• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warframe |OT| Ninjas Play Free - PS4

Sdoots

Yeah, seems I have that backwards. My bad.

And I'm not surprised Acrid got nerfed. You could run T3 Defenses using that and nothing else and be fine.

Synapse the new hotness, then?

qcf x2

I have a maxed out Ember w/ + 300% vitality & shields, streamline, etc. Once I figured out how to use her, I never used my lvl 30 Rhino again. She's a bad one.

I recently took Trinity and Valkyr out of the oven. Trinity looks like she'll be right up my alley since I usually end up saving everyone's ass one way or another. Valkyr on paper doesn't look good at all (abilities-wise, at least), but I get the feeling that she offers a different experience that I might enjoy... after all, I initially felt that Ember was weak.

I have a Nova in the oven, but since my friend bought one I'm less excited to try it out. Gonna try and get a Saryn I guess. Gotta catch 'em all.

It's already up on their Twitch account, I linked it a few posts up.
Thanks. Will check it out.

Edit:
2014, "this is the year."
New user experience.
More gameplay variety.
Mmm.. New factions invading.

Edit 2:
A random Nullpointer aside: I can understand their reticence to making some of the larger, foundational changes the game probably needs. As a programmer I break down my tasks into adding more systems, tweaking existing systems and the hardest part of all, breaking the ribs open and changing the fundamental, deeper systems that have more dependencies. If you're going to crack them ribs open you better know exactly what you're doing and why and test it all thoroughly. It can be nerve-wracking.

Edit 3:
PS4 stuff
hard at work bridging gap between PC and PS4. "if it was up to us we'd ship it to you right now"
framerate improvements. stability improvements. massive network optimizations. AI optimizations. arbitrary controller bindings. "so much stuff there"
PC migration is literally "right around the corner". Able to do it before the PC/PS4 builds are in sync, for sure.

"As Warframe has grown its been less about high fives and more about fighting" ;P

HUD changes "not right around the corner", but in progress. Including ability timers. (shows some footage)
New overhauled transmissions from all NPC's in-game - upped the quality, ditching the programmer art (shows some footage)

"Looking at void drop table". Trying not to dilute it.

(lots of very vague stuff about doing something something maybe possibly in future updates about defense rewards, lesser used warframes / warframe powers)

Surprised by how some players will laser focus and grind hundreds of hours for items that were placed as indirect over-time rewards. (I find this interesting and can imagine the design tension)
Event scoring: "Its absolutely fascinating how clever some players will get to exploit some mathematical property that you didn't anticipate."

Seems to be a desire to provide more lore.

Melee 2.0: created new weapon stances. adding a parry system. forward attack meant to break certain enemy defenses. Providing more feedback from AI hit reactions. buffing melee. new AI type based upon deep melee system and pattern attacks rather than simple rush and bash. You can directly equip melee and parry bullets.

RNG: "We're aware of the real sore spots. The void is obviously the biggest, glaring, red, pussing sore spot that needs to be fixed."

Misc:
New enemy creature. More wildlife. (Looks like a Llama dog.)
Cloth physics (not around the corner, but around the block)
If you forma an item (even just once) you'll be able to move/swap around all your existing polarities. This will aid with setting up elemental damage. (Update 12 by the sound of things)
Grineer Shipyards tile-set being worked on.

(At this point they started sharing some illuminati secrets about [REDACTED])

IvorB

I'm constantly running out of ammo when I play now. I don't really understand what's happening. I'm not being wasteful and I'm picking up everything I find but often I'm all out of everything. I went to fight that Grineer boss with the flamethrower and had nothing by the time I got to him. This is really no fun at all and is really killing this game for me right now. Anyone know what I could be doing wrong?

SnakeEyes

Banned
I'm constantly running out of ammo when I play now. I don't really understand what's happening. I'm not being wasteful and I'm picking up everything I find but often I'm all out of everything. I went to fight that Grineer boss with the flamethrower and had nothing by the time I got to him. This is really no fun at all and is really killing this game for me right now. Anyone know what I could be doing wrong?
Depends on the weapon you're using, whether you're running Clip+/Ammo Max+/Rate of Rife+ mods, and whether you've got a Ammo Mutation mod equipped.

Either way, it's entirely your own doing.

molnizzle

Managing ammo efficiency is a big part of the game, and one of the reasons many people roll with the Ammo Mutations at all times. The Ignis in particular practically requires Rifle Ammo Mutation. However, it could also be that you don't have good enough mods and are not putting out enough damage, thus wasting your ammo.

Every weapon is different, some are more ammo efficient than others. You've gotta play around and find the solution that works best for you. Bringing along Ammo Restores is another option.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Art by Yuikami-da on deviant art.

warframe___chibis_for_competition_by_yuikami_da-d6zg0fg.jpg

SnakeEyes

Banned
Way ahead of you - already cropping out that kawaii Stalker :3

PS4 stuff
hard at work bridging gap between PC and PS4. "if it was up to us we'd ship it to you right now"
framerate improvements. stability improvements. massive network optimizations. AI optimizations. arbitrary controller bindings. "so much stuff there"
PC migration is literally "right around the corner". Able to do it before the PC/PS4 builds are in sync, for sure.

Oh thank christ for that, it's about damn time. I have such high hopes for this next patch, especially for the Tower Missions.

IvorB

Depends on the weapon you're using, whether you're running Clip+/Ammo Max+/Rate of Rife+ mods, and whether you've got a Ammo Mutation mod equipped.

Either way, it's entirely your own doing.

Managing ammo efficiency is a big part of the game, and one of the reasons many people roll with the Ammo Mutations at all times. The Ignis in particular practically requires Rifle Ammo Mutation. However, it could also be that you don't have good enough mods and are not putting out enough damage, thus wasting your ammo.

Every weapon is different, some are more ammo efficient than others. You've gotta play around and find the solution that works best for you. Bringing along Ammo Restores is another option.

Thanks, man. Was hoping you would tell me the game is broken and it's not my fault :).

I've got Braton with ammo drum +5 max ammo, +100% crit chance, +50% fire rate, +5% reload speed. Other than boosting the ammo drum I'm not sure what I could change there.

For secondary it's Viper with some fire damage, +20% crit chance and +5% ammo capacity. Maybe boost the fire damage...

Are my mods just not good enough? Haven't had much else drop that's good. Where do I get a ammo mutation/restore?

1. Ammo mutation mod.
2. Damage modification mods, high damage = less bullet used.
2. Go for head shots.
3. Bring a reliable secondary to switch between.
4. Stick to melee on tank builds
5. Stick to abilities on glass cannons (ex: Nova.)

Last but not least:
6. It's an assassination/capture/survival mission, not extermination - you don't need to kill everything.

*stare at randoms who waste all their bullets before getting to the target on capture missions*

Thanks, man. Was hoping you would tell me the game is broken and it's not my fault :).

I've got Braton with ammo drum +5 max ammo, +100% crit chance, +50% fire rate, +5% reload speed. Other than boosting the ammo drum I'm not sure what I could change there.

For secondary it's Viper with some fire damage, +20% crit chance and +5% ammo capacity. Maybe boost the fire damage...

Are my mods just not good enough? Haven't had much else drop that's good. Where do I get a ammo mutation/restore?

The Braton already has a decent enough fire rate, so the fire rate mod isn't really needed.
Assuming you don't have the the decent rifle mods (serration, split chamber, rifle ammo mutation, etc.), you should replace that mod with either an elemental damage mod or a punch through mod (one bullet will hit more.)

Rifle mutation mods drop for me on high level survivals.

In general, situational awareness is still your best friend.

SnakeEyes

Banned

Ammo Mutations are Rare mods that you'll see drop more often later on in the game, and allow you to get ammo for your selected gun from any ammo drops. My suggestion in the meantime would be to upgrade your Ammo Drum mod to increase your max ammo held. Dump something like the Fire Rate mod in the meantime if you don't have enough points to spare, because you'll definitely burn through your ammo with full auto guns early on until you have the mods to compensate.

Also, maybe get rid of the Viper as your side arm. Having two full auto guns will definitely see you burning through your ammo quickly, if you don't have the mods to compensate. Stick to the Lato, or go for other guns like the Lex or Vasto.

koryuken

There's your problem. I highlighted in bold. You are using 50% more bullets per second.

Key2001

Any room left in the clan? I tried making my own but gathering all of the resources and making everything on my own was taking far much more time than I expected.

My psn id is Key2001

molnizzle

Alright. We're now ready to build the Mountain Barracks, which would increase our clan's member cap from 100 to 300.

I'm starting to have second thoughts about it though. The component requirements for decorations and additional Dojo rooms will also increase 3x. The problem is that I don't think we have that many more people than 100 who want to get in. There are currently 10 people on the Google Doc list. We have 95 members currently, so 5 could get in right now. There are also several members currently in the clan who haven't logged in for 8-10 days. If I were to kick those people I might be able to fit everyone. That would obviously be better for us and our decorating needs.

At the same time, I think that as a more casual "forum clan" we shouldn't be turning away anyone who wants to join. Part of me wants to say that people should be able to stay away from the game for as long as they want and still stay in the clan. That would definitely be the case if raising the member cap didn't kinda fuck over all the active players. Well, I guess it wouldn't fuck us over if we were actually going to have closer to 300 members rather than closer to 100. That just doesn't seem to be the case.

What do you guys think?

tl;dr - If you've ever had even a thought that you might want to join the clan but have not already contacted me to be added to the list, now is the time. I really need to have a clearer idea of exactly how many new members we're talking here.

EDIT: Oh, and I should mention that once you upgrade your clan from Storm to Mountain you can never go back. Even if you destroy the Mountain Barracks the clan will always be be a Mountain Clan with the increased member cap and component requirements. Destroying the Barracks just removes your ability to invite new members. That's why I've been saying that clan membership has been "locked" this past week rather than full, we simply couldn't invite due to the Barracks being destroyed and rebuilt during the Dojo renovations.

IvorB

1. Ammo mutation mod.
2. Damage modification mods, high damage = less bullet used.
2. Go for head shots.
3. Bring a reliable secondary to switch between.
4. Stick to melee on tank builds
5. Stick to abilities on glass cannons (ex: Nova.)

Last but not least:
6. It's an assassination/capture/survival mission, not extermination - you don't need to kill everything.

*stare at randoms who waste all their bullets before getting to the target on capture missions*

The Braton already has a decent enough fire rate, so the fire rate mod isn't really needed.
Assuming you don't have the the decent rifle mods (serration, split chamber, rifle ammo mutation, etc.), you should replace that mod with either an elemental damage mod or a punch through mod (one bullet will hit more.)

Rifle mutation mods drop for me on high level survivals.

In general, situational awareness is still your best friend.

Ammo Mutations are Rare mods that you'll see drop more often later on in the game, and allow you to get ammo for your selected gun from any ammo drops. My suggestion in the meantime would be to upgrade your Ammo Drum mod to increase your max ammo held. Dump something like the Fire Rate mod in the meantime if you don't have enough points to spare, because you'll definitely burn through your ammo with full auto guns early on until you have the mods to compensate.

Also, maybe get rid of the Viper as your side arm. Having two full auto guns will definitely see you burning through your ammo quickly, if you don't have the mods to compensate. Stick to the Lato, or go for other guns like the Lex or Vasto.

There's your problem. I highlighted in bold. You are using 50% more bullets per second.

Doesn't that mean I do more damage per second also?

Thanks for the advice, guys. I've boosted the max ammo on both to around 50%, boosted the fire damage to 60% on the Viper and just picked up a serration mod which I boosted to around +60% damage also. I'll see how this goes for a while :). I'll keep an eye out for ammo mutation.

molnizzle

I'll keep an eye out for ammo mutation.

It's unlikely that you'll just "stumble across" Rifle Ammo Mutation. I suppose it's possible, but it's very unlikely. You're now at the point where you realize that Warframe is an RNG farming game. Time to get to work!

SnakeEyes

Banned
What do you guys think?
Have we completed 100% of the research? Because if so, then I see no problem with going for the increased limit especially if it means more GAFers to have in WarGAF PSN chat to party up with.

Dojo decorations are such a minor thing that they shouldn't be what's holding us back from letting new people in.

molnizzle

Have we completed 100% of the research? Because if so, then I see no problem with going for the increased limit especially if it means more GAFers to have in WarGAF PSN chat to party up with.

Dojo decorations are such a minor thing that they shouldn't be what's holding us back from letting new people in.

We're at 100% research for now, yes. Apparently new clan stuff will be added in the next patch. If not, then it definitely will be in future patches.

It'd be one thing if you could downgrade back to Storm clan at some point... but since you can't, it's making me think. What happens 6 months from now when many of those who are playing today are no longer playing the game? DE will still be updating it and adding new stuff all the time, including new research items and Dojo rooms. What if there are only like 30-40 active players by that point? They'd all be subjected to the resource requirements for a 300-member clan. That just... sucks.

I agree the more the merrier, I'm just trying to consider our future prospects. Especially after February/March when there will be a hell of a lot more stuff to play on PS4. I suspect that the number of active Warframe players could drop off dramatically at that point.

I dunno.

SnakeEyes

Banned
I see this as the same mentality as some people use when waiting for new version of tech devices to release: If you're constantly waiting for the next version, you'll never buy it.

I say we take the leap, and just deal with things as they come. Obviously the cost increases, but we can only hope that we'll also have more people to help pay for them.

-OR-

We keep doing what we're doing, and simply kick inactive players out of the clan.

bebop242

Prob a stupid question, but can you be in multiple clans? Im in one with a few friends, would also like to take part in the GAF one as well. I'm thinking thats not possible.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Prob a stupid question, but can you be in multiple clans? Im in one with a few friends, would also like to take part in the GAF one as well. I'm thinking thats not possible.
Nope, only one clan at a time. You can't even receive invites to other clans when you're in a clan.

I agree the more the merrier, I'm just trying to consider our future prospects. Especially after February/March when there will be a hell of a lot more stuff to play on PS4. I suspect that the number of active Warframe players could drop off dramatically at that point
Yeah... I'll probably stop playing when Destiny releases in September.

I wouldn't mind being kicked out of the clan if I had been inactive for two weeks. Question is how many people have been gone that long, or is close to approaching that?

koryuken

I wouldn't mind being kicked out of the clan if I had been inactive for two weeks. Question is how many people have been gone that long, or is close to approaching that?

I'm OK with 100 members and being kicked out if inactive... I feel like if we get a long waiting list of people, we can still upgrade to "Mountain" in the future.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Doesn't that mean I do more damage per second also?

Thanks for the advice, guys. I've boosted the max ammo on both to around 50%, boosted the fire damage to 60% on the Viper and just picked up a serration mod which I boosted to around +60% damage also. I'll see how this goes for a while :). I'll keep an eye out for ammo mutation.

If you duplicate your attack speed you will deal twice the damage and burn bullets twice as fast.

If you duplicate the damage per bullet you will do twice the damage.

I have to admit I'm jealous of the PS4 clan. So many active players.

I upgraded PC clan to Storm tier because I felt bad kicking people out all the time to fit in the 30 limit. Now only a handful of people still play somewhat regularly... We never reached the 100 limit (82 right now) with probably 40+ people who haven't logged in for several months. Last time I looked I saw people who haven't logged in over 200 days! So depressing.

Wish I kept it at 30, lol. Maybe then we could of been somewhat competitive in event scoring... Not to mention cheaper clan research prices.

But, the dedicated few we have manage to donate the 300 Mutagen Samples and stuff... So it's not all bad :p

molnizzle

For anyone who hasn't watched it yet, I highly recommend watching the live stream from today. It really cleared up a lot of things for me and gave me a better idea of how and why Warframe is the way it is. It also made me feel good to hear that they know the game is a nightmare for new players and are working on a "new user experience" for 2014.

I mean, they still suck... but at least they know?

http://youtu.be/r9bQiZv99LA

IvorB

It's unlikely that you'll just "stumble across" Rifle Ammo Mutation. I suppose it's possible, but it's very unlikely. You're now at the point where you realize that Warframe is an RNG farming game. Time to get to work!

Where do I find these items?

Made significant inroads into Jupiter today as well as a bunch of other missions. Corpus territory always makes me nervous. Saw some crazy warframes though... might need to have a look at some of those. Think I'm done for tonight.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Where do I find these items?

Made significant inroads into Jupiter today as well as a bunch of other missions. Corpus territory always makes me nervous. Saw some crazy warframes though... might need to have a look at some of those. Think I'm done for tonight.

Random loot drops, that's all there is to it. Some places drop specific sets of mods (Orokin Derelict vaults drop Corrupted Mods, Nightmare versions of missions drop Nightmare mods) but all the others come from just standard drops either as rewards for killing enemies or from lockers and storage crates.

I have a spare Rifle Ammo Mutation you can have, just send me a message. PSN: Kurt-Niisan

molnizzle

Random loot drops, that's all there is to it. Some places drop specific sets of mods (Orokin Derelict vaults drop Corrupted Mods, Nightmare versions of missions drop Nightmare mods) but all the others come from just standard drops either as rewards for killing enemies or from lockers and storage crates.

I have a spare Rifle Ammo Mutation you can have, just send me a message. PSN: Kurt-Niisan

Well... I was implying that he should look up what he wanted on the Wiki and then farm for it.

The best place to get the Ammo Mutations is for the 20min reward from certain Survival missions. Flow, Focus, Continuity (etc) are all the same way -- if you're always just waiting for the random loot drop you'll never get what you want in a timely manner, then you'll just get frustrated. You have to seek out what you're looking for and farm it!

SnakeEyes

Banned
Well... I was implying that he should look up what he wanted on the Wiki and then farm for it.

The best place to get the Ammo Mutations is for the 20min reward from certain Survival missions. Flow, Focus, Continuity (etc) are all the same way -- if you're always just waiting for the random loot drop you'll never get what you want in a timely manner, then you'll just get frustrated. You have to seek out what you're looking for and farm it!

Well, if you WANT me to be mean and tell him he can't have it, then I can... :D

SilentFlyer

Man, everytime when I think I've got almost all the mods, I ran to wiki or this thread and finds out I'm missing a lot of mods.

Top Bottom