• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Warcraft' Movie Post-Production |OT| 20 months of...hype? Maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't played WoW in years but I can't wait for this.

FeD.nL

I can't see this catching on outside of Warcraft fans. The branding has a stigma attached to it that it's only for geeks. The south park episode awhile back is basically how the general audience thinks a fan of warcraft is like and they want no part of it. Not saying the PR department can't overcome the preconception....but it's going to be a challenge.

That being said, the director is legit and the concept art looks pretty good. I hope this is the first videogame movie that's actually decent.

Hearthstone has made the brand a lot more accessible as witnessed by the numbers it has been pulling.

Seriously the only thing the first teaser has to do is end with Orgrim raising Doomhammer and yelling "for the horde".

But i'm more hyped for this film than any other coming out. Lothar might be casted a bit young but I think Travis Fimmel has no problem capturing the spirit of the character.

CassSept

OK we are a year out.

Any rumors on trailers/teasers?

I'm thinking a teaser trailer at Comic-Con and the full-blown theatrical trailer at BlizzCon - probably with a panel featuring Jones and the cast.

No rumors, but this seems to be the most reasonable guess. Comic-Con with teaser 4 months before BlizzCon, full-blown trailer at BlizzCon 4 months prior to the release of the movie. Pretty late, yes, but there's no event in between that would make sense to reveal it.

FeD.nL

All the horde casting apart from Brown and Patton seem like misses, but I guess with almost two years of post-production they have plenty of time to beef those orcs up.

I wouldn't worry about the orcs idd.

mXIEF2k.png

Dalaran, stormwind, Orgrim, Durotan etc all done by ILM and probably Blizzard's CG studio also helping out. Just 11 months to go.

I really hope the marketing dpt will be on point because in between the Superhero and Sci-fi films this one might really pull some good numbers. I still think that there is a huge market for a big fantasy epic. I don't really count Seventh Son as an indicator for Warcraft since it was, in my eyes, marketed more as YA film.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Think Warhammer, only almost identical to Warhammer.

It's really a Warhammer movie.

The only real different change is that Orcs aren't comical-evil.
I can't see this catching on outside of Warcraft fans. The branding has a stigma attached to it that it's only for geeks. The south park episode awhile back is basically how the general audience thinks a fan of warcraft is like and they want no part of it. Not saying the PR department can't overcome the preconception....but it's going to be a challenge.

That being said, the director is legit and the concept art looks pretty good. I hope this is the first videogame movie that's actually decent.

I don't know, anyone that plays a MobA, Hearthstone or Warcraft should be in the bag for this.

That's basically half the male 13-25 demographic. They'll preach the word.

FeD.nL

I can't find it in this thread but here is an interview with Duncan Jones earlier this year where he goes into some details.

This part has me especially hyped

When I went to talk to Chris Metzen and the guys at Blizzard, we both saw things the same way. A Warcraft film should not be about a good race of humans battling an evil race of Orcs! Warcraft should be about heroes on both sides trying to avoid a conflict, when villains leave them no choice.

Necrovoker

Neo Member
Can't wait for this movie. I've been dreaming for a Warcraft movie since my childhood! I'm really glad they're going with the Warcraft I storyline, and that it's aiming for faction neutrality (I'm an ally myself but I still love myself some orcs!).

Still mad the first trailer was exclusive to Blizzcon, but I guess we can expect at least a teaser by the end of summer.

Loxley

I wouldn't worry about the orcs idd.

mXIEF2k.png

Dalaran, stormwind, Orgrim, Durotan etc all done by ILM and probably Blizzard's CG studio also helping out. Just 11 months to go.hjn8u v72w

I really hope the marketing dpt will be on point because in between the Superhero and Sci-fi films this one might really pull some good numbers. I still think that there is a huge market for a big fantasy epic. I don't really count Seventh Son as an indicator for Warcraft since it was, in my eyes, marketed more as YA film.

Jones has been hyping up ILM's work on the film for quite a while now - I'm really excited to see what they've come up with. Also, considering the fact that each of the Hobbit films made around a billion dollars a piece, there's definitely an appetite for big fantasy epics. I think this movie is a real dark horse for next year. It'll certainly benefit from being the first real blockbuster of the year, plus the 18-35 crowd will likely be yearning for something to see in the weeks leading up to the release of BvS.

Shaanyboi

Banned
TIAJAOU.png

Looks like they are moving it away from BvS

Well that's a drastically better release date than two weeks prior to Batman v Superman cutting off its legs.

edit: actually, looking at the release list, Summer 2016 looks like a bloodbath. Damn, there is no safe weekend.

Fuchsdh

Well that's a drastically better release date than two weeks prior to Batman v Superman cutting off its legs.

edit: actually, looking at the release list, Summer 2016 looks like a bloodbath. Damn, there is no safe weekend.

It's summer. There never will be safe weekends for any film. If you're a blockbuster you at least have a chance.

Jones has been hyping up ILM's work on the film for quite a while now - I'm really excited to see what they've come up with. Also, considering the fact that each of the Hobbit films made around a billion dollars a piece, there's definitely an appetite for big fantasy epics. I think this movie is a real dark horse for next year. It'll certainly benefit from being the first real blockbuster of the year, plus the 18-35 crowd will likely be yearning for something to see in the weeks leading up to the release of BvS.

You really don't have to hype ILM. They are basically the GOAT effects studio.

Loxley

So now Warcraft will (supposedly) be opening the same weekend as the Uncharted movie - but I will eat my hat if that movie even ends up getting made. But it's also up against The Conjuring 2 and Now You See Me 2. I can't see much crossover there in terms of an audience, so it looks like it should be pretty safe.

Ugh, make that 23 months of post-production. The wait continues...

Sulik2

Its going to be very interesting to see what an effects house does when they aren't working at such a frantic pace they are finishing up the final renders hours before the movie needs to be printed.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

A move in release dates does not necessarily mean more time in post-production. It's very common for work to still end at the original scheduled time, and the studio just sits on the movie until release.

This is what happened with the first Star Trek reboot - the movie release was moved from Dec 08 to May 09, but ILM wasn't given extra time, they still finished as if the movie was releasing in Dec.

I've never understood how marvel is able to get their movies out so quickly and yet other studios seem like they take twice as long for post production. Seems like ultron/star wars/warcraft and bvs all started filming at the same time.

jotun?

They should do a remake of Warcraft: Orcs & Humans to go along with this. It was a good game at the time, but the interface has aged so poorly that it's painful to try to play it now

The wait for this film is unbearable, mostly because I have a feeling as soon as the credits roll I will start waiting for the next one.

Looking forward to marathoning Duncan Jones's Warcraft hexalogy in 2030.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I've never understood how marvel is able to get their movies out so quickly and yet other studios seem like they take twice as long for post production. Seems like ultron/star wars/warcraft and bvs all started filming at the same time.
The Marvel Machine is fairly well-oiled at this point. They've got their pipeline set.

BvS was delayed because the script was getting redone. This would've pushed it out of a comfortable release date, and so they just said "fuck it, release it the year after."

Warcraft requires an insane amount of post-production.

Loxley

A move in release dates does not necessarily mean more time in post-production. It's very common for work to still end at the original scheduled time, and the studio just sits on the movie until release.

This is what happened with the first Star Trek reboot - the movie release was moved from Dec 08 to May 09, but ILM wasn't given extra time, they still finished as if the movie was releasing in Dec.

Oh, I know that. I was referring more to the window between the movie finishing principle photography and to it's eventual release increasing, not literally the amount of time ILM will be working on the effects.

So we'll get a trailer
and an announcement for RTS Warcraft 4
at Blizzcon right?

If not that, certainly the Warcraft 3 HD remaster everyone has been absolutely positive is totally happening.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
So now Warcraft will (supposedly) be opening the same weekend as the Uncharted movie - but I will eat my hat if that movie even ends up getting made. But it's also up against The Conjuring 2 and Now You See Me 2. I can't see much crossover there in terms of an audience, so it looks like it should be pretty safe.

Unless its a heap of junk Warcraft will Slaughter its opening weekend it really is a well done story / universe with entertaining characters nations etc etc. The best part is using all that goodness from the RTS.

I can't wait for the end of this first movie in which the King of Leordaron shows everyone his new son....Arthas! mwuahahahahahaaaa.

FoneBone

Well, there's very little chance of Uncharted making its current date (there's been no casting, let alone a start date for filming, unless I missed something), so Legendary is safe on that front.

mr stroke

Fuck I hope the movie doesn't get barried in the summer realse schedule

If I had to bet it gets moved to Aug or Dec 2016

FeD.nL

Why :(((. They should have just released it this fall. There is no big fantasy film and fall/winter would work wonders. Ok there is Star Wars but all this delaying doesn't do the film any favors.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Why :(((. They should have just released it this fall. There is no big fantasy film and fall/winter would work wonders.

You want to give them less time on an effects heavy movie? Given how busy ILM is, cutting their schedule/budget is the last thing you want to do.

Circinus

On the same day as Uncharted now? That's going to be interesting, two blockbuster films based on video game franchise.

Anyway, looking forward to both Warcraft and Uncharted. ^.^

And Ratchet & Clank this year. :)

FeD.nL

You want to give them less time on an effects heavy movie? Given how busy ILM is, cutting their schedule/budget is the last thing you want to do.

Well the first delay was to avoid Star Wars. But I agree it probably was the fanboy in me that got the better of me, I just cannot wait to see it.

Nugg

The release date is now officially more than ten years after the announcement of the movie. Blizzard made the deal with Legendary back in May 2006.

Nokterian

The release date is now officially more than ten years after the announcement of the movie. Blizzard made the deal with Legendary back in May 2006.

Development of a movie in this magnitude takes a lot of time. Finding the lay line what fans want to see and what the director also wants..thank god Duncan Jones is doing it he knows warcraft also as a gamer and a lot of the lore. Also adding that a lot of people working at legendary have a lot of knowledge of warcraft. I think this movie is going to be great when they showed the different armor/props and stuff at blizzcon it will please fans and to me one of the best game adoptions to a movie in a long time.

Kain

Yep, sounds like Blizzard.

The thing I'm most excited about is that Jones seems to be doing what he wants, and that is a 50-50% Alliance/Horde thing with the first game at its core. If you have played Warcraft 1 you know what that means, and doing an ending like that takes guts in this modern Hollywood.

Nugg

Development of a movie in this magnitude takes a lot of time. Finding the lay line what fans want to see and what the director also wants..thank god Duncan Jones is doing it he knows warcraft also as a gamer and a lot of the lore. Also adding that a lot of people working at legendary have a lot of knowledge of warcraft. I think this movie is going to be great when they showed the different armor/props and stuff at blizzcon it will please fans and to me one of the best game adoptions to a movie in a long time.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing. It's just quite the milestone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom