• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warframe |OT| Ninjas Play Free - PS4

frizby

Before the update, I recommend doing two things:

1. Farm Trinity on Earth before she moves to Phobos
2. Farm Miter and Twin Gremlins on Phobos before they ???

Looks like we will hear about the PS4 update today:

bildschirmfoto2014-01o2u97.png

Better have a fucking FPS fix in it.

Y'know how it was supposed to be in the last patch!

IvorB

I chose Excalibur as my starting frame but am currently leveling a Loki. He's super squishy but a ton of fun. Almost always invisible and smacking dudes with melee for increased damage. The other night while farming Tyl I was often one-shotting him with a charged invisible Galatine strike.

Yeah he is squishy but if things get too hot it's time to cloak and get the hell out of there. Plus if you ever REALLY need to get to extraction, going invisible and legging it never fails. Also decoy in the middle of a group of enemies and they will all turn and try to fight it. You can just massacre at your leisure :). I've got those two mods maxed out now and they are both doing the business.

molnizzle

Playing Warframe in bed with a usable Remote Play button layout? (Whatever I do to it had better be applicable to my Vita!) Sounds incredible. Also, sounds like a dangerous way to keep feeding my addiction. I will be very upset if it doesn't translate to Vita for some inane reason.

It should translate to Vita since the Remote Play button mapping just emulates a DS4, but I guess we'll see. There's no reason it shouldn't work though. Then again, DE.

I use Remote Play in bed every single night. Now that I have a decent grip and a nice pillow to prop up my Vita, playing Warframe is certainly possible with the right Warframe/weapon loadout. Melee is a bust so you can't Rhino-tine at a high level and weapons requiring accurate shot placement are kind of a pain since aiming is mapped to the d-pad. Running and gunning with the Ignis, though? Totally doable!

Here's the layout I plan on using for Remote Play:

dA6P7in.png
= Control Warframe
ip1kaCz.png
= Control Camera
6kf8ouF.png
= Aim/Zoom
VFfu6dz.png
= Shoot
auNmHU1.png
= Slice
pUwU8b1.png
= Slide
lYf8H8p.png
= Jump
3xWPv4t.png
= Reload
5xiiRCd.png
= Contextual Action (hack console, etc.)
S74On3g.png
= Sprint
kHPEuqq.png
= Use Item
jCAORHx.png
= Toggle Primary/Secondary Weapon

Block? Crouch?
LOL
Rear touchpad?
LOL

Still not perfect for melee, but it's a hell of a lot better than the current layout. With only two shoulder buttons something's gotta give. They could add an optional toggle to only fire your weapon while zooming, thus letting you use R to melee when you're just running around. I can see how that might work for loadouts that aren't really run-and-gun. Snipers and bows would probably work great.

I'm a run-n-gunner myself so I'll probably stick to giving melee the shaft.

It should translate to Vita since the Remote Play button mapping just emulates a DS4, but I guess we'll see. There's no reason it shouldn't work though. Then again, DE.

I use Remote Play in bed every single night. Now that I have a decent grip and a nice pillow to prop up my Vita, playing Warframe is certainly possible with the right Warframe/weapon loadout.

I'm a run-n-gunner myself so I'll probably stick to giving melee the shaft.

That's what I'm thinking; it should work. You never know though.

I too have played quite a few rounds on my Vita, but the controls are ultimately a bust for me. It's like you said, your loadout has to be really specific to continue being effective, and at least for me, those loadouts are not conducive to most scenarios. I'm liking your control layout. Seems like a good choice as I likewise prefer being a runner-n-gunner.

BTW, what is your Vita grip of choice? I've looked at potential options on Amazon, but without recommendations, I ended up leaving it. My hands are just a little too big for my Vita, and a grip might make all the difference.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Grimløck;96540431 said:
He speaks the truth. Alternatively you can use Loki's Decoy+Switch Teleport. For Rank 9+10, use Mag's pull for an easy pass.
Oh thank Christ - I'm almost Rank 8, and I have a Nova. Win!

molnizzle

Grimløck;96540431 said:
He speaks the truth. Alternatively you can use Loki's Decoy+Switch Teleport. For Rank 9+10, use Mag's pull for an easy pass.

All true, but tapping X to wall run is objectively superior to holding down the button because it allows you to move the camera around while you run. In order to get through many of the secret rooms (and to just be adept at wall-running in general) you need to be able to move the camera around to position your next jump.

The problem is that right now there's a bug where pressing X while you're already wall-running will sometimes trigger the backflip rather than the "launch." That didn't happen prior to the U11 patch so I'm assuming it has to do with not needing sprint anymore to start your wall run. Hopefully that'll be fixed in the next patch as well.

5-6 weeks between patches... sigh. That's terrible.

Well, the holidays almost certainly screwed things up due to offices being closed -- and not just DE's. I imagine that the cert people over at Sony also tend to use their vacation days around Christmas time.

Hopefully the patches start hitting more frequently from now on...

ijed

Controller mapping would be a godsend - Can't wait.

I too have played quite a few rounds on my Vita, but the controls are ultimately a bust for me.

I currently have my vita set to another account and my ps4 set to auto login to my primary account.

That way I can start the ps4, connect with remote play on the vita, and use the dualshock as controls. The only drawback is you have to keep touching the screen whenever it dims to stop it from going to sleep.
It's a bit blocky over wifi but via direct connection it looks glorious and all the text is crisp and clear.

molnizzle

It's a bit blocky over wifi but via direct connection it looks glorious and all the text is crisp and clear.

Even via direct connection I start dropping frames like mad after about 40-45 minutes. I'm talking giant skips and hiccups that last several seconds. Re-starting Remote Play fixes the issue. Just sucks if it starts happening during a mission...

ijed

Even via direct connection I start dropping frames like mad after about 40-45 minutes. I'm talking giant skips and hiccups that last several seconds. Re-starting Remote Play fixes the issue. Just sucks if it starts happening during a mission...

That sucks - It seems a bit YMMV when it comes to remote play. I have the vita, controller and keyboard all connected to the ps4 via bluetooth quite happily, they are only 4-5 meters (10'-15') away from the console though with a direct line of sight.

EDIT: Oh a Question: Do missions scale depending on number of players? Was doing some Raptor runs and it took longer to take him down in a group of 4 than it did when I solo'd him...

molnizzle

Shit, custom button mapping will be a godsend even when playing directly on the PS4. All of my Warframe abilities are going to the d-pad. Swipe up for inventory, down for crouch toggle, right for waypoint and left for contextual actions like hacking/life support/etc. Circle for slide/roll, L1 for block. Fuuuuck yeah!

EDIT: BETTER YET, touchpad depress for contextual actions and left swipe for map toggle. Dude.

SnakeEyes

Banned
So I'm currently looking at rebuilding my Soma, and am after a spare Critical Delay (Corrupted mod) if anyone has a spare. I have a couple of Nightmare mods spare that someone may want in trade, so hit me up if you do.

Or alternatively, I'll run OD Exts with people when they want :)

Shit, custom button mapping will be a godsend even when playing directly on the PS4. All of my Warframe abilities are going to the d-pad. Swipe up for inventory, down for crouch toggle, right for waypoint and left for hacking/life support/etc. Circle for slide/roll, L1 for block. Fuuuuck yeah!
I've grown so accustomed to the current controls that the only things I may change are the block, slide and sprint buttons.

----------

After having a few in-game conversations with some GAFers, it's clear some people aren't aware of the effects of Nightmare missions. So here they are!

Only one of the following challenges may occur per mission (each has the same chance of occurring):

No Shields: Every Tenno's shields will be reduced to 0.
Timer: The mission will now be timed, starting at 5 minutes. The death of an enemy will add 5 seconds to the timer. Death does not need to be caused by a Tenno and can be caused by death by another faction.
(If the mission type is Defense, Mobile Defense or Survival, this challenge will be ignored. A new challenge will not be chosen in its place.)
Health Vampire: Every Tenno's health will be reduced by 1.5% of maximum per second rounded down. This wont reduce your health lower than 1% of maximum. The death of enemies, including Infested Runners exploding, will recover 12.5% health for the entire Tenno squad.
Energy Vampire: Every Tenno in the cell will lose energy constantly (approx. 1 per second?). Energy Siphon slows down the drain rate.
In addition to the 3 challenges above, there is also a 50% chance of low gravity (reduced by half, this affects everything including player maneuvers in the air, enemies and loot)

Challenges below do not incur the low-gravity addition:
Ammo Storage Deficit: Lockers do not drop ammo, but enemies still do.
Enemy Damage Buff: Enemies will have innate triple damage buff.
High Level Enemies: Enemies will have a higher level than normal.
Lethal Explosive Barrels: Explosive barrels deal a lethally high damage. (around 1000)
Longer Reload: Reload Times are increased. (possibly +50%)

HORRORSHØW

So I'm currently looking at rebuilding my Soma, and am after a spare Critical Delay (Corrupted mod) if anyone has a spare. I have a couple of Nightmare mods spare that someone may want in trade, so hit me up if you do.

Or alternatively, I'll run OD Exts with people when they want :)
I'll run some ODEs with you. Still need a few corrupt mods.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Grimløck;96564464 said:
I'll run some ODEs with you. Still need a few corrupt mods.
Excellent. I shall be online in... 3hrs 30mins (stuck at work until 9pm tonight, stupid mall late nights.)

Also Helscream: here's why you couldn't get Hammershot even after 8hrs of farming...

Hammer Shot, Rifle, 1.005% drop chance.

O.O

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Mol, I just dropped a bunch of mats on the clan dojo.

I'm now dry lol I gotta start farming for mats.

Perhaps, a reason to level up my Nekros?

Lawl!

I love the pool garden on the bottom floor, it's like my favourite spot now ;D

I like the layout too.

My only bummer is the decoration on the main hall, but since at the end decoration is a matter of tastes, you cannot please everybody.

SnakeEyes

Banned
I got the shock for my life when I logged into the dojo this week, and saw the dramatic changes. Freaked out until I saw it on the balcony.

molnizzle

My only bummer is the decoration on the main hall, but since at the end decoration is a matter of tastes, you cannot please everybody.

Oh, that stuff isn't necessarily permanent. Helscream and I put all that shit up in like 10 minutes after the hall finished building just so people have stuff to contribute to. A lot of it will be moved/re-arranged/replaced once built. I just wanted to start collecting resources for the Vault so we can build and decorate without having to wait.

I feel ya on being without resources. That Dojo has bled me dry.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Gotta do number 2 ASAP for me. Gremlins look to be a good alternative to the Vipers
I have the Gremlins, and they're good but they definitely need mods to increase Rate of Fire.

Getting the 3rd part for the Miter is proving to be a royal pain in the ass for me.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Meh. I still need all that shit. I just reeeeaaally hate fighting Lech Krill. lol
It's so easy though, especially with a Nova/Rhino/both.

Also, a quick question: I've noticed that the alternate helmets available for purchase have stat changes, except for the Quantum Helmet for Nova. Is this the only one that doesn't have any stat alterations and is purely cosmetic?

molnizzle

It's so easy though, especially with a Nova/Rhino/both.

Easy, maybe. Fast? Nope... Such a long fight compared to every other boss.

Also, a quick question: I've noticed that the alternate helmets available for purchase have stat changes, except for the Quantum Helmet for Nova. Is this the only one that doesn't have any stat alterations and is purely cosmetic?

Nekros' and Valkyr's don't have any bonuses either. DE has stated that they're moving away from stat bonuses on helmets and want for them to be a purely cosmetic thing going forward. They just haven't figured out what to do about all the older helmets that already had stats on them.

Hopefully they do something like add a "booster slot" on all helmets and let you swap out the respective booster cards like mods. It'd kinda suck if they just nerfed all of the other helmets. Putting the Vanguard helmet on Rhino is life-changing shit. I could never go back...

bebop242

Controller mapping would be a godsend - Can't wait.

I currently have my vita set to another account and my ps4 set to auto login to my primary account.

That way I can start the ps4, connect with remote play on the vita, and use the dualshock as controls. The only drawback is you have to keep touching the screen whenever it dims to stop it from going to sleep.

Holy shit, how did i not think of this? Isn't there an option to stop the screen from dimming? I'm going to have to try it out.

Yeah, I'll agree with you there. If it wasn't for Lech Kril, the mission would be so much quicker.

That seems to be the general consensus. I've seen lots of people running with the Thrak helmet too.

Thrak isn't worth it. It's 25% health boost from BASE health.

So do you really care about having 685 hp instead of 660 but being slow as shit for just 25 hp boost ?

Vanguard all the way every day all day

Accidentally went into a level 30-33 corpus alert with my level 12 Frost.

"Oh hey, the rest of these guys all seem high level with premium access gears, this should be alright..."

That ended up becoming a disaster where my lone frost was carrying the whole team with emergency snow glob+revives.

Sdoots

Looked into it last night. Still no Rainbow Bridge. About to just say fuck it and start playing around on PS4 some anyways, and live with the fact that any progress made is meaningless.

This is getting ridiculous.

Dave1988

Looked into it last night. Still no Rainbow Bridge. About to just say fuck it and start playing around on PS4 some anyways, and live with the fact that any progress made is meaningless.

This is getting ridiculous.

Don't expect Rainbow Bridge to arrive in January. Hell, we'll be lucky if the new update arrives before January ends.

Sdoots

Don't expect Rainbow Bridge to arrive in January. Hell, we'll be lucky if the new update arrives before January ends.

It's ridiculous, man. You guys have actually surpassed me in Mastery, and I've been around since CBT. That's how long I've been waiting to play again because I just want play on the PS4 instead of my PC.

The thread about it in the PS4 forums on the Warframe site was getting posts every day once upon a time, and now there are maybe one or two posts every so often that are just someone going "Still not out?". Depressing as hell.

IvorB

Last half-an-hour of work is ticking passed. In a few hours I'll be putting the bullet to them blasted aliens. Think I will trawl the corpus systems first to raise enough money to finally order my dual vipers. Just need 20K for the blueprint and I am there. Then onward through the planets.

Sdoots

Last half-an-hour of work is ticking passed. In a few hours I'll be putting the bullet to them blasted aliens. Think I will trawl the corpus systems first to raise enough money to finally order my dual vipers. Just need 20K for the blueprint and I am there. Then onward through the planets.

I'm still waiting for lunch break over here, you lucky son of a bitch.

Enjoy the vipers, those things are nasty. Reload speed mods are really useful with them, as you'll be emptying magazines in no time. Magazine size isn't a bad idea, either.

IvorB

I'm still waiting for lunch break over here, you lucky son of a bitch.

Enjoy the vipers, those things are nasty. Reload speed mods are really useful with them, as you'll be emptying magazines in no time. Magazine size isn't a bad idea, either.

Ha ha!! Sorry, man. 10 mins and I am out of here. :)

Yeah I've been rocking the single viper for a while and really liking it so I've decided to go all in. The amount of work that goes into acquiring stuff in this game makes one really consider these decisions carefully. I'm pretty confident dual-vipers for secondary is a good call.

Don't have great mods for me secondary though. Need to work on that...

Trinity is ready to start cooking, will put her in the oven when I get home. Rhino is nearly there, but need some more plastids and rubido, as well as another orokin cell.

Kurod

Banned
Got Trinity in the oven and grinding the 60k credits to pop Ash in. It's funny how lack of credits has become one of my biggest hurdles in obtaining new gear. Fusing mods has gotten really expensive too.

koryuken

My Rhino is coming out of the oven tonight! (as well as the Galatine and Hikou Shurikens).

So lets talk about secondary weapons. I now have a good understanding of Primaries, Frames and melee but I have not been following secondary weapons.

Hikou was sort of an impulse build, but I am wondering if I should have went with the Kunai instead? What do you guys recommend? I also have enough resources (minus money) to make AKVastos. Are AKVastos considered one of the best secondaries?

Also, how rare is hornet strike? I haven't seen it drop yet...

Sdoots

My Rhino is coming out of the oven tonight! (as well as the Galatine and Hikou Shurikens).

So lets talk about secondary weapons. I now have a good understanding of Primaries, Frames and melee but I have not been following secondary weapons.

Hikou was sort of an impulse build, but I am wondering if I should have went with the Kunai instead? What do you guys recommend? I also have enough resources (minus money) to make AKVastos. Are AKVastos considered one of the best secondaries?

Also, how rare is hornet strike? I haven't seen it drop yet...

General opinion is kunai are superior to Hikou. I don't see the advantage, myself, but for what it is worth, the difference is that you can get more kunai in the air faster, while each shuriken does more damage than a kunai does.

Not the person to ask on mod rarity, I've got too many trashmod pages to have an accurate idea anymore.

I love the Akvastos. I'm also a sucker for anything revolver and/or magnum esque, so I'm probably biased. Other secondaries I like a lot are Acrid (not sure where the clan is at on the research there, but goddamn, if you guys don't have Acrid yet, get there. Really nice gun.), and the Kraken with a bunch of armor piercing and fire rate mods.

koryuken

General opinion is kunai are superior to Hikou. I don't see the advantage, myself, but for what it is worth, the difference is that you can get more kunai in the air faster, while each shuriken does more damage than a kunai does.

Not the person to ask on mod rarity, I've got too many trashmod pages to have an accurate idea anymore.

I love the Akvastos. I'm also a sucker for anything revolver and/or magnum esque, so I'm probably biased. Other secondaries I like a lot are Acrid (not sure where the clan is at on the research there, but goddamn, if you guys don't have Acrid yet, get there. Really nice gun.), and the Kraken with a bunch of armor piercing and fire rate mods.

Thank you man -- you may have it backwards on the Kunai though :) Kunai does 45 dmg and come out slower and there are fewer in the "mag". The Hikou does 25 dmg but comes out faster and there are more in the "mag". I read up and it seems that sustained DPS is higher on the Hikou and they also stunlock certain enemies... 45dmg though on Kunai... with mods will wreck shit.

From what I read on the PC forums, acrid isn't as good anymore since the updates. So I'm a little hesitant to craft it.

Not to mention, my mutagen samples have to go to synapse for now.

Top Bottom