• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warframe |OT| Ninjas Play Free - PS4

Kalren

I'm still new to this but I'd like to throw my name in the ring.

PSN: Xostas

That said, I've been playing and leveling my gear, but I'm still a pretty raw recruit(just started earth missions). I do have some platinum burning a hole in my bank so I would like a suggestion on somthing to buy. I have a Loki frame( I had no idea what I was doing) but pretty much only the initial gear. I know I should focus on buying slots, but a little something would be fun to pick up.

Any suggestions?

SnakeEyes

Banned
Not sure how to accept your invite to the clan? Don't feel bad, the game does a shitty job of explaining itself. Here's what you do.
Haha Mol, that's perfect!

I finally got my 2nd Frame underway after what feels like a goddamn age (I started a week ago) and it's Volt! Seems like he's going to be a Ranged DPS sort of character, which I like, but I don't have ny of his Ability mods yet :-/

Also, I seem to have acquired an extra set of the Seer Pistol parts and when I went to sell them for credits to build my Frame, I see that the Sell function is still using what looks to be the PC setup and I could not sell the items. I take it that this is a known bug that needs to be fixed? When the Trading functionality comes in with Update 11, will we be able to trade those sorts of components, or will it only allow Mod cards to be traded?

And on the subject of Tower keys, if you see me online I'm always up for T1 and T2 missions, so just send an invite if you want people.

lol @ mol, last pic was epic!

Quick question, y'know hiw we get log in rewards? Well today I got a Vasto handgun (I think it was a Vasto) but I don't see it anywhere? Do I still need to buy it or something?

Edgeward

lol @ mol, last pic was epic!

Quick question, y'know hiw we get log in rewards? Well today I got a Vasto handgun (I think it was a Vasto) but I don't see it anywhere? Do I still need to buy it or something?

Look in your foundry. If not there, you might gotten xp for it. Sometimes you get that even for weapons you don't have, so it's a wasted day

Like Diablo, Warframe is a game about acquiring better gear. Unlike Diablo, the loot tables are static and, for the most part, known. "Gear" in Warframe == mods. If you set out to optimize your frame and weapons then you know exactly what mods you need and exactly where (and how often) you can get them. It's a waste of time for me to spent 30 minutes killing everything on some Rescue mission when the only reason I'm even doing the mission in the first place is to unlock one after it: a Survival mission that was carefully selected because the faction is Infested and it's Tier III. I need that mission unlocked so I can grind it repeteadly for the 6.67% chance that a Flow mod is given for the 20-minute reward tier.

This game is about optimizing your gear, and the most efficient way of doing that is through Survival and Endless Defense missions. I'll get at least twice as much XP and three times as many mods/Fusion Cores as you if I spend my 30 minutes on a Survival and you spend yours clearing every enemy and opening every container on a Rescue. Plus I have the chance to get one of my "optimal" mods at 20 minutes! Win/win/win. That Rescue mission is a mere hurdle, not something to be treasured.

As for Alerts, it's all about the rewards. There are many items that can only be acquired through alerts (or platinum, obviously). Orokin Catalysts and Reactors (aka "potatoes") are essentially required for every endgame weapon/Warframe and they only pop up as rewards for random Alert missions. During a good week there might be 2-3 chances to get one. Hopefully you catch the Alert (they can occur at any random time, 24/7/365) or have the greatest lucky streak of all time and acquire a bunch through daily login rewards because those are the only ways to get potatoes and you'll need a lot of them if you're like me and enjoy switching up your weapons and using different Warframes. The best Aura mod in the game can also only be acquired as an Alert reward. It randomly pops up about once every two weeks on average. The Warframe helmets are another good example. Those seem to pop up just about bi-weekly as well, and if you don't want to spend 75 platinum apiece then Alerts are the only way to get them.

Nightmare Mode is also excellent because completing a mission awards you a guaranteed Rare mod that can only be earned in Nightmare. The Nightmare mods are great because they all have two affixes, both positive (example). Nightmare missions only show up on a given planet after you've cleared every single one of the planet's missions. Even after 100 hours I've still not completed many missions, so every now and then I'll knock some out if none of my friends are available and there's not much Void activity in chat. I don't give even half a fuck about the random Capture mission I'm doing on Mars -- I'm only doing it because I initially skipped it when I first made my way through the planet. I'm only here to unlock Nightmare Mode on Mars! The faster I can get through the mission, the faster I can get back to actually progressing.

Hopefully that makes sense. =P
I missed this before, and thanks for answering.

Guess we're bizarro versions of each other, and like Gaz points out that's kind of a compliment to the game that it can entertain vastly different perspectives.

Ultimately for me it comes to down to enjoying the squad dynamic in combat, with the gear being a means to and end to open up higher level combat and alternate group combinations. Seems like for many players (sprinters I'll guess) the missions themselves are just a means to the top tier builds and gear, to which I have to ask: If the missions are just a means to the gear, why do you even want the high end gear? That gear has only one purpose - to help you tune your gameplay for certain groups and missions, right?.

Or do you find that only the end-game missions are enjoyable moment to moment (sans rewards)?

So it's a PS4 only thread now? What about PC?

PC OT was made loooong ago, just hidden away in Community. Then this thread was made. Though, I believe this thread was suppose to be aimed more toward PS4. I asked for a title change since PS4 chaps were finding their way into the lonely PC thread asking for PS4 clan invites ;)

molnizzle

Ultimately for me it comes to down to enjoying the squad dynamic in combat, with the gear being a means to and end to open up higher level combat and alternate group combinations. Seems like for many players (sprinters I'll guess) the missions themselves are just a means to the top tier builds and gear, to which I have to ask: If the missions are just a means to the gear, why do you even want the high end gear? That gear has only one purpose - to help you tune your gameplay for certain groups and missions, right?.

Or do you find that only the end-game missions are enjoyable moment to moment (sans rewards)?

Exactly. We want the high-end gear so we can do the high-end missions. Well-geared groups on PC can do 2-hour Survival missions and 100+ wave Defense missions. I want to be able to do that shit. That's where the fun is. That's where the real game is. The basic missions on the planetary map are equipped with training wheels, but after the first two planets you pretty much know how to ride. At that point it's all about getting geared so you can tackle the endgame content.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Eh, from what I've heard, half the skills and warframes become near useless at higher tiers. That doesn't sound like fun to me. Min/maxing sucks the life out of many games.

PSN: kenjen2015, sorry for the confusion. I was thinking of something else. Probably why you didn't see anything if you did sent that invite

Look in your foundry. If not there, you might gotten xp for it. Sometimes you get that even for weapons you don't have, so it's a wasted day

Thanks for answering, looks like I just got XP :(

I've contributed some stuff to the clan research, no idea what that means or what the outcome of the researches that I contributed to are, but it can only be a good thing :p

Edgeward

Clan research allows access to blueprints that anyone in the clan to buy. Some are for materials, which are then required to make some of the weapons and sentinels available to research as well. Be aware weapons usually require forma to make so have a extra 20 plat on the side if there is a gun being researched you want to make.

SnakeEyes

Banned
And the rewards for them are Rare mods with Pos/Neg effects, right? Only Rare mods with Pos/Pos effects are from Nightmare missions, correct?

molnizzle

And the rewards for them are Rare mods with Pos/Neg effects, right? Only Rare mods with Pos/Pos effects are from Nightmare missions, correct?

Corrupted mods are only from opening the Orokin Vault within each Derelict mission. To open the vault you need the corresponding Dragon key. There are 4 different Dragon keys, each one with its own rather serious 75% debuff. Since you don't want to be walking in with all 4 keys in your inventory and you don't know which key is going to open the vault, it's common practice for each player to bring a different key so the collective group can open the vault no matter what.

That's only if you want a corrupted mod though. Derelict missions work just like any other if you don't bring any Dragon keys. You just won't be able to open the Orokin Vault if/when you find it.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Corrupted mods are only from opening the Orokin Vault within each Derelict mission. To open the vault you need the corresponding Dragon key. There are 4 different Dragon keys, each one with its own rather serious 75% debuff. Since you don't want to be walking in with all 4 keys in your inventory and you don't know which key is going to open the vault, it's common practice for each player to bring a different key so the collective group can open the vault no matter what.

That's only if you want a corrupted mod though. Derelict missions work just like any other if you don't bring any Dragon keys. You just won't be able to open the Orokin Vault if/when you find it.
Ahh excellent, so the corrupted mods aren't the sole reward for doing the Derelict missions. Makes me more inclined to give them a go now :)

Mrcapcom

Drop me a line! Should be on later tonight as well as tomorrow. I have a few keys still and would very much like to complete Mag prime.

Had a couple great rounds with GAF clanners already - thanks for the invite!
So missed this so what's your psn? I'm trying to make frost prime

SnakeEyes

Banned
I'll be on tonight (in 2ish hours) after the movies with my wife, need more credits to build a new Melee weapon, while I wait 3 days for Volt to finish :)

Einbroch

Banned
Orokin Derelict Key runs- To grab Golem Nav Coordinate to make Orokin Derelict Assassinate Key
Orokin Derelict Assassinate Key- To fight the end boss right now(drops Nekros gear)

Tower runs are for rare mod drops and Prime Warframe drops
Orokin Key runs have Dragon doors in them which always has a rare mod, that is if you have the right Dragon Key to open the door

Game is about progression. There's plenty of missions to do. But yes there is an end game.
That's not really end game. That's grinding easy enemies to get loot to...grind more easy enemies. That's not really an end game. There should be a few bosses/raids that are very hard but drop mods that you cannot get anywhere else. OD Assassinate boss is incredibly easy and only drops a Warframe.

I dunno, there's just nothing to do but grind for no reason with no challenge.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Void missions are good for credits. Bring more people for more credits!
Yeah I've done 2-3 T1 Defs and Survs every time I've logged in recently. I always try and get Clan members in but barely anyone replies. I've grabbed FUME5 a couple of times though :)

FUME5

Yeah I've done 2-3 T1 Defs and Survs every time I've logged in recently. I always try and get Clan members in but barely anyone replies. I've grabbed FUME5 a couple of times though :)
Yeah, cheers for that mate. Playing a few rounds of War Thunder before going back to Warframe. Got keys to use.

NeOak

everyone needs to get a USB keyboard for this game. Seriously :(

SnakeEyes

Banned
Just out of curiosity, how many people have dropped Platinum on the colour packs? Seriously tempted to buy either the Classic or Classic Saturated packs simply for some variety!

HORRORSHØW

How do you send messages to all clan members? Sometimes when I need help clearing a node I want to send a shout out but I don't know how.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Options Button -> Chat (1st option) -> Clan.
By default there's a Region chatroom, a Clan one and a Recruiting one. If you're in a squad, a Squad one appears.

casmith07

GAH I CANT STOP PLAYING THIS

Now my warframe is all white and stuff, aw yeah. Looks so fancy.

I play a Black/White Excalibur colored kind of like Storm Shadow from GI Joe with Aklatos and Dual Ethers.

Once update 11 goes live, I would love to trade someone for the North Winds mod so I can add freeze to my Ethers instead of Shocking Touch.

casmith07

Just out of curiosity, how many people have dropped Platinum on the colour packs? Seriously tempted to buy either the Classic or Classic Saturated packs simply for some variety!

I bought Smoke, Classic, and Classic Saturated.

This is one game I don't mind micro transactions. DE has done such a phenomenal job with the base free game that it's worth it to me to give them a little money to hopefully continue expanding this one.

If they can fix remote play controls on Vita, or allow for custom mapping, I'll love them forever.

molnizzle

I've spent a lot. More money than I'd spend on most CE's.

I've already played for a ridiculous amount of time though, with no end in sight. I regret nothing. :)

SnakeEyes

Banned
I've spent a lot. More money than I'd spend on most CE's.

I've already played for a ridiculous amount of time though, with no end in sight. I regret nothing. :)
Yeah if you've dropped serious hours into a game, things like microtransactions bother you less and less :)

That being said, if (when? have we heard if we'll actually get them?) we get the Daily Bonus Plat Discounts, I'll be buying a lot of Platinum.

Top Bottom