• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warframe |OT| Ninjas Play Free - PS4

VandalD

Still part of the core for the raid :p
Had no input lag from remote play but got a bit finicky on Vey Hek hence getting stuck in the roof and dying.
Is it worth buying Primed Pressure Point, Blood Rush and Body Count for my Galentine Prime and other melee weapons?
More damage is always nice, so yeah, if Baro has PPP, might as well. If you mean worth buying from other players, I'd say no, just wait. You can farm Drifting Contact yourself instead of buying Body Count, which will likely be expensive. Blood Rush with DC or BC makes pretty much any melee with at least about 15% base crit an amazing weapon that shreds enemies.

Or just grab an Atterax and use what's probably the most brokenly good setup in the game, especially if you combine it with naramon.

Jellie

More damage is always nice, so yeah, if Baro has PPP, might as well. If you mean worth buying from other players, I'd say no, just wait. You can farm Drifting Contact yourself instead of buying Body Count, which will likely be expensive. Blood Rush with DC or BC makes pretty much any melee with at least about 15% base crit an amazing weapon that shreds enemies.

Or just grab an Atterax and use what's probably the most brokenly good setup in the game, especially if you combine it with naramon.
Think I just missed the primed mod so might be a while. How expensive are all of those mods anyway?

Amon37

Cool.

Thanks for the help in "Raid School" yesterday as well. Was good to get some of the newer clan members through it. It'd be nice if more of us ran them, because some of the arcanes are really really good.

What time is it being done? I'm an older clan member but have only been in one raid and it was a failure lol.

VandalD

Think I just missed the primed mod so might be a while. How expensive are all of those mods anyway?
I'm not sure since I'm not on console. Not that I follow the market much on PC either. If you meant the ones in the picture, I'd expect Maiming Strike is the most expensive, since it's ridiculously strong, but I wouldn't be surprised if Blood Rush is worth even more. Weeping Wounds is maybe a bit cheaper, being more niche or lesser known because the power of status, I feel, is underestimated, but it's the key to doing mass slash and gas procs. Prime Reach is probably expensive too, as it's really good on weapons that already have good reach, such as the whips or Orthos Prime.

It's been a while since I've done the highest level stuff without any of those mods, but I feel like you could make melee work without them, especially if you use a frame that can stun, blind, or put enemies to sleep for finishers.

Jellie

I'm not sure since I'm not on console. Not that I follow the market much on PC either. If you meant the ones in the picture, I'd expect Maiming Strike is the most expensive, since it's ridiculously strong, but I wouldn't be surprised if Blood Rush is worth even more. Weeping Wounds is maybe a bit cheaper, being more niche or lesser known because the power of status, I feel, is underestimated, but it's the key to doing mass slash and gas procs. Prime Reach is probably expensive too, as it's really good on weapons that already have good reach, such as the whips or Orthos Prime.

It's been a while since I've done the highest level stuff without any of those mods, but I feel like you could make melee work without them, especially if you use a frame that can stun, blind, or put enemies to sleep for finishers.
Meant primed pressure point, blood rush and body count prices as well as the nightmare mod you suggested

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
OK seriously WTF DE? Who designs a riven challenge to catch a simarus target without taking damage while hobbled and with no powers in a game filled with hit scan enemies? Fucking shotgun mother fuckers.

Got over halfway only once in 15+ runs and then fucking stalker shows up >.>

OK seriously WTF DE? Who designs a riven challenge to catch a simarus target without taking damage while hobbled and with no powers in a game filled with hit scan enemies? Fucking shotgun mother fuckers.
On monday, eating a burrito.

Some challenges are kinda mindblown for the reward you can get

VandalD

Apparently you can use powers until the target shows up, so try Ivara if you have her and just stealth the entire mission, or maybe use a Huras/Shade. I haven't had one of those god awful tests yet, so I haven't been able to try the stuff people are saying. Good luck with that.

Edit: Rhino or Nezha might work too. Use Iron Skin/Warding Halo at the start of the mission to not take damage. Damage while those abilities are up doesn't count in your mission stats, so it could be worth a shot.

VariantX

Yep. Some of these challenges basically scream without actually saying out loud, "literally impossible to do without X frame(s)" There's another one where you have to survive X amount of time without killing anyone in a survival. That's cute, why not just come out and say, don't bother if you haven't already farmed Ivara yet, its next to impossible any other way to get life support drops without killing anyone because chests simply drop them at too low of a rate + not nearly enough of them in any level.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Wow that was hard. Yeah go rhino for sure. Loki I kept randomly failing, though usually not even close to the target. Half the time was in a cleared room. Anyway having iron skin from before didn`t seem to matter. Pretty sure the dude glanced me a couple times but it didn`t fail me. Guy mostly ran away and made those blue clouds though.

Holy shit it`s a zarr riven. Plus to flight speed, total damage, and impact. Minus to zoom (lol). Not bad. You can`t reroll one attribute you gotta redo the whole thing right?

VariantX

Wow that was hard. Yeah go rhino for sure. Loki I kept randomly failing, though usually not even close to the target. Half the time was in a cleared room. Anyway having iron skin from before didn`t seem to matter. Pretty sure the dude glanced me a couple times but it didn`t fail me. Guy mostly ran away and made those blue clouds though.

Holy shit it`s a zarr riven. Plus to flight speed, total damage, and impact. Minus to zoom (lol). Not bad. You can`t reroll one attribute you gotta redo the whole thing right?

Like anyone ever needs to aim with the Zarr, so its basically all positives. Yeah no locking in stats or attributes, its all completely randomized, which is basically the WF communities #1 complaint about rivens.

frizby

Got this exact one and got it the first try with Loki. You can use powers, just not on the target. Invis. Stealth scan. Done.

The one I got that was brutal was three headshots in one aimglide. I had to level up two separate mods to get that one done!

Still haven't gotten a good riven. All 10 of mine are pretty bad other than maybe the Supra, which is a gun I despised. So yeah.

Like anyone ever needs to aim with the Zarr, so its basically all positives. Yeah no locking in stats or attributes, its all completely randomized, which is basically the WF communities #1 complaint about rivens.

Wait...you can change the attributes? I thought it was just the stats for the attributes. I have a Simulor riven that's garbage (+ zoom...on the simulor...smh), but if I can change its attributes, I will.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
I tried a bunch with loki but as mentioned above kept randomly failing, even with no one around. Got it 1st try with rhino.

And yeah use kuva to reroll rivens.

OT: finally beat mega-satan with the lost in BOI: Afterbirth. Feels good man.

Wait...you can change the attributes? I thought it was just the stats for the attributes. I have a Simulor riven that's garbage (+ zoom...on the simulor...smh), but if I can change its attributes, I will.

The good atributes stats a rare chance to appear anyway which is bullshit diablo RNG mechanic

VandalD

The one I got that was brutal was three headshots in one aimglide. I had to level up two separate mods to get that one done!

For the headshot challenge, you can go to Jupiter and find one of those vents that constantly pushes you up into the air and just stay there aim gliding until you get it. Used Vauban to make everything not move and got it pretty quickly.

And yeah, whenever you reroll a riven, the attributes themselves change, along with the values. Entirely random.

Been playing this for about a month now and for the most part enjoying it but I have a few issues that are really dulling the experience. Maybe some of you can give some advice.

1) Archwing. I find the controls absolutely appalling and no matter how many times I practice I am not getting any better. In open flight maps I spend half my time thrusting through the air avoiding combat so my shields recover because there's something that keeps harming me and I'm uncertain what it is. That's just not fun. But that doesn't even compare to the nightmare that's the Kepler rush mission. I tossed away 3 hours this evening trying it in and out of groups and can barely make it to the halfway point in time. The controls just do not work for me. The map doesn't work as soon as you rotate a little. You have to go fast, but not too fast lest you hit a wall or mine. What am I doing wrong?

2) Chat system. It feels just so cumbersome. This evening I was trying to locate a trinity prime set to buy and someone was selling it in trade chat. So I spent a good minute or two clicking though hundreds of names to find the one, then thought I was selecting it to PM them. But apparently instead I must have sent the message into the trade channel because suddenly I was bombarded by dozens of PMs. The chat system then glitched (I think?) so that I could only see 1 line of text. And that frustrated me to the point I just logged out to do something else because I didn't want to spend the next 15 minutes telling people I posted in chat by mistake. Is there a calmer place to post buy/sell requests that I can use an actual keyboard with? Also how in the world do I chat during a mission? I always have to go to options in order to pull up an input.

3) Network Not Responding. I get this constantly, usually after completing a mission. My network is fine. Every other game on my PC and PS4 connect and work fine. It is just Warframe that seems to have an issue. Every time it happens I have to close application then relaunch the game and it works again for a bit. Some nights I have to restart the game after every mission. Is there anyway to troubleshoot this?

Tabby

2) Chat system. It feels just so cumbersome. This evening I was trying to locate a trinity prime set to buy and someone was selling it in trade chat. So I spent a good minute or two clicking though hundreds of names to find the one, then thought I was selecting it to PM them. But apparently instead I must have sent the message into the trade channel because suddenly I was bombarded by dozens of PMs. The chat system then glitched (I think?) so that I could only see 1 line of text. And that frustrated me to the point I just logged out to do something else because I didn't want to spend the next 15 minutes telling people I posted in chat by mistake. Is there a calmer place to post buy/sell requests that I can use an actual keyboard with? Also how in the world do I chat during a mission? I always have to go to options in order to pull up an input.

I couldn't agree more. Trading via the chat just seems so primitive and out dated. I'd much rather just have an Auction House or something similar.

I just don't bother buying stuff because of it. I'd honestly rather not have something or grind for it.

There's websites and such that help you find people that want to trade, though I've never used it so I can't speak for how well that works.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
1)Archwing had better controls before. If you get Titania or go to uranus the underwater sections have the old controls.

2)Yeah trade chat is shit. Reminds me diablo 2 lol The vets/sharks love it but most ppl hate it. I want an ebay/auction house but devs make more plat from whales/trade sharks so they will never add one. I have a trin set if you still need one

3)Network errors have been more frequent lately I assume it's their servers. They did get ddos'ed a lot for a few months there. This game still has matchmaking and other bugs from 3 years ago when I started. I had 1 errors where I couldn't play for almost 5 months. Could log in but the second I opened the nav menu or chat it crashed. No error msg just ctd. DE is definitely a add stuff test later dev.

1)Archwing had better controls before. If you get Titania or go to uranus the underwater sections have the old controls.
Yeah it really did. And better animations. Nowadays you find yourself firing at an angle while your warframe is pointing forward and its just awkward as hell.

Archwing is a classic example of one step forwards, two steps back, with each revision. The idea is great, as is the concept of missions that blend on-foot and arch/shark-wing action and the dedicated tilesets and environments, but its just a finicky mess across the board in execution right now.

I've done a little of the underwater stuff and it seemed much more adequate. I was chocking it up to being slower paced. Didn't really realize it was a different control scheme. I think my largest issue with Archwing is there's no real way to practice. Like just a free flight mode where you can play around with the thing. Instead you just have to keep picking missions, and there's no quick way to reset them so a lot of time is spent at loading screens. If there was just a 'reset mission' option it'd help some of the frustration.

I've done a little of the underwater stuff and it seemed much more adequate. I was chocking it up to being slower paced. Didn't really realize it was a different control scheme. I think my largest issue with Archwing is there's no real way to practice. Like just a free flight mode where you can play around with the thing. Instead you just have to keep picking missions, and there's no quick way to reset them so a lot of time is spent at loading screens. If there was just a 'reset mission' option it'd help some of the frustration.
Pick a low level solo extermination mission - enemies are usually spread out into clusters in the open space levels which you usually have to hunt down yourself, so you should have some time and space to mess around.

New archwing controls is a pain due when you inadvertently do 180 turn and all the waypoints are messed up and hard to redirect yourself to normal view.

Oh, Glast Gambit is already on cert, nice

Pick a low level solo extermination mission - enemies are usually spread out into clusters in the open space levels which you usually have to hunt down yourself, so you should have some time and space to mess around.

Yeah I been doing them but it's just not seeming to help at all in this rush mission. I had thought for days that it was just me but I've been running public tries all day and I'm somehow the one that makes it closest each time. Still haven't even made it to the things you're supposed to destroy though.

I wonder if it's just as frustrating on PC or if they just failed to balance it when they implemented it on console. They should have played Zone of the Enders or Omega Boost to get an idea of good space combat.

VariantX

I couldn't agree more. Trading via the chat just seems so primitive and out dated. I'd much rather just have an Auction House or something similar.

I just don't bother buying stuff because of it. I'd honestly rather not have something or grind for it.

There's websites and such that help you find people that want to trade, though I've never used it so I can't speak for how well that works.

You're not the only one. Every time people start complaining about trade chat in the WF community, a vocal contingent of veteran players who live and die in trade chat will come and shout those people down. The cumbersome interface is part of what keeps trade values as high as possible without taking into account how rare and valuable the item is to the current metagame. If you could go and place an item for sale and go back to playing the game without having to sit and stare at text for however long it takes to sell that item, the experience of playing the game would be better and more streamlined, but prices would tank because of the ease of selling. You're no longer shouting against a scrolling wall of text that holds your sale message in view for a whopping 3-4 seconds at most.

VandalD

Yeah I been doing them but it's just not seeming to help at all in this rush mission. I had thought for days that it was just me but I've been running public tries all day and I'm somehow the one that makes it closest each time. Still haven't even made it to the things you're supposed to destroy though.

I wonder if it's just as frustrating on PC or if they just failed to balance it when they implemented it on console. They should have played Zone of the Enders or Omega Boost to get an idea of good space combat.
There's so much drift and momentum that the movement itself doesn't feel very good on PC either. And it's still not much fun to shoot such tiny enemies in large environments. Getting a Fluctus can help mitigate that at least. I thought archwing was fine with the previous movement system (like Titania). Six degrees of freedom just ends up being disorienting, especially since the minimap doesn't adapt.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Man DE really needs to balance how rare some of these god damn tilesets are. I've done over 100 runs looking for that rare extraction point on ceres and nothing. Spent twice as long looking for 5-2 and 12-3 kuria that all the others put together.

Man DE really needs to balance how rare some of these god damn tilesets are. I've done over 100 runs looking for that rare extraction point on ceres and nothing. Spent twice as long looking for 5-2 and 12-3 kuria that all the others put together.

Put your settings on Solo , playing solo makes the system create large rooms because playing on a team forces the system to save resources and create small and medium rooms instead.

The rarest Kuria in on ceres on the big extraction point, I had to
scam
one newbie to invite me to do rescue Darvo quest where the layout is forced with that specific extraction point

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
LOL I saw few ppl suggest that online. What a joke that's the only good way. Funny thing I saw that tile like a day before starting to search for the lil fuckers, same with 12-3 on uranus. I'll try solo though.

Which quest was that? Can we redo quest next update yet? PC can right?

VandalD

LOL I saw few ppl suggest that online. What a joke that's the only good way. Funny thing I saw that tile like a day before starting to search for the lil fuckers, same with 12-3 on uranus. I'll try solo though.

Which quest was that? Can we redo quest next update yet? PC can right?
It's been a really long time, but I'm not sure it was part of a quest. Maybe Vor's Prize? But no, PC can only replay Second Dream and TWW.

frizby

Update seems to be out. Downloading something now.

Also, I was wrong about the Ash rework. With Fatal Teleport, some duration and Arcane Trickery, he's a lot of fun to play. The numbers coming off Fatal Telport are crazy.

Hmm, what's this? A 50 percent off market purchase login in reward...one day before Nidus comes to console?

You don't say?

It seems silly to waste on anything else.....

GlamFM

Banned
Downloading this right now as a substitute for Destiny.

What should I know before I start?

Class/Skill-points etc...?

Thanks!

VandalD

Downloading this right now as a substitute for Destiny.

What should I know before I start?

Class/Skill-points etc...?

Thanks!
There's a lot to know that the game will never teach you, unfortunately. The first choice you make, which warframe to start with, is pretty important as you won't be able to get another yourself for a decent amount of time. I would encourage you just to pick the one that sounds fun to you, but if you can't decide between them, I would suggest Excalibur. Not only is he the best starter, at least IMO, he's also not as easily gotten as Volt or Mag.

Going further than that, I'll just quote a post I made for someone else.

Some newbie stuff:

Don't spend your platinum on weapons or warframes unless you absolutely know what you're getting into. Spend your starting platinum on weapon or warframe slots as you want them.

Learn how to mod your weapons. You always want your best "base damage" mod on your weapons. That means Serration for rifles/bows, Point Blank for shotguns, Hornet Strike for secondary weapons, and Pressure Point for your melee. Fusing these mods to be more powerful is a big part of how you "level up" in this game.

You'll start out with Damaged versions of those mods. It's up to you if you want to rank those up with fusion, but I'm sure if you get into the GAF guild and ask nicely, some nice players can hook you up with undamaged versions once you're able to trade stuff. It took me a really long time to get a Hornet Strike mod, but that's luck for you.

Modding for your warframes themselves is generally more flexible than modding weapons, but early on I would focus on Vitality (health) and Redirection (shields) for survivability. You'll also have Damaged versions of these mods, but you should quickly find undamaged ones yourself if you haven't already. Much later on, when you have means to heal yourself, Redirection falls off in value a lot, but Vitality is always great to have.

Rank all your stuff up to 30 before selling it, if you want to sell it, so that you get all of the mastery XP you can get from them. You need mastery XP to raise your Mastery Rank, which unlocks more stuff for you to use. For instance, if you started with a MK1 Braton, you'd want to rank it up to 30 before selling it and making a regular Braton.

Sorry if that's an incomprehensible mess. There's a lot to know with Warframe.

GlamFM

Banned
There's a lot to know that the game will never teach you, unfortunately. The first choice you make, which warframe to start with, is pretty important as you won't be able to get another yourself for a decent amount of time. I would encourage you just to pick the one that sounds fun to you, but if you can't decide between them, I would suggest Excalibur. Not only is he the best starter, at least IMO, he's also not as easily gotten as Volt or Mag.

Going further than that, I'll just quote a post I made for someone else.

Keep this link handy for reference (mechanics, frames, gear and more):

Warframe Wiki

Thanks! That helps a lot.

I don't know how PS4 downloads work since I do most gaming on PC. But is it normal for updates to appear 'stuck'? Mine has reported the same progress for half an hour and says 99+ hours. This is after resetting the console and testing network.

Thanks! That helps a lot.
Sure thing. I'd recommend taking a good look at the Damage 2.0 mechanics once you get your bearings. Its the key to maximizing your damage to different factions and enemies and makes a lot of the game tick.

As opposed to Destiny's yellow health-sponge bars, each type of health/armor/shielding in Warframe has its own resistances and weaknesses to exploit, and each weapon in your arsenal and each warframe attack power plays into it.

Its also part of the fun in getting equipped for particular missions once you've acquired a decent arsenal. So for instance if you know you're going up against the Corpus, who have a mix of shields, human flesh and robotics you create a loadout focused on Impact (good against shields), Cold (the same), Toxin (which can bypass shields) and some combination damage types like Magnetic.

It can get pretty deep, especially once you have a decent set of mods and weapons.

Edit: And of course, the Mod 2.0 system is worth understanding well to get your phat loots on.

frizby

Reminder to log in and contribute Mutagen Samples to clan for Hema research if you haven't already. Currently sitting just over 30K of 50K.

Is Vauban straight up garbage or is there some sort of trick to playing him? I've never had any sort of difficulty on a defense mission until I started to level him as mastery fodder.

Is Vauban straight up garbage or is there some sort of trick to playing him? I've never had any sort of difficulty on a defense mission until I started to level him as mastery fodder.

Ehh.....Vauboon is like the best CC frame for defense missions but bad at doing damage , you have to rely fully on your weapons

VariantX

If you're playing him to kill enemies, you're doing it wrong. Your job is to control the enemy's movement and secure entry points into a space you might be defending. Vauban can lock down entire rooms and leave dozens of enemies completely immobilized for 20-30 seconds at a time, block off narrow doorways and passages with his #4 and for shits and giggles, throw out a crap ton of #1's around an defense objective they'll zap the targets for pure electricity damage which will likely proc and stun them for a second or so. If you let up you'll get shredded because he's squishy as hell, even with his worthless passive that gives him an armor buff for every squad member that within 25 m of you.

Ehh.....Vauboon is like the best CC frame for defense missions but bad at doing damage , you have to rely fully on your weapons

I must be doing something wrong because I've found him terrible for CC. Unless I guess concuss turns things around (My Vauban is only 23 I think). Vortex is the only skill that seems effective but I don't have the mods yet to really support it for constant use. Maybe he's just not meant for solo.

VariantX

I must be doing something wrong because I've found him terrible for CC. Unless I guess concuss turns things around (My Vauban is only 23 I think). Vortex is the only skill that seems effective but I don't have the mods yet to really support it for constant use. Maybe he's just not meant for solo.

Don't bother with minelayer too much, its way too situational and only trip laser actually lasts long enough for it to even matter and then you only want to use that in narrow places where you know the enemy will funnel in and have to hit it like a doorway. You want to use bastille and vortex as your CC mainstays. Bastille is pretty much the best CC in the whole of the game and the only thing it cant do is block bullets or do any direct damage besides hitting the enemy directly with the grenade. With some duration, power, and range mods you can pretty much shut down a room. Thats why you'll commonly see them in raid parties for LoR to keep enemies away long enough so the team can actually complete the objectives.

Bastille and Vortex are you main CC abilities, I recomend bastille due its insane area and vortex for infested

Should I be forgoing survivability mods for ability enhancements on Vauban? The first thing I noticed when starting him was how low his defenses seemed so I gave him some pumped up health/shield mods to try and make up for that. But that meant I didn't have the capacity to support buffing his skills. Ironically I only have issues with him in defenses because he has no way to clear the field like Ember and Frost who I play as most frequently. For grinding survivals though I can just run around slicing things like on any other frame while tossing in the occasional vortex when there's too many.

Also I don't really do raids yet, and don't even know what LoR means. I've only been playing for a month and most of it's been grinding for mastery ranks.

Top Bottom