• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the Community Forum There Is Only War

I always saw Ultramarines as the perfect Roman-esque legion. I never had issues with them and never understood the hate either.

Blood Angels have always been my bread and butter. I think it's the juxtaposition between angel and vampire that I really like about them. They also have such an important and well documented history in the lore and I have been with them since their inception.

I like their color scheme, the way they are organized, the Death Company, special characters/vehicles, and all that gold and gaudy armor. Virtually every Blood Angels unit looks like other army's special units on the field of battle.

The Sanguinary Guard is just an amazing unit.

ZKTseqs.jpg

Honey Bunny

I like the Blood Angels aesthetic a whole lot, but those guys (and I feel, a lot of the newer models) are overkill. Commander Dante remains the perfect BA figurine. Lemartes a close second.

Showaddy

So I'm reading the HH book Scars that's been released as a number of fragments and it's bloody awesome. Jaghatai Khan's comes across as a really great character: he absolutely hates his tribal savage image and despises the Space Wolves for actively cultivating the same image, he also just wants to be a scholar. Also his only friends happen to be Horus & Magnus, and Horus contacts Jaghatai and tells him Leman Russ has turned traitor and has murdered Magnus...

Also funnily enough bearing in mind the arguments over female marines a while back we now get this little snippet: Malcador smiled. ‘You brothers – such a nest of rivalries. I warned him to make you sisters, that it would make things more civilised. He thought I was joking. I wasn’t.’ Basically if he'd wanted to Teh Emprah could have created female Primarchs and thus female marines from their genes...

Enosh

as far as favorite chapters go I probably like dark angels the most
the color scheme is nice with the dark green, cool logo, the whole "even more knightly" feel to them and the robes, plus their a bit shady past COMPLETE LOYALTY TO THE EMPEROR
also space wolves, but that's more or less for the "vikings, but in SPAAACE" aspect

from the chaos legions I like World Eaters the most with their melee focus, really need to start reading those HH books focused on them heard good things about them

Karakand

Also funnily enough bearing in mind the arguments over female marines a while back we now get this little snippet: Malcador smiled. ‘You brothers – such a nest of rivalries. I warned him to make you sisters, that it would make things more civilised. He thought I was joking. I wasn’t.’ Basically if he'd wanted to Teh Emprah could have created female Primarchs and thus female marines from their genes...

Chris Wraight lurks GAF confirmed.

Sounds a lot better than I was expecting it to be--though the HH aspect of it seems a little contrived--can't wait to listen to the audio book in 3 years.

So I'm reading the HH book Scars that's been released as a number of fragments and it's bloody awesome. Jaghatai Khan's comes across as a really great character: he absolutely hates his tribal savage image and despises the Space Wolves for actively cultivating the same image, he also just wants to be a scholar. Also his only friends happen to be Horus & Magnus, and Horus contacts Jaghatai and tells him Leman Russ has turned traitor and has murdered Magnus...

You are going to pay so much for that book!

Draxal

I'll never get the hate for smurfs
I mean they are not my favorite, but I don't dislike them either

I think the previous codex focused all the hatred onto the ultramarines. Lack of characters for say the Iron Hands, while the Ultra gets six including a tank commander.

Plus the fluff was just pure all space marines shed tears because they aren't ultramarines.

The western influences on japanese game art got me to remember this post I made years ago. Figured I might as well post it here as well.

This just blew my mind.

Z0049174.jpg

Take a look at those three guys in the back. I knew that they looked familer until just recently. Turns out the're pretty much copies of Warhammer 40k Rogue Trader era Space Marines. It's most obvious if you look at the one with the beaked helmet on the left.

126940_sm-Blood%20Angels%2C%20Honour%20Guard%2C%20Rogue%20Trader%2C%20Space%20Marines %2C%20Warhammer%2040%2C000.jpg

The one on the left of the Strider pic has the beaked helmet, the wierdly porportioned shoulder pads of the first few minis and the gun is a direct copy of a Bolter. With the one in the middle you can clearly see that the sharp kneecaps are almost a direct copy of the Rouge Trader era minis where they were part of the leg armor and came to a point instead of being seperate and rounded. . The one on the right is carrying what I think is the old version of the Melta or Flamer. All of them have those weird cables on thier body which I think is the most telling sign of where they come from though. I'm not sure but I think the faces are copies though I would have to do a bit of research to prove that.

I just wonder how much more stuff Warhammer has inspired. And it is certainly interesting to know that even then the franchise was already known then.

Yeah that is probably the big one.

Another I've heard was that Warhammer was responsible for implanting the idea of Orcs being green.

Ohnonono

Not 40k but painted stuff non the less. This is from Hordes/Warmachine another mini game. I swear I will paint my space marine I have for you guys one day. Maybe do him GAF colors.

LLedqpHl.jpg

obin_gam

Okay, so HORUS RISING is done. And while it was slow as hell in the two thirds, it really picked up the pace in the last third with the Intersect diplomacy arc. Loved the ending.

Am in the middle of FALSE GODS now,
Horus has just "fallen" and is lying on the apothecarys table
, and this is way better than the previous book and I cant wait to continue the story tomorrow (I listen to the audiobooks on my way to and from work). As I was listening today, it occured to me - this is what the Star Wars Prequels should have been. It is basically the same story, just with other words. The differance being Horus is actually likeable which will make his destiny all the more tragic.

Meteorain

Okay, so HORUS RISING is done. And while it was slow as hell in the two thirds, it really picked up the pace in the last third with the Intersect diplomacy arc. Loved the ending.

Am in the middle of FALSE GODS now,
Horus has just "fallen" and is lying on the apothecarys table
, and this is way better than the previous book and I cant wait to continue the story tomorrow (I listen to the audiobooks on my way to and from work). As I was listening today, it occured to me - this is what the Star Wars Prequels should have been. It is basically the same story, just with other words. The differance being Horus is actually likeable which will make his destiny all the more tragic.

The power of Charisma, oh what it does to characters.

Tacitus_

And - as I forgot to mention - intesesting and fantastical stakes, and violence and real war is a helluva lot more fun to experience than constant whining ;)

Oh there will be whining.

"Daddy doesn't love me :(, so I'm going to burn down the galaxy FOR CHAOS"

well there was a lot more than daddy issues, but that's the flaw they exploited to make Horus fall

Meteorain

Oh there will be whining.

"Daddy doesn't love me :(, so I'm going to burn down the galaxy FOR CHAOS"

well there was a lot more than daddy issues, but that's the flaw they exploited to make Horus fall

Well, whining is normally just words.

He started putting shit to Fire and Sword.

BTW the latest episode of The Independent Characters podcast has an interview with the guy behind 'The Lord Inquisitor' (the fan-made CG short in the works that got approval from GW) - didn't realise he worked at Crytek for a bit!

http://theindependentcharacters.com/blog/?p=3134

If you didn't see his trailer from a while ago it's over here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7glPda2Lcc

Thanks again for the podcast recommendation guys, really enjoying it! The hosts seem to be on the same hobby wavelength as me, I've listened to a bunch of their archived episodes now :)

Started playing Dawn of War - picked up a bare-bones copy on Amazon for $4. I really like the flow and the trench warfare feel of the battles. Can anyone tell me what expansions are worth investing in?

grendelrt

Started playing Dawn of War - picked up a bare-bones copy on Amazon for $4. I really like the flow and the trench warfare feel of the battles. Can anyone tell me what expansions are worth investing in?

I loved dark crusade, the risk game play and added rpg mechanics were fun.

Showaddy

Winter Assault & Dark Crusade are both great. Campaigns aside they're worth it just for the new Guard, Necron & Tau armies.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Winter Assault & Dark Crusade are both great. Campaigns aside they're worth it just for the new Guard, Necron & Tau armies.

i definitely like the honor guard units in dark crusade, and i ended up liking the winter assault campaign ever so slightly more than the DoW one , which was awesome with the inquisition unit.

One thing I really didn't like in DoWII was the decreased unit count and the removal of synchronized kill animations on every melee kill.

Actually DoWII did have sync kills but they only happened about 2/10s of the time and presented an issue when you were chasing down enemies with melee and getting tangled up because of a chance sync kill where this wasn't really an issue in DoWI as everyone had them.

If we ever do get a DoWIII I'd like it if they could bring back the increased unit count and the sync kills that made melee combat really fun to watch.

obin_gam

Okay, now I've finished THH II - FALSE GODS and it was fantastic. Tragic as well. I'm still very confused by all the names and can only distinguish about three or four character without mixing them up though, their names are so uncommon so they all sound the same after a while lol. Since it was the abridged version I surely missed alot of characterisation, and it felt rushed in some points, but that didnt make the story any less intruiging. The best part was the last third with
Horus' vision of the future on the Shrineworld.

No on to Galaxy in Flames!

Showaddy

Still going through Scars, Jaghatai Khan is not a happy bunny lol... When he get's orders from Dorn & Malcador:

‘No!’ roared the Khan, long-burning anger suddenly bursting free. ‘I will not take direction from anyone, not even from a Throneworld that only now, now that its Legions are tearing one another to pieces, deigns to remember that it has eighteen warrior-sons at its service!’

And when he's confronted by both the Space Wolves & Alpha Legion and has to decide who has turned traitor:

"Then who is the enemy now, Khagan?" he asked. "that is all I need to know."
"They are all the enemy," said the Khan, striding to the doorway that would take him to the bridge. "They always have been."

Khan really doesn't like Leman Russ by the way and is really chummy with Horus & Magnus. You really see why Horus expected him to turn traitor during the book.

D

Deleted member 309291

Unconfirmed Member
I'm reading The Guns of Tanith(book 5 of the Gaunt's Ghosts) right now, and damn, it seems like Abnett is always trying to outdo himself with the ridiculous death descriptions, but I just read one so ridiculous that I couldn't contain my laughter, here it is in all its splendor:
His carcass had been messily eviscerated by sidelong las-fire, and ropes of steaming entrails spilled out of it like the tentacles of some beached cephalopod.

WTF

Top Bottom