• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warframe |OT| Ninjas Play Free - PS4

Foxyone

For the Pc players, how do you find the graphic on the ps4?
From what I see on youtube the ps4 is somewhat of a downgrade.

Have the graphic been improved in prior updates on PC?

Can I expect the ps4 version to improve visually?

Assuming no graphical improvements occurred in either version, PS4 version is probably a downgrade simply in terms of particles. It'd be interesting if they did improve graphics for a post-launch game, and I guess they would be getting more money they could use for it from all the new players on console.

Velion

ATTENTION WARFRAME GAF!

There is an alert on E-PRIME right now providing the AURA MOD ENERGY SIPHON as a REWARD. Its 10:54PM CST right now and there is about 35 MINS LEFT! If you NEED HELP send a message to Helscream and I will assist in obtaining this MOD. This is mod is absolutely necessary for ENDGAME.

Thanks, snagged it right after i read this msg.

Lucent

Got the Energy Siphon mod. Luckily there were others doing it and I got in some random group. Only me and someone else survived it though. I guess the other two used up all their lives.

Sykotik

Thanks Helscream. Got my mod in no time.

Not sure when i can use it though. My mag doesn't have an aura spot. ;-;

It's a slot between your mods and the mod list. Hard to see if it doesn't have a polarity slot, but it should be there. Keep in mind, the aura mod actually increases the amount of mod energy the warframe has, it doesn't have a cost.

Edgeward

It's a slot between your mods and the mod list. Hard to see if it doesn't have a polarity slot, but it should be there. Keep in mind, the aura mod actually increases the amount of mod energy the warframe has, it doesn't have a cost.

Holy crap. There it is! Man, the dark souls parallels can be spot on with how little is conveyed.

FUME5

I'm down if there's room in Gaf clan, PSN: FUME_5.

I'm in West Australia so GMT+8 is the timezone.

I've only put 5-6 hours in, but so far Pull (chose Mag obviously) seems pretty OP at these low levels.

Trigonx

wow, did a random group. Was a grind for that aura mod. All 4 made it out but barely.

Was really fun to be honest.

Thanks for the heads up

Sykotik

I'm down if there's room in Gaf clan, PSN: FUME_5.

I'm in West Australia so GMT+8 is the timezone.

I've only put 5-6 hours in, but so far Pull (chose Mag obviously) seems pretty OP at these low levels.

It is pretty OP. Couple it with Power Range and Power Strength and you got yourself a WMD... at least for most occasions.

Lucent

Woo! Finally got a chassis for volt. =D

EDIT: Those orokin towers are no joke. I thought "I could do survival". Nope.

Frologic

Anyone read the Eurogamer review? It's pretty harsh. I'm surprised how low it is compared to other sites that reviewed the game when it was in early beta where there was almost no content.

"There's no cover system, and only a stodgy crouch to keep you safe, so you'll mostly fall back on strafe-and-spray tactics that seem to work just fine."

Really?

"It's hard, though, to shake the feeling that the only reason this game is free to play is that nobody would pay money for something so scrappy and generic."

Shots fired.

I do agree with one point he made, the game does a poor job of explaining all the mechanics to new players.

ReaperXL7

Anyone read the Eurogamer review? It's pretty harsh. I'm surprised how low it is compared to other sites that reviewed the game when it was in early beta where there was almost no content.

"There's no cover system, and only a stodgy crouch to keep you safe, so you'll mostly fall back on strafe-and-spray tactics that seem to work just fine."

Really?

"It's hard, though, to shake the feeling that the only reason this game is free to play is that nobody would pay money for something so scrappy and generic."

Shots fired.

I do agree with one point he made, the game does a poor job of explaining all the mechanics to new players.

I kind of agree that it does not explain somethings very well (I have no idea how to do the slide, or wall run moves), but I also like to figure things out as im playing so thats not a huge deal to me.

Overall i think the game is a ton of fun though.

Frologic

It's a pretty bare bones review. Seems like he came into the game with a negative view on F2P games, played for a 2 hours and then came to a conclusion. He doesn't even mention the weapon/frame customization or different Warframes. I'm pretty sure he just gave up on it after not being given all the info via the game.

"The R1 button lashes out with this weapon, while holding it down delivers a slower but more powerful blow. It's functionally useless though, with a camera that is never up to the job in close quarters"

Is this really an issue with people? I play on PC so not sure how different it is on PS4 but the sword combat always felt smooth and satisfying, and I almost always charge attack. Recent hot fixes refined the melee combat even more btw.

Ardenyal

The default melee targeting option on ps4 is effectively useless, once you turn it off it works the way you expect it too.

The controls are a bit of a mess all around.

The sprint has no indication of whether it's on or off and doesn't get reset to normal running when you would expect it to (stopping should reset it, as should aiming down the sights.. I don't mind having to click the stick more often like in every shooter out there)

The deadzone on both axis extends from side to side. This means that you can tilt the stick to the right and then wiggle it up and down a fair bit but the aim just keeps going straight to the right. Aiming is very angular, just like in uncharted 3 before they patched it.

Those 2 are my main concerns with the controls at the moment. Hopefully they can fix these in an upcoming patch.

Edit: Oh and block is up on dpad... why not R3?

Carcetti

I've played this game for a week only and while I don't exactly love it, it seems perfectly competent in many areas. I hate reviews bitching on GAF but that Eurogamer review seems to be based on about 2 nights of playing.

desverger

I've played this game for a week only and while I don't exactly love it, it seems perfectly competent in many areas. I hate reviews bitching on GAF but that Eurogamer review seems to be based on about 2 nights of playing.

Yeah, that was one odd review. It seems like the reviewer just doesn't like the genre, or is just bitching because he's had a bad day or something. Baseless whining can constitute a review if the game is bad enough but I don't warrant that Warframe is such a game - it certainly needs work in some areas, notably in the user experience area and communicating/explaining stuff to the player, but I think the concept behind it works well enough.

What is most strange is that the game does have merits, but the review doesn't mention any of those. It's a gorgeous looking f2p game (on the pc at least, haven't tried the PS4 but it's difficult to see how they could've made it worse), and it does scratch the itch of just shooting a ton of bad dudes while having a small rpg and loot minigame on the side. What more could you expect from a title like this?

While disregarding the merits, the reviewer is instead piling on the game for being shallow and calling for "depth", but that is such a weird argument. Is more depth really something you want in this game? Does he want a ton of myriad mechanics and skill trees when the game is really just about a bunch of space ninjas shooting things. I disagree, I think adding too much depth into a title like this is a bad idea. The mod system works fine (yet the review doesn't even mention this) and allows for some degree of customization while staying out of your face.

Bottom line: it's certainly not such a bad game the lazy review is making it out to be.

casmith07

I stopped into the Dojo last night to contribute to research and I couldn't contribute to anything! Haha!

I want to contribute to some of the energy weapons, though. I've got plenty of circuits, ferrite, and other materials.

casmith07

The controls are a bit of a mess all around.

The sprint has no indication of whether it's on or off and doesn't get reset to normal running when you would expect it to (stopping should reset it, as should aiming down the sights.. I don't mind having to click the stick more often like in every shooter out there)

The deadzone on both axis extends from side to side. This means that you can tilt the stick to the right and then wiggle it up and down a fair bit but the aim just keeps going straight to the right. Aiming is very angular, just like in uncharted 3 before they patched it.

Those 2 are my main concerns with the controls at the moment. Hopefully they can fix these in an upcoming patch.

Edit: Oh and block is up on dpad... why not R3?

Nobody blocks. The dead zone can be solved by turning off auto-aim, which makes a WORLD of difference.

Corpus heads = popped like bottle caps for me now without auto-aim screwing up my aim.

casmith07

I love that it's not hand-holding. You'll play with someone more experienced, see him run into a crowd of enemies, do a back flip, jump kick, slide and shoot and then finish them off with a Radial Javelin and be like "whoa...I need to learn that."

I think part of the mechanics are learning as you play...like Tenno would probably learn from experience with one another in real life?

I don't know. Maybe I just love the game. Eurogamer has its reputation around here that I don't need to restate, too.

Had a few more games today. lost 3 lives due to me going underleveled against a boss lol.. still on mercury though.. so trying to grind up a few levels tonight then try survival..

Sykotik

I stopped into the Dojo last night to contribute to research and I couldn't contribute to anything! Haha!

I want to contribute to some of the energy weapons, though. I've got plenty of circuits, ferrite, and other materials.

As in you actually could not contribute, or there was nothing to contribute to? The energy weapon research should open up again within a day or so. Once that happens, then there should be a few things to research. Only one weapon, though. They got the time sink set up in all this research!

kaioshade

Even with the (infuriating) bugs, i still greatly enjoy the ps4 version. I put some time into both the ps4 and pc versions (PC is still my primary).

As soon as they iron out the framerate issues and bizarre bugs (inability to sell multiple items lol wut) the ps4 version can be something special.

casmith07

As in you actually could not contribute, or there was nothing to contribute to? The energy weapon research should open up again within a day or so. Once that happens, then there should be a few things to research. Only one weapon, though. They got the time sink set up in all this research!

The base mods were already under construction so I couldn't actually start anything. Once they're done and open up, I'll be able to participate.

Is there a preference for which weapon we want to research in Energy weapons to start?

casmith07

Had a few more games today. lost 3 lives due to me going underleveled against a boss lol.. still on mercury though.. so trying to grind up a few levels tonight then try survival..

If you want help going against General Vor on Mercury again, let me know. I want to try and replay that mission to collect the parts to craft his pistol.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Hmmm... I'm considering buying Ember.

You can't 'make' specific mod, right? Because I only have Fireball and don't want to continue running the lottery for hundreds of hours until I get the rest of her skills if I was building it.

I'd have to spend 15$ to get the warframe though... which is very deep into my 'bullshit F2P costs' territory.

Sykotik

Hmmm... I'm considering buying Ember.

You can't 'make' specific mod, right? Because I only have Fireball and don't want to continue running the lottery for hundreds of hours until I get the rest of her skills if I was building it.

I'd have to spend 20$ to get the warframe though... which is very deep into my 'bullshit F2P costs' territory.

I'm 90% sure you get the cards when you craft them... 90%.

Edit: Alright, 100%.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Im still waiting to port my PC character over to the PS4 wtf guys D: Was the main reason why I wanted to play Warframe on the PS4 was due to the announcement of that feature.

I ran around the dojo last night but was unable to contribute or figure out how to contribute. Also I got all the Volt blueprints so that might be my first build other than my Excalibur

casmith07

Has the clan logo appeared?

I need to see the layout lol. I hope its not a mess.

There's two great halls, kind of, which doesn't make sense. Otherwise one end is all of the expansion nodes like reactors and barracks, and the other end is the research labs. It's a good layout except for the double-great halls which makes no sense.

Z3M0G

The default melee targeting option on ps4 is effectively useless, once you turn it off it works the way you expect it too.

How is that? I didn't realize there were options around this. Does it slash in the direction you are facing instead of camera?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
There's two great halls, kind of, which doesn't make sense. Otherwise one end is all of the expansion nodes like reactors and barracks, and the other end is the research labs. It's a good layout except for the double-great halls which makes no sense.

GAF Gold needs its own hall, you can't expect us to mingle with the peasants.

In other news, I've almost close to maxing my starting frame.... which is easier frame to farm?

AndyD

aka andydumi
How is that? I didn't realize there were options around this. Does it slash in the direction you are facing instead of camera?

Yep. Aiming slash vs. camera slash.

Also, is is recommended to use some of my duplicate reactor mods to upgrade my basic mods like slash dash and radial javelin? Will upgrades cause a change in necessary skill points or just damage/speed and so forth.

Sykotik

Yep. Aiming slash vs. camera slash.

Also, is is recommended to use some of my duplicate reactor mods to upgrade my basic mods like slash dash and radial javelin? Will upgrades cause a change in necessary skill points or just damage/speed and so forth.

It increases the cost of the mod on the Warframe by 1 each upgrade, it doesn't increase the casting cost. You can use Reactors, but use duplicates of the cards you're upgrading first, since they give relatively large boosts early on. For example, Slash Dash + Slash Dash = a level up. Ranking up affects each skill differently. Leveling Slash Dash increases damage and range.

NeOak

The halls are to increase "building" capacity. A necessary evil D:

casmith07

How do you mute people on PS4? I'm playing with the worst guy ever right now.

Edit - also if anyone wants to take on the Corpus boss on Venus, let me know. I just unlocked it.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
How do you mute people on PS4? I'm playing with the worst guy ever right now.

Edit - also if anyone wants to take on the Corpus boss on Venus, let me know. I just unlocked it.

I don't think you can mute individual people, but you can turn off voice in the Options menu.

edit: guess I'm wrong!

Top Bottom