• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warcraft |OT| You Are Not Prepared

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I just watched the bluray and loved it.

Please tell me Warcraft 2 is coming.

The humans all looked like my neighbor doing bad cosplay. Looking up the actors in other stuff made it even more baffling. Hoe did they manage to make every character look so much like Joe from Milwaukee doing local comiccon cosplay???

Finaj

The humans all looked like my neighbor doing bad cosplay. Looking up the actors in other stuff made it even more baffling. Hoe did they manage to make every character look so much like Joe from Milwaukee doing local comiccon cosplay???

*Shrug*

WETA handled all the physical props and they're usually pretty good about that stuff.

This movie should have been at least a half hour longer. It has no room to flesh out the numerous characters. By the end I was onboard and it got me interested in a potential sequel, especially with the direction they are taking
Garona
. But it could have been so much more.

Finaj

This movie should have been at least a half hour longer. It has no room to flesh out the numerous characters. By the end I was onboard and it got me interested in a potential sequel, especially with the direction they are taking
Garona
. But it could have been so much more.

It was supposed to be longer. There's 15 minutes of finished deleted scenes and about 40 minutes total of footage that didn't end up in the film.

It was supposed to be longer. There's 15 minutes of finished deleted scenes and about 40 minutes total of footage that didn't end up in the film.

I know, that's part of why I haven't been in a hurry to watch the movie even though I am a fan of Duncan Jones and the Warcraft universe.

But now that I have actually seen it, I can confirm the movie does feel like it is missing pieces.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
A little off topic, but is there any chance we get a Diablo movie? That would be awesome.

The props are actually really high quality, but it can't avoid looking ridiculous if they want to go with a Warcraft look.

I prefer it to a grimdark generic fantasy adaptation any day. At least the design SCREAMED Warcraft.

TheYanger

Finally saw this a week or two ago... Man what a mess. I'd be curious about the extended original vision, because as it is now the first like forty minutes may as well not exist. None of it makes any sense unless you're intimately familiar with what is going on and the locations, literally one dialogue exchange happens between each scene change for the characters.

strafer

The props are actually really high quality, but it can't avoid looking ridiculous if they want to go with a Warcraft look.

I prefer it to a grimdark generic fantasy adaptation any day. At least the design SCREAMED Warcraft.

Yes. Everything was top notch quality wise, but then the humans happened.

They should just have skipped those and gone for Trolls, Taurens and Undeads.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Yes. Everything was top notch quality wise, but then the humans happened.

They should just have skipped those and gone for Trolls, Taurens and Undeads.

In a world where people threw a fit because Dalaran was already afloat, this would not have gone well.

The costumes were not the problem, most humans having the emotional range of a crash test dummy was the biggest issue.

EYEL1NER

I just watched the movie and came here to see what people were saying. I know it was disliked overall but I'm glad to see some people in here and on this very page who liked it. I thought it was a decent movie; not fantastic, but good.
I have only played a bit of the Warcraft 3 demo when it came out and read a Warcraft artbook. I'm familiar with some of the basic themes of the games and some of the memes. I don't have all that much knowledge of the storyline from the games, but I liked the film's story. Not the most complex story of course, but it was a good fantasy storyline. And I haven't seen a good fantasy movie in a while. It was nice to finally have something besides LotR and GoT.
I thought the CG was very good. I didn't see anything super-shiny and unsettling like The Hobbit's CG. The Orcs had a lot of weight to them and moved really well, it was great mo-cap. The magic looked really cool as well.
There was some bad dialog, I guess, but nothing that left me thinking 'well that was dumb.' Another thing I liked was that there wasn't much humor and no wisecracking or puns like you have in the Marvel movies (not that I dislike the Marvel movies; I love them).

I don't know, that isn't that strong a review. "This was great," "that thing was cool," "they did a decent job with those parts," and etc... I think at times I can write well but I am not good at reviewing things at all. I really did enjoy the movie though and would like to own it at some point. My wife said it wasn't bad also. I know that it didn't do well in the US but it did do pretty well in China and is the biggest video game movie ever, beating out Prince of Persia. I really hope we get a sequel to it.

What I also hope is that a Warhammer movie happens at some point, because as the film started, I thought to myself 'The only green Orcs I want to see are Orks; how much better could this be if Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka, Wazdakka Gutsmek, and Badrukk were in this? WAAAGH!'

T Dollarz

Overall it was weak, but there were some things I liked about it and it had a lot of heart. It wasn't terrible, it just overall didn't achieve its ambitions.

Chris R

I enjoyed it, but that's only because I've played thousands of hours of Warcraft games.

Person who had zero experience to the games thought it was stupid.

Nephtis

I saw the movie and enjoyed it, but that's because I'm already familiar with the source. The movie also assumes that the viewer will be very familiar with the source, and it assumes in particular that you've played Warcraft (not wow).

Even with my familiarity, the film felt distant. Durotan is the only character I could really make a connection with, everyone else was simply fodder except for Gul'dan, who was fantastic. I didn't like how there was so little exposition and the dialogue made little sense. You don't see that twist with
Medivh
because they literally decided to make this come out of left field. There was no transition. Just oh hey! this happened. The actor for Lothar is AMAZING in Vikings, but his lack of emotion falls short in this movie. Garona was... Well, she was interesting for the first 5 minutes.

There's too many characters and zero development. It's like they wanted to bet the entire house on this one film and that's what made the critics hate it so much, even if to most viewers it was ok (not great, not terrible). Focus on a few characters and expose the backstory more. You can bring the focus to characters in later films. The director really dropped the ball here, and I wish Blizzard would've had more influence because they're typically great storytellers.

This movie catered to us gamers heavily but still failed to deliver. I will admit though that I almost wanted to shed a tear the first time I saw a mount.

Just watched it and really enjoyed it!

Really hope there's a sequel, a lot of potential in this movie I hope they have the chance to build upon.

I'd like to get into the Warcraft lore, best way to play the games?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Just watched it and really enjoyed it!

Really hope there's a sequel, a lot of potential in this movie I hope they have the chance to build upon.

I'd like to get into the Warcraft lore, best way to play the games?

i would start with Warcraft 3, then read wowpedia / wowwiki, then play wow.

if warcraft 3 is not an option, play wow and read wowpedia/wowwiki on the things that are interesting to you and click around into other parts of the lore that interest you

gotoadgo

I honestly couldn't even finish this movie. It felt incredibly disjointed and all over the place at times. Didn't like it in the slightest, and this is coming from someone who's played the games and understands what's going on.

TheYanger

i would start with Warcraft 3, then read wowpedia / wowwiki, then play wow.

if warcraft 3 is not an option, play wow and read wowpedia/wowwiki on the things that are interesting to you and click around into other parts of the lore that interest you

This. 1 and 2 are before storytelling was really a thing. They've gone back and made them into 'stories' that make complete sense, and if you REALLY read the mission intros you can get all of that from the games too, but mostly it was just a guy talking at you for 20 seconds to give you an excuse for a new map every level. War 3 on the other hand was extremely cinematic and told a very well liked story.

Appologies for the necro, but im looking to fillout my uhd collection, i never saw this but it seems like the perfect movie to show off hdr with its wide color pallet, did you guys like it? Ive never played the warcraft games but i know a bit about the lore.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I liked it and thought the reviews were unfairly harsh.
The non-human actors had the best performance, good visuals, sounds, pretty good setpieces, and decent overall story.

Woorloog

Banned
Appologies for the necro, but im looking to fillout my uhd collection, i never saw this but it seems like the perfect movie to show off hdr with its wide color pallet, did you guys like it? Ive never played the warcraft games but i know a bit about the lore.

It is messy. Rather flawed, it moves too fast at times, jumps from scene to scene too quickly. An editing issue, probably caused by the fact they never finished CGI for all scenes...
Characters and acting are a hit and miss as well. The orcs are great, the humans are questionable. It has some funny scenes, though those who haven't played Warcraft will miss a joke or two.

It is pretty pretty movie, i loved how colorful it is. While Azeroth is kinda generic "medieval European fantasy", the film does great job depicting that, making "generic" look rather cool.

I think Warcraft fans are the ones who will appreciate it most. Otherwise it is more or less generic fantasy romp... but that happens when you base a film to Warcraft 1 which was about as generic as you could have.

I liked it but then i am a Warcraft fan, at least old-school Warcraft, and the film did capture some of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom