• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warcraft |OT| You Are Not Prepared

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

Took a peek into a room showing it today on my way to see civil war with my girlfriend. The showing had literally 8 people in it. I didn't even know it was out till I got to the theater.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
I saw it yesterday. My opinion is like the others, mediocre with the harsh criticism being a bit too much.

It definitely could have used another 30 minutes and some breathing time. The editing was rough as hell, for instance the last fight against Medivh had them jumping around all over the place without seeing them move anywhere. It was really bad.

Really hope there's a sequel as they did the world justice and there's definitely a good movie hiding underneath the rubbish.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Just saw it.
First time this season I disagreed with the reviewers. Solid movie, much better than what the reviews are implying. Better story, execution, (overall) better acting than most of BvS and Apocalypse, much more interesting and engaging characters than the aforementioned movies, plus a technical and visual marvel. Best visuals I have seen in my life.

Don't know where the hate is coming from.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Just saw it.
First time this season I disagreed with the reviewers. Solid movie, much better than what the reviews are implying. Better story, execution, (overall) better acting than most of BvS and Apocalypse, much more interesting and engaging characters than the aforementioned movies, plus a technical and visual marvel. Best visuals I have seen in my life.

Don't know where the hate is coming from.

I'm sorry...

The rest of your review is fine, even if I'm not entirely on board, but really? Best visuals ever? That's pure hyperbole, surely?

Man, I know it's been said already, but why couldn't they have just done the whole thing in cg? The live action actors didn't totally ruin it or anything, but seeing how well the orcs came i really don't see what the point of having actual humans on screen was.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I'm sorry...

The rest of your review is fine, even if I'm not entirely on board, but really? Best visuals ever? That's pure hyperbole, surely?
Dunno, sure as shit seemed that way to me. The 3d depth of field was amazing and seamless. The detail and articulation of the orcs was unlike anything I've seen before. All the artificial settings and scenery were also top notch and incredibly detailed.

Also yo I've never been more confused than when people in the audience clapped at the end of the movie

There were like, ten people in the theater, chill your bill

Volimar

I'm sorry...

Most of the visuals were fantastic. The orcs were very well done and the magic was completely believable.

I'm sorry...

It's not. The orcs are a work of marvel. Nothing comes close to them.

Also yo I've never been more confused than when people in the audience clapped at the end of the movie

There were like, ten people in the theater, chill your bill

Fanbois gonna fanboi. :)

Man, I know it's been said already, but why couldn't they have just done the whole thing in cg? The live action actors didn't totally ruin it or anything, but seeing how well the orcs came i really don't see what the point of having actual humans on screen was.

Blame the average movie goer. People think animation is for kids, and so a mature animated movie just doesn't sell tickets. Doesn't matter if the movie is 99% cgi though, as long as you got a live action face or two in there then it's not animation.

Dunno, sure as shit seemed that way to me. The 3d depth of field was amazing and seamless. The detail and articulation of the orcs was unlike anything I've seen before. All the artificial settings and scenery were also top notch and incredibly detailed.

The cg was goof but the sets and props looked so bad.

Like when king lane was marching to war though the streets, it felt do fake and dead, it just brought the 'this is a set' to the front of my mind, something that doesn't happen to me at all normally in movies.

Like when king lane was marching to war though the streets, it felt do fake and dead, it just brought the 'this is a set' to the front of my mind, something that doesn't happen to me at all normally in movies.

Yep. Green screen would have more consistent with the cgi.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Loved it.
Felt a bit dungeon and dragons at times but I fully enjoyed it and hope we get more.

you take that back now!

I've only seen it once, but I remember being one of three movies I was ever tempted to walk out of the theater during. Horrible movie.

zelas

Saw the movie thanks to T-mobile. I don't know anything about warcraft except "job's done" but it was entertaining enough as a medieval warfare movie. I would pay to see the unlikely sequel.

wildfire

Banned
Well you guys in this last page saw it positively.

I found out to be consistently average and that's not good. It's not bad either. It was totally pedestrian.

The cgi was great even if the orc design blizzard went with is somewhat over the top.

Seeing orcs now make me less interested in seeing Space Marines or Clan Elementals.

The acting and music was disconnected from the writing.

The emotional punches they were going for were never earned.

The back stories on every character was too shallow and the way they interacted with each other had little semblance of moral guided logic.

The action was serviceable.

Thrall was cute.

I've been waiting for a Warcraft movie since the WC3 days, it's unfortunate that it's looking like this isn't going to be the amazing success I had hoped it would be. I still feel that the Warcraft universe has the potential to be an awesome movie franchise.

Even with the negative reviews I'm still very excited to see it, and at least it seems like most non critics like it, its audience score is currently at 83% on rotten tomatoes. Don't think I've ever seen that big of a difference between the critic and audience score on RT before.

Houndi101

Impossible to promise anything, but someone I know who only played Hearthstone loved the film and is now playing WoW free trial and contemplating on buying the game.

Ramsiege

About to go watch it in a couple of hours ( thanks t-mobile) I'm cautiously optimistic about it after reading the impressions in this thread.

Enjoyed the movie a lot,
Made me want World of Warcraft on PS4.

I loved how in you face the fantasy stuff felt, compared to Game of Thones and even LOTOR when at times it felt like minor details to the setting.

Saw it last night... it was not good. Even "okay" might be too strong. The entire movie I just wanted to go read the wiki and I'd have been happier.

Poor script and poor acting held together by decent CG and alright action.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Apparently even though the movie's budget was only about ~160 million, it needs to make at least 500 to break even due to marketing? That's kind of bonkers.

TDLink

Apparently even though the movie's budget was only about ~160 million, it needs to make at least 500 to break even due to marketing? That's kind of bonkers.

I can't imagine that's accurate. The marketing has been pretty sparse from what I could tell. I would think it'd need to make around $300 mil to break even.

Finaj

I don't get that.

Pacific Rim, made by the same studio, was more expensive with $190 million in production costs, and only made back $411 million. Yet, it is getting a sequel.

Houndi101

China Box Office ‏@ChinaBoxOffice
WARCRAFT earned est.¥138M ($21.0M) on Saturday (-36% from Friday), China's 4-day total stands at ¥953M ($145.2M

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

Volimar

China Box Office ‏@ChinaBoxOffice
WARCRAFT earned est.¥138M ($21.0M) on Saturday (-36% from Friday), China's 4-day total stands at ¥953M ($145.2M

Anyone can put this into perspective? I heard it was doing well in China. Is this well?

G-Bus

Banned
I enjoyed it. Wasn't amazing or anything but turned out better than I thought it would. Really hope we get a sequel.

Human side of things felt off. Acting wasn't thay great. Didnt like gamora at all. Should have gone cg.

Sets were terrible. Super weird going from awsome cg to mediocre sets. It definitely stood out to me.

TransTrender

Gold Member

Hah, I took a piss at that exact moment and missed the entire scene. I came back when they were doing beauty shots of the army leaving Stormwind. Also, in that particular scene, if you played close attention to one layer of background and one layer of foreground there was some really neat vertigo inducing geometry/perspective artifacts with the panning camera around Khadgar. That was the only issue I saw.

But, I'm focusing on the artificial stuff, the practical stuff was hit or miss.

Negaduck

Yeah I had a good time seeing this. I echo most people's opinions with orcs being amazing, humans are kinda wack.

I really hope that they can do a sequel and bring in a more focused and less rushed (without parts being cut) story.

Would the next part of the story be thrall or the fall of Arthas?

Gimme my dude Zul'jin and the Tauren.

Loxley

Yeah I had a good time seeing this. I echo most people's opinions with orcs being amazing, humans are kinda wack.

I really hope that they can do a sequel and bring in a more focused and less rushed (without parts being cut) story.

Would the next part of the story be thrall or the fall of Arthas?

Gimme my dude Zul'jin and the Tauren.

It would likely cover Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness, which would bring in the Trolls and Tauren. Jones is super-jazzed at the prospect of bringing them in to the fray.

It would likely cover Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness, which would bring in the Trolls and Tauren. Jones is super-jazzed at the prospect of bringing them in to the fray.

I don't remember tauren i warcraft 2 ? It had ogres though, and goblins

Oh and I found the visuals jaw dropping at times. Simply incredible.
Especially many of the times they introduced new locals !.. And the animations.. maaaaan !

I thought Tauren were wc3? Ogres, trolls and gnomes I thought were added in 2. Granted it's been awhile.

Loxley

I don't remember tauren i warcraft 2 ? It had ogres though, and goblins

Oh and I found the visuals jaw dropping at times. Simply incredible.
Especially many of the times they introduced new locals !.. And the animations.. maaaaan !

I thought Tauren were wc3? Ogres, trolls and gnomes I thought were added in 2. Granted it's been awhile.

I guess what Jones said is that he would bring in Tauren and Trolls for the sequel, not that he would be adapting WC2 specifically. My guess is they'll probably play around with the fiction again.

I guess what Jones said is that he would bring in Tauren and Trolls for the sequel, not that he would be adapting WC2 specifically. My guess is they'll probably play around with the fiction again.
Fair enough. I think they could do all of 2 and maybe the first half of 3 in a single film especially since they've already set up Thrall. I wouldn't touch the undead/demon stuff until a potential 3rd film.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Really loved the fight scenes and how brutish and powerful the orcs felt. When an orc hit a weapon, you knew that guy's whole insides just exploded, it was awesome.

Wow this movie was awesome! Really relished it as a WC fan, RTS specifically. Very enjoyable, and surprisingly well done outside a few cringey/too fast scenes

But man the action was on the money for the most part, and there was a great amount of it. Really impressed, can't wait for the sequel!

Best fight was the Mak'gora between Durotan and Gul'dan. Just so brutal and orcish. I wish the in game WoW orcs looked more like the movie orcs, but I guess they'd be too big. They can at least stand up straight.

Effect

Just got out of my screening and I really enjoyed it. I was afraid I'd be the only one there but it was nearly a full house. People just took their time coming in. There was no line though. Good mix of ages too.

Thought the acting and dialogue was good to okay. Could tell in some parts there might have been more filmed. I think enough is explained for those with no knowledge to not be confused. The romance part wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but they could have gone in a different direction with it. I was concerned about the human parts going in but they were really good. Loved the Orc parts especially. Action was good and pretty brutal in parts. The only CGI I had issue with were the the dwarves and elves but they're really only there for less then a minute collectively. So makes sense they'd cheap out there because the rest of the CGI is really good if not great.

Want to see it again and hope it does well enough overseas we get a second one. I also have a very strong desire to reinstall World of Warcraft. Let's see if they last by the time I get home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom