• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | February 2013 | The most desirable handheld in Japan

Ran rp

I have only played the HD version of the first game on PS3.

Another thing that is much better about Sly 1 is the way the mission system works.

Sly 1 : You have some kind of small overworld, where you can choose which mission you want to try. You just walk around and got though the door to start the mission. When the mission is finished you return to the same overworld again, and then you just continue and the game just flows so good...

Sly 4: You have a Hub. In this hub you can choose lot´s of stuff. It´s like a beautifull menu with nice graphics. From here you choose a person and embark on a mission. Then the overworld loads. Once you are on the overworld you have to follow an arrow to come to a point where the mission starts, or you can just mess around with stuff and collect bottles etc. Once you start a mission a cutscene loads, then back to overworld, then you go on with your mission. This normally requires you to enter new locations, which again results in loading and waiting. It just goes on like that untill you reach the end of the mission and it says "mission finished". Then it loads you back to the hub, and you once again need to chose a character etc..
It doesn´t feel as fluid. Load screens all the time, and the hub is a strange annoying midpoint between you and the actual game. It gets real annoying fast and it interrupts the gameflow alot.

Yeah, it sounds like Sly 4 definitely shouldn't be my entry to the series.

Carl

Sly feels just like the old games did. Auto platforming, almost no challenge or risk from enemies, annoying friends and a bunch of minigames. It even looks pretty close to the PS2 games. They did a great job replicating the Sly experience.

Then i'll definitely buy it. That's all i want :)

Derrick01

Banned
what do you mean by no risk of dying..?

The Sly games after 1 added an increasingly generous health bar and since then it's been almost impossible to die in the games. The only time I ever die in them now is when the auto platforming gets screwy and makes me miss, since you can't actually land on the sparkling blue things yourself. You HAVE to hit the auto jump to button.

Hanmik

The Sly games after 1 added an increasingly generous health bar and since then it's been almost impossible to die in the games.

ohh.. you have a health bar.. I died alot of times in the game. But you don´t get punished very hard, just restart a little back .. or start at the front of your "hub" if you are freeroaming.

zroid

Banned
You mean they get easier after Sly 1? lol

I already thought that game was super easy. I can have a perfectly good time with non-challenging games though, so it's not really a problem.

VanWinkle

I just loved roaming about Sly 2's environments. Always great fun. Certainly my comfort series.

It follows the Sly 2 formula. Although, keep in mind, this is just a demo, so it's basically just showing a TINY mission with a short section from each character. You know how some action movies (I think the Mission Impossible and maybe Bond movies did it) have a little cool scene they set up and something cool happens before the title screen and credits starts? This demo is like that little beginning scene.

Derrick01

Banned
You mean they get easier after Sly 1? lol

I already thought that game was super easy. I can have a perfectly good time with non-challenging games though, so it's not really a problem.

They do. You'll actually miss dying in 1 hit after playing 2 and 3.

Although those games have more egregious issues than that. The increased focus on minigames and friends mostly.

Spiegel

Well, I finally got a Vita a few days ago. Those PS+ games were staring at me every time I looked at my download list and I'm weak.

Got a nice deal and I just bought the MGS HD Collection and a 16 GB card, so I think I'm set for now.

I just hope Motorstorm and Sound Shapes get discounted or added to PS+ soon.

Hanmik

It follows the Sly 2 formula. Although, keep in mind, this is just a demo, so it's basically just showing a TINY mission with a short section from each character. You know how some action movies (I think the Mission Impossible and maybe Bond movies did it) have a little cool scene they set up and something cool happens before the title screen and credits starts? This demo is like that little beginning scene.

Jut watched a "lets play" about Sly 2.. and damn that is actually alot like sly 4. You have a hub, and an overworld with the same kind of mission structure..

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
not expecting a big day on the news front after yesterday and before tomorrow...but i've become a fiend for vita info - esp from following this thread so closely.

Noi

They do. You'll actually miss dying in 1 hit after playing 2 and 3.

Although those games have more egregious issues than that. The increased focus on minigames and friends mostly.

My biggest issues with Sly 2 are it's awful hub word design and how it lasts way longer than it needs to. You know your game has issues when it takes mote effort to go back to the base to swap characters than it does beating some missions.

can anyone comment on the current state of madden on vita? i know it was a mess when it was released with slowdown during cutscenes, out of data rosters, etc...

on sale with ps plus for $20. have any of the issues been addressed? recommend or no?

Jut watched a "lets play" about Sly 2.. and damn that is actually alot like sly 4. You have a hub, and an overworld with the same kind of mission structure..

Hey Hanmik I know you only played the Vita version but is there a cross-save/trophy unlock like in titles such as Motorstorm RC and Sound Shapes, or do we need to collect the trophies separately for both titles like in Playstation All Stars?

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
What are some good early Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus combos? I keeping getting killed on Normal mode. >.<

I remember abusing this move called ... the flying swallow I think? It is on the xbox orignial though. basically you just jump around and decapitate people. I remember breezing through the game with it on normal difficulty, then I found out people were saying the game was actually hard. I was like "what the hell are you talking about?"

Hanmik

Hey Hanmik I know you only played the Vita version but is there a cross-save/trophy unlock like in titles such as Motorstorm RC and Sound Shapes, or do we need to collect the trophies separately for both titles like in Playstation All Stars?

as far as I know this is like Motorstorm RC.. only have to get trophies in one of the games.

there is a big "cross save" button on the menu screen.. ;o)

btw. I have lots of good tips to get the trophies ALOT easier..

as far as I know this is like Motorstorm RC.. only have to get trophies in one of the games.

there is a big "cross save" button on the menu screen.. ;o)

btw. I have lots of good tips to get the trophies ALOT easier..

F YEAH !

We'll be counting on you in the Vita & trophy threads! ;)

VanWinkle

They share the same trophy set.

Caoz

Well, I finally got a Vita a few days ago. Those PS+ games were staring at me every time I looked at my download list and I'm weak.

Got a nice deal and I just bought the MGS HD Collection and a 16 GB card, so I think I'm set for now.

I just hope Motorstorm and Sound Shapes get discounted or added to PS+ soon.

I think Motorstorm is more than worth the $5 they ask for it. I found it more enjoyable that the Sonic game and it looks great.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Nope. If Sly stays the same forever i'd gladly buy it forever.

yeah I don't blame you,I know people who are buying the same damn game for 10 years now (Pokemon fans) good thing they are getting a new game finally.

Infamous was originally Sly 4 no?I remember reading it somewhere, and if I'm not mistaken about this then even Sucker Punch knew they need to change many things they know the change is needed.

Top Bottom