• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warcraft |OT| You Are Not Prepared

Status
Not open for further replies.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Alright, so here are my thoughts...

1. As a Warcraft fan, I thought it was great. I can't remember the last time I played Warcraft 1, so I wasn't too familiar with most of the Human characters from that point.

2. The CGI was fantastic. I was worried that the Orcs were going to hit uncanny valley, but they were just outside of that weirdness zone. The Arcane and magic effects were also really well done.

3. I liked some of the 'easter eggs' and other characters you could notice as a fan of the series. Though, it was kind of strange to see
Grommash
right there doing nothing!

4. Enjoyed the humour in the movie, Warcraft has always had a bit of humour in it so it was good to see this wasn't some sort of fantasy action flick with an always serious tone.

5. Some of the jumps from scene to scene were kind of jarring.

6. If I didn't know Warcraft as well as I do, there was a but of assumed knowledge from the viewers which might be a problem. But, maybe because I have knowledge and could identify certain things that maybe it's not as big of a deal as I think it is.

---

Overall, Warcraft for fans of the series if pretty fantastic, and it does well on its own as a fantasy movie. It has its faults, but to me they were not anything that took me out of the movie or ruined my enjoyment.

strafer

Alright, so here are my thoughts...

1. As a Warcraft fan, I thought it was great. I can't remember the last time I played Warcraft 1, so I wasn't too familiar with most of the Human characters from that point.

2. The CGI was fantastic. I was worried that the Orcs were going to hit uncanny valley, but they were just outside of that weirdness zone. The Arcane and magic effects were also really well done.

3. I liked some of the 'easter eggs' and other characters you could notice as a fan of the series. Though, it was kind of strange to see
Grommash
right there doing nothing!

4. Enjoyed the humour in the movie, Warcraft has always had a bit of humour in it so it was good to see this wasn't some sort of fantasy action flick with an always serious tone.

5. Some of the jumps from scene to scene were kind of jarring.

6. If I didn't know Warcraft as well as I do, there was a but of assumed knowledge from the viewers which might be a problem. But, maybe because I have knowledge and could identify certain things that maybe it's not as big of a deal as I think it is.

---

Overall, Warcraft for fans of the series if pretty fantastic, and it does well on its own as a fantasy movie. It has its faults, but to me they were not anything that took me out of the movie or ruined my enjoyment.

nice :)

strafer

Man, looking back at the Mists cinematic...

rxNF6AN.png

warcraft-movie-durotan-toby-kebbell1.jpg

Interfectum

They could have done orcs back in the day but nothing like these Warcraft specific orcs. They would have had to make them look totally different.

Celegus

As someone who doesn't remember much of a darn thing from the RTS games, only dabbled in WoW for a month, but is at least vaguely familiar with the characters because of Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm, will I be okay? Any kind of primer or things I should know that the movie glosses over?

Houndi101

As someone who doesn't remember much of a darn thing from the RTS games, only dabbled in WoW for a month, but is at least vaguely familiar with the characters because of Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm, will I be okay? Any kind of primer or things I should know that the movie glosses over?
You sound like my friend and he loved it, but I'm not gonna promise you anything.

Also Box Office Mojo:
Warcraft jumped off to a strong start on Thursday evening, hauling in $3.1 million in late night shows in 2,632 theaters, which began at 7:00 PM. It's a number that immediately causes some second guessing based on early estimates as San Andreas brought in the same amount on Thursday evening last May and opened with $54.5 million. Also, Pacific Rim brought in $3.6 million in July of 2013 and opened with $37.2 million. Of course, given the buzz, a better comparison may actually be last year's Fantastic Four, which brought in $2.7 million from Thursday showings, ultimately opening with $25.6 million. The big question is whether this is a sign of things to come or just hardcore fans showing up to see the film the first chance they get. Friday estimates tomorrow morning will flesh the story out much more.

Saya

You'll be fine. It's not very complicated. For the people familiar with the games there are a lot of easter eggs and references to places like Goldshire, Elwynn Forest, etc.

SArcher

Banned
As someone who only played Warcraft 3 a little back in the day I didn't have trouble following the story.

However, the movie has way too many characters and they all have their own arcs. The problem lies in the fact that there just isn't enough time to establish the characters, their motives and relationships sufficiently. As a result the moments that are meant to be impactful lack impact. The editing is a mess too. If they could put back those cut 45 minutes on the DVD then I think it'd be a much better viewing experience (two 2-hour films would probably be the best option though).

The actors did a fine job I think and the characters were all pretty likable. Interestingly enough Jones managed to give real weight to CG characters and when they were beating each other down you felt the punches. In comparison, the cg creatures in the Hobbit movies felt entirely weightless.
I was left a little frustrated at the end because
despite Gul'dan showing himself to be a dishonorable ass twice, the film still ends with the orcs following him. It lessened Durotan's sacrifice imo.

Would give it a 6/10. An extended cut could push the grade to a 7 or an even an 8. Would like to see more films in this world.

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
watched a late night showing after work last night. I enjoyed it for the most part and as someone who played the first 3 games and a little of WOW I appreciate the fan service they provide. but, and this is a big but, as a movie this just doesn't work. all the human actor's performance are just underwhelming and the pacing of the movie is just terrible. whoever decided to to cut 40 minutes out of what it originally should be and whoever did the editing should be fired and never allow work in the film industry again.

I think this film is destined to be a cult classic in 10 years. I wouldnt say its great, but I enjoyed the silliness. Agree that most of the human scenes were awkward. Loved all the little references. And that fishing pole at the end. Had a smile on my face.

No. It's a bad movie. The Hobbits are not going to be cult classics either. These are bad fantasy.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Saw the movie, enjoyed it quite a bit, had a dumb shit eating grin for big chunks of the movie.

My only main gripe with the movie is the editing at the start of the movie, it feels like big chunks were cut out. The average viewer who hasn't played the games will probably be pretty confused at the start since there's not much explanation of what's going on. Didn't need a big info-dump or multiple scenes of exposition but something felt missing, I'm guessing lots of stuff that explained the world got cut out.

Anyway, that's only really an issue for a bit of the movie and the rest was pretty damn entertaining.

[edit]

The CGI orc's acting was amazing, too.

strafer

My only hope is that the directors cut has all the scenes put in and not just deleted scenes on the side. I hate those.

ElyrionX

Just caught it. Never played WoW but did play WC1 to WC3 since young.

I htought it was mildy enjoyable but definitely can see why the film reviewed poorly. Pacing was poor. Writing and dialogue were horrendous. And the movie had so many tired cliches rolled into it. It felt like whatever made the movie good was the source material. Definitely could have used a better director.

Scarecrow

I haven't played any warcraft games. Only related thing I've been exposed to is my room mate jumping around a pit with a few dozen other dudes waiting for some raid to start.

I really enjoyed myself. It was a cool take on fantasy that I don't know much about. I enjoyed its tragic story.

SMattera

Had a lot of fun. It was a lot better than I expected.

Warcraft> Marvel > X Men > BvS

Yeah, I thought the first half of the movie was terrible, but I enjoyed the second half.

Overall, I wouldn't say it was a good movie, but I have no idea how this can get a 26% on RT but Thor 2 can get 67%. Makes 0 sense.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
No. It's a bad movie. The Hobbits are not going to be cult classics either. These are bad fantasy.

The Hobbit films probably won't be remembered very fondly, but the LOTR films will absolutely be actual (non-cult) fantasy classics.

LFG

Neophyte
just got back too. worth the price of admission for the orcs. humans ranged from cringe to meh. i liked it.

The Hobbit films probably won't be remembered very fondly, but the LOTR films will absolutely be actual (non-cult) fantasy classics.

No way Warcraft will get there. It's a bad movie. It's not even good bad. D&D is a cult classic because it's (almost) good bad. LOTR are already classics even though I don't like them

If there's a director's cut with the missing pieces, maybe then. But this theatrical cut is just a horrible mess.

Yeah, I thought the first half of the movie was terrible, but I enjoyed the second half.

Overall, I wouldn't say it was a good movie, but I have no idea how this can get a 26% on RT but Thor 2 can get 67%. Makes 0 sense.

RT stop making any sense after BvS and Fantastic Four.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
No way Warcraft will get there. It's a bad movie. It's not even good bad. D&D is a cult classic because it's (almost) good bad. LOTR are already classics even though I don't like them

If there's a director's cut with the missing pieces, maybe then. But this theatrical cut is just a horrible mess.

I agree with you? I was just commenting on Hobbit vs LOTR. I have no lofty expectations for the long-term appeal of the Warcraft movie.

ryseing

What a mess. I've seen very few movies with obvious cuts like this one has. I'm all for a movie jumping right into the action but when you're introducing a new world at least some exposition is necessary. While I'm not familiar with the Warcraft universe I've enjoyed enough fantasy to be able to catch onto things quickly, but that was a major problem here. The ending is pure sequel bait so there is no sense of closure.

Action was all right I guess? I would have liked to see more magic as that was the stuff I found the most interesting.

Just caught it. Never played WoW but did play WC1 to WC3 since young.

I htought it was mildy enjoyable but definitely can see why the film reviewed poorly. Pacing was poor. Writing and dialogue were horrendous. And the movie had so many tired cliches rolled into it. It felt like whatever made the movie good was the source material. Definitely could have used a better director.

That's the thing. They got a good director. I don't think anyone could have pulled this film together.

Zackat

I just got back. I really enjoyed myself a lot. And while I understand where it got docked for its flaws (it has several flaws) it does not deserve the panning it got imo.

Seeing the world realized after all these years was a real treat, and the orcs look amazing. I liked Gul'dan a lot
(when he was sipping on that guys soul like a martini, God damn)
and thought he was a good, evil villain. I could have used way more Durotan than we got, with a little less Lothar. The human actors were sometimes okay, and sometimes bad. Garona was a little all over the place with how she was interacting with the humans and seemed like she was missing a lot of character building. In fact, it felt like there was a scene missing for most of the characters which is a shame.

The cutting around in the beginning was so weird, not sure how much some of that was even necessary. Seems like it was thrown in there purely for fan service. They went all in right away, which more than likely threw off normal viewers.

I took my mom who likes fantasy movies and wanted to see what my brothers, dad and I have been all crazy about for the past 20 years or so. She liked it even more than I did, take that as you will.

I'll be going with my friends to imax on Sunday and I am excited to see this there.

Nista

I enjoyed the movie, but I honestly could have had the whole thing be an expanded version of the orcs' story and cut the human stuff entirely. It came off as a little bit fake and goofy most of the time, and the jumpy editing didn't help that at all.

Also as a WoW player, I don't know if I can ever take Khadgar's quests seriously anymore. He's such an annoying goofball in the movie.

I'd be curious to see other CG races like Ogres and Taurens in a sequel, mostly because they'd end up being immense in comparison. Movie orcs seem like they are already around the size and bulk of Rexxar.

I thought Guldan's behavior towards the end was out of character, I think he would have manipulated his way out of all that differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom