that simply had half the native resolution of the target screen. Whether an option for this style of presentation exists I don't know, and if it doesn't exist it's beyond me why not.

Toma

This is what I never really understood about the PSP emulation on Vita. People kept saying how great PSP games look on the Vita, since its resolution is the quadruple of the PSP resolution, I assumed the emulator did just that.

Then, as I commented a few days ago, to my disappointment I realized PSP games are somehow blurry messes on the Vita. And now someone tells me that the emulator actually does some shitty, weird upscaling that makes the games blurry instead of the simplest, best-looking solution.

Well, thanks Sony, I guess.

Yeah its weird. That only affects 3D games however, No Heroes Allowed or Class of Heroes look fantastic for example and might as well be native Vita titles.

JSR:

Oh wow, those patch fixes sound fantastic, I thought sega would just ignore jsr so I'm glad to see several things at irritated me have been fixed up. Too bad I've already 100%ed it already! I'll have to give it another try for the hell of it :)

MDSLKTR

Man, you must really despise that vita if you find that it's a flaw, oh hey I'm gonna play that ps2 game on my 1080p hdtv in a 640x480 stamp format because sony engineers are incompetent, I just have to sit close to the tv, to hell with higher resolutions!
... How would you even see a game with half the size of the already small screen like that? It doesn't make sense for the consumer at all. I am already pissed that sotn doesn't take the full screen.

Dec

Man, you must really despise that vita if you find that it's a flaw, oh hey I'm gonna play that ps2 game on my 1080p hdtv in a 640x480 stamp format because sony engineers are incompetent, I just have to sit close to the tv, to hell with higher resolutions!
... How would you even see a game with half the size of the already small screen like that? It doesn't make sense for the consumer at all. I am already pissed that sotn doesn't take the full screen.

As with everything I think options are nice. The PS3 has this very option when watching video files. With it being stretched to the Vita's screen you get an unmodded PC Dark Souls look. Either case isn't ideal but some people might prefer one over the other.

Skyzard

Banned
Oh wow, those patch fixes sound fantastic, I thought sega would just ignore jsr so I'm glad to see several things at irritated me have been fixed up. Too bad I've already 100%ed it already! I'll have to give it another try for the hell of it :)

:) Will be in an even better form waiting for you for next time - it's so fast! Great job on 100% btw..I'm still so far behind, will definitely get back into it now.

As a dayz 'pro'

It wouldn't run on vita, even on low and at 1fps.

A high end gaming pc has problems running that game at 1080p 60fps.

There is literally NO chance sorry guys :(

I wish it would trust me

Dec

As a dayz 'pro'

I wish it would trust me

Yea.. Arma 2 has always ran terribly. Was worse at launch, too.

Toma

As a dayz 'pro'

I wish it would trust me

DayZ is a bit of an outlandish wish anyway, but Optimisation goes a long way. Its a lower res, so lower texture quality etc go a long way. The Strangers Wrath devs said they started their development at sub-native res with 30fps and got it to native res at even 50 fps only through optimising the game. Its still probably an engine that wouldnt all that much benefit from the Vita architecture, but people CAN make games work on other platforms if they optimise/lower certain aspects.

But whatever! Give me a Bethesda game instead please :p Or the rumored Batman game. Or a Bajillion Indie games!

Takao

Banned

I just put that image I made on my Vita, it's about the length of my thumb. Maybe that was a bit too extreme, lol. I'd just really like to resize it as I don't feel 3D PSP games look very nice on Vita. Even disabling bilinear filtering I still find the graphics look blurry, with jaggies sticking out more.

Top Bottom