• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wanted to attend the party but wasn't invited: ZOE 2nd Runner

I rented the original ZOE back when it came out, and liked it well enough despite its many problems. I thought the sequel looked like a huge improvement, and it got much better reviews, but none of my local rental stores had a copy except the hated Blockbuster. Grrr. I finally gave in and rented it from BB.

Like Omega...something (the PSone mech shooter that ran on Gran Turismo's engine), ZOE 2 is worth playing just for the graphics. They are ASTOUNDING. Much respect for PS2. But it's also a fun game with some cool scenarios and a lot of great extras, even if the story sucks and some of the missions are frustrating more than fun.

The camera is a bit more manageable than in the original game, but it's still hard to tell what's going on much of the time. Button-mashing will win battles and get you killed in equal measures, so there's not a clear sense of learning the combat system and improving in skill. The homing laser attack is very cool...I don't think that was in the first game? The other big addition is new grab moves, which let you bash one enemy into another and even do a wind-up pitch across the level. Cool stuff indeed. Later in the game, you learn a new move called Zero Shift, which is a teleport that makes combat a lot faster and very easy against normal enemies.

The extras are amazing, which makes up for the story mode being so-so and fairly short. EX Missions let you try out the different mech forms in all kinds of combat situations, sort of like VR missions but for after you beat the normal game. One special EX Mission lets you play as Vic Viper (which shows up as a boss and supporting character in the story mode) in a 3D Gradius mini-game, called Zoradius. Awesome. Then there's the VS mode, which seems to be more balanced and generally more interesting than in the first game. I've got a buddy coming over with a second controller tonight, and we're going to really test it out. I did a practice run with Vic Viper, and I think it's going to be a lot of fun.

No love for this game? Sad.

I forgot to mention the destructible environments, they are great. And Konami got rid of the stupid overworld structure from the first game, so the story mode is more linear and has no filler missions.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This game has recieved tons of love, everybody already left the party and are currently sleeping off the hangover. :p

Seriously, though, the game was quite good...but I found the pacing to be rather poor, the dialog to be terrible, and the camera zoomed in much too far. Other than that, I loved it.

fbcamp

Banned
this games getting no love from me at least. ZOE's camera is one of the worst I've ever seen in any game. It not only caused me serious mental trauma, and a broken controller, but it also lead to severe tooth pain after I bit the controller several times in frustration.

Top Bottom