• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Warcraft' Movie Post-Production |OT| 20 months of...hype? Maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finaj

I feel like they're trying to market it like a 300 movie. Not sure why.

That second trailer is a mystery at this point. The only other films I can see it being released with is Jungle Book or The Huntsman at this point.

kanuuna

They just tweeted this. I don't even know what they're going for with marketing like this

This and that Garona poster/whatever make the marketing team behind this film look confused. Nothing about this says Warcraft and none of these match the previous marketing material. This looks like it was taken straight out of Deviant Art, or like it was a hockey promo.

Finaj

Duncan Jones said that they didn't really know how to market the film and it shows. Even he dislikes some of the song choices in the TV spots.

Respect

They just tweeted this. I don't even know what they're going for with marketing like this

Artists doin work.

6a00e55246b63f8834017616dd01db970c-800wi.jpg

Loxley

I'm getting a very bad feeling about this movie all of a sudden.

The marketing is doing the film absolutely no favors whatsoever, but given the talent involved and Jones' passion for the source material, I remain optimistic the film itself will be solid.

I think you need to be a fan to really appreciate this movie. It's going to be interesting to see how many of the people seeing this actually know what the fuck Warcraft is.

I mean, hopefully non core fans can appreciate the movie as a movie..otherwise..

Duncan has shown his disdain for the marketing over twitter.

https://twitter.com/ManMadeMoon/status/711276106117087232

Yeah, the marketing has been a mess.

Legendary & Universal.. hmm. I wonder if they got the same marketing house that did Jurassic World to do this.. I equally disliked that marketing campaign (other than the 'viral' websites).

Zackat

Well this is depressing. Blizzard would do a better job than this marketing Legendary/Universals movie. Speaking of which Blizzard hasn't done much themselves other than Blizzcon.

frontovik

Banned
I wonder how the critics will review this? I hope Blizzard doesn't expect this to beat Avatar, Star Wars, or Lord of the Rings.

I am sure it will do well, but I doubt that it would be a smashing box office hit.

CassSept

China is still going to save this but christ, this movie's chances in the west are looking worse and worse as we approach the release.

Nokterian

I mean, hopefully non core fans can appreciate the movie as a movie..otherwise..

Yeah, the marketing has been a mess.

Legendary & Universal.. hmm. I wonder if they got the same marketing house that did Jurassic World to do this.. I equally disliked that marketing campaign (other than the 'viral' websites).

Clearly marketing never played any warcraft game and not knowing how to approach it's audience but people at legendary played WoW among others same as the actors and director. They need to learn not to promote the movie this way..

Yeah I just don't understand how they're marketing so poorly. There's been a bunch of wow expansions, and they all had tons of banners and icons and commercials and shit, why not just copy those? It's not hard to make look cool. Why does it look like they're trying to make it comic book-y?

Loxley

Ced30d5XEAAsHX1.jpg:large

I'm impressed with Duncan Jones' confidence towards this film.

It's been funny watching him re-tweet articles talking about how Assassin's Creed will hopefully be the first truly good video game movie with the reply of *Ahem*.

Finaj

It's been funny watching him re-tweet articles talking about how Assassin's Creed will hopefully be the first truly good video game movie with the reply of *Ahem*.

A good portion of the internet carries that opinion for reasons I don't quite understand. We haven't even seen moving footage of AC yet.

CassSept

If anything, we can bet on Assassin's Creed being visually impressive since the AssCreed crew is virtually the same to the team behind the recent Macbeth movie. Which was a flawed, but thoroughly stunning effort.

Honestly, if it were any other director I would be laughing about the whole thing and peg it at 13% RT. But...Duncan Jones guys. He deserves our benefit of the doubt. Moon is one of the best movies I've seen in the past 10 years. I've rewatched it maybe half a dozen times. He absolutely knows how to build scene, create exposition and stay away from forced, tacky and hacky shit. Source code falls in the same category and a worthy follow-up, but Moon will always stay close to me. It was a home run. Him being so confident about it inspires much hype. Even though the marketing is falling on it's ass with poorly cut trailers using generic high fantasy template and equally horrible posters, Jones has no control over it. I really think he's gonna make the whole thing work. I have faith in him.

Honestly, if it were any other director I would be laughing about the whole thing and peg it at 13% RT. But...Duncan Jones guys. He deserves our benefit of the doubt. Moon is one of the best movies I've seen in the past 10 years. I've rewatched it maybe half a dozen times. He absolutely knows how to build scene, create exposition and stay away from forced, tacky and hacky shit. Source code falls in the same category and a worthy follow-up, but Moon will always stay close to me. It was a home run. Him being so confident about it inspires much hype. Even though the marketing is falling on it's ass with poorly cut trailers using generic high fantasy template and equally horrible posters, Jones has no control over it. I really think he's gonna make the whole thing work. I have faith in him.

I love moon and I agree that it's one of my favourite films of the past 10 years. Source code was ok but nothing special. I don't know that I see anything in those films that makes me confident he can pull of a fantasy epic whilst also trying to cater to the dedicated video game audience. They're completely different beasts. His confidence doesn't give me any faith in the project. It wouldn't be the first time a director has had faith in a product that turned out awful. So far the footage of this movie looks pretty terrible and I'm not convinced it's just bad marketing. The cgi, dialogue and what little they show of the plot sound terrible and generic. Until they show something that makes the movie look good I think i'll be keeping my expectations very low.

Edit: What made moon was their ability to work with a small budget. They approached the movie in a really creative and intimate manner. It's the complete opposite of a movie like warcraft.

Finaj

There's one thing that marketing has done right; avoiding spoilers. Unfortunately, the spoilers and plot twists of the First War are a good part of what make it interesting.

-griffy-

Banned
What's killing the trailers for me is that it's so obvious they are pulling dialog from disparate scenes and cutting it together in such a clunky way. They are literally putting dialog from one scene over a shot of the actor speaking in a different scene so the mouths aren't even matching up, and they end up showing half a second of an actor before dissolving away to try and force the dialog to match up. It makes it look bad and also makes it impossible to judge the performances or what's even going on. If we could actually see a full scene in proper context I feel we'd have a much better idea what the movie actually is.

EDIT: Now that I'm thinking about it, they should be marketing this like Lord of the Rings and Avatar. Like they are bringing this fantastical world to life for "real" and the audience gets to visit it and how amazing is this place with these characters and creatures and environments. Even look at the trailers for the new Jungle Book, which is essentially doing that. Instead they are pushing the most generic of the generic stuff to the front with "We must save our people" and "We can't trust these monsters."

A good portion of the internet carries that opinion for reasons I don't quite understand. We haven't even seen moving footage of AC yet.

No, but it does have a talented director, phenomenal DP and a really impressive cast. Those are not a bad thing to begin with.

jett

D-Member

lol poor Duncan.

I have faith he will deliver something well-made and enjoyable at the least.

CassSept

And the cast for warcraft isn't impressive? They got a lot of huge names in it and same thing with the director.

It's not really comparable, Assassin's Creed has Fassbender and Cotillard in leading roles and Jeremy Irons in a supporting role. It's not the same league.

Finaj

I think it's better for a film like Warcraft to have lesser known actors, but that's just my opinion. When there were casting rumors, Johnny Depp was rumored to star. I feel big, iconic actors tend to distract from the world and story being told.

Spectacular marketing at work. "Alliance vs Horde." It's 2 orcs fighting.

https://twitter.com/warcraftmovie/status/713791235450798080

Then again, that gif of Durotan beating the crap out of Gul'dan will never not be awesome.

strafer

I wish they went the Black Flag route with the AssCreed movie.

Tropical areas are more fun and interesting than desert shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom