• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warframe |OT| Ninjas Play Free - PS4

molnizzle

But my name is Karsticles in the game. If you hit the Options button during a level, you see my name there. What is that name doing there? Who is that? Excalibur is not a member of clan NeoGAF, Karsticles is.

That's you the player, since this is a video game. If you play Uncharted online your name will say Karsticles too, even if the character you're playing is Nathan Drake.

jersoc

If anyone can grab a spare energy siphon from the alert that would be awesome. Of course it finally pops when i leave for work.

molnizzle

What was the price? Was it like 30 bucks for 100?

1J5fb0j.png

I want to bite the bullet for buy more colors or Valkyr chains but still I want to save my plat for more warframe space or weapons spaces.

Except that Absorb is honestly not that good (damage is relative to the damage you receive.) and Nyx's other skills are quite boring (useful, but boring.)

In terms of AOE attacks, I would say go with an Ember (large range, longer duraction), Ash (fun) or Excalibur (ragdoll fun) for now.

Nova is highly praised, but require groups that are close to one another to chain.
Saryn is good and scales well, but the range is small even with stretch.
Mag's crush is meh, and shield polarize is more specific to Corpus
Oberon's AOE's range is small.
Loki's radical disarm doesn't kill.
Trinity's blessing doesn't kill.

Other frames have ultimes that doesn't exactly fit in the "AoE" category.

I whish mag would have a faster channeling crush spell since there are more instant aoe spells with the others chars, its soooo slow.

We're all Karsticles.
You are Sdoots.

No, stay away from that. It's a terrible eye-sore. Also you should know that those helmets are not purely cosmetic and have status effects on them. I made the mistake of buying the Swindle one before I realised it does have gameplay effects on it. It looks okay but I have gone back to the OG reversed horns.
Oh, I know the effects. Why would you want the default over Swindle?

I would prefer to just play as me and have the warframe as a suit that I wear. It doesn't make sense to have multiple copies of the same dudes all over the galaxy. Unless we are clones...
Agreed.

Ha ha!! Who is Karsticles???
Just a man.

That's you the player, since this is a video game. If you play Uncharted online your name will say Karsticles too, even if the character you're playing is Nathan Drake.
Uncharted is stupid, though. That does not make sense! How am I supposed to find immersion if I am a username? How are there 4 Loki's in a group?!

molnizzle

Uncharted is stupid, though. That does not make sense! How am I supposed to find immersion if I am a username? How are there 4 Loki's in a group?!

How were there 4 Rogues in my old raiding guild that all had Illidan's Twin Blades?

How is Alad V sending his Harvester after us if we've already killed him dozens of times?

Wait, how did we even kill Alad V dozens of times in the first place? Don't people only die once?

Because video game. ;-)

How were there 4 Rogues in my old raiding guild that all had Illidan's Twin Blades?

How is Alad V sending his Harvester after us if we've already killed him dozens of times?

Wait, how did we even kill Alad V dozens of times in the first place? Don't people only die once?

Because video game. ;-)
Repeating bosses is like watching a rerun. That is how I think of it. WoW should have server unique gear. Random generators are best.

SnakeEyes

Banned
How were there 4 Rogues in my raiding guild that all had Illidan's Twin Blades? Because video game. ;-)

Vidya Gaem logics!

I feel like I'm in a bit of a rut at the moment. The Frames I love using are maxed and I dunno if I wanna Forma them again, same with the weapons, and the new weapons I'm trying to level at the moment are underwhelming me (Paris Prime, Synapse). I have a Dread in the oven, so maybe that'll be better than the Paris Prime.

Maybe I'll feel better once the Cicero Crisis is over and I don't feel like I'm being rushed all the time, with the Operations etc.

molnizzle

Vidya Gaem logics!Maybe I'll feel better once the Cicero Crisis is over and I don't feel like I'm being rushed all the time, with the Operations etc.

Hm? Those aren't part of the event. The only thing that has to do with the Cicero Crisis is the flower scanning stuff with the Injector. The Invasion mechanic is just a part of the game now. =)

Still, you shouldn't feel rushed. The Invasions are on like a 12-36 hour reset timer or something. Even if you miss stuff there will always be more.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Hm? Those aren't part of the event. The only thing that has to do with the Cicero Crisis is the flower scanning stuff with the Injector. The Invasion mechanic is just a part of the game now. =)

Still, you shouldn't feel rushed. The Invasions are on like a 12-36 hour reset timer or something. Even if you miss stuff there will always be more.

Maybe it's just content overload, or maybe it's the Clan being split across so many different missions. I've kinda felt "blah" over the last few days.

FUME5

I'd put over 850hrs on ME3 MP and hadn't gotten bored. I'd probably still be playing, if the community hadn't dropped off for other games :)

Wow, I only racked up 180 hrs...although, towards the end we were mainly camping that sea container.

That reminds me, the Citadel DLC is finally on sale, going to get that downloading tonight.

Finally picked up Bane of Corpus. Was beginning to think it didn't exist lol.

Got it from randomly joining a defense mission that was already on wave 17. Pretty sweet.

Nah, right now the only things in my Clan chat tab (having been idling for a few hours to track the Invasions while I do other things) are one message from Dave1988 and one from me.

Definitely an issue then. Me, Seth, Kurod and Shiki are all actively chatting and have been for a while.

Edgeward

Welp, got a plat pack and that should last me from here to the end since it will be used for slots and the odd potato here and there.

I want to bite the bullet for buy more colors or Valkyr chains but still I want to save my plat for more warframe space or weapons spaces.

I whish mag would have a faster channeling crush spell since there are more instant aoe spells with the others chars, its soooo slow.

The frame-specific accessories honestly aren't worth spending your plat on.
Unless you see yourself using Valkyr for the remainder of the game...

As for mag...you should even be using crush much. Shield Polarize is her true AoE ultimate.

IvorB

Oh, I know the effects. Why would you want the default over Swindle?

Just based on the look of it to be honest. If I find I start needing the range I might swap again. I just prefer the way the OG helmet looks.

It's fine in Uncharted or Tomb Raider because we are playing someone else's adventure but Warframe is an RPG so it would be great to create a player character and just have us don the Warframe as a suit. The bosses refer to us by our PSN ids and refer to the Warframe as a "suit" which goes against the idea of it being an individual.

I see now that you are Kartsicles. Sorry I was being slow and wondering what everyone was talking about. I'm on the right page now.

Disclaimer: I haven't really read any of the lore of even the codex entries.

That said, in a sufficiently transhuman setting there's not much functional difference between a "suit" and a "body". If you can migrate your consciousness between bodies as easily as you can change clothes, it really can be a case of, "Hmm, what cybernetic ninja body do I want to be today?"

(Though I have to say, from the perspective of someone who doesn't read the lore, the in-game presentation really makes it feel like we're playing the villains. Sure, the Grineer are kind of fugly and gross, but then Tenno are dicks.)

IvorB

Disclaimer: I haven't really read any of the lore of even the codex entries.

That said, in a sufficiently transhuman setting there's not much functional difference between a "suit" and a "body". If you can migrate your consciousness between bodies as easily as you can change clothes, it really can be a case of, "Hmm, what cybernetic ninja body do I want to be today?"

(Though I have to say, from the perspective of someone who doesn't read the lore, the in-game presentation really makes it feel like we're playing the villains. Sure, the Grineer are kind of fugly and gross, but then Tenno are dicks.)

So you believe that the Tenno warframes are actually clones of the original super ninjas (like the cylons) and we are actually post-corporeal beings whose consciousness can inhabit their physical beings at will in order to do battle?

conspiracy-keanu-blank2.jpg

That sounds totally rad. I'm happy to go along with that.

So you believe that the Tenno warframes are actually clones of the original super ninjas (like the cylons) and we are actually post-corporeal beings whose consciousness can inhabit their physical beings at will in order to do battle?

conspiracy-keanu-blank2.jpg

Haha, well again, I have no proper knowledge of the setting's lore beyond the bits and pieces you actually get through gameplay. I'm just saying that in modern transhuman literature (pretty much anything positing a spacefaring society written after 1990) the idea of people being able to completely disassociate their consciousness from their body - by creating a digital "copy" for want of a better term - and exist independent of a body or in a completely different body is pretty common.

The impression that I get is that each faction has pursued "immortality" in a different way: the Corpus have made themselves into a sort of machine Hive-mind, the Grineer endlessly clone themselves, and the Tenno... well, it seems they have some nutty Void-tech that the other factions can't properly replicate and liken to sorcery due to being beyond their present comprehension.

That would be my guess as to why the warframes "sleep" in pods and go into stasis for such ridiculously long periods, though: they aren't asleep in the traditional sense, there's literally nobody home, it's just a cyborg body waiting for a brain to get uploaded into it.

(Still total dicks, though. Lotus, why do you tell me to be such an asshole...?)

http://date-masters.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/conspiracy-keanu-blank2.jpg

We are the Collective Unconscious

Beings in the games are archetypes

"User name" is the self

Tenno is the Persona

Warframes are the Anima and Animus

Corpus/Grineer/Infested are the shadow

Lotus is the consciousness

The whole game is Hayden Tenno's dream and hence explains why it's related but not direct cannon.
Karsticles is just his messed up mind.

IvorB

Haha, well again, I have no proper knowledge of the setting's lore beyond the bits and pieces you actually get through gameplay. I'm just saying that in modern transhuman literature (pretty much anything positing a spacefaring society written after 1990) the idea of people being able to completely disassociate their consciousness from their body - by creating a digital "copy" for want of a better term - and exist independent of a body or in a completely different body is pretty common.

The impression that I get is that each faction has pursued "immortality" in a different way: the Corpus have made themselves into a sort of machine Hive-mind, the Grineer endlessly clone themselves, and the Tenno... well, it seems they have some nutty Void-tech that the other factions can't properly replicate and liken to sorcery due to being beyond their present comprehension.

That would be my guess as to why the warframes "sleep" in pods and go into stasis for such ridiculously long periods, though: they aren't asleep in the traditional sense, there's literally nobody home, it's just a cyborg body waiting for a brain to get uploaded into it.

(Still total dicks, though. Lotus, why do you tell me to be such an asshole...?)

Well, in the absence of any lore from the developer, I am happy to take this and go with it.

Why do you think the Tenno are being dicks? Because we keep invading their sh*t and f**king it up?

SnakeEyes

Banned
Tonight's playtime actually was worth the effort:
- got a decent amount of Orokin Cells out of OD Assassinations
- got a new Corrupted Mod, Vile Precision, which I haven't had before
- got Sicarus Prime blueprint from wave 25 of an OD Def

Well, in the absence of any lore from the developer, I am happy to take this and go with it.

Why do you think the Tenno are being dicks? Because we keep invading their sh*t and f**king it up?

A few of the things The Stalker says and the fact some of the major NPCs call the Tenno "The Betrayers" strongly suggests that they have a background in superdickery.

Mostly, though, it's the actual missions. Aside from the Exterminate missions - "Tenno, we need to send a message to the Grineer. Kill fucking everyone" - there's one Assassination mission that made me feel downright sleazy.

"Tenno, the target of this assassination is a brilliant geneticist making great strides in the gene repair of the Grineer. Left to continue his work, he could potentially reverse centuries of genetic damage done from overuse of cloning technology."
"Oh! So, we're going to rescue this guy, huh?"
"No, Tenno."
"... Capture?"
"Tenno, he must not be allowed to repair the genetic degradation of the Grineer. We need these guys having some super gross stillborn babies. For reasons."
"I, uh... I guess that makes sense. Um, Lotus?"
"Yes, Tenno?"
"... you'd tell me if you were a Nazi, right?"
"Of course, Tenno. Now hurry up and murder this doctor before he can save his race."
"Kaaaaay."

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
A few of the things The Stalker says and the fact some of the major NPCs call the Tenno "The Betrayers" strongly suggests that they have a background in superdickery.

Mostly, though, it's the actual missions. Aside from the Exterminate missions - "Tenno, we need to send a message to the Grineer. Kill fucking everyone" - there's one Assassination mission that made me feel downright sleazy.

"Tenno, the target of this assassination is a brilliant geneticist making great strides in the gene repair of the Grineer. Left to continue his work, he could potentially reverse centuries of genetic damage done from overuse of cloning technology."
"Oh! So, we're going to rescue this guy, huh?"
"No, Tenno."
"... Capture?"
"Tenno, he must not be allowed to repair the genetic degradation of the Grineer. We need these guys having some super gross stillborn babies. For reasons."
"I, uh... I guess that makes sense. Um, Lotus?"
"Yes, Tenno?"
"... you'd tell me if you were a Nazi, right?"
"Of course, Tenno. Now hurry up and murder this doctor before he can save his race."
"Kaaaaay."

It always makes me uneasy that the assassinations are described as "contracts" by the Lotus.

Anyways, you should scan the stalker... his codex entry is, ahem, interesting...

Sdoots

I'm just going to straight up post the Stalkers entry. It's one of my favorite pieces of written lore in a game in recent memory, and scanning him 20 times is a pain in the ass. Spoiled for your safety/sanity. If you don't want your perception of the Tenno challenged, don't read this.

"Some have walked these desolate worlds while you have slept. Some like me. I remember what you did. I remember the day.
The Tenno appeared at the Terminus, gleaming and victorious. Our cold and gold Emperors, breathless, bathed you in savior's silk. Then came the sound. Across all our worlds, all at once, the ceremonial Naga drums. A royal salute to the honored Tenno. Ten solemn beats to declare the suffering was over. I watched from a distance, with the rest of the low Guardians. With each beat terror began to crush my throat. The Tenno were not stoic and silent. They were waiting. They were poised. I tried to call out but only a strangled whisper escaped.

When the ninth beat rang a torrent of blood filled the stadium, loosed by Tenno blades. The drums, the Empire, fell silent forever.

Now I hunt, dividing your numbers. Watching from that dark place, cataloging your sins, I am the ghost of retribution. You may forget but you are not innocent."

My own thoughts:

There's a damn good reason we were asleep. This, combined with the Excalibur Prime entry, lead into some interesting possibilites. The entry in question:

"The Sentients had won. They had turned our weapons, our technology, against us. The more advanced we became, the greater or losses. The war was over unless we found a new way. In our desperation we turned to the Void. The blinding night, the hellspace where our science and reason failed. We took the twisted few that had returned from that place. We built a frame around them, a conduit of their affliction. Gave them the weapons of the old ways. Gun and blade. A new warrior, a new code was born. These rejects, these Tenno, became our saviors. Warrior-Gods cast in steel and fury striking our enemies in a way they could never comprehend. Excalibur was the first."

Giving horribly mutated beings unspeakable power never turns out badly.

Top Bottom