• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WAPO: North Korea has successfully produced a miniaturized nuclear warhead

KHarvey16

I hope you'll understand my reluctance to believe US intelligence officials when they claim a foreign country has weapons of mass destruction at their disposal. America is the last country in the world I would consider trusting on this matter.

Literally the last country?

Maxim726X

I don't distrust Japan in the same way, but it would be good to get this information from a country that does not have a history of war with the nation being investigated...or maybe...maybe the UN. Could that not be their job?

Yes, the WaPo has had a long, storied history of military conflict with North Korea.

Oriel

Why are they impossible to intercept? Is it because of the speed at which they move?

Yeah, a MIRV re-entry vehicle approaches 7km/s in its terninal phase, making it near impossible to intercept. Also counter-measures like dummy re-entry vehicles are utilised to fool ABM systems. Though it's doubtful NK has developed this yet.

Literally the last country?

I can't think of too many other countries that have caused the kind of large scale war due to lying to it's citizens about another country having WMD's that the US has. I'm sure you'll name one though, and I'm more than open minded to hearing the other countries I am forgetting.

Hari Seldon

How is North Korea so advanced given they are so isolated and have sanctions up the ass. Much of it has to do with China right?

That is not that advanced. That is literally 55 year old technology. In the age of cheap super computing and massive free knowledge all over the internet, combined with hacking, any state that wants a nuke can get one provided that they can get the materials that they need.

Goldmund

The self-evidence with which some people consider "dealing with them" (militarily) or "taking them out" whenever a thread like this pops up is grotesque. If you think in terms of natural justice, you already are the very thing that you fear a nuclear North Korea will become.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
The North Korean physicists and engineers are brilliant, the US won't attack NK now.

The Russian physicists and engineers might be the brilliant ones here.

I can't decide if I want to distance myself from this conspiracy theory or not.

6wn5Wht.jpg

Barzul

That is not that advanced. That is literally 55 year old technology. In the age of cheap super computing and massive free knowledge all over the internet, combined with hacking, any state that wants a nuke can get one provided that they can get the materials that they need.

Does NK have the natural resources for nuclear material or they get it via the black market?

Hoping generals will keep the president from military action is like hoping a drug addict won't do drugs.

There are countless examples during the cold war where generals were advocating for a nuclear first strike on the soviet union

A preemptive strike on NK is highly unlikely.

Yes, the WaPo has had a long, storied history of military conflict with North Korea.

The WaPO is reporting what US intelligence officials have stated, which they also reported on when they were told Iraq had WMD's. I'm not saying the WaPo is lying about what they heard, just that MAYBE the information they were provided by US intelligence could be inaccurate. How could anyone who is over 20 years old not find this within the realm of possibility?

Why can't people just be open minded about the fact that you were lied to about this within recent memory, and maybe just be a little skeptical? I'm not saying it's not true, I'm just saying, you shouldn't automatically believe it is just because you're told so.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
I'm not even a little bit worried about this situation. All eyes are on NK right now. They fire a missile intended to start a war I can't see it making it very far before it's blown out of the sky, and then it's gonna be bye bye North Korea. If Kim Jong gives even an ounce of shit about his people, we won't do anything.

The WaPO is reporting what US intelligence officials have stated, which they also reported on when they were told Iraq had WMD's. I'm not saying the WaPo is lying about what they heard, just that MAYBE the information they were provided by US intelligence could be inaccurate. How could anyone who is over 20 years old not find this within the realm of possibility?

Why can't people just be open minded about the fact that you were lied to about this within recent memory, and maybe just be a little skeptical? I'm not saying it's not true, I'm just saying, you shouldn't automatically believe it is just because you're told so.

True, but unlike Iraq, North Korea has actually demonstrated the ability to developed Nuclear weapons and ICBMs. It was just a matter of miniturization.

KHarvey16

I can't think of too many other countries that have caused the kind of large scale war due to lying to it's citizens about another country having WMD's that the US has. I'm sure you'll name one though, and I'm more than open minded to hearing the other countries I am forgetting.

Politicians lied and misrepresented the assessments of the intelligence community.

Also there's a lot of countries in the world. Saying you trust every one of them more than the US here is a bit bizarre.

North Korea (and sadly South Korea ) would be wiped off the face of the earth in 1 day if they get anywhere near the USA with a nuke.

And they know it too. They're aiming for some leverage that they will not get because their ruse is obvious, it's like they're a horny teenager playing Risk against a girl with huge tits. The strategy on the game is obvious and the subliminal one is even more transparent.

darscot

Politicians lied and misrepresented the assessments of the intelligence community.

Also there's a lot of countries in the world. Saying you trust every one of them more than the US here is a bit bizarre.

Is it really? I don't think you understand the optics of the US from the outside looking in.

Purkake4

Banned
Yeah, a MIRV re-entry vehicle approaches 7km/s in its terninal phase, making it near impossible to intercept. Also counter-measures like dummy re-entry vehicles are utilised to fool ABM systems. Though it's doubtful NK has developed this yet.
Pretty sure there's a few steps between miniturization and MIRVs.

This is like a real life game of Civ. Did we learn anything from playing Civ? What can we do? Cultural win?

I mean, if you were a Civ surrounded on all sides by other stronger and more populous Civs that will destroy your capital at a moment's notice, but happened to get the Nuclear Warfare unlock, what would you do?

KHarvey16

Is it really? I don't think you understand the optics of the US from the outside looking in.

Yeah it is really. Perhaps the Somali intelligence agency is better than I thought, or maybe Micronesia has insights we didn't expect, but I am doubtful.

Jakoo

I only trust NK intel from Vatican City and Liechtenstein myself.

boiled goose

good with gravy
This is scary. Not because of claims but because our media is beating the drums of war.

I dont trust wapo or nyt here. Remember Iraq anyone?

hey guys, when we give NK a seat at the big kids table and they're still threatening to exterminate the US unless demands are met, what then? unless you think the demanor will change once theyrengiven access? like trump changed after becoming potus?

Kthulhu

This is scary. Not because of claims but because our media is beating the drums of war.

I dont trust wapo or nyt here. Remember Iraq anyone?

I haven't seen anyone advocate for war so far. Bunch of drama queens ITT.

Iraq was a entirely different scenario. The American people don't desire war.

What you should be worried about is the nuclear proliferation that will happen in SE Asia as a result of this.

boiled goose

good with gravy
hey guys, when we give NK a seat at the big kids table and they're still threatening to exterminate the US unless demands are met, what then? unless you think the demanor will change once theyrengiven access? like trump changed after becoming potus?

That's not how it works.

Top Bottom