• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warframe |OT| Ninjas Play Free - PS4

Mirimar

OE9YscU.png

Up now, can someone invite me to this? I haven't cleared yet. PSN: molnizzle

Ah man, I hadn't checked this thread and was about to mention that the twitter feed is a life saver. I actually just did this and we had to rush because we didn't even have the level unlocked. Sorry dude. This will go perfectly with my Mag Prime, though. This will be complete right as my warframe finishes. So hype!

molnizzle

Ah man, I hadn't checked this thread and was about to mention that the twitter feed is a life saver. I actually just did this and we had to rush because we didn't even have the level unlocked. Sorry dude. This will go perfectly with my Mag Prime, though. This will be complete right as my warframe finishes. So hype!

I ended up just rushing to it myself. Got in with about 2 minutes left. Awesome. :)

The Twitter feed IS amazing for stuff like this. I activated push notifications for @WFAlertsPS4 on the official Twitter app for iOS. On Android there's an official Warframe Nexus app (iOS coming in the future, it seems) but the push notifications work well enough. Thank you, Twitter!

casmith07

The repetition hits me in a bad way when it comes to replaying boss battles multiple times to get drops. I just can't talk myself into doing it as that's exactly where the fun turns into a grind.

I absolutely love destroying Captain Vor over and over. All that smug shit-talking after the opening tutorial scene, watching him explode is so satisfying.

I absolutely love destroying Captain Vor over and over. All that smug shit-talking after the opening tutorial scene, watching him explode is so satisfying.
Well people seem to dig it but I'm just not wired for it.

It becomes all about the drop for me and not about the moment to moment gameplay, and I'm definitely a "journey is better than the destination", "stop and smell the roses" kind of player. No worries though, in co-op I keep a nice jogging pace going ;p

I like goals that take me to new places, and I like goals that have me revisiting previous locales, but I just don't like goals where I'm expected to repeat the same mission a random number of times. Just the thought of it bores me to tears.

Luckily I haven't felt the need. A little pressure yeah, but so far not enough to get me to run the hamster wheel. And there's plenty left of my star map to explore right now. Am still making my way through Mars.

I like Mars though. Maybe I'll never leave it.

casmith07

I ended up just rushing to it myself. Got in with about 2 minutes left. Awesome. :)

The Twitter feed IS amazing for stuff like this. I activated push notifications for @WFAlertsPS4 on the official Twitter app for iOS. On Android there's an official Warframe Nexus app (iOS coming in the future, it seems) but the push notifications work well enough. Thank you, Twitter!

I just deleted Twitter. Ugh.

Guess I need to start a new account.

Mirimar

I don't worry about farming boss battles anymore since I got Trinity. You just do the Well of Life and Energy Vampire combo, most bosses die in 15-20 seconds. It's stupid, each pulse does at least 4500 dmg a pulse. Gonna make my Saryn and Nyx parts farming so much easier.

molnizzle

It becomes all about the drop for me and not about the moment to moment gameplay, and I'm definitely a "journey is better than the destination", "stop and smell the roses" kind of player. No worries though, in co-op I keep a nice jogging pace going ;p

This probably isn't the game for you, honestly. This is Diablo/Monster Hunter on steroids. The entire game is just "grinding" to become slightly more powerful so you can fight slightly more powerful enemies. My favorite type of game!

This probably isn't the game for you, honestly. This is Diablo/Monster Hunter on steroids. The entire game is just "grinding" to become slightly more powerful so you can fight slightly more powerful enemies. My favorite type of game!
I haven't had a problem yet. The normal grind is a good one, and a varied one, with enough breaks in between to fuck with mods or craft some stuff. Its literally just repeating the same mission multiple times until I get item X that I have an issue with, so I just don't do it.

I love Diablo BTW, but I don't do the same areas over and over again in sequence in that game either.

SnakeEyes

Banned
I haven't had a problem yet. The normal grind is a good one, and a varied one, with enough breaks in between to fuck with mods or craft some stuff. Its literally just repeating the same mission multiple times until I get item X that I have an issue with, so I just don't do it.

I love Diablo BTW, but I don't do the same areas over and over again in sequence in that game either.
I have found that you can break up the monotony of darkly lit spaceships and facilities (which I've been doing a lot recently) by doing the Tower missions for the rare loot. Nice and bright environments and nice drops to boot. It may be because I'm stuck with a run of of planets that are all badly lit, but I cannot wait to get back to the outdoor environments :)

The problem is that the gameplay isn't rewarding like Monster Hunter is. I don't feel awesome clearing a little piece of Venus infested with mindless drones like I do when I KO Nargacuga.

I think Warframe is decent, but it needs like two or three patches on PS4 before I'd even begin to call it a good game. The controls are just not good.

I disagree 100% - controls are super tight when you learn them.
On the console I do struggle often enough, but I can certainly see the potential once they can remove the jank.

Some alternate control schemes would go a long way as well.

I have found that you can break up the monotony of darkly lit spaceships and facilities (which I've been doing a lot recently) by doing the Tower missions for the rare loot. Nice and bright environments and nice drops to boot. It may be because I'm stuck with a run of of planets that are all badly lit, but I cannot wait to get back to the outdoor environments :)
Solo some of the missions can get very hairy, and co-op with friends is our latest virtual meetup for casual asplosions and catching up. Its good for that.

I disagree 100% - controls are super tight when you learn them.

I have learned them. They're janky, there's no camera sensitivity option (not aiming sensitivity, camera) and the parkour stuff only works half the time.

Game also has a near unplayable framerate with four people in a lobby. That or my PS4 is underpowered.

Xevren

I have learned them. They're janky, there's no camera sensitivity option (not aiming sensitivity, camera) and the parkour stuff only works half the time.

Game also has a near unplayable framerate with four people in a lobby. That or my PS4 is underpowered.

Frame rate definitely has issues on certain stages, when it's bad it's REAL bad. But for the most part it will be fine with 4 players.

SnakeEyes

Banned
The ONLY time I've ever had framerate issues was in a Tower Defence mission last night. We'd made it to the 15min mark and there were so many enemies on screen it was terrifying. Other than that one incident I have not had a single framerate issue and I've been playing since the PS4 launched in NZ (about a week).

Hopefully the framerate issue is something that will get sorted out with Update 11, or at least with an update in the future.

Bruno

Framerate issue is there and it sucks. Controls I have no issues with, parkour stuff working only half the time means you haven't learned it yet.

molnizzle

The problem is that the gameplay isn't rewarding like Monster Hunter is. I don't feel awesome clearing a little piece of Venus infested with mindless drones like I do when I KO Nargacuga.

I think Warframe is decent, but it needs like two or three patches on PS4 before I'd even begin to call it a good game. The controls are just not good.

I wholeheartedly disagree. I feel awesome as fuck when I join a party to clear a Tower III Void mission and take a level 60 ancient down to 20% in one charge swipe. Doing the planetary map's "normal" filler missions (and by "normal" I mean "anything that's not Survival or Endless Defense") isn't supposed to make you feel awesome. Those missions exist for two reasons: to get you acclimated to the game, and to create the opportunity for alert/nightmare missions later on. That's why people rush through them!

I like Monster Hunter a lot but Warframe seems like it has much longer legs. The combat is much faster paced and the weapon variety is still there. I'm over 100 hours in now. Definitely my "how the fuck hadn't I heard of this before?" game of the year.

Framerate issue is there and it sucks. Controls I have no issues with, parkour stuff working only half the time means you haven't learned it yet.

Yup. I felt that it was broken too (see my earlier posts in this thread lol), but it's not. It doesn't work like you probably expect, but once you get it down it works 100% of the time. If you miss a jump, hit a wall at a wrong angle or neglect to get a proper sprint going beforehand then that's on you.

Frame-rate is a legit complaint though. Shit sucks when there's 20-30 enemies swarming you at once, especially if your group has a Nova/Nekros/Mag/etc blowing the shit out of everything. Double sucks if you're hosting. I really hope that they optimize this in future patches.

Those missions exist for two reasons: to get you acclimated to the game, and to create the opportunity for alert/nightmare missions later on. That's why people rush through them!
Can you explain a little more what you mean here?

Those missions are the meat and bones of the game for me, and thus why I don't rush through them, much less rush ahead of other players through them. What do you mean? Are you just going through the motions? What makes the alerts any better outside of the rewards? Some of the alerts I've played didn't seem appreciably more difficult or varied than normal runs.

I get the hint here of a perspective of the game I just don't quite grock but that I see a lot of online.

Not saying you're playing it wrong or anything, I just honestly don't get it. ;p

Edit: Actually, let me try this another way. When you sit down to play, whats your typical session look like?

As I'm still early in the game I'll start with an early boss, then do a string of missions to open up new areas leading to the boss fight. We might quit then and there or continue to play on, doing the same. But that's the core of it.

Once we've unlocked everything I figure our strings will be more determined by resources as well as gameplay variety.

molnizzle

Can you explain a little more what you mean here?

Those missions are the meat and bones of the game for me, and thus why I don't rush through them, much less rush ahead of other players through them. What do you mean? Are you just going through the motions? What makes the alerts any better outside of the rewards? Some of the alerts I've played didn't seem appreciably more difficult or varied than normal runs.

I get the hint here of a perspective of the game I just don't quite grock but that I see a lot of online.

Not saying you're playing it wrong or anything, I just honestly don't get it. ;p

Like Diablo, Warframe is a game about acquiring better gear. Unlike Diablo, the loot tables are static and, for the most part, known. "Gear" in Warframe == mods. If you set out to optimize your frame and weapons then you know exactly what mods you need and exactly where (and how often) you can get them. It's a waste of time for me to spent 30 minutes killing everything on some Rescue mission when the only reason I'm even doing the mission in the first place is to unlock one after it: a Survival mission that was carefully selected because the faction is Infested and it's Tier III. I need that mission unlocked so I can grind it repeteadly for the 6.67% chance that a Flow mod is given for the 20-minute reward tier.

This game is about optimizing your gear, and the most efficient way of doing that is through Survival and Endless Defense missions. I'll get at least twice as much XP and three times as many mods/Fusion Cores as you if I spend my 30 minutes on a Survival and you spend yours clearing every enemy and opening every container on a Rescue. Plus I have the chance to get one of my "optimal" mods at 20 minutes! Win/win/win. That Rescue mission is a mere hurdle, not something to be treasured.

As for Alerts, it's all about the rewards. There are many items that can only be acquired through alerts (or platinum, obviously). Orokin Catalysts and Reactors (aka "potatoes") are essentially required for every endgame weapon/Warframe and they only pop up as rewards for random Alert missions. During a good week there might be 2-3 chances to get one. Hopefully you catch the Alert (they can occur at any random time, 24/7/365) or have the greatest lucky streak of all time and acquire a bunch through daily login rewards because those are the only ways to get potatoes and you'll need a lot of them if you're like me and enjoy switching up your weapons and using different Warframes. The best Aura mod in the game can also only be acquired as an Alert reward. It randomly pops up about once every two weeks on average. The Warframe helmets are another good example. Those seem to pop up just about bi-weekly as well, and if you don't want to spend 75 platinum apiece then Alerts are the only way to get them.

Nightmare Mode is also excellent because completing a mission awards you a guaranteed Rare mod that can only be earned in Nightmare. The Nightmare mods are great because they all have two affixes, both positive (example). Nightmare missions only show up on a given planet after you've cleared every single one of the planet's missions. Even after 100 hours I've still not completed many missions, so every now and then I'll knock some out if none of my friends are available and there's not much Void activity in chat. I don't give even half a fuck about the random Capture mission I'm doing on Mars -- I'm only doing it because I initially skipped it when I first made my way through the planet. I'm only here to unlock Nightmare Mode on Mars! The faster I can get through the mission, the faster I can get back to actually progressing.

Hopefully that makes sense. =P

casmith07

Man I will be so happy when Update 11 arrives on PS4 and we can actually trade items!

I have THREE Seer Pistol Barrels, and zero receivers.

Only need 80 more Rubedo to start work on my Rhino Chassis though. Pretty excited.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Man I will be so happy when Update 11 arrives on PS4 and we can actually trade items!

I have THREE Seer Pistol Barrels, and zero receivers.

Only need 80 more Rubedo to start work on my Rhino Chassis though. Pretty excited.
Update 11 finally puts in trading?! SWEET!

casmith07

Wholeheartedly disagree. The controls are tight and simple, but the possibilities are very complex for dodges/parkour/combo moves.

And the gameplay is absolutely rewarding if you're playing the game correctly.

casmith07

Update 11 finally puts in trading?! SWEET!

Yeah, which is good. I have so many mods for frames I'm probably not going to use or be able to construct for a long time, I'd rather trade them to people for weapons or other things I can use on my Excalibur frame.

Just changed my appearance too...pretty happy with the Storm Shadow theme I've got going on my dude ^_^

Lucent

Wow. The current alert mission is no joke. level 60+ enemies beat the crap out of me. But I guess it didn't help I went in with my fresh level 8 Trinity. lol

Gaz_RB

Like Diablo, Warframe is a game about acquiring better gear. Unlike Diablo, the loot tables are static and, for the most part, known. "Gear" in Warframe == mods. If you set out to optimize your frame and weapons then you know exactly what mods you need and exactly where (and how often) you can get them. It's a waste of time for me to spent 30 minutes killing everything on some Rescue mission when the only reason I'm even doing the mission in the first place is to unlock one after it: a Survival mission that was carefully selected because the faction is Infested and it's Tier III. I need that mission unlocked so I can grind it repeteadly for the 6.67% chance that a Flow mod is given for the 20-minute reward tier.

This game is about optimizing your gear, and the most efficient way of doing that is through Survival and Endless Defense missions. I'll get at least twice as much XP and three times as many mods/Fusion Cores as you if I spend my 30 minutes on a Survival and you spend yours clearing every enemy and opening every container on a Rescue. Plus I have the chance to get one of my "optimal" mods at 20 minutes! Win/win/win. That Rescue mission is a mere hurdle, not something to be treasured.

As for Alerts, it's all about the rewards. There are many items that can only be acquired through alerts (or platinum, obviously). Orokin Catalysts and Reactors (aka "potatoes") are essentially required for every endgame weapon/Warframe and they only pop up as rewards for random Alert missions. During a good week there might be 2-3 chances to get one. Hopefully you catch the Alert (they can occur at any random time, 24/7/365) or have the greatest lucky streak of all time and acquire a bunch through daily login rewards because those are the only ways to get potatoes and you'll need a lot of them if you're like me and enjoy switching up your weapons and using different Warframes. The best Aura mod in the game can also only be acquired as an Alert reward. It randomly pops up about once every two weeks on average. The Warframe helmets are another good example. Those seem to pop up just about bi-weekly as well, and if you don't want to spend 75 platinum apiece then Alerts are the only way to get them.

Nightmare Mode is also excellent because completing a mission awards you a guaranteed Rare mod that can only be earned in Nightmare. The Nightmare mods are great because they all have two affixes, both positive (example). Nightmare missions only show up on a given planet after you've cleared every single one of the planet's missions. Even after 100 hours I've still not completed many missions, so every now and then I'll knock some out if none of my friends are available and there's not much Void activity in chat. I don't give even half a fuck about the random Capture mission I'm doing on Mars -- I'm only doing it because I initially skipped it when I first made my way through the planet. I'm only here to unlock Nightmare Mode on Mars! The faster I can get through the mission, the faster I can get back to actually progressing.

Hopefully that makes sense. =P

I think this shows that there is a marked difference between how and why people play video games in general.

You seem to enjoy the game in a way that becoming more powerful in the most efficient way is important to you. On the flip side, I enjoy it (and most games for that matter) because I like seeing my character on screen being a badass with a group of other badasses. I like sort of roleplaying the character and getting immersed in the game. Saying that, I still upgrade my mods/warframes/weapons per usual. My Glaive, Braton, and Excalibur are rank 30 armed with potatos, but it's usually just a means to progress to new areas and experience a larger challenge or see my character become even more of a badass. I hardly ever do that in the most efficient way possible.

In an RPG, I'm the kind of guy that won't wear a more powerful piece of armor if it doesn't look as good as my current armor. Warframe is a lot like that. When I join a spy mission, I like to play through it like I think the Tenno would. I swear it sounds more nerdy than it actually is. I guess I just like to focus on each mission and the current, instead of the reward at the end of it. I'm never really concerned with having the best of the best when it comes to gear/mods/etc. Different motivations I guess. Though I imagine the longer people play the game and it's less fresh to them and understand all it's systems that they will shift towards your viewpoint no doubt.

All that said, I completely see where you're coming from-I don't see the way I play the game as any better than the way you play the game. The fact that we can get different things out of the same game is a testament to it's quality.

I love that people play games for different reasons. It's awesome. But I also think it's what leads to a lot of disagreement because people often don't stop to think where the other is coming from.

I disagree. I think this is kind of what I'm talking about. I enjoy both Monster Hunter and Warframe, but I imagine for different reasons than you do.

U11 also changes one major thing. Sprinting is no longer needed for wallrunning.

Please come to PS4 now

Sykotik

I went back into the thread and invited roughly 25 people that asked.

If you did not get an invitation;

• You gave an incorrect username or forgot to add one.
  • You are already in a clan, or have a pending clan invite you need to decline.
  • I missed your post.

To accept your invite, or decline a pending invite - Get to the main menu of the game, press the Options button on the PS4 controller, move down to the clan icon (looks like a badge, or shield), then go from there.

If you would like an invitation, you can PM me, or post in this thread. If you post in this thread, make sure to include "clan" so I have an easier time finding it, if it happens to get buried.

• I missed your post.

To accept your invite, or decline a pending invite - Get to the main menu of the game, press the Options button on the PS4 controller, move down to the clan icon (looks like a badge, or shield), then go from there.

If you would like an invitation, you can PM me, or post in this thread. If you post in this thread, make sure to include "clan" so I have an easier time finding it, if it happens to get buried.

I left my other clan. Go ahead and send the invite again PSN: Novais350

CLAN

• I missed your post.

On and In-game.

Need a good Transmute Tutorial.

HORRORSHØW

• I missed your post.

Thanks for the invite.

• I missed your post.

I would like an invite please. PSN: QuantumS

Mod transmutation? Crash-course; spend a boat load of credits for a random chance at getting something you could have got otherwise, but most likely something you already have. It is random.

*saves credits*

How do you tell which ones you've finished? I thought I saw checkmarks, but apparently not.

FUME5

Chipped in for the toxic shotgun research. Game doesn't make it all that clear about where you need to go to access the research options.

Sykotik

*saves credits*

How do you tell which ones you've finished? I thought I saw checkmarks, but apparently not.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing, here. Checkmarks for what?

Transmutation isn't worth using at this moment. Fusion is important. Fusion is how you level-up mods.

You can combine mods to level the selected mod, or use fusion cores to level them, as well.

Top Bottom