• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | February 2013 | The most desirable handheld in Japan

addyb

Is it amazing in a "I'm playing Virtua Tennis in my hand in HD!"-way or is there something really special about it, game modes, etc?

I'm not hung up on real players, I've played Virtua Tennis since the Dreamcast days so I'm curious if there's anything about Hot Shots that would be a selling point.

Ive got both VT and Everybodys Tennis and much prefer the latter. For me its just far more fun. Not saying Virtua is bad, not at all.. just think everybodys tennis for the price is a must buy (cost me £3 i think)

water1111

Banned
So I Just "finished" Persona 4 and I have to go through NG+ to get the true ending fuck that, its still the best Vita game at the moment.

On to Medevil now.

So.

Sly 4.

Vita.

I'm just not feeling it.

Load times aren't an issue for me, yeah they are somewhat annoying but by no means are they a deal breaker. That being said...they game is just boring. The graphics are crisp but unimpressive, forgoing the amazing cell shading of the past titles makes the polygon count all the more noticeable and it truly is distracting. Hell, the textures in Oddworld (an HD remake) were better than what I've seen so far.

The writing and voice acting seems.... juvenile. The voice acting is decent so far but...eh

Overall it really just feels like...a PS2 game.

I'm still willing to give it a chance, I am, for Van Winkle's sake but.

=/

addyb

Is it absolutely essential i should play 999 first before VLR? I could buy it for my 3DS but really would prefer to just play VLR as ive got too much in my backlog already.

zulux21

Is it absolutely essential i should play 999 first before VLR? I could buy it for my 3DS but really would prefer to just play VLR as ive got too much in my backlog already.

nope there are reviewers that played VLR and enjoyed it just fine haven't not played 999 before hand. It's just highly recommended you play 999 first to get the full enjoyment out of VLR.

Hanmik

So.

Sly 4.

Vita.

I'm just not feeling it.

Load times aren't an issue for me, yeah they are somewhat annoying but by no means are they a deal breaker. That being said...they game is just boring. The graphics are crisp but unimpressive, forgoing the amazing cell shading of the past titles makes the polygon count all the more noticeable and it truly is distracting. Hell, the textures in Oddworld (an HD remake) were better than what I've seen so far.

The writing and voice acting seems.... juvenile. The voice acting is decent so far but...eh

=/

You know what.. ? I just got some trophies again yesterday..

Lzf8YCg.jpg

I don´t need that many to Platinum the game.. but the trophies I need are not worth my time.. It´s like you said boring.. it really feels like an old PS2 game. I have spent alot of hours on this game, just to unlock some stuff, so that I could include them in my review.. but damn it was hard. And the rewards are lol worthy..

As a now obsessed 999/VLR fan....let me tell you.

Whilst no you do not HAVE TO PLAY 999 I can not recommend enough that you view the true ending of 999 play through:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD6PFfIJOOs&list=UU0S3e5keWOmJFK72L0H2_Uw&index=80

Watch it, it's long as hell but worth it. WATCH IT.

It will not only give you a great understanding of the universe but its a hell of an experience.

Number45

I only played Sly a few months ago when it was made free on PS+ and I had fun with it, and that was also a PS2 game. I'm not feeling the "it feels like a PS2 game" criticisms. :/

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member

addyb

As a now obsessed 999/VLR fan....let me tell you.

Whilst no you do not HAVE TO PLAY 999 I can not recommend enough that you view the true ending of 999 play through:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD6PFfIJOOs&list=UU0S3e5keWOmJFK72L0H2_Uw&index=80

Watch it, it's long as hell but worth it. WATCH IT.

It will not only give you a great understanding of the universe but its a hell of an experience.

Ahh ok i was actually going to say is there some youtube footage that will enable me to sort of know whats happened previous.
Thanks for the link.

Hanmik

I only played Sly a few months ago when it was made free on PS+ and I had fun with it, and that was also a PS2 game. I'm not feeling the "it feels like a PS2 game" criticisms. :/

the first sly was great.. this Sly is not like that game.. I loved Sly 1.. so much that I platinumed it. This is not the same kind of game.

PaulLFC

If you get Dokuro from the store you dl the trial version (350 mb) Seems like a mistake from SCEE
Must be, as on the web store I can't see any mention of a trial, only the full game. Presumably both are supposed to be offered and the trial has been mistakenly uploaded as the full game.

zulux21

i more just read it as the production values are lower than expected for a current gen game... that it feels more like this instead of this

as being a ps2 game is hardly a bad thing... i mean the highest rated game on the vita is a ps2 game :p

Ran rp

So.

Sly 4.

Vita.

I'm just not feeling it.

=/

These are my thoughts as well.

the first sly was great.. this Sly is not like that game.. I loved Sly 1.. so much that I platinumed it. This is not the same kind of game.

What's better about the original game?

Hanmik

PSY・S;47078615 said:
These are my thoughts as well.

What's better about the original game?

The pacing was great. The platforming was good, you almost only played as Sly. The way the world was connected to the mission levels worked great. It felt like they were trying to make a cartoonish platformer and they succeded. The game had some problems, but overall it´s just a much better game. They got some stuff right and focused on that.

dan2026

Wow I was just playing Ninja Gaiden Sigma on the airship level.

Was fighting one of the black suited solders on the walkways outside, when the bastard grapples me and knees me clean off the airship.

Complete and utter bastard!

Ran rp

The pacing was great. The platforming was good, you almost only played as Sly. The way the world was connected to the mission levels worked great. It felt like they were trying to make a cartoonish platformer and they succeded. The game had some problems, but overall it´s just a much better game. They got some stuff right and focused on that.

Hmm. If I ever get a replacement PS3 I'll have to check it out. Or maybe I'll just get a PS2 copy and play it in PCSX2.

And you know...it's absolutely stupid and inconsequential and petty and trivial but it bugs me, bugs me to DEATH that the characters lips don't move when they are speaking during gameplay.

Again, the OddWorld syndrome =/

Tomodachi

Just wanted to say that PSN is on a roll lately, with lots of great games at very good prices for a digital delivery platform. Dokuro and Bayonetta are the latest examples.
My only complain is that I just wish it updated at 10AM or something, not in the middle of the day (usually 4PM over here), that's frustrating :/

ZeroAKA

I guess that Game Day thing was for a God of War Super Bowl commercial after all. Oh well, one more day before the Killzone embargo is lifted. :D

Hanmik

PSY・S;47078904 said:
Hmm. If I ever get a replacement PS3 I'll have to check it out. Or maybe I'll just get a PS2 copy and play it in PCSX2.

I have only played the HD version of the first game on PS3.

Another thing that is much better about Sly 1 is the way the mission system works.

Sly 1 : You have some kind of small overworld, where you can choose which mission you want to try. You just walk around and got though the door to start the mission. When the mission is finished you return to the same overworld again, and then you just continue and the game just flows so good...

Sly 4: You have a Hub. In this hub you can choose lot´s of stuff. It´s like a beautifull menu with nice graphics. From here you choose a person and embark on a mission. Then the overworld loads. Once you are on the overworld you have to follow an arrow to come to a point where the mission starts, or you can just mess around with stuff and collect bottles etc. Once you start a mission a cutscene loads, then back to overworld, then you go on with your mission. This normally requires you to enter new locations, which again results in loading and waiting. It just goes on like that untill you reach the end of the mission and it says "mission finished". Then it loads you back to the hub, and you once again need to chose a character etc..
It doesn´t feel as fluid. Load screens all the time, and the hub is a strange annoying midpoint between you and the actual game. It gets real annoying fast and it interrupts the gameflow alot.

Trigonx

I see lets fish is on the eu store now. Has anyone picked this up yet? Just after some impressions as im tempted by it myself!

do not buy. I bought it, I seriously regret spending that $20. Deleted it and will most likely never download it again.

addyb

do not buy. I bought it, I seriously regret spending that $20. Deleted it and will most likely never download it again.

Gutted... is it really that bad? Was looking forward to it but im certainly not spending £14.99 on a game that hasnt had any glowing thoughts about it yet.

Trigonx

Gutted... is it really that bad? Was looking forward to it but im certainly not spending £14.99 on a game that hasnt had any glowing thoughts about it yet.

I actually spend 60-90 min playing the game to hoping it was worthy of my purchase. I actually felt much better for spending $30 on CoD BO:Declassified after buying that fishing game.

RpgN

I actually spend 60-90 min playing the game to hoping it was worthy of my purchase. I actually felt much better for spending $30 on CoD BO:Declassified after buying that fishing game.

Damn, I was looking forward to a fishing game. Dokuro is bought at least.

So.

Sly 4.

Vita.

I'm just not feeling it.

I know what you mean. If you told me before I played the demo it was like a PS2 game I would have said "Awesome, that's just what I want!" But then I played it and now I can barely muster any feelings at all, just a big "meh." I know its a different team but especially after infamous its hard to look at Sly and not be annoyed by the little things I wouldn't have noticed 8 or so years ago

Carl

So.

Sly 4.

Vita.

I'm just not feeling it.

=/

That's exactly why i'm buying it :)

I'm wondering if the Sly views aren't in part due to Bad Demo™, but it'll be interesting to see what our reviewers at large say once embargoes or whatever is stopping them weighing anchor are lifted.

That's exactly why i'm buying it :)

I know what you mean. If you told me before I played the demo it was like a PS2 game I would have said "Awesome, that's just what I want!" But then I played it and now I can barely muster any feelings at all, just a big "meh." I know its a different team but especially after infamous its hard to look at Sly and not be annoyed by the little things I wouldn't have noticed 8 or so years ago

You know what's slightly ironic? If it WAS like the PS2 Sly Cooper games I would absolutely fucking love it. Granted I thought the original Sly was a Masterpiece and the sequels were "decent" but all things considered they were beautifully rendered and thought out adventures.

You know what this game feels like? It feels like there was a Sly Cooper animated film and this is the licensed video game based on the movie.

Yeah, that mediocre. ;(

Derrick01

Banned
Sly feels just like the old games did. Auto platforming, almost no challenge or risk from enemies, annoying friends and a bunch of minigames. It even looks pretty close to the PS2 games. They did a great job replicating the Sly experience.

Sly feels just like the old games did. Auto platforming, almost no challenge or risk from enemies, annoying friends and a bunch of minigames. It even looks pretty close to the PS2 games. They did a great job replicating the Sly experience.

That and that alone is holding me back from getting this game.
Can't stand that turtle's voice.

I'll stop recommending Sly 4. :-( I loved the demo but it seems most of you didn't like it. Carry on, my friends :-(

:-(

I'm going to play the demo as a bedtime story this eve, so I'll report back once I finish it. Always loved the Sly ambience and world...so we'll see. As apparently a hen's tooth who considers Sly 2 to be the best of the bunch, I might have to start applying for the Sly 4 appreciation club card...intrigued.

Top Bottom